Chapter III: Recur
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER III: RECUR

 

Imperial Palace Banquet
Founding of the Empire

"To commemorate the founding of the empire," the chamberlain bellows, "His Highness, Emperor Leonard the Fifth shall dance the first dance with the Empress Harriet Edelweiss!" 

Leonard's eyes lands on his empress from the ballroom as music begins to play from the orchestra. He bows and extends a gloved hand as an invitation. 

"May I have this dance, my empress?" He whispers, his voice deep. 

Harriet smiles and slips her silk gloved hand onto his. "Every dance is for you, my liege," she curtsies. A soft smile plays on his lips as they rise for the dance. 

The married couple, entangled in each others arms, look into each others eyes without breakage. At this very moment, it was only them and them alone in the ballroom with ghosts playing their waltz. 

Leonard leads Harriet in the middle of the dance floor, his eyes still locked onto hers. The exquisite decor of the palace gleam under the light of the golden chandelier as their perfect dance enthral the guests. 

The waltz they danced started out in disharmony, almost like the couple is running away from each other. But then, as the music slows down, the two become perfectly in sync. 

Beat by beat, they follow each other's step as if they were simply breathing. Suddenly, the pace picks up and the couple's moves become complicated. 

Harriet takes the lead and performs a complicated footwork but Leonard matches her perfectly. Of course, he watched and lived with her for years. She slides to one side and he answers her with a playful spin. 

Harriet rests her arms around his neck and gives him a playful grin. He knew what she was about to do. He instinctively lowers his hands to her waist and leans in. 

"Did you really think I wouldn't notice?" He asks. 

Harriet only responds with a light chuckle. Leonard lifts her up and spins her as the music reaches its climax. She looks down at him with a soft smile and a tender gaze. 

He places her gingerly on the floor and spins her around once more as the music slows down. He pulls her close to him, too close, and gives her a tender kiss on the forehead as the music stops playing in the background. 

Harriet clicks her tongue. It was an improper action from the Empress, the mother of the Empire. But it was Harriet. Leonard couldn't stop her even if she wanted to swear. 

"I thought I could manage to make you slip up," she says in a sweet tone. 

Leonard chuckles as he squeezes her hand in his. "Maybe you should try harder next time, my love." He leaves a kiss on the back of her hand and grins. 

"With this," the chamberlain shouts. "Let the dancing begin!" 

And every guest present in the ballroom moved with their partners to the dance floor and danced as the music begins to play another waltz. 

Leonard makes his way to the throne, holding his empress by the hand and escorting her. They lock eyes once more and laugh. It was a harmonious dance, something both of them were much too familiar with. 

"Could you at least yield to me when we're dancing?" She complains beside him. 

"Do you really want to see me be humiliated?" He asks in a low tone, looking at her with pitiful eyes. But Harriet did not waver. 

"It will make me so much happier." 

As expected of his empress. She was someone who wasn't afraid of him. Even when he was courting her a long time ago, such a feisty woman can only stand on equal footing next to an emperor such as himself. 

"Where did Richard go?" He questions as he observes his people dance with merriment on the dance floor. 

"I heard he went out to get some fresh air," Harriet responds. 

"You Majesty," His aide bows. "Baron Howard wishes to speak to you." 

Leonard's face contorts in annoyance as he picks up a wine glass from the table beside him. 

"This is not the place and time to discuss imperial affairs. Tell him to come to me another time," he says. 

"I'm going to go and rest for a moment. In the mean time," he looks at Harriet. "Look after the celebration, love." 

"Do not lake long, Leo. Otherwise the people will become restless," she flashes him a warm smile and gives his hand a small squeeze. 

"You have my word." 


Leonard stays on the balcony of the second floor of his palace and gazes on the large garden stretched in front of him. A sigh escapes his lips as his eyes wander on the vast lot.

Today was taxing.

