Chapter 29
569 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's fine for me to just wear my uniform…" Sei looked at Sugiura's pale blue shirt on his hand hesitantly.

"It's Saturday. You'll look weird there wearing a school uniform by yourself. It's not like I'm asking you to wear my underwear." Sugiura gave him a pair of shorts and a belt.

"I don't really care about something like that. And why shorts? I don't wear them outside."

Sugiura urged him into the bathroom, "It's more refreshing in this weather. I swear they'll look good on you."

Sei watched the door close in front of him. Sugiura has been acting strange since they woke up. He stopped him from saying good morning, turned on the light instead of letting the sun in, not let him check his phone, and now this.

When he exited the bathroom, Sugiura has also finished changing. Sei wanted to take his bag, but Sugiura stopped him again.

"What is it this time?" Sei crossed his arms.

"Just bring your phone and wallet. You can put it in my bag. Oh, and don't wear your glasses for today." Sugiura said as he put an umbrella into his bag.

"…"

Sei stared at him for a while, but Sugiura didn't seem like he wanted to explain. He sighed and decided not to ask. He put his wallet into Sugiura's bag and his phone in his pocket.

"Anything else?"

Sugiura scanned him up and down, "No, let's go."

As he promised, Sugiura took him to the venue where Daichi's tournament was held. They went there using a taxi. Along the way, Sugiura still didn't let him check his phone.

"You're aware of how strange you are acting, right?"

Sugiura nodded, "I know. But bear with me for today."

Once they arrived at the venue, Sei led them towards the hall their school was assigned to. Fortunately, he has memorized it before today, or else it would take some time for them to figure it out.

The only problem was how to meet up with Touya and Reita. The preliminary match would start in a few minutes.

After finding a seat for Sei, Sugiura left to help him search for Touya and Reita. He didn't forget to remind Sei to not look at his phone unless it was an emergency.

Sugiura returned with Touya and Reita a few minutes after the match started.

"Sei, we tried calling you, but it couldn't connect." Reita said while they sat down.

"Sorry, I forgot to charge."

"Did you come with Sugiura?" Touya asked.

Sei nodded, "Yes, sorry for the sudden change."

He didn't bother hiding it anymore. Touya knew everything anyway.

"Not a big deal. Let's focus on the match. I don't understand what's going on though." Reita waved it off nonchalantly.

The hall was wide enough to have 4 matches at the same time. It took less than an hour to reach Daichi's turn.

Touya said that Daichi was guaranteed to pass the preliminary looking at the list of opponent schools. The well-known powerhouses got divided into different batches except for 2 schools. Daichi's rival was from one of them.

Their school participated in 3 categories which are the team tournament, men's solo tournament, and women's solo tournament. Daichi participated in the men's solo. The preliminary format was a continuous fight for the winner of each round until they were defeated.

After the preliminary, the winner of each 4 batches would then be paired up in the semi-finals and the top 2 then would fight for the first place position in a 3 round duel along with the other 2 contestants repechage match for third place.

As Touya said, once Daichi entered the tatami, he never stepped out. One after another, he toppled his opponents, not giving them any openings to attack or counter. It was practically one-sided. Some had a hard time getting up after being thrown to the ground by him with how hard his throw was.

"Uwah…Isn't Daichi too brutal?" Reita winced.

"That's his way of respecting his opponents. For him, it is rude to hold back just because his opponent is weaker than him. Even in practice." Touya leaned back on his seat, watching the match without any tension.

But inwardly, Touya agreed with Reita to some degree. Daichi was being fiercer than usual. Considering what was at stake, if he was Daichi, he would reserve his energy for the semi-finals and finals.

Touya narrowed his eyes slightly. Something is making Daichi agitated.

Once all 4 batches had their respective winners, the preliminary round was finally finished. The semi-finals would start after a 2-hour lunch break.

Daichi was talking with his club to update on each other's results when he saw Touya and Reita coming towards him.

