V14 – Chapter 169 Playgrounds
217 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Secretary of Navy Finley Reynolds says the Large Unmanned Surface Vehicle or known as the Dale-class contract is running as planned, bumping production up to two hulls a year. Production should begin on the new unmanned Corvette warship late last year. This marks the third major unmanned warship in the past four years.

The Dale name is from Richard Dale, one of the original US Naval officers during the Revolutionary War. He became one of the six original commodores, and the US Navy felt it was important to name the first unmanned warship to one of the foremost naval officers.

The Navy is planning to replace the old Cyclone-class patrol boats with the new Dale. The Navy says these new unmanned Corvettes will be cheaper and more heavily armed. Unlike the Cyclone patrol boats, the Dale is designed for Blue-Water operations.

The US Navy proposed in 2021 to raise the Fleet to 530-hulls, building on top of the original 355-hull plan. The plan is to maintain most of the 355-ship program; they are manned warships. The rest will be unmanned to lightly manned warships to offset the growing need.

This is part of the Navy's smaller hull fleet, moving away from fifty years of relying on large but few warships. With the Extra Large Unmanned Undersea Vehicles or known as the ORCA-class success unmanned submarine and the Medium Displacement Unmanned Surface Vehicle or Sea Hunter-class, the Navy has awarded full production in 2024.

However, Senators Nathaly Ellis from Washington and Sullivan Foley from Puerto Rico have criticized the Navy for pushing unproven technology into the frontlines. They are concerned that the Navy is making the same mistakes as Gerald R. Ford-class and the Zumwalt-class."

 

 

***

--- Alnus Community, School ---

March 28th, 2026

 

Sarah Rose is standing outside the Alnus Community School, waiting patiently

As requested by Sharpe, she has all the students outside after school.

Yesterday, she asked Sharpe to help find a way to integrate Selina with the other students better.

She sees all the students being restless as they wait. They usually would go home right after class.

She glances over and sees Selina standing there, looking down at her phone. She is not alone, Mentiv's younger brother is there asking her questions about the phone.

"At least she isn't alone," Noriko says.

She looks at Noriko and sees her holding her son. She has been her assistant from the beginning. Helping her set up a schedule, organize and mark tests, get school supplies, help create subjects, and everything else.

"Yeah," she replies. "However, I see this split in the class forming. I don't want there to be a small outcast group."

"Sharpe seems not to mind," Noriko says.

"I know," she says. "I don't think he has fully grasped what domestic responsibilities are yet. It was only about six months ago or so when he adopted her. They're both still figuring it out."

"I just cannot believe that my brother has more friends than a Human," Mentiv says. "No offense."

"None taken," she replies.

"Well, Mentiv," Noriko says as she struggles with her fussy son. "During the earthquake, you did bring a lot of food. I think that went a long way(1)."

She looks at Mentiv, the local batgirl. She agrees with Noriko. To her surprise, she is a lot better at kids than expected. She knows how to install fear and laughter into them. She is making class fun.

She walks over and takes Tenchi, trying to help. "Everyone is fussy today."

"Thank you, Sarah," Noriko says. "How are you and Sharpe?"

She looks at Tenchi and wonders what it is like to have a baby. He looks so cute. "We are fine. We don't get many date nights right now because of the war. Surprisingly, that is helping because he is still learning how a romantic relationship works."

"Please correct me, but is it against the rules for you two to date?" Noriko asks.

"Technically, yes," she replies. "However, there are some loopholes. While we are on the same team, we work in different areas. I am in the office, and he is on the field. We maintain separate quarters in different buildings on the base. As long as we maintain some professionalism and boundaries, the brass is looking the other way."

"And it has nothing to do with the fact that your boyfriend is a badass?" Myuute asks as she walks up. She stops next to her and looks at Tenchi. "Well Sarah! one day, you will carry a little one in your arm like her."

She brushes off what Myuute said. “No, no. I would like to have a few kids with Sharpe one day but way too early for that.”

She knows what Myuute said is true. Sharpe is a man who gives all or nothing. Through the NETT camera, she has seen how he acts on the frontlines, and to this day, she cannot believe what he has been through. Yang, Stanford, and the President seem to trust him to get the job done.

She is good at her job and knows Colonel John Yang values her work. She understands that he trusts her a lot and, more importantly, can trust her to help keep Jackson in line and not work himself to death.

