V17 – Chapter 201
179 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The United States Army has finished transferring administration duties to the British Army. It is a region known as the ‘Old Amosey Land’. This land was once part of an Elvish Kingdom that long since disappeared. 

The land is located between the north of the Kingdom of Alguna and the south of the US Territory. Currently, the 79th Infantry Brigade, 40th Infantry Division was responsible for occupying this area. The 79th has been engaging a counterinsurgency campaign in the area, mainly around the town of Jymale. The Empire and the Elbe Resistance have been hiding in the Tasiss Mountains to conduct raids and support slave owners who are upset about paying their slaves.

The list of towns in Amosey consists of the Amosey Ruin Town, a town which was built inside the ruins. Jymale, a farming town. Vaerret, a trading and farming town that borders Alguna. And lastly On the west side of the Row Stream are the towns of Beyros and Ironen.

The British are taking over security, economic, and political administration leadership.” - The Podcast of the Lotus Eaters

 

***

--- Keelbury Woodland ---

Date: June 2nd, 2026 

 

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle slides on the trail. A convoy of five JLTVs moving down a path behind enemy lines. Vanguard-7 is assaulting an enemy position by outflanking the Empire through a forest trail. 

Specialist Harvey Frost has his new M5 rifle out the window, looking for targets. 

In the bushes, two targets appear. "Scott, two targets right, two o'clock."

Private First-Class Marven Scott adjusts the JLTV M2 Browning .50 caliber to the right and opens fire. The two targets are torn apart.

"Target down," Frost reports as they pass.

"Contact! Tactical left!" Sofia calls over NW.  

The sound of weapons fire echoes the convoy—an explosion from the team's new Mk 47 Striker grenade launcher destroying the target.

"Vanguard-lead, this is Vanguard Actual, IRS shows Imperialist due west, platoon strength," Second Lieutenant Jenny Greene said. "Permission to engage?"

"Roger that Actual," Sharpe said. "The entire area is hostile, so engage."

Frost sees another target standing by a tree. He aims and fires, hitting the target after a couple of shots.

"Vanguard-lead," Andrew said. "Boulder up ahead, blocking the road."

"Roger that, Andrew," Sharpe said. "Actual, why didn't the IRS detect that?"

There is a short silence from Vanguard-Actual before Greene responds. "I am sorry, sir. Here is a new path."

"All drivers, I have updated your BFT (Blue Force Tracker)," Sharpe said. "We are redirecting right off-road. Lelei will use her magic to cut any objects in our path."

"You have got to be kidding?" Owen said. "Are we really off reading? Isn't their stories of patrols going outside the planned route and getting swarmed?"

Frost heard of stories like that. Usually, squads who made a wrong turn or GPS are glitchy because the bandwidth was over capacity that day. A simple patrol turns into a fight for their lives. Vanguard-1 ran into a situation like that in Elies. Surrounded for three hours before reinforcements were able to break free.

"Yup, but the difference is we are the best," Frost replied. "Now stay focused and ram anyone who gets in the way."

Looking out, Frost sees the first two JLTVs firing at some brush. An explosion happens, engulfing the brush. In the brush was a loaded ballista.

"Looks assume that was for us?" Scott asked.

"Not anymore," Sofia replied.

As the unit moves through the forest, Frost spots someone in a tree. He aims but misses. An arrow hits it.

"Better luck next time Frosty," Tuka said.

"It is these damn new rifles," Frost responded. He sees a ballista with two soldiers next to it. He takes his M320 and fires a grenade, destroying the target. "That worked, though."

The vanguard-7 convoy leaves the forest and sees their objective, the enemy camp. There is a tower, fortifications, and tents.

All the vehicles form a line, the heavy weapons begin providing suppressive fire as everyone dismount.

Randy starts ordering where he wants the Randers and four Rose Knights. 

Taking cover by a log, Frost aims his M5 and fires at the defenders. 

