Chapter 13: “New wheels!”
102 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took Evren most of the morning, and some of the afternoon to drag the corpse of the boar through the gate, and only halfway to the center of town. He stopped pulling to take a break and looked towards the town hall, “Oh there’s the skull.” He said with a sigh. He headed to the shop and grabbed a rusty shield from the front store. The handle had rotted away, and it wouldn’t be usable in a fight, but it would be perfect for what he wanted to do.

He went back to the boar and using his dagger, slit it open from the chest to the groin. He reached inside to pull out the innards and put it on the shield, “I should have done this in the beginning. I’m such a moron.” When he finished, he set the shield aside and picked up the rope again. He tied himself off and started dragging the boar some more. “Oh yeah, much better.” He said but dropped to the ground in a sigh instead. He took a drink from magically summoned water and laid on the ground completely spread out.

“This body is impressive with its raw strength, but disappointing because of its endurance. Definitely something I’m going to have to work on.” He said as he stared blankly into the sky. “Hah… was there any spell that could make this easier?” He turned his head towards the boar and concentrated on it, trying to use telekinesis to lift it off the ground. He felt the magic reach out to the boar and encompass it. He put a mental image of the boar lifting off the ground into it and stared at the boar. It didn’t move.

As he began to stand, he said, “I wonder if there’s a heal fatigue or anti-tired spell. Or levitate. Yeah, levitate would be good.” He stopped and looked down. “No, a truck to put this thing on would be great. Maybe a forklift, or a buddy. Some wheels. A cart.” He stopped pulling and said, “A cart, huh. Not a good time now, but I should work on those ones in the stable, and at least get one working wagon out of there.”

Evren arrived at the shop shortly after noon. The skin was removed, and the meat was cut into workable pieces. He knew the meat wouldn’t last long so he dried most of it, using salt he found in a building which appeared to have been a general store. Most of the goods were gone, but things like salt, some tools, and some other non-perishable items survived the test of time.

He used the room the forge was in for the drying of the meat, adding more meat as he processed it from the boar, and keeping the wood burning as the fire ran low. He set the skin up on a rack in the back of the shop, not one for tanning, but possibly for airing out laundry as it was a simple T shape.

While the meat was drying, Evren dragged the boar back out of town and using a rusty shovel, he dug a hole to put the remains inside. He was sure there were plenty of uses for the carcass, but he didn’t want to deal with the possibility of scavengers coming into town.

He returned to the shop and checked on the fire, adding wood as needed, and went to the living area on the second floor. And in the modest kitchen, he cooked some boar he had cut into bite sized pieces. Using only salt as a spice, he cooked and ate half of the meat he had brought with him. The rest of the meat he dumped into a pot he had cleaned out and filled with water. He also added the grease from the pan he used and salt, then cleaned out the pan in the back yard.

Once he had put everything away, he headed towards the stables of the large house. There were three carts in the stables, one was a fancy carriage, while the other two were more functional wagons. Taking one of the wagons that appeared to be in the better shape, he dragged it out of the stables. Judging from his appraisal of damages to the wagon, he knew he had to replace two wheels, some rotten boards, and fashion a handle with which to pull it with.

He got one wheel from the fancy carriage, and one from the wagon. Most of the boards on that wagon were rotten, but there were enough salvageable pieces to use. He found tools in the shed easily enough and began repairs.

By the time the sun was quarter way to setting, he had finished the repairs on the wagon to make able to move by pulling a bar that had been attached to the poles at the front. The wagon had no brakes on it, so he set a couple pieces of wood as a chock block to hold it in place when parked. He figured he wouldn’t need much in the way of brakes since he was only pulling it at his own walking pace.

He set a couple extra parts into the back of the wagon and pulled it back to the shop. When he arrived, he checked on the fire, and added more wood as needed. He went on to check on the pot he had been cooking and as he stared at it, he realized, he had no spoon with which to stir, nor eat. So, he went shopping for some usable tableware. And by shopping, it’s meant that he went to nearby buildings scavenging for the needed utensils.

He put the utensils away, adding some salt to the bland soup and went downstairs to the forge. The sun was getting closer to the horizon, so he wanted to get some more work in on the tools that he had available. There were some that needed to be cleaned of rust, others needed a handle replacement. Almost everything that needed to be sharpened had a dull edge. As the day turned to twilight, he worked quietly in the shop, fixing as many tools as he could.

He had found a lantern in one of the nearby buildings, but it had no oil in it, and he hadn’t found any fuel for it yet. The wick was still in surprisingly good condition, and only one of the glass panes had been cracked. It was dark in the room, and without a functioning lantern or a torch, it would remain so. Still, he had enough light from the hearth that he could eat. So, he ate his tasteless soup straight from the pot as he stared at the fire burning in the hearth.

“Things to do for tomorrow. Hmm… Well, I guess I should go around town and look for more clothing, so I don’t have to wear this armor all the time. I’ll probably have to resize it as well. What else?” His eyes got a distant look to them as he contemplated what he needed to do. “For safety reasons, I should probably patch up the gate a little bit, at least enough to keep large things outside. I’ll have to figure out how to process that pelt. It’s definitely big enough to make into a sleeping bag or some form of bedding.”

He set the empty pot down, “I can’t stay here. Well, no, I probably could but I shouldn’t. I wonder if there are any books or maps in this town. I should probably scour the other buildings for information, and other supplies.”

He set his elbows on his knees and his forehead on his hands and sighed. He remained like that for a while and said, “I got lucky finding this place as quickly as I did. But my luck won’t hold out forever. He changed his position to having his chin on his hands, “Should I look for that kingdom, no what was it? Holy state? That place, should I go there? Should I find people? Should I go to dungeons? I got pretty lucky with this bow and armor, but if anything gets close, I’m somewhat screwed. I’ve seen enough documentaries that I could probably make a really crappy sword. No, should I stick with a spear? A short spear?

“This bow is crazy strong too. If I shot a rabbit with this thing, it’d probably nail it to the ground. I should hunt in the woods for deer instead of that boar again, that thing’s just too much.” He rubbed his eyes as fatigue began setting in. “I guess I’ll call it a night then.” He said as he headed to his makeshift bed.

3