"Congratulations on reaching the semi-finals!" Reita congratulated him.

"I'd be surprised if you don't." Touya added.

"Thanks," Daichi looked around, "Where's Sei?"

"He went to the bathroom." Reita answered.

"I see. Of course, he does." Daichi laughed in a strange tone.

Touya frowned, "Daichi, did Sei…say something?"

"It doesn't matter. I'll win this and prove my feelings to him. I'll make him believe," Daichi clenched his fist, "I won't let him go."

Reita tilted his head in confusion, "What are you guys talking about? What's wrong with Sei?"

Touya and Daichi turned to Reita simultaneously. Touya stared at him, "You really don't know?"

"Huh? Eh?" Reita panicked from Touya's studying eyes, "Should I? Did I miss something?"

"…"

"Reita, don't you like Sei?" Daichi suddenly grabbed Reita's shirt.

"Eek! Huh? L-Like? That's a bit…" Reita was dumbfounded by Daichi's sudden anger, "W-Well, we wouldn't be friends if I don't like him. Touya and Daichi like him too, right?"

Touya was also stunned by Daichi's action, "Daichi, calm down. What's wrong with you?"

Daichi let Reita go and swiped back his hair in agitation. He cocked his head, "Come with me, Touya. I'll tell you what I heard."

"What about me?" Reita pointed at himself.

"You shut up and wait here."

Until the break ended, Sei didn't come to join them. He needed time to think and consider his options.

Honestly, it was easy for him to cancel this competition from happening. But if he did that, it would affect many people. The contestants, the committee, the sponsors, and more. He couldn't cause that just because of his personal problem.

Daichi winning second place would be the best scenario. Daichi wouldn't be picked as the next captain and he himself could avoid dating him. It was a win-win situation. But bribing the committee or the judges have risks to be exposed in the future.

Should he just reject him later? This wasn't a major competition, so he didn't really need to feel bad about doing it. It was different if this was the nationals.

But the virtual Daichi didn't take rejections too well and he should rather avoid that.

"Kurosaki-senpai, Kitamura-senpai won the semi-finals." Sugiura prompted him.

Both of them sat in a different section from Touya and Reita. Sei didn't really want them to see him unable to rejoice about Daichi's victory.

Sei snapped out of his thought and saw that indeed Daichi was being declared a winner. Not long after, the winner from the other side was also announced.

"What are you going to do, Senior?"

"…"

When the final match was about to commence, Daichi looked up. He soon met eyes with Sei. Sei could tell what he wanted to say to him.

He will definitely win.

The first round started. The opponent was Daichi's biggest rival since middle school. Their strength was more or less equal. But after a fierce struggle, Daichi won the first round.

Sei couldn't watch anymore and stood up, "I'll go wait outside."

Sugiura also got up. He glanced briefly at Daichi who was looking their way and helped Sei out.

The venue has an outdoor courtyard for visitors to sit around. Sei went there with Sugiura and sat down on a bench.

"If it's really hard for you to reject him, just date him for a day and break up. You technically still fulfill your promise."

"He never said anything about dating. Whatever our status is, what he wants is me and, not to be narcissistic, but I'm pretty sure he won't let me go," Sei looked at Sugiura meaningfully, "Besides, did you seriously just suggest me to do that?"

"…" Sugiura touched Sei's nape in thought, "I'll go get us a drink."

His fingers lingered for a few more seconds before he walked away.

Sei watched him leave.

Just as he thought Sugiura was taking too long, the person came back with 2 bottles of drink in his hands.

"Unforgivable."

Both Sei and Sugiura froze. Sugiura slowly turned around and saw a girl with a dark expression and red eyes taking out a knife from her purse. She dashed forward with the knife pointing forward.

"Sugiura-kun!" Sei shot up and rushed towards Sugiura.

"Unforgivable!!" the girl screamed.

19