Chapter 5: Battle
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I got ball.

Hans is in his defensive stance. He doesn’t seem to underestimate me this time because he’s defending properly. His defensive stance doesn’t seemed relaxed like Lucas' or Jones’ it looked more serious.

And then his gaze. Like a hungry predator that sees its prey. He really exerts a strong pressure.

But somehow I’m not impressed. Maybe it’s because I’ve had to play against a real monster every day for the past two weeks.

I started dribbling the ball with my right hand and used my left hand and my body to protect it. Hans reacted and came even closer to pressure me. That might have worked with my old me.

But I took two steps back so I could make room between us. As I had suspected, Hans came immediately behind to close the gap.

At that moment, I made a hard crossover and went pass him. This was only possible due to my hard ball handling training that I pulled every day.

I passed Hans and drove to the basket. I went up to for the layup but suddenly Hans was next to me.

’I thought I left him behind?!'

“GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE!!!” he shouted.

He blocked my shot.

“Wooooooaaaaahhhh!!!!” the whole crowd started cheering.

“Did you really think you could get past me that easily?!"

’Shit!' 

I was too hasty and underestimated him. Today is not going to be an easy game!

Hans dribbled out and I defended him.

He dribbled relative safely even though I defended closely. For a while he dribbled only on the spot and did not start a move. I defended nevertheless cautiously. Suddenly he went full speed over right. Without crossover or any other moves. He just used his speed.

But this won't work on me today. He couldn’t shake me off I was still standing in front of him and he couldn’t get past.

“Did you really think you could get past me that easily?!"

I used the exact same words he used before so I could provoke him. It seems to have worked. Hans was pissed off.

“Arrogant boy!”

Hans was still in possession of the ball. He kept dribbling safely and watched me. Then he started to go over left. I defended him good, but then he did something unexpected. He turned to the right and suddenly I was no longer in front of him but behind him.

A spin move!

Jones also used this move a few times, but I never really could defend it. Hans took the chance to score and made a layup.

“1 to 0," Hans said while going back to the three point line.

I didn’t react because it doesn't mean shit. We play until 10 of course Hans would score a point.

We played make it take it, so Hans was still in possession of the ball because he scored. He didn’t dribble yet he just watched how I defend. I left some space between us to test if he shoots. If he really improved his shot, he would take that chance.

When he realized he had enough room to shoot, he didn’t hesitate. He jumped right away. I jumped up to prevent the shot but was too late.

He hit the shot!!!

Hans who was known not to be able to shoot hit the shot.

Fuck!

If he can really shoot now, I’ve got a problem.

“Don’t underestimate me," he stated coldly.

“Wooooooowww!!!!” the crowd began to cheer. They were obviously also surprised that Hans hit.

The problem with this shot was that it was a three, so he scores two points!

“3-0," he just said.

This time he dribbled right away. He probably thought he could catch me off guard, which of course didn’t happen. He went over right again and tried a layup, but since I was there to contest the shot he didn’t make it.

I got the rebound and dribbled out to the three point line. Hans didn’t defend me as closely as before but still relatively close. I’m three points behind and a three counts for two, so it would be good if I make a three right now to get two points.

That’s what Hans most likely expects of me.

I pretended to shoot and caught Hans. He jumped up. I took this chance and went past him with full speed. Making an easy layup I scored.

“3 to 1”, I said this time.

“Nice Fake," Junior shouted.

This time I was in possession of the ball. I didn’t dribble yet but watched Hans. He defended me more closely, firstly so I wouldn't shoot and secondly, to put me under pressure.

I took two steps back again to make room between us and this time Hans didn’t follow. I actually had enough space to shoot but I was two steps behind the three point line so it was too far away.

I picked up pace and tried to go over left with my speed. Hans seemed to be able to keep up with me and wouldn’t let me go to the basket.

But then I did something he didn’t expect. I turned over the middle to the right and was now in front of him.

Spin move!

I used the same move as him to get past him. I managed to finish it by a layup.

“Hey, that was the same move that the ninth grade just used, wasn’t it?” Kilian asked Junior excitedly.

“Yes, Mike is really amazing."

