Chapter 10: The City of Freedom & Songs
457 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a treacherous ride through the canyons, the carriage passed through the town of Springvale. A peaceful tower watched over by one windmill. Orion spotted a man with cat ears leading two men armed with bows and quivers filled with an assortment of arrows.

‘Catgirls are real here?’

One certain entrepreneur from earth was even willing to spend billions to genetically make catgirls. That man would do everything to be here.

While Orion was busy in the recollection of odd memories from Earth, the carriage smoothly proceeded on the dirt-covered path.

A few minutes later, Mona peeked her head out of the window. “We are here.”

Orion tilted his head, getting a glimpse of Mondstadt.

The City of Freedom, the Crown of the North, the Romantic City of Pastorals — these were the nicknames bards and artists gave to the renowned city of Mondstadt. Orion could see where they came from. The gently spinning windmills symbolized freedom as much as they symbolized the wind. The cathedral of Mondstadt was built like a castle, and the walls were like a fortress.

Even Mona, who had been to Liyue and Fontaine, was lured into the everpresent charm of the free city of Mondstadt.

The carriage crossed the bridge above the Cider Lake, where a young boy yelled at the driver for making his pigeons fly away. Orion shook his head at the naivety of the young boy.

‘His father doesn’t own the bridge.’

The carriage stopped at the city gate. Orion nudged Mona as he met eyes with Diluc. “I’ll get off here, if the guards don’t require some identification papers from me.”

He had to experience the city in person, not through the hazy glass of the carriage window.

“Anyone is allowed in the city built by Barbatos,” Diluc said with a faint smile. “You can meet me anytime in Angel’s Share tavern.”

Diluc, for reasons unknown to him, didn’t dislike Orion. The man with a deep love for his cat reminded Diluc of the individual who saved his life from the Fatui Harbingers. The astrologist by Orion's side had all but solidified his identity. After all, Mona’s master was a well-known astrologer. Mona would know if her traveling companion was a spy from Fatui or not.

“Roger.” Orion extended his hand, and Diluc quietly grasped it and nodded. “I’ll meet you after I earn some Mora. Until then.”

Orion exited the carriage and stretched his arms. The wind was cool, however, the elemental energy was distraught. Even without a Vision, he could feel the difference in elemental energy. If the elemental energy in the Dawn Winery was like a fortress, the elemental energy inside of Mondstadt was a castle of sand ready to crumble any second.

“Ready for a new life, Makoto?”

“Meow.”

Mona stepped out of the carriage as well, humming a pleasing tune. She puffed her chest proudly— her gait arrogant, filled with an elegant flair— and strolled through the city gate. The lone knight, standing guard, saw Mona coming out of Dawn Winery’s carriage, so he didn’t bother stopping her or Orion.

As they crossed the door, Orion’s eyes were drawn to a reception-like wooden outpost extending from a large building. Behind the reception desk, the short black-haired receptionist was standing with her hands clasped on her lap. The receptionist of the Adventurers’ Guild— Katheryne.

“Error… Rebooting…” Katheryne muttered.

Suffice to say, the receptionist creeped him out. Something about her seemed wrong. He couldn’t wrap his head around the abnormality.

Mona tugged at Orion’s sleeve. “She isn’t a human.”

Orion almost interpreted Mona’s words as her way of showing jealousy since he was staring at Katheryne. However, she had simply told him what she observed with her eyes.

‘I’m not in an anime where girls fall in love on the first day.’

He wasn’t in a hurry to get into a relationship anyway. Securing a living place and some money took top priority. His carnal desires could be fulfilled after he had found a footing in this new world full of wonders.

Orion chuckled and looked to his left. A burly blacksmith hammered a burning blade under a roof supported by four pillars. The shop’s name was Schulz’s Blacksmith.

‘I need a weapon. A sword preferably or…’

His mind went back to the time Mona summoned a book. They were called Catalysts, a tool to precisely control the output of elemental energy with archaic spells. They simply gave wings to the already powerful Vision users, only if they could withstand the burden of archaic knowledge.

‘Mage will suit my talents. A warrior mage, it is.’

Mona poked Orion’s cheeks, bringing him out of his contemplative daze. “Stop overthinking things. Let’s eat something first.”

“Let’s go.”

The stone steps led Orion and Mona to the flower market district. A fountain flourished in the center, surrounded by vibrant flowers native to Mondstadt. All kinds of shops surrounded the plaza, the most prominent one being a small restaurant. Mona couldn’t help but gulp her dry saliva. The savory salad, the delicious chicken, and steaks on the tables left her with no choice.

Orion dragged Mona to a table before she snatched some random person's plate.

The waitress with honey blonde hair and red eyes came to their seat. “Welcome to the Good Hunter, Travelers. What would you like to have?”

Sara had never seen the two individuals in Mondstadt before. It would be hard to forget someone with such exotic appearances. One in a skin tight suit that left little to one’s imaginations while the other donning an attire fitting for renowned aristocats, it was hard to not remember people with such striking auras. 

Orion pondered a lot before placing a modest order of several chicken-mushroom skewers and the Good Hunter’s special Pile ‘Em Up dish.

Despite being loaded with Mora, Mona’s heart bled to hear the long list of dishes Orion ordered.

‘I promised him… can’t go back now.’

Mona’s miserable expression got a small chuckle out of Orion.

“Stop sulking.”

“I am not.” Mona denied with a straight face. “You’ll be joining the Adventurer’s Guild as an adventurer?”

“Yes. What about you?”

“I have to reclaim a box that belongs to my master. It was part of an agreement she made with a friend fifty years ago. She is an old hag now, so now it’s up to me to honor that agreement.”

Orion was curious about her master, or her strength to be precise.

“My master and her friend contended in the mystic arts all their lives without a clear victor. If I triumph here, then I will show myself to be superior to my master!” Mona beamed with happiness whenever she talked about astrology or anything remotely close to it. “Old hag, I’ll do what you never did. I’ll triumph over your rival’s disciple with the power of astrology!”

Orion nodded. “Then, we’ll be on our way after this. I have to chase my own destiny.”

He wasn’t going to goad her into joining his adventurer party. Alone, he could experiment with his Void element outside the walls of Mondstadt.

Mona, who was about to ask Orion to help her, fell silent. She rested her chin on her palm, elbow on the table, and gazed at the Mondstadters walking on the streets.

Orion, curiously, focused his empathy talent on Mona.

‘She is a bit sad. Could I be her first friend?’

The truth was as simple as he thought it to be. Mona had been wandering in Liyue for months now, predicting people’s fate and receiving their anger. She also wasn’t interested in befriending commoners but people of her equal status. Orion, who came from a distant world, fit the bill.

Their lunch arrived soon. Mona forgot all her misery upon taking the first bite of salad. “So delicious…”

Orion admitted the food was crazy good even for his standards. He silently stuffed his empty stomach while passing some chicken to Makoto as well.

After filling her stomach, Mona’s eyes widened as she recalled perhaps the third most important thing in Mondstadt. “I need to find that sealed room!”

“Can’t you use your astrology?”

“Absolutely not. Astrology is meant to be used to gain insight into reality and observe destiny itself. It's certainly not for such mundane affairs.”

“...”

“Ahem. Will you help me?”

“Fine…”

It was a small task, and wouldn’t take much time. Orion thought as he made the kitten purr in delight with his hands rubbing its chin.

“Let’s go to Adventurers’ Guild first. The receptionist might know where that place is.”

He could register himself there and grab some easy commissions for money.

Favorite if you liked it!

28