What shocked her the most is Myuute baby comment. "No, no. It is way too early for a baby. We finally got Selina off the baby train, and I do not think Jackson can handle it. Besides, there are enough girls in his life, and the last thing he needs is more bills."

"You cannot use him as an escort forever, Sarah, and besides, the girls are earning their own income so that they can also supplement his income," Noriko comments. "And I noticed you didn't say we weren't interested in the idea."

"Also," Mentiv adds. "It is a good way to trap him into marriage. Men cannot help but put a brat into us. A good way to trap them for life." She then winks.

She looks at Mentiv and sees a sadistic side of her. But that is not what shocked her. "That is what my mom told my sister and me."

She hears all the ladies giggles.

"By the way, Sarah," Mentiv asks. "What happened to those kids who were with my brother? The one who lost his arm and the other(2)?"

She remembers seeing it over NETT. Vanguard-7 was forced to fight and kill a few kids who were forced into the servitude of the Empire. A few were saved, but only a few.

"The boy who lost his arm is still in therapy," she says. "He and the other boy were taken in by Karlin. They are staying at the orphanage NATO built. I am hoping that they will join the school when they are ready. However, the team was forced to kill some of the boys as they were too brainwashed to listen to reasons".

She then looks to Myuute. "By the way Myuute, why are you here? Shouldn't you be patrolling the streets or helping the Adventurers?"

"Or sleeping with that hot stud!" Mentiv adds.

Myuute giggles and blushes. "Before you ask, he is fine. He is returning to work in a few weeks. The surgeon was a complete success."

"But I saw you standing here with all these kids which isn't normal," Myuute says. "New rules, always investigate if you see children around."

She knows of that rule. After the Haryo Tribe kidnapped those children and turned them into brainwashed slaves(3). The Alnus Military Police and NATO are investing in more resources so that never happens again. "Make sense."

"So why are you all here?" Myuute asks. "Shouldn't the kids be going home?"

"Sharpe asked Sarah to keep the students here after class," Noriko says as she takes her son back from Sarah. "He has a special surprise for everyone."

Myuute stands there and blinks. "Oh. Should I call for backup? When Sharpe gets big ideas heads usually roll."

She chuckles. "I don't want my boyfriend to go to jail so no." She then thinks about that thought. "But it might be hot if he chose to go to jail. The bad boy."

As they all giggle, she sees a HUMVEE coming around the corner. She then sees a Stryker right behind it. It is the Dragoon version with the 30mm cannon. "Oh no."

The vehicles stop right in front of the school. The Stryker rams open and she sees Jerry, Alicia, and Andrew, plus other soldiers.

She looks at the children and they are staring at the four million dollars military hardware with 'aww'.

She looks up, seeing what Sharpe's plan is. She sees Sharpe walk out of the Stryker.

Sharpe is in full-body gear, like everyone else.

Sharpe stops at a confused Selina. "Hey, kid. Ready to go?"

"Uhh…," Selina mumbles, confused about what is happening.

Sharpe whispers something to her and pats her on the back. He then looks at the other kids.

All the kids are looking at the Stryker or the armed soldiers. All with these amazing eyes.

"Hey Sarah," Sharpe says. "I am taking Selina and were going to go blow stuff up."

"Blow stuff up?" Al-Gron asks in a jealous tone.

Sharpe looks at the kids and smirks. He then points to the 30mm cannon. "Well yeah. That cannon right there, we use it to tear up the enemy."

All the kids do a collective 'wow'.

Sharpe smirks. "Pretty cool isn't it. There was this one time we used a massive cannon that is built inside a floating black ball to blow up a planet. It was amazing, rubble everywhere."

She watches Sharpe as he tells a story on how he blew up a planet, saved the day, got the girl, and so on. She cannot believe what she is hearing.

"I think your boyfriend just ripped off Star Wars(4)," Noriko states. "And I think he made the Empire the good guys."

Noriko is referencing the fourth Star Wars movie where the Empire blew up a planet. Sharpe is ripping that idea off to impress the kids but putting his spin on it.

What she cannot believe is that the kids are eating it up. She does not know if they believe him or just enjoying the made-up story.

"Anyway," Sharpe says. "Let's go, Selina."

The group does another collective 'aww' as they are jealous that they cannot come.

"Well…," Sharpe mumbles and smirks. He looks over to Selina. "I guess they can. We were just going to drive around and blow stuff up. Selina, you don't mind your friends coming along?"

