Chapter 103: “Espionage!”
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a warm day, there was still snow on the ground, but the weather was a good indicator spring was coming. Evren and the others had left the road and were traveling through the Alaboia Forest south of St. Gloria. They had come across farm houses along the route but wasn’t sure of their loyalty towards the Holy State Grandia, so they opted to avoid contact with anyone. As they walked north, Evren had gained a considerable amount of information from Bryan and Tim, but they still faced a problem.

St. Gloria is a walled city. It has four gates to allow access. The cathedral is a walled area as well. It has two gates to allow access. They currently have no way to get into the city. Once they get into the city, they’ve got to get into the cathedral. Once they gain access to the cathedral, if they follow Evren’s plan to release all of the puppets only after they have returned them to St. Gloria so the curse can be lifted after the enslavement, they need to hold the cathedral for at least a year.

“How can you tell which puppets are where?” Evren asked.

Bryan answered with, “In the basement of the Meamutera is the depository where all of the crystals are kept. There’s a place that has a list of all the current puppets and their location called the assignment hall.”

“What’s the Meamutera?” Evren asked.

“Oh, sorry sir. That’s the cathedral.” Bryan said.

“Who can command the puppets?” Evren asked

“Only the commanders of the armies and those who work under them. The senior clergy and the pope.” He replied.

Evren frowned and continued, “Ok, how do you get permission to be able to control them?”

Bryan shrugged, “I dunno. Maybe you need permission from the pope?”

Evren asked, “If you just hold a crystal, can you control the puppet it’s connected to?”

Tim shook his head, “There’s no way ye’d be able ta git to the crystals, mate. Only them monks allowed there.”

Evren shook his head, “That’s not what I’m asking. What I want to know if you can control the puppets by holding a crystal.”

Bryan and Tim looked at each other Bryan said, “Well… yeah.”

Evren nodded, “That’s enough.”

Tim said, “Mate, ye can’t bribe ‘em, they’s families’re taken care of. Ye can’t cajole ‘em, they’s eunuchs. Ya can’t threat’n ‘em, cuz they’s got puppets guardin’ ‘em!”

Evren nodded, “I get it. I understand. I’ll figure something out. Now, how did you guys get out before, and do you think you can get back in?”

The two looked at each other again and Tim said, “We jus’ walked out tha first time. We was still workin’ fer tha state.”

Bryan followed up with, “But we’re deserters, there’s no way we’ll get back in.”

Evren frowned, “Aren’t you worried you’ll get caught?”

Bryan shook his head, “Nobody knows what we look like. They’d have to arrest us to bring us before the Commander to find out if we were the right people.”

Tim followed up with, “We wasn’t allowed in tha town. Were jus’ barracks, cafeteria an then work.”

“Hmm…” Evren began thinking about what to do.

Evren collected everyone’s weapons and made sure they all had their meteoric daggers on them but hidden. He then made sure they all knew how to cast ‘clarity’ and a few other spells to get them out of trouble. It took Walter a little longer because his usage of spells was considerably lower than the rest. When everyone was prepared, they were given their tasks. Some were to wander the countryside and listen in on conversations of the people outside of the town. Some were to visit the gates and get information from people in the lines to learn how to gain access to the town.

Evren’s plan for himself was to walk through the front gate. He would use his guise of Chesterfield Cunningham to try to talk his way through the gate. He was carrying no weapons, and he left his backpack with Walter. The only thing he brought with him was a sack of dirty clothing, some pocket change in a small bag and some meat jerky.

The next morning, they all went out on their missions. Evren’s attire that of a dirty dandy. As he stood in line waiting for his turn at the gate, he spoke loudly with all who would listen to his wonderous tales of adventure. Of which the details would change each time they were told to be embellished more and more. By the time he reached the gate, many people did not believe many of the stories he told.

“Next.” The guard called out to him.

“Ah yes! That would be me! Hello, hello good sir. I am Chestfield Cunningham of the Madelaya Cunninghams. I would show you my familial crest, but unfortunately, my sword was stolen. And I was so clearly trying to unlock the power held within it, if only I could have partaken upon a heroic tale of adventure! Ah, but it is sad. Fortune has been with my favor though! For I have walked these roads unchallenged by thief or beast to arrive at this wonderful city of St. Gloria!

“Now pray tell, good sir, for I have travelled from my ancestral home for five years to arrive at this glorious city. I seek shelter, companionship, and an occupation worthy of a Cunningham. Now could you inform me, good sir, where I must go to acquire employment within this glorious city?” Evren said with as much bluster as he could manage.

The guard stared at Evren soundlessly as Evren flashed him his best smile. “How long do ye plan to be in St. Gloria?”

Evren replied, “If I am successful in finding an employer I will remain in this glorious city for as long as I am required, for I love this land and its people!”

The guard stared at Evren unblinking. Eventually he tilted his head towards the gate and said, “Off ye go.”

Evren’s smile deepened and he turned around to the man he had been chatting with in line and said, “Wish me luck, friend! I’m off to seek glory and fortune!” He then waved to the rest of the people in line and entered through the gate.

Evren spent the day walking through town and talking with everyone he could. On the surface, he was looking for a job. He asked the guards, he asked the grocer, he spoke with bakers and restaurants. He asked traders and crafters and random people on the street. He went from inn to tavern to unkempt bar. Everywhere he went wasn’t looking to hire someone. They were all experiencing a depression.

As he worked his way through town, he eventually found himself near the center of the town, where the cathedral was located. Even though he was turned down for a job time and again, he kept looking. At one point when he was refused employment, he stood in the middle of the street and looked around. When he saw the guards outside the cathedral, he approached them with a smile on his face.