"Be advised, Sergeant Marvin has been hit," Ginebra said over NW, she being Pina radio operator. "Enemy patrol behind us, engaging."

"Coordinates confirmed," Greene said. "155mm artillery inbound."

Frost sees Jerry leave his position and rush to Scott. Alicia takes his place, holding a radio. "Bringing in the rain?"

"Fuck the rain," Alicia said. "I am bringing real destruction on these bastards. But hey, based on how you guys smell, they could use a shower."

Moments later, artillery comes raining down and wiping the enemy camp clear. Frost watches tears into the fortifications.

Sharpe walks over, "focus on that tower. Probably an enemy magic tower-like last time."

Alicia provides the new coordinates, and 155mm artillery begins raining down on the tower, destroying it. 

Seeing that the enemy has been defeated, Frost gets up from his position and rushes over to Scott. 

Jerry stands up and looks at Randy and Sharpe. "Sorry, sir, he is gone."

Specialist Harvey Frost, Lelei La Lalena, Specialist Alicia Moore, Sergeant Andrew Steele look down at Private First-Class Marvin Scott dead body. The two new Rangers, Private First Class Graysen Owen, and Specialist Daniel Chapman walk up. Owen lightly kicks Scott's foot. "Damn, that sucks. I wonder if his hot Neko is available now."

"She only chases mice, not dicks," Alicia points out.

The Rangers laugh. Lelei looks around. "Shouldn't you all be more respectful?"

"Na," Andrew said. "It’s Scott so who cares."

"You all are dicks," Scott said.

Chuckling, Frost helps Scott up. "How was the afterlife? Is it as cool as the good book says it is?"

"It was cool; there was a lack of towels, though," Scott said. "Still, you all are assholes."

As everyone laughs, he gets in the middle of everyone. "Listen up. Today was practice, but what if he really was killed? When behind enemy lines, always keep your eyes on your flanks. Now form up."

Now that the training simulation ended, HUMVEEs appear to evaluate the mission.

As the brass meet, Frost heads to the other Rangers. "What do you think of the M5 guys?"

"It is definitely lighter," Sofia comments. "Feels like a lighter M4."

"Forget about the weight; the SIG has some power behind it," Andrew states.

"No kidding, I still am struggling with aiming," Frost said. "For a simple design, it is powerful."

First Sergeant Jacob Waltz, VRTF-2 head training NCO, walks up. "You need to forget what you know about rifles. The M5 is not an upgrade; it is a whole new game—its design to the gun and, more importantly, the new 6.8x51mm bullet. The scope and all the new features are another beast. And don't forget the extra recoil because of the larger caliber."

Walts begin lecturing Vanguard-7 on the new features and differences of the rifle. He states the same information the Rangers have heard a hundred times the past few weeks. What makes the M5 or nicknamed ''Spear,'' is about how light it is and how similar it is to the M4. For a soldier, weight is everything. The less weight the weapon, gear, ammo is, the more cargo a soldier could carry. Less weight also means the physical body does not wear and tear as quickly. SIG Sauer's Spear rifle was picked over the General Dynamics RM277 NGSW platform because it was of European design for the Army, and AAI/Textron rifle, while promising, ended up being too ambitious for the Army. Both companies' 6.8 ammunition would have required an industry overhaul for their ammo, while SIG needed almost no overhaul for the industry. 

The SIG 6.8 hybrid ammunition merges brass with other materials like steel to reduce the case's weight and size. The new materials allow each bullet to weigh twenty percent less than the 5.56×45mm NATO. 

This boasts a SAAMI maximum average pressure of 80,000 psi, driving a 135-grain bullet to 3,000+ fps, way higher than almost all other cartridge types. While the training transition is vastly shorter than the other two choices, there still is a learning curve for the new rifle. The Ranger needs to adjust what he has learned to the new dimensions of the M5 Spear.

"You have to unlearn what you know about the M4, and then you can fully utilize the M5 Spear," Waltz finishes. 

