Chapter 01
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This book will be based on the songs "August" and "Betty" from Taylor Swift's "Folklore" Album.

Although the story will be based on Taylor Swift's songs, this work will have different elements, however, it still will have the famous love triangle.

For copyright reasons, I will not use Taylor Swift's song lyrics in the story. And for the same reasons, I will also not use the names present in the songs "August" and "Betty".

To be more objective, the names of the three involved in the story will be, Summer (Augustine), Jason (James), and Behati (Betty).

Ultimately, this short story will focus on the point of view of "August".

 

***

 

01

 

I met Jason when I was seven years old.

He was everything I had dreamed of.

He was everything I wanted.

He was the magic that I was hoping for.

And I still remember the euphoric feeling I felt when I met him that day.

I still remember how excited I was about the future to come.

Because for the first time until that moment, I would have a best friend.

 

***

 

My parents told me about Jason a month before he moved in next door.

They told me that a little boy would live in the house next door.

They told me that this little boy was sad because he didn't want to move from his town.  That little boy was sad because he wouldn’t have any friends. He was sad because he wouldn't know anyone.

That little boy's situation made me sad.

Thereby, when my parents asked me to try to be his friend, I said yes.

Because the only thing I wanted — just like that little boy — was not needed to play alone ever again.

That night, when I was ready to sleep, I promised myself that I would do my best to have a friendship with that boy. Because somewhere inside my heart, I knew that we could be wonderful together.

 

***

 

I was a lonely child.

The street where I lived with my parents had no children around my age. In that way, I just played with other kids in my school or when my parents had free time to take me to the children's houses.

I got used to playing alone at home, but I still remember how sad it made me. Because that only thing I wanted as a child was to have someone to play with me. A true friend

Thus, the day my parents told me that a new family would live next door, it felt like my lucky star finally heard me. And for the first time I would have someone to be my real friend. I was radiant. I was so happy.

 

***

 

I met Jason in August.

My school was in the summer break and the air felt infinite.

Jason's family had already moved in for a week when he finally showed up at my door.

I remember that when I finally opened the door, I almost exploded with happiness.

He was shy, and I could tell he almost ran away when he saw me.

My heart sank.

I stopped breathing, afraid to scare him.

I remember telling myself that I should be careful because he could be my future best friend.

I opened a big smile before saying, “Hi.”

As soon as I said that, it felt like he was electrocuted by an invisible force.

He straightened his posture, and recited like a mini robot, “Hi, I’m Jason Hill, your neighbor next door. I moved just a week ago. And I was wondering if you would like to play with me?”

He was adorable, but it felt like he was reciting a line from a play that he barely memorized.

That made me smile more. Besides that, he was obviously nervous and could not keep his hands still.

That specific moment always made me curious, thus some years later, Jason and I talked about this day, he told me that he and his mother practiced for a considerable time, what he would say on that first visit to my home. He said he didn't want to mess up because he really wanted someone to play with.

“I have a swing in the backyard and my grandma baked cookies,” I said before he ran away.

As soon as I said that, he opened the biggest smile I ever saw.

“I like cookies,” he said, still smiling.

“So let's go in, “I said, letting him into my house. “By the way, I’m Summer.”

 

***

 

Jason stayed at my house all afternoon. And honestly, I did not remember what we made all afternoon, but at the end of that day, Jason and I were best friends.

0