“Good sirs! Hello, hello, my name is Chesterfield Cunningham of the Madelaya Cunninghams. I have just recently arrived in this wonderful city of St. Gloria, and I am seeking gainful employment. Do you perhaps know of a place where I may fulfill my objective?” He asked while shaking the guard’s hand.

Before the guard had a chance to say anything, he continued, “I have learned and practiced the art of the sword, learned at a young age by my dear father. I have knowledge of writing and reading, and I excel at mathematics. Surely you know of a place where I can find a place that will hire me.”

As the guard was about to say something, he interrupted again, “I have been to everyone between here and the western gate and nobody has any positions available, good sir. I hope you do understand that I, as are all Cunninghams, am from a hearty stock and am not afraid to work hard. Why, if it weren’t stolen, I would let you look upon my familial crest to prove my authenticity in my good family name. I beseech thee, good sir. Do you know of a place I may find employ!?”

The guard stared at him for a while before saying, “No.”

Evren dropped his head and slumped his shoulders. “I see.” He said, then lifted his head with a smile again, “I shall attempt again on the morrow! Pray good sir, do you know where I may find a good quality inn... ahh, that’s with a reasonable price.”

The guard looked down the way he came and gestured with his chin. “Back the way you came. The Lady’s Moons. Five silver a night.”

Evren made a face and asked a little delicately, “I don’t suppose they rent out the stables?”

The guard didn’t answer and just stared at Evren.

“Well, off I go then! It was a pleasure to speak with you, good sir. I hope you have a wonderful day and wish me luck!” Evren said as he departed the gate.

He walked down the street back to the gate with a smile on his face, no longer seeking a job, but occasionally speaking with a traveler or merchant. When he reached the gate, he spoke with the guard he had spoken to in the morning.

“Ah, good sir, we meet again. I’m afraid I cannot af… Uhh, the Lady’s Moons was… uhh booked. Yes, it was all full. Oh, I did so have my heart set upon staying there. But such is life. You wouldn’t happen to know of some farmers out this way that would rent out a room, or a stable. Maybe a pile of hay?”

“You done for the day then?” the guard said.

“Ahh, yes. It is a lovely city but… uhh… I’m needed elsewhere. I shall return tomorrow to search elsewhere.” Evren leaned in close and asked in a lower voice, but one still clearly audible to others, “Do you know if I’d have better luck finding a job at one of the other gates?”

The guard gestured with his head towards the outside of the gate and said, “Off ye go.”

Evren kept the smile on his face, but it was only his mouth that was smiling, it seemed as if his eyes were about to tear up. He dropped his hands down to his sides and turned to exit the town. As he wandered off, his shoulders slumped a bit before they picked back up a little later. He clenched his fist as if he was making a commitment to himself and strode off down the road.

When he got back to the makeshift camp the others had already arrived. Walter asked, “Did you make it into town?”

Evren nodded and said, “Yeah, that and I got a lot of information as well. But let’s start with you guys. What’d you find Walter?”

“There’s a possibility of a farmer on the east side of town that was injured that needs help on his farm. As the spring is still coming, he needs to buy seeds while they’re still available. We could probably get one or two of us inside by assisting him.” He said.

Evren nodded and then said, “Harley?”

Harley replied, “Guards were increased last fall, but the amount of work they’ve been doing has tripled and many of the guards are overworked. There’s no way over the walls, they’ve got puppets within view of puppets, and they’re always paired with guards.”

Evren said, “Good job Harley.”

“Thanks Mr. Evren!” She replied.

“Isobel and Fletcher?” Evren asked

Fletcher started with, “We went around to the east side of town and got in line to enter the gate. Food production has been down in the last few years, and the state takes everything but the bare minimum from them. The morale of the people seems low as well.”

Isobel nodded and added, “We got into town easily. We weren’t planning to, but when it came to our turn, we just said we were buying some produce and were allowed in. When we left, they just checked our bag and let us go.”

Evren pondered the information for a bit before moving on to the next two, “Ellis and Karina?”

Karina spoke up and said, “It was pretty similar for us. The guards are overworked and fatigued. I think we would be able to get in easily.”

Ellis then added, “Weapons are not allowed. Even a knife is considered a weapon, so you’ve got to be careful when entering town. They’ll arrest you if they find one.”

Evren looked at Bryan and Tim, “What about you two?”

Bryan started with, “We didn’t recognize any of the guards at the gates, so we came in through the west gate and left through the south gate. Pretty sure we could even get in to the cathedral with how lax the guards seem to be.”

Tim didn’t say anything, just nodded along with Bryan.

Evren nodded and said, “Thanks all. For me, I went into town and looked for a job. One thing I can say is that the economy is terrible. People can barely afford to keep their doors open, let alone hire someone. The morale is down, as you said, but it isn’t just the people and the guards, most of the city seems that way. The guards were motivated in the fall but having to work as much as they’ve had to through the winter, the security has become lax. The leadership hasn’t been pushing or motivating them in any way. It seems there are only a few of them who actually care about their jobs.” He pointed to Bryan and Tim and said, “I’ve also looked into the two of you, it seems there’s a warrant for your arrest, but nobody seems to have a description that matches anyone else. And none of them fit either of you.

“There’s an inn in town called The Lady’s Moons. Tomorrow, everyone split up and meet there.” Evren said. Everyone nodded and he finished. “Now, let’s get something to eat and get some rest for tomorrow. Walter, I want you to enter with Harley through the south gate. Fletcher and Isobel, take the west gate this time. Karina and Ellis also through the south gate but try to keep separated from Walter and Harley. And don’t look at each other. Tim and Bryan through the west gate. I’ll be heading around to the east gate to enter that way.”

1