He had to wake up early in the morning to finish the papers he couldn't. He had to talk to dozens of small minded and greedy nobles for over three hours, discussing about imperial affairs. He had to strategise with the General of his army about the rebel problem in the southern and western boarders. 

And honestly, all he needed was a breath of fresh air. 

When has he ever had a breath of fresh air? Leonard remembers. He remembers it very clearly. He used to frequent the garden after a tiring day at work and heal beside his wife and his daughter. 

Huh? Daughter? 

Leonard frowns. He had no daughter. He only had a son, the crown prince of the empire; heir apparent to the throne. Where did a daughter come from? 

His head throbs as he tries to recall a vague and distant memory. But something seems to be suppressing him. 

"I must've gone insane after drinking one glass of wine," he mumbles to himself. 

"Is this why Harriet never wants me to drink more than one glass?" He wonders. 

Suddenly, from the corner of his eye, he sees a girl no younger than six, running across the massive garden at night. Laughter surrounds the air as he watches her wide-eyed. 

She runs hurriedly toward the gazebo and disappears like a ghost. Leonard's heart quickens as he squints to see clearly. 

"Am I drunk?" He questions his sanity. 

"Surely not—" 

But she appears again, only this time, a little bit older. She runs toward a woman with silver hair and giggles as she gets picked up from the ground. 

Slowly, he sees himself running toward the woman and the young girl, a wide smile plastered on his lips as he envelops the both of them in a tight hug. 

Leonard's frown deepens as he continues to watch the confusing scene in front of him. 

The woman raises her head and looks at him, suddenly, excruciating pain pricks his mind. 

He looks at her once again and realises that they had locked eyes. Leonard collapses on the ground and dreams. 


"Dad!" The voice of a young girl echoes across the palace corridor. 

Leonard turns around and sees his daughter running toward him with a big smile. He took a step back and flinched as she came in contact with his arm. He looks at her and he was certain he had seen her face. He was certain—so why? 

Why is she faceless? 

Leonard chuckles and bends down to pick the girl up. She giggles in his arms and gives him a well-crafted flower crown. 

"Mommy and I made it for you!" She grins at him and gives him a soft peck on the cheek. 

Leonard wanted to move away, but his body was not in his control.

What is happening? Was he dreaming? Is this a dream? 

"Thank you my songbird! This is a lovely present," he hugs her tightly in his arms before giving her a sweet kiss on the forehead. 

"Your birthday is coming soon," he says, his voice laced with adoration. "What do you want as a gift?" 

The child hums. "I don't want anything!" 

"I'm certain you have something you want," he insists. "Come on, tell me. Dad will get it for you." 

Leonard struggles to take control back but it was no use. It was as if his body's control completely slipped from his hands. It was frustrating. 

Who is this girl? Why is she calling him dad? What is happening? So many thoughts ran through Leonard's head, but none of them were being answered. 

"Do you want to hold a banquet in you name?" 

The girls shakes her head. 

"But my love," he pleads. "I want the entire empire to know of your name. I want them to remember you, to cherish and to love you like I do." He says with a huge grin on his face.

"I want them to remember the name, 「◼︎◼︎◼︎」"

Leonard couldn't hear. He failed to hear her name, but all of it felt strangely familiar. All of it felt real. But Leonard simply refused to believe so. 

He couldn't have a daughter. No matter how hard he and Harriet tried, she could only give him Richard. 

After she gave birth to their first and only son, the doctor warned them that the Empress will no longer be capable of birthing another child. 

A concubine was also impossible. Leonard swore to live his whole life with Harriet and only Harriet. 

But then why did it feel so real? 


Leonard wakes up moments after. It had only been five minutes since he passed out, but it certainly felt longer than that in his dream. 

He looks around and there was nobody there, only a lone daisy, lying peacefully on the ground. He picks it up and suddenly, his heart felt like it had lost something very important. 

But Leonard shrugs it off and walks back into the ballroom to reunite with his wife and his people. 

1