“Ouhh, I guess Hans didn’t expect that?” Lucas laughed.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself!” Hans shouted angrily.

It's 3 to 2 and I was on the attack. Hans was pissed off but still defended well. I have the chance to tie the game and I should take advantage of it.

I dribbled gently with my right hand and didn’t start a move yet. Then I decided to go right.

As expected, I couldn’t get past him, but that wasn’t my goal.

I stopped at about the level of the free throw line and took a shot.

But I missed.

Hans quickly got the rebound and dribbled out. Having no time to grieve over my missed shot, I quickly started defending.

Hans didn’t hesitate either. He immediately drove over left but couldn’t get past me. He dribbled back to the three point line and started again. This time he went over left again. At least it seemed so because he made a quick crossover between his legs and went to the basket.

He got me!

I reacted too late and he scored. I really have to admit that Hans got good ball handling.

Without saying the score this time, he went straight on. He was highly focused and didn’t seem to hold back. He started doing all kinds of dribble moves but all on the spot. I stayed focused and waited for him to start something.

After a while he suddenly drove full speed over the right. I was a bit surprised but was able to keep up. In the past I probably wouldn’t be able to react at all. The training with Jones really paid off.

He stopped suddenly and went up for the shot, but I was there and held my hands up but...

It was just a fake!!!

He took the chance and went to the basket. He tried a layup but I was already back. I was late but still able to touch the ball. This touch was enough to keep the ball from going in. I jumped up to get the rebound, but Hans jumped up too.

He got the rebound.

With the ball in his hand, he immediately went up and finished hard.

’Fuck!!!'

It was only a matter of time before it became apparent. Hans is physically superior to me. He is taller, stronger and older than me of course he wins a rebound duel.

If he takes advantage of this, I’ve got a problem.

“Five to two, wait a little longer and you’ll be saved.” Hans seemed to be trying to provoke me, but I remained calm.

He was on the attack again. If he realized he could get the rebounds, I might not be able to attack anymore.

I must get the ball!

I left some space between us to get him to shoot. I know he has improved in shooting but nobody hits a hundred percent, and he’s further away from rebound.

“You still underestimate me?!"

“You must have been lucky earlier."

He responded to the provocation and shot the ball.

He missed.

Without hesitation, I immediately went to the rebound. But Hans, too. It was another rebound duel and this time Hans won again.

’Shit!!!'

Hans went up again and tried to finish. I also jumped up and contested his shot. The ball rolled in the rim. It seemed like an eternity. Is it going in or does it roll out again??

It went in!!!

“Let’s goooo!!!!!!!” Hans should loudly.

“Wooooooaaaaahhhh!!“ The crowd responded being on his side.

That this shot went in was just bad luck, but that puts me in a bad position now. He is up 6 to 2 and also has the momentum. Besides, he also seems to have realized that he can easily get rebounds against me.

I have to get the ball somehow. If I can’t get the ball through a rebound, there’s only one way left.

A steal.

I’ve got to try and steal the ball. But how? Hans is a damn good ball handler, but I have to make it. Now is my best chance. He’s probably very confident now and wouldn’t expect a steal.

Hans dribbled again on the spot. Trying to put pressure on him to get the ball wouldn’t work against him.

That’s why I’m doing the opposite.

I changed my defensive posture. I relaxed and went into the same defensive stance as Jones and Lucas.

It looks relaxed but you need maximum concentration. I focused on every move of Hans. My eyes just stared at him and my body waited for the slightest mistake from him. Just like an assassin waiting to attack.

Hans seemed to feel the pressure and dribbled more carefully, but decided to attack anyway. He drove over left but didn’t get pass me then he made a quick crossover and went over right.

’This is what I’ve been waiting for!'

It felt like the time slowed down and everything was in slow motion. When he made the crossover, I managed to tap the ball.

“A steal?!“ Lucas shouted surprised.

I was able to successfully bring the ball back into my possession. Hans seemed shocked too and couldn’t really realize what just happened.

I took this chance.

I dribbled out to the three point line and took a shot. Hans tried to stop me but it was already too late.

I splashed the shot!!!!

I looked Hans in his eyes and said,

“THE GAME ISN'T OVER YET!"

0