Selina gets nervous as everyone looks at her. "Ahh…. Sure?".

All the kids then collectively praised

"Alright," Sharpe says. "Alicia, Jerry, round them up."

"Jackson," she says, taking control of the situation. She gives him a 'he is in trouble' look.

"I guess I am in trouble, kids," Sharpe says, joking around. "Better get permission from the hot teacher."

"Oh lord," Alicia mumbles as she rolls her eyes.

Sharpe walks over as the kids make fun of him for getting in trouble. He walks up to her.

"Hi, Jackson," Noriko says, waving Tenchi hand for him. "Say hi, Tenchi."

"Hey kid," Sharpe replies and pokes Tenchi’s cheek, making him laugh. He then looks at her. "What is up Sarah?"

"What are you doing?" she asks, arms crossed.

"Doing exactly what you wanted," Sharpe replies.

"I asked you to help Selina," she says. "Not show off."

"Hey!” Sharpe says in an excited tone. "What is the coolest thing ever invented? Giant military hardware and giant explosions. She will be so popular after this. Trust me." He then winks in a cocky manner.

She takes a stressful breath. "Ok."

"Speaking of all that epicenes, Sharpe," Myuute says. "You do know you need a permit to drive that M1128? Dragoon Stryker into the city? You can only bring those things in here during emergencies without a permit." She then crosses her arms and smirks.

She looks at Sharpe, knowing he did not fill out a permit. She sees him looking confused.

"Ahh…," Sharpe mumbles. "Permit, yeah. Totally have one. I just forgot it at the office…."

"Right," Myuute replies.

She chuckles, expecting that response. She can see him glancing at her, hoping that she bails him out. "Fine. I will go get the permit for you."

"You’re the best Sarah," Sharpe says.

She watches him walk off. She is happy that he is happy and taking more interest in Selina's life, even though angry about the manner of it. However, there is one more thing.

"Jackson," she says.

Sharpe stops and looks at her. "Yes?"

"Say thank you," she says, smiling.

Sharpe raised an eyebrow, confused. "I said you are the best. Thank you."

Noriko giggles. "She means to give her a kiss."

She smiles, wanting a public ‘thank you’ kiss. She can see the embarrassing look on his face. She can tell that he has never done this before.

Sharpe debates the idea in his head. He then walks up to her and gives her a ‘thank you’ kiss.

In the background, she can hear the soldiers and kids hooting and laughing.

"Love yeah," Sharpe whispers and walks away. "Everyone in the Stryker now!"

She smiles. She sees Jerry, Vanguard-7 team medic. She is surprised to see him, being one of the more responsible Rangers. "Jerry. Keep those kids alive."

Jerry stops. "Yes, ma'am."

She watches them leave. She is very frustrated. "Great."

She is annoyed because she is not happy that Sharpe went crazy and broke many rules to do what he is going to do. That he is showing off military hardware to impress kids.

At the same time all that made her love him more. Going all out, being incentives, being fun with her students, calling her hot in front of them, being alive.

Right now, all she wants is him taking her into the classroom office and fucking her. She sighs. "Dammit. Now I’m going to be frustrated all day." She pinches the bridge of her nose.

 

--- Hours later, nearby valley training zone ---

 

Selina is standing there watching everyone have fun.

After leaving Alnus, Sharpe took them all to an empty valley. All around, she can see destroyed targets, and every other thing you usually see at a mechanized training ground.

When Sarah told her that her father was picking her up today, she was excited. The idea to get to spend time alone.

However, she is here with her class, which she hates. She hates all of them except for one. The only reason she is going because her Father said so and that Sarah is the teacher.

She looks around and sees some kids around Jerry. He is talking about some of their advanced medical supplies.

She looks back at her Father as he stands next to the Stryker.

"Alright kids," Sharpe says. "On top of this ten-ton death machine is what we call a 30 mm Mk44 Bushmaster II chain gun. It fires explosive shells at the enemy."

She watches her Father enjoying himself. He is telling a story about how a single 30 mm shell can destroy a world. While she knows none of them believes him, he has a gift of telling crazy stories that sounds true.

She likes that about him; it always makes her laugh. To her surprise, she has seen his crazy stories get him out of trouble. To this day, she does not understand how that works.

