Chapter 2: Captains decision
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'So that’s the captain of the basketball team. That is why the ninth graders reacted like that.'

“Hans, did I get that right? You played against a sixth grader for the court and lost?”

Hans did not answer.He clenched his fist and looked at the floor.

"Hans. You're a ninth grader and part of the basketball club and you dare lose to a sixth grader?"

Hans didn't answer again. He just looked at the floor in despair.

"Hans. Do you know what your defeat will do to our club? Word will get out that a member of the basketball club lost to a sixth grader.Do you think they'll be able to take us seriously after this?"

Hans again could not answer. He continued to look at the ground in despair.

"Hans. How will you answer for your actions?"

Hans continued to look desperately at the ground but this time managed to whisper something, "I...I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry? What am I supposed to do with this? Does an ’I’m sorry' bring back the honour of the basketball club?”

Hans could not answer again.

“Hans --”

“Excuse me, captain, but I’d like to ask you something?” Everyone looked at me in shock as I dared to interrupt the captain.

The captain stared at me with the most terrifying look I’ve ever seen. But suddenly something unexpected happened. He laughed.

“Hahahah. You have guts."

’Is it so unusual to interrupt a captain?' I thought to myself.

“What do you want?” he continued coldly.

“I would like to join the Basketball Club!”

And here they're the shocked faces of the people. But this time they were way more extreme. Some looked as if they were angry at me while some were just stunned. I guess this whole situation is a little too much for them.

“So you’d like to join the basketball club?” he looked at me coldly and just said,

“BOY DON’T GET AHEAD OF YOUR SELF!”

Huh. What does he mean by that? Am I overestimating myself? But I won against Hans. I know it wasn’t a normal 1v1 but I still won.And I’ve only been playing basketball since yesterday mustn't that mean I have talent?

“What do you mean?”I asked confused.

“I don’t need any more bad players in my club."

“But I won against Hans!And I--”

“Are you going to tell me you would win against Hans in a normal 1v1?!"

I couldn’t answer. He was right in a normal 1v1 I would most likely have lost. But I’m only a sixth grader who’s been playing for a day, so it’s obvious that I’d lose to Hans.

After a short pause I answered,

"I'm a sixth grader and I've only been playing basketball for one day. I can only get better that's why you should give me a chance!"

"It's not my job to teach you basketball. You would just drag down practice and not be able to keep up. Besides, the basketball club is only for seventh to ninth graders so you wouldn't be able to join anyway. Just keep practicing and try again next year." he declared gravely.

That's it. He totally denied me. I didn't know the basketball club was only for seventh to ninth graders. What am I supposed to do now?

"Hey Julius, I think you should give that boy a chance."

I felt someone behind me put his arm over my shoulder as if we were buddies. When I turned around I saw the person who was talking. He was a white blond boy with blue eyes about 5'9 tall.He didn't seem very strong,more lanky but what stood out were his long arms. The person looked familiar. I know he was in the seventh grade but I forgot his name.

"Lucas. How many times do I have to tell you to call me captain?!"

"Sorry sorry captain," Lucas obviously didn't apologize seriously.

What's going on? So his name is Lucas but why is he allowed to talk to the captain of the basketball club like that. Even the ninth graders are scared of the captain but Lucas doesn't seem to care. And why does he want that I get a chance. We don't even know each other.

"Why should I give him a chance?" the captain asked seriously.

"Because he has potential. Of course he'll never get to me though. Hahahaha," Lucas commented, laughing stupidly.

The captain just shook his head.

"Did you not hear my reasons just now."

"Yes, I did. But when I was a sixth grader, I was allowed to train with you too."

"You are different. You were better than most ninth graders back then."

“Hahaha of course, but that’s my point. It’s not about the class, it’s about your skill! If you’re good enough, you can play."

“That may be true, but this guy is not good enough."

“Not good enough yet. As I said, I think he has potential. Give him a few months and he’ll be able to easily beat people like Hans."

“Lucas, what are you saying?! Do you really think I would lose to a sixth grader in a normal 1v1?!"

“Silence loser! A loser like you doesn’t have a say.“

Although Hans was older, Lucas looked down on him.

“LUCAS!!!!” Hans shouted in anger.

“That’s enough."

Those words from the captain were enough to bring down the angry Hans.

“Sixth grader."

“Y-Yes?”

“I’ll give you one month.In a month you’re going to do a 1v1 against Hans again and if you win I’ll allow you to join the Basketball Club."

“I got it. In a month, I’m going to defeat Hans!”

JULIUS (Captain POV)

He seems to have confidence, but I don’t think he’ll be able to beat Hans in a month’s time. A month is not much time, especially for someone who just started playing. But if he’s really talented, a month should be enough.

“Lucas, Hans, let’s go."

“Aye, Aye Captain,“ Lucas replied with a silly grin. Sometimes I wonder how such an idiot can be so good at basketball.

“Hans."

“Yes?”

“I will not accept failure!”

“Never in life will I lose to him again!”