 

--- 

 

As the Rangers reload the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, Sergeant Andrew Steele walks over to the new Rangers. "How are you all settling in?"

Private First-Class Graysen Owen sets down a box in the back of the JLTV, panting.

“Are you ok Graysen?” Andrew asked. “Do you need the Doc?”

“No, I am still getting used to this extra gravity,” Graysen said. “The base said I should have gotten used to it in no time but here I am.”

Andrew remembers the first time he arrived. He felt something different and it was determined it was gravity. This ended up not being a concern as the human body quickly adapted to the small increase in gravity. Most soldiers barely even notice the differences but once and a while it affects someone worse - no one ever been deeply harmed by it though. “The gravity isn’t that much different than Earth but I guess everybody is different but you will get used to it.”

"Not the post I wanted, but this will do," Greysen said.

"Really?" Andrew asked. "Most Rangers seem to want to join V7. Want to be in the thick of it."

"Don't need to be in V7 to be in the thick of it, Sarge," Graysen said. "But glad to be here. It's just, the aliens scare me. Especially Rory and Lelei. What they are is not natural."

Andrew remembers that feeling when he first met Lelei and Rory. While it was easier for him because of his hobbies, it was still strange seeing Lelei's magic and Rory's supernatural abilities(2). After some battles, everyone started to see each other as friends. 

It is fascinating that war can be seen as the greatest divide for Mankind. At the same time, Andrew finds it interesting that war can also be the biggest unifier for Mankind. Life is always interesting and confusing. "You will get used to it. They are harmless, well, Lelei harmless. Rory loves to play war for domination, so if you show weakness, she will attack you."

Both Rangers stop and look at each other, nervous.

Seeing their reaction, Andrew chuckles. He pulls out a kick kat bar from his vest pouch. "Just have one of these on you at all times, and you will be safe."

The kick kat bar suddenly disappears. Next to Andrew is Rory walking away, eating the candy. 

After eating her candy bar, Rory glances over at the new Rangers. She gives off an evil smirk. "Fresh meat. Keep your zippers up, boys." She then walks and starts singing Shoot to Thrill by ACDC.

"She is bat shit crazy," Graysen said. 

Chapman laughs. "And that is why I asked for this assignment. This unit is bat shit crazy." He then points to Andrew. "Speaking of batshit, is it true you are banging one of the natives girls. The Princess servant was it? She must be fun for a servant girl, doing whatever you want when you want. How the hell did you get that arrangement, lucky dog."

Grayson laughs, elbowing Chapman. "Rumor is she is cute for a knight."

"I bet she knows how to use a sword," Chapman said. "Cannot wait to get my own."

Hearing that pissed Andrew off. Soldiers talk like this all the time, to relieve stress - he has done that many times however this felt personal. He glances over and sees Pina and Ginebra standing by their vehicle, overhearing the two Rangers. "Knock it off, you two. Maybe she was a servant, but she has done more for the team than either of you, so besides talking about getting laid, make sure you can pull the trigger. And besides, she is my wife. Mrs. Steele, mind you."

The two Rangers get a reality check, they stand at attention, apologizing for their comments. That they meant nothing and were just goofing around.

"Now, about that batshit crazy stuff, get used to it," Andrew said. "If you want to look down at people, then watch your own six. This unit has a great habit of getting into the thick of things, and if you are not on your A-game, you will be dead. Rory, Lelei, and even Tuka have saved this unit many times because we work together."

"Now, Chapman, your file says you saw action early in the war?" Andrew asked. "What is your story?"

"Sarge," Chapman said. "I served in the Troph Hills Campaign with the 101st, 1st BCT, 3rd Battalion. I was part of a motor team. We were responsible for motoring out the Imperialists, but our position was ambushed. We easily defeated them, but I got an arrow in the leg."

"Must have been before the Empire started dipping poison on the arrowhead," Andrew said. "You're lucky. A lot of soldiers go out like that."