"You see our truck over there?" says Sharpe and points. "See how someone is up through that hole manning the .50 Cal? And see how the Stryker doesn't have that?"

"Yeah?" Nassico replies. "What is your point?"

"My point is that the soldier is inside," Sharpe says, smiling. "There is a camera on the turret that is connected to a computer. That means the turret operator is safe inside while he kills the enemy."

Sharpe yells, to the turret operator. "Corporal! Fire single shot."

She looks downrange and sees one of the targets explode.

She watches her fellow students get excited by the small explosion. She finds the destruction impressive, reminding her all the times she saw battle.

"That was cool," Nassuulo says.

"Damn right, it's cool," Sharpe says.

"Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe," Nassico says. "Have you fought with this thing before? What is it like out there?"

Sharpe smirks. "A Stryker is the standard combat vehicle in the US Army. It is the backbone, so yeah; I’ve seen it fight the Empire many times."

"Cool," Nassico says. "What was it like? I can just imagine you shredding down the Empire."

She watches how everyone likes her Father. This only frustrates her, feeling like she is losing her Father.

All she wanted was a lovely day with her Father. She enjoys those special days with him because he takes a particular interest in her life. She doesn't understand why her Father is focusing so much on her classmates.

She takes a deep breath, arm crossed, feeling ignored. She debates leaving and hanging out with her aunt, (5) Alicia.

"It is called gun down Nassico," Sharpe corrects. "I have a few stories, but Selina can tell you some."

She looks at everyone as she notices that she is suddenly the center of attention. "What?"

"Selina," Sharpe says. "Remember when you were with us during the Elies Forest(6) and Italica(7)?"

She remembers those battles. She only witnessed the Siege of Italica from afar. In the Elies Forest, she stayed in the vehicle.

"Ahh…," she mumbles. She looks around, seeing the other students looking at her. She was not expecting to get all this attention. "Yes…"

"Wait," Nassico says in a confused tone. "You've been out with them? I mean for real?".

She nods.

"That was why you were at that science base," Jasif Alis says.

"Yes," she responds.

"What was it like?" Nassuulo asks.

Her father has been teaching her to be more confident with herself. He did not want her to become reserved because of all the horrible things that happened to her.

She thinks she has gotten more confident, acting on her own. Right now, she feels nervous. She did not realize how comfortable she got being the class outcast.

"I didn't do much myself," she says nervously, rubbing her hand on her arm, doing what she can not to ramble. "At Italica, Lieutenant Johnson and I were watching from a rooftop. But I did see their attack helicopters come in and blow up the bandits."

She sees the interest in the student's eyes which makes her nervous. She does not know if she should stop talking or not. "But we were in the Elies Forest. The Empire took one of the Rangers, so we had to go find him. There was this group that we ambushed. After my Ranger friends their ass one of them talked and told us where the missing Ranger is and…"

She hears her father speak her name. She then realizes that she was rambling again.

She looks at her classmates and sees them interested in the story.

"I cannot believe you were there," Nassico says, surprised.

"Sharpe said you saw that Stryker fire," Nassuulo asks.

She nods. "Yes. When we got to the Empire fort, I saw that firing nonstop. It took out all the Empire defense in minutes."

She smiles as she feels more confident now. "It was very cool watching all the soldiers attacking the fort."

"Did you help or hide?" Nassuulo asks

"Ahh no," she replies. "I think I was a runner?"

"Kids," Sharpe interjects. "A runner is coming, and one carries a message between units."

She nods. "Yup. I was told to warn everyone that the Empire had cavalry coming." She then smirks at the memory. "You should have seen it. One of their airplanes flew over(8) and…-."

"Alright kids," Sharpe says. "That is enough stories today." He then points to some students. "Your half will get the first turn in the Stryker. Corporal Barret will show you how to use a computer. Everyone else goes with Specialist Alicia Moore. She will let you call in an artillery strike."

She looks around and sees the students rush around, all excited to do their assigned tasks.

She decided to follow her friend Jasif Alis to Alicia.

Once the group gathers around, Alicia explains how everything works. She has seen Alicia talk over the radio and knows how complex it is. Alicia is giving a dumb down version for the event.

"Princess," Alicia says. "Ladies first.”

She follows Alicia and sits down.

"’Kay kid," Alicia says as she sits down next to her. "Let these blows be how girls blow up stuff."

She looks at her and giggles. "Ok."

Alicia hands her the radio and shows her a note of what to say.