Hans seemed very pissed off. The anger in his eyes might resembles that of a boy who sees his family’s murderer. The humiliation Hans experienced today should be enough to keep him motivated for a month.

"Good, I hope you keep what you say. Now get out."

Hans went away and now I was alone with Lucas. Lucas seemed to be bored and wanted to go away, when I stopped him.

"Lucas, what are your real reasons?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb."

“You really don’t miss anything, captain.All right, I’ll tell you. Mike is my little brother."

“What?!"

“Hahaha just kidding. I just don't want to be the youngest in the club anymore, so he was just right for me."

"That's it?"

"Yup. But I have to go now bye,"and so he went away.

That Lucas guy always does what he wants. So was the potential thing was a lie? Anyway, in a month we’ll see if he does have potential or not.

MIKE POV

In a month I have to be better than Hans, with that in mind I went to the basketball court near my house. It was only ten minutes on foot but if I hurried I made it in five minutes. It was afternoon and it wasn’t dark yet also the weather was good,so the perfect conditions to play basketball.

The court could not be properly called a basketball court, because it was a soccer court that had basketball hoops on the sides. It was possible to train on the hoops because the lines of the normal basketball field were present. But there was still a hoop on the other side of the soccer field. This hoop was separated by a large grid wall from the soccer field. This made it possible to play basketball without being disturbed by soccer players.

Arriving at the court I saw people playing soccer. Since I wanted to train undisturbed, I went to the court on the other side when I saw someone training there.

It was a tall black man with a lebron James jersey on which really highlighted his muscles. The person just hit a deep three. He grabbed the rebound and dribbled back to the three-point line, where he began to execute a variety of dribble combinations at top speed, whether it was through his legs or behind his back, he dribbled without losing the ball once.

'He's good!' I thought excitedly.

Suddenly he went up for a shot, or so it seemed, because it was only a fake. He drived to the basket with excellent speed. A few feet from the basket, however, he did something unexpected: he jumped into the air.

'No way?!' I thought, "He's not going to..?!'

He dunked!!!

That’s not possible, is it? Am I dreaming? I’ve never seen a dunk in real life before. That’s when I made up my mind.

’He must become my coach!'

I went in and wanted to talk to him when I realized who the person really was. It was the basketball player from yesterday who helped me pick out a good ball.

When I remember correctly his name was Jones.

“Jones?”

“Who are you? How do you know my name?”

He seemed obviously confused,has he forgotten me already?

"I'm Mike. Remember at the sport shop yesterday I wasn't sure which ball I should pick. But you helped me."

After that sentence, he seemed to have remembered.

"Oh so you're the boy from yesterday. Are you here to try out your new ball?"

"I've played with the ball before. I'm here to train."

“Well, have fun.“

He turned around and continued his training.

“Hey Jones?”

“What is it?”

“Become my coach!”

“No."

That no came fast.

“Why not?” I asked ignorantly.

“Why should I?” he answered only.

That’s a legitimate question. Why would he coach me if he didn’t have a reason to. I guess I should have explained my situation to him beforehand.

I explained my situation and that I have to be good enough to win against Hans in a month.

"Okay but that's not my problem."

"I know,but without proper training I won't be able to beat Hans. And after watching you play I'm convinced you're the real deal!"

"If you need real training sign up for a basketball club outside from school. There are people who get paid to train you."

"There are basketball clubs outside from school??"

I was quite surprised to hear that, since basketball is not very popular in Germany and most people only play soccer anyway, I didn't think there would be any basketball clubs outside from school.

"Of course,why wouldn't there be. If you want to play competitive basketball you have to join a club anyway."

"Why is that? Isn't the school club enough?"

"Unlike America, school basketball in Germany is more for fun. There is usually only one tournament once a year where you play against neighbouring schools, if you want to play competitively you have to be in a club." Jones declared eagerly.

"I see."

That means I should probably join a club.So even if I would lose the 1v1 in a month it wouldn't be that bad,since the school club is more for fun anyway. Still I don't like the idea of loosing.

“I got it!” I shouted.

Jones looked at me confused.

“I’m going to let you coach me and still join a basketball club, so I’m definitely going to be better than Hans. And after I beat Hans, I’m going to join the school’s basketball team.With so much training I’m going to be the best player!” I proudly announced my master plan.

Jones just shook his head and said, “I told you I’m not going to train you."

“But I need you!”

"Just join a fucking club!"

"Who knows if that's enough.With your training I'm sure I'll win the 1v1."

"Alright, just answer me one question."

I nodded without knowing what was coming.

"What's your goal in basketball?" he asked seriously.

That was an unexpected question. I was actually expecting everything but not that. What exactly does he mean by goal? Beating Hans and join the school basketball club,nah. I think he means what I want to achieve in basketball. Although I've only been playing for one day I already know my goal. There is one thing that every basketball player wants to achieve.

"When I do something I want to be the best at it. That's why there's only one goal for me:NBA!"

"Of course such an answer would come,"

Jones stated but suddenly his expression changed completely and he looked at me with dead serious eyes.

“AND BECAUSE OF THAT I WILL NOT TRAIN YOU!"

0