Chapter 110: “Scouting!”
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first group of summoned that arrived came from Apotoyuca. The command they were given was to go to the cathedral, sit in the pew and wait for further instructions. Once they were in place, Evren would copy the numbers down and send someone to the depository to break the crystals of the numbers in order. Evren and Harley would then ‘cure curse’ each of them, and there would be a small discussion with them and some of the summoned from the first group.

Three days later, when they were in the middle of a group therapy, the summoned from Dobalt arrived and sat down at a free spot in the pews. When the last ones had seated themselves, Evren looked to the first and second groups and said, “Uh, let’s pause for a moment and help these guys, then we’ll pick back up after. Ok?”

Everyone nodded as they wanted to be a part of freeing the summoned as well. Harley and Karina arrived shortly after their arrival to assist with the process. When everyone had been released and cured, Evren had everyone sit down in the pews and began speaking to them.

“Normally, I like to give everyone a day or two before doing this, but we had new people join us just as we were about to begin. So, let’s start with a quick explanation.” Evren started by saying, “My name is Evren. Before I came to this world I was tortured and sexually assaulted for two weeks before my death. Now, where is here? It is a fantastic new world. There exist many things from frightening to amazing. I know I can never go back to where I was, but that doesn’t mean my life is over. It’s just beginning.

“Currently we’re in the city St. Gloria of the former Holy State Grandia. Grandia is the reason we got summoned here. To fight their wars. To be their play things. Tools to be used at their whims. But now, we’ve been freed. We’re free to choose what we want to do. The new people are the third group to be freed. What I’d like to do is for everyone to introduce themselves and say something to us. You can talk about whatever you want…”

Following the meeting, Evren stood at the base of the steps leading to the cathedral Ellis and Karina were going to show the new people where they were staying temporarily in the barracks. Evren looked to Walter who was standing next to him and said, “We’ve probably got some military coming our way.”

Walter asked, “What’s the plan?”

Evren shrugged, “What should be done is they should be arrested, tried and judged.”

Walters said, “You’re not just going to punish them all?”

Evren shook his head, “No, some of them might be decent. Good soldiers follow orders and in their free time do no wrong. Great soldiers question unlawful orders and inspire others to do right.” He turned to Walter and said, “It’d be a shame to lose one of them.”

“What about the puppets?” Walter asked.

“Summoned. They’re no longer puppets.” Evren said. “If they want to help, they can. Otherwise, I don’t know. But we’re running out of space to put them.”

“What are you going to do about the two from last night?” Walter asked quietly.

Evren sighed and looked down, “Bury them with the others.”

“You know its not your fault.” Walter said.

Evren looked to Walter and said, “I know, it’s just a sad thing. I can understand, especially with the circumstances, but that shouldn’t be an option.”

Evren sighed and looked at the group as they were walking away, “I’ve told them to speak to me, or anyone else if they feel like hurting themselves, yet still it happens.”

He looked down and added, “It’ll probably happen again. I can’t say I blame them, considering what some of them have been through. I just wish they …”

Evren smiled and looked up at Walter, “Well, let’s go speak with Doyle about what we’re going to do when the military show up.”

Evren and Walter made their way to the guardhouse at the southern gate. One of the guards saw them coming, knocked on the door and opened it to say something inside. Doyle came out and greeted the two.

“Gentlemen, what can I do for you?” Doyle said.

Evren said, “Well, to get right to the point, I figure we’ve got some military forces coming our way soon. Either from Apotoyuca or Dobalt.”

Doyle nodded and said, “Probably Dobalt.”

Evren asked, “Why do you say that?”

“Because that’s where Captain Galand went.” Doyle replied.

Evren made a wry face and said, “What are the chances of Captain Galand surrendering and willingly going into custody?”

Doyle rubbed his chin and said, “Slim to none.”

Evren nodded, “You should probably shut down the east gate then. People that are leaving should stay in their homes and people that are coming in should be routed to one of the other gates.”

“No, if anyone wants to enter, I’ll let them come in. I’d rather they be inside the walls than out.” Doyle countered.

Evren nodded, “I’m going to speak with Mr. Hill. Walter, could you get the others and have them meet me at the east gate? If any of the summoned want to go, have them head there as well.” He then turned back to Doyle, “If you get any reports of more summoned coming in, could you send someone my way?”

Doyle didn’t respond, he only nodded.

“Thanks Doyle.” Evren said as he and Walter began walking away.

As they walked away, Walter asked, “What are you going to talk to Mr. Hill about?”

“Coming to the meeting tomorrow, and about that Captain Galand on the way here. He’s probably going to need people to help rebuild this town. I’m sure there’s got to be someone in there that can help. Engineers, civil workers, politicians, teachers, doctors, someone’s gotta be able to help somehow.” Evren said as he headed off to the government building. “I’ll see you at the east gate.”