"Yes, Sarge," Chapman said. "Once my leg was patched up, I heard about what the Rangers were doing, so I went to Ranger School. I didn't want to be assigned to another desk jockey unit, so I picked the Rangers because I had a say. Fucking Officers."

Hearing that last part reminded Andrew of Sofia. Chapman will fit in with her. "Private? You are a demolition expert, correct?"

"Yes, Sarge," Greyson said. "Tell me what to blow up and I will bring the fireworks."

"Good," Andrew said. "We cannot rely on Lelei for support all the time, and Rory can only tank in one position. I expect you two to carry your weight. You wouldn't want the ladies of this world to think you cannot perform. Now get to work."

As they leave, Pina walks over. "Thank you for standing up for Hamilton."

"I didn't stick up for her because she is your servant Princess," Andrew said. "I did because she is going to be my wife. I get a lot of crap because you guys trained her to be this submissive servant. She is sweet, but I get the sexist look all the time because she picks up after me. Let's be honest, the only reason she is still not your slave is that Alicia helped her beat me in a card game in Italica(3)." 

"Now, let's get ready Princess, we have a lot of work to do."

 

--- 

 

Sharpe looks out at the destroyed tower. This was the Imperial fort that the US first attacked on February 28th, 2025(1). The battle was a significant learning experience for the US Army; while the battle was won, it did come at a cost. Tactics had to be reexamining.

That old tower housed a powerful mage and was using some devices to amplify his magic. When the US Army arrived, Vanguard-7 took out the tower with artillery. However, that was after magical attacks destroyed a few Stryker’s and Bradley’s. It showed while the US had advanced technology, blindly relying on it would not win the war.

On Sharpe’s left, Lelei appears. She stops by his side. 

In front of the. A small stick floats up, being controlled by Lelei telekinesis. The stick moves forward and pokes Sharpe's helmet. Both look at each other and laugh. 

"I want to say congratulations, sir, so congratulations," Lelei said.

"Thank you, Lelei," Sharpe replied. "How are you holding up? Are you excited to go back to Rondel?"

Lelei hesitates to respond, placing her hand on her arm. "Feels unreal after this long. Cato took me away for special training, but now, it feels strange that people there hate me. What if I don't get my diploma? I’ve already worked so hard for it, and I’m afraid they will reject my work and expel me out of their hatred toward my affiliation with NATO. I cannot believe there is so much jealousness over my newfound knowledge and power."

"I think you will get that diploma, so no point in worrying,” Sharpe said. “Besides, even if they denied you the diploma, you still have a recommendation from Soredin to be part of the high-rank position within the North American Coven.”

"Of course you would say that," Lelei said. "How can you be so sure, though? And how can I abandon Rondel to the rotten hands of the League? I grew up and trained my magic there in the first place. I cannot let Rondel be dragged down with the League even if the Coven offers me a high-rank position. I need to get the diploma to become the Archmage so I can change Rondel forever."

Sharpe chuckles, enjoying that sense of loyalty. "That is easy." As he speaks, he adjusts his rifle. "Just always remember this, we have rifles. They don’t."

Lelei looks at Sharpe. She then covers her mouth and laughs.

"It wasn't that funny."

"Lelei laughing, there must be a god," Randy said as he approached.

"Yeah, as expected," Sharpe replied. "But they need to be faster at calling out targets. Plus, Vanguard Actual should have caught that Boulder. That boulder blocking the road could have ended badly if this was a real encounter."

"The new Logistic Officer seems to be a bit green," Randy said.

"She passed Ranger School, impressive for a woman, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt. Still, she is definitely not Sarah. Didn't have to think about small things like a boulder."

With Sarah settling in her command position in Vanguard Logistical-2, Sharpe realizes how much he relied on her, maybe too much.

Pina rushes up. "You called, sir?"

"Yes, good job keeping up," Sharpe said. "Whoever your driver is, she has caught up quickly."

"Thank you, sir," Pina said. "My driver is Private First Class Balalaika Id Litoria, and she has been practicing every chance she got." 