Chapter 5: “A new world!”
186 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The field stretched out for miles. The grasses and plants in it, growing no higher than waist height, had contrasting colors of green and tan. Flowers of different colors could be seen growing in clusters, with the most common being that of yellow. A forest bordered two edges of the field, and a small stream ran through it. The stream came from the wood line opposite of the sun, which could barely be seen over the mountains, far off in the distance. Sunlight reflected off the dew on the grasses, giving the entire field a sparkle.

Among the vegetation, near the southern forest of the field, a man stood. His eyes were staring blankly off into the distance, his hands holding a crystal in front of his chest. Light shone through and reflected off this dark purple crystal, discoloring the shadow of it on the man's chest. He didn't move for several minutes. If one were to watch him, they would think he was a vividly painted statue. Slowly the man's eyes began to focus, and he blinked a few times as if they were dry.

He began to look around and took a deep breath through his nose, letting it out slowly. “Hmm” he hummed out a noise as if to say, “I guess it worked.” After blinking a couple of times, he frowned, seemingly realizing where he was. He pivoted in place, observing everything around him before he said, "Well shit."

He looked down at the crystal in his hands as if suddenly remembering it. It was egg shaped, and faceted. The color was almost black, but through the thinner areas, he could see purple along the edges. It was large enough to fit in both hands, about the size of a melon, and he shifted the weight so that he held it in his right hand and held it up to the sunlight. Before he could do anything else, he looked further downward. "Oh, of course I'm naked. Why would I get clothing? Thanks Anomaly." He looked down at himself as he alternately lifted his feet off the ground, "These short limbs are going to take some getting used to." He took a few hesitant steps forward, "I guess I better find a rock for this thing." As he looked around, he saw a break in the grasses to the east. "Stream maybe? I should find a rock or two there."

He took a couple steps and stumbled, stopping while looking down again. The man sighed and reached out to grasp his defining male feature, to protect it from the grasses as he walked along the field. "So stupid having these things on the outside." he said as he continued towards the stream, stumbling a few more times before reaching it. He knelt by the water's edge and set the crystal egg on the ground, picked up a rock and struck it gently. A crack formed, and the egg broke into 3 pieces. "I guess it really was easy to break. I didn't use hardly any force at all."

He walked over to pick up one of the branches along the side of the river. It was one of the straighter sticks, it had dried out considerably, but wasn't yet as dry as a piece of driftwood. The man snapped the branches off the stick and swung it around a few times. As he evaluated his makeshift club, he said, "This is terrible. This really is terrible. I'm naked, there's sharp rocks on the ground, I've got a shitty club that’ll probably break on the first swing. There's probably snakes out here, and who knows what else.” He looked around for a bit more and then sighed, "Guess I'll follow this stream for a bit. Maybe I'll find some fish, or a better stick."

As the man followed the stream, he would occasionally stumble or cry out in discomfort as he stepped on something. As he walked, he would grab some straight, flat-leafed water plants, pulling them out at the roots. When he approached the southern forest, the grasses thinned out considerably, so he began to clear out an area, by tamping down the grasses with his feet. He set the reeds he had been carrying down in the clearing and headed off towards the wood line.

He followed the wood line until he found a suitable sized sapling that was big enough that he could wrap his hand around it, with his finger and thumb still able to touch. He bent the sapling at the base and worked it for a while until it broke off, and then dragged the sapling back to the area he cleared out. He tore off branches along the length of the sapling, until he had enough wood for two spear lengths, then he bent and broke the wood off before setting the remainder of the sapling aside. He held the staff in different spots until he found a spot that was comfortable in his hand and felt had enough length on both sides. He marked the location by scoring the bark in that area. He then measured off one arm length from the center mark, grasped the stick and then measured off another length from his fingers to his elbow, and scored the bark. He did the same on the opposite side of his original mark and then evaluated the length. "I don't know if this long enough. Should I go shorter so it's about as long as a rifle with a bayonet? Nah, I better keep it longer."

He used the broken crystal and began to shave the sapling from the line to the end of the stick, on both ends, so there would be a point at both ends. Midway through shaving the first point, the crystal had shown it wasn't strong enough for this type of work, so the man headed to the stream for some rocks. He found a couple decent sized flat rocks, and with one held in his left hand, he struck it downwards on it to chip off along one edge. When he had gone along the entire edge, he flipped the rock and repeated the action. This gave him a sharp, mostly straight, serrated edge which he used to finish sharpening his spear. Whenever it dulled, he could resharpen it by chipping off a new edge.

He had cut himself a few times with his awkward stone knife, as his hands had no callouses on them. He also had to stop a few times as this new body of his wasn't used to manual labor yet. When he had finished with his spear, he held it in his hand and judged the weight on it, giving a few practice stabs in the air. Seemingly satisfied with it, he picked up the bundled reeds he had gathered, and started to weave the ends together. When he ran out of reeds, he walked down to the river to collect some more, and continued this process until he had fashioned himself a basket. He used some of the branches of the sapling for support. He also wove several reeds together to make a strong strap with which he could use to carry the basket.

He picked up his stone knife and put it in the basket and carried his spear back towards the stream. When he reached the stream, he turned around and looked up with a sudden realization. "He said there's monsters down here, and I have no idea what kind of stuff lives in this area." he sighed again, "This just keeps getting better." He mumbled and began following the river downstream, stumbling and cursing as he went.

4