Walter replied, “Yep.”

Evren walked into the government building and the person sitting at the front desk said, “Oh! Mr. Bozdag. Are you here to see Mr. Hill?”

Evren replied, “Yes, is he available?”

“Yes, one moment.” He said as he ran off into the building. He came back with Mr. Hill in tow.

“Evren, how have you been?” he said.

“Good, thank you Jonathan.” Evren replied.

He turned around and lead with a wave of his hand, “Come, let’s talk in my office.”

Evren followed after him, and when they reached the office, Jonathan closed the door and sat down behind the desk. He had to move some stacks of paper and books out of the way.

“What can I do for you?” Jonathan asked.

“We’ve got an army coming our way. They should be coming from the east. I’m going to ask them to surrender and come along willingly, but from what Doyle said, that probably won’t happen.” Evren said.

Jonathan asked, “Do we have enough space for them?”

Evren shrugged, and Jonathan continued, “Do you plan to try them?”

Evren nodded, “Yes. And I’d like to do it as soon as possible.”

Jonathan nodded, “I’ll see if there’s someplace we can hold them.”

“I’d also like you to talk at tomorrow’s meeting. We had another two kill themselves last night and I’d like to get these people distracted so we can have less of that. There’s got to be someone that can help somehow. We can get that botanist to look at the crops and see about making something more hearty or productive. Maybe there’s an engineer that can do something about the sewers that seemed backed up.” Evren said.

Jonathan nodded and said, “Ok, that’s after first bell?”

Evren nodded in return and said, “Yeah.” He then stood up and said, “I’ve gotta head to the east gate now. I’m not sure when they are getting here, but I’d like to be here when they arrive.”

“Good luck Evren.” Jonathan said as he held out his hand.

Evren took the hand and said, “Thanks.”

He exited the government building and headed towards the east gate. When he arrived there, he saw Doyle had already gotten there and was discussing the forthcoming incident. As he walked up to the group, Doyle said, “Have anything to add, Evren?”

Evren nodded seriously, “Make sure you hydrate yourself and wash your hands every time you use the restroom.”

Doyle said, “What?”

Evren shrugged, “That’s what you get when you ask me something I had no part of.”

“You could have just said you had nothing to add.” Doyle retorted.

“I think staying hydrated and personal hygiene are important.” Evren shot back.

“Use words we understand!” Doyle shouted to Evren.

“Dihydrogen monoxide can lead to excessive sweating, urination, nausea, vomiting and a bloated feeling. Everyone exposed to dihydrogen monoxide will die. Is that a risk you’re willing to take, Doyle?” Evren shouted back.

Lowering his voice back down to normal levels, Evren said, “Now, listen and pay attention. You’re lives may depend on it. When the army arrives, get everyone inside and close the gate. Let me negotiate with them and if we can come to peaceful resolution, I will be asking for your assistance. Some of these people may be your friends. If they are innocent, they will be treated as such. If they are guilty of crimes, they will be punished in accordance with the laws.”

Evren looked around at everyone and said, “Does anyone have any questions, no? Good. I’m going up on the wall.” Without waiting for a response Evren walked over to the gatehouse and took the stairs to the upper floor and looked out to the east.

Walter and the others walked up the stairs behind Evren and stood around him nervously as he looked to the horizon to the east.

“Mr. Evren, are we really going to die to dihymoden toxide?” Harley asked.

Evren turned around and looked at them. He looked around to see if any guards were coming and gestured for everyone to lean in close. “Dihydrogen monoxide is just the chemical name for water. Don’t worry about it, I was just messing with Doyle.”

Fletcher shook his head, “I don’t get it.”

Evren looked at Fletcher and nodded, “Ok then. If you drink too much water, don’t you feel bloated and nauseous? After a while, you’ll find you have to pee a lot. Everyone who lives is going to die at some point, and everyone gets exposed to water by drinking or washing, or whatever. So there’s that.”

Fletcher nodded in understanding, “Oh, I get it now.”

Evren turned back around and reached into his backpack to pull out one of the nautical telescopes. He set the tripod up so it would be stable and peered through it to the east, following the road. He chanted ‘monocle’ to see further but could see nothing.

He said, “I really want to send out a scout, maybe a messenger to let them know the situation and let them think about it before they arrive.”

Walter said, “Why don’t you do it?”

“Why don’t I do it? That’s a good question.” Evren walked over to the wall, “Hey Doyle, I want to scout ahead, can I get a guard uniform and a horse?”

Doyle shouted back up, “Do you know how to ride a horse?”

Evren said, “Nope, but I’ve seen people do it, can’t be that hard.”

A cruel smile came over Doyle’s face and he said, “Oh sure, we can get you a uniform and a horse.”

1