She looks at the note. "1st Cav Actual, requesting friendly-fire support. Practice rounds…"

As she gives the coordinates over the radio. She looks out into the distance and sees the actual targets about a kilometer away.

She then hears the loud booming sounds above her. In front of her she sees the artillery hitting the target she radioed in. She sees about a dozen explosions hit the target before everything goes quiet.

"Cool," she mumbles.

"Cool indeed," Alicia says as she chuckles.

"Hey Selina," Alicia says. "I notice you haven't talked to your pops since school. You understand he did all of this for you?"

"If he did, why did he invite everyone else?" Selina says, now annoyed. "I wanted time alone, not time with everyone I hate."

"I don't know," Alicia replies. "It looked like you guys were having fun over there. Give it a chance."

She looks at Alicia and thinks. She did enjoy them asking her all those questions. They all seemed to be nicer, however, she wonders for how long they would keep that attitude up.

Alicia stands up. "Alright, who is next?"

She stands up and brushes off her skirt. She gets back in line as the next kid sits down.

As she watches the other students take their turn calling in artillery, she sees Nassico walk up.  "I am not in the mood, Nassico. Just go blow some stuff up."

"I can in a moment," Nassico responds. He walks up and crosses his arms. "Those explosions are cool and all, but I want to hear about that aeroplane story. I always wanted to see aeroplanes blow stuff up."

She blinks in confusion. "Ahh ok." She then tells the story of when the AC-130 gunship flew overhead and killed all the Empire cavalry during the Battle of the Elies Forest.

 

***

--- Alnus Community, school ---

March 29th, 2026

 

Selina is at her desk. Sarah is back at base so today Mentiv is there teaching. The topic is covering all the known races of Falmart.

As she takes notes, she stops at the Wood Elves part.

After yesterday's event, she wanted to hang out with Lelei, but she was busy with her bookworm activities as Lelei buried herself with more physics, astronomy and chemistry books and scientific information from the internet along with her usual magic spell experiment. Tuka was busy practicing the guitar and the piano, Rory was drunk due to her usual alcoholism, and Yao was busy learning the NATO terminology so she could travel around Vanguard-7. Her father had a late-night shift and the only time off was when he was driving to Fort Minick.

She places her elbow on her desk, bored of the topic.

She notices that she accidentally knocked one of her pencils onto the floor. She looks down to look for it.

"Hey," Nassuulo says with a smile. She is the class purple snake-hair Medusae. "Here you go."

She sees her pencil in Nassuulo's hand. She takes it from her. "Ahh… thank you."

Nassuulo chuckles. "Yesterday was fun."

"Yeah," she mumbles. "It was I guess."

"I didn't realize you did so much," Nassuulo whispers. "I heard you and the batboy, I mean Jasif was at that science base(9). I heard they fire stuff in the air. Is that true?"

She smiles. "Yes. It was an interesting place. I know my father liked it a lot."

"Cool," Nassuulo says. "During lunch do you mind telling more stories and helping me study math?"

"Okay," she replies.

She then listens to Nassuulo talk about how she wishes she could travel around and see the world. Besides being a refugee from Maria's farmlands.

She realizes that Nassuulo is far more friendly than before. She then realizes what Alicia meant by her dad doing all that yesterday for her. Her father got everyone together to normalize everyone, to give everyone something in common to bond over.

When her father had her tell everyone her adventures with Vanguard-7 and the things she has seen, it showed all the students there is more to her than being an Edrean. More than being a princess or as her father's favorite saying, 'More than meets the eye'.

She grabs her phone and texts her father, saying thank you and that she loves him.

She then hears a loud noise and looks up.

Mentiv slammed her hand on the whiteboard, looking directly at her. "No texting in class Selina!"

"Is that because you're jealous that you cannot type on one of those talking devices with those razor claws of yours?" Nassico says in a sarcastic tone.

Many of the students laugh.

"Haha. Very funny! Nassico!! Perhaps you’d like some detentions?" Mentiv threatens.  

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 128

(2)Chapter 134

(3)Chapter 146

(4)Stars Wars Episode IV, New Hope

(5)Aunt in terms that Alicia has a distinct friend relationship with Selina. Not in blood

(6)Elies Forest Campaign, Chapters 30-

(7)Siege of Italica, Chapters 14-20

(8)Chapter 35

(9)Camp Galileo

 

5