004 – Who dares interrupt my fair? (Part 1 of 2)
99 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I won't bore you with the back and forth between mother and Blewog - nor the six more times that happened afterwards as Blewog and I wandered around the fair's construction site.

Yawn!

"Oh, sweet soul, that was a big one! Look - we can go have a nice nap in the shade of that large tree!" [Blewog]

On the edge of the area reserved for next week's fair was what I would call an oak tree - it was indeed huge, with a trunk that was as thick as a small bus was long, and a leaf canopy that spread across the area of a large house over two floors in height above us.

I tried to remember if I had ever seen a magnificent tree like this in my previous life, and the only one that came to mind was "Kamou no Kusa" - a 1600 year old camphor tree at the Kamouhachiman Shrine in Japan.

Why can I recall that weird piece of useless trivia when I can't even recall my past name?

"Vewy good idea - tawwy ho! (Very good idea - tally ho!)"

Whatever... NAP TIME!

"Here is a good spot... are you comfortable, Enaidmelys?" [Blewog]

"Un... (Yeah...)"

Under the shade, with speckles of sun dancing around us, I snuggled up to the fluffy fluffy beast and soon drifted off to slumber land.


"...ady? Young Lady? It is soon dinner time." [Maid Vinnia]

A young maid was patting my shoulder gently.

"Yaaawwwhhnnn! Oh I am indeed starting to feel a bit peckish - this is affable timing indeed!" [Blewog]

"Hewwo... Awe you Vinnia? (Hello, are you Vinnia?)"

"Yes young Mistress - and I have already been informed about your Holy Beast - may I help you wash up before dinner?" [Maid Vinnia]

"Yeth - I wiww wide Blewog - wets go! (Yes, I will ride Blewog, let's go!)"

The maid Vinnia nodded and led us to one of the baths on the ground floor.

After my evening bath - which Blewog insisted to stay out of because wet fur is not easy to dry - all three of us ended up in the family dining hall.

We were the first to arrive.

Vinnia placed me into my special high chair - after all as a three year old I would not be able to reach the table's top in a normal chair.

"Miss Maid, may I have assistance to be placed on the table please?" [Blewog]

"Is that acceptable young Lady?" [Maid Vinnia]

"Yeth pweave... Blewog eats wif me... up hewe... (Yes please, Blewog eats with me, up here.)"

I pointed at the free spot on the table to the right of me, where no cutlery had been laid out.

"Then you will excuse me..." [Maid Vinnia]

Vania picked up Blewog, hesitated a moment holding in her breath with her face going a bit red, then sighed and gently put the fluffy fluffy beast on the dinner table next to me.

"Amazing self-discipline you have there, Miss Maid! And here I thought I would be the target of intense mofu mofu - for your great constraint, you may pat me on the head, if you wish." [Blewog]

Vania glanced at me and I nodded - she then carefully patted Blewog while grinning.

The dinning room door opened and my family streamed in - first my youngest brother Nigel, then the older brother twins, and my mother.

Following mother were two young women who were chattering with each other, behind them a sullen boy of around fifteen - all three people I had not yet met, but my current memory remembered them as somehow related to me.

Finally, an imposing muscular clean shaven man entered the room moving as silent as a panther.  

Ah, that would be the father figure, was what I recalled...

"So nice for everyone to be eating dinner together again, for a change!" [Mother]

Mother clapped her hands together with a decidedly non-ladylike grin on her face.

"Well, it is the start of summer break." [Sullen young boy]

The boy dropped himself into the seat across from me and stared at Blewog.

"Dis ish Blewog... is my fwend. (This is Blewog... is my friend.)"

Blewog waved with its front right paw.

"Greetings to those of you I have not yet met - after our repast, I shall grant you answers to any questions you may have - but let us enjoy the kitchen's bounty first, if I may be so bold to request that." [Blewog]

"Welcome Holy Beast - I agree to your suggestion, we should not let dinner get cold. Sebas, if you please." [Father]

Father waved a hand at the butler to start serving.

During dinner there was only small talk, and some discussions around the upcoming fair - and I still could not figure out who the two young women and sullen boy were.

"Hey, Kraznic, what free subjects are you currently taking?" [Brother Trisdain]

The sullen boy - who I now at least knew the name of - frowned, a fork full of food half way to his mouth.

"Alchemy and magic tool construction - I want to take over the family shop later." [Sullen Kraznic] 

Nope, still no clue - guess the me in the last three years didn't care who he was.

"Oh that's great, I also took magic tool construction as my second free subject - is still old Mage Abrigant giving that?" [Brother Glisdain]

"Yep - he is the kingdom's best after all - he even apprenticed under 'that' Duchess for a decade." [Sullen Kraznic]

"Right, I remember Mage Abrigant helped co-design the circuitry for freezing warehouses when he was young... I had him as teacher for advanced spell-craft." [Brother Trisdain]

And so on they talked among themselves about things that I did not really understand.

The two young women were deep in conversation with mother, mostly about fashion, and who was doing what in the capital.

From their conversation I figured we were here in our country estate, and that we had a minor manor in the capital, where we as a family stayed in the winter during the so called "social season".

"Ah desert is here! Please provide the most amazing me with a bit of everything available! And yes, you may give me a pat!" [Blewog]

A stream of kitchen staff brought Blewog desert after desert, with most of them giving its fuzzy furry soft head a gentle pat before scurrying away to get more treats.

All the time Blewog had been eating, I kept trying to sneak a look if I could see its mouth.

No luck - head over plate, lift head, plate spotless as if it had come out of a high temperature dish washer.

Even soup disappeared that way!

And where was all that food going?

I was already over-full and Blewog seemed to be just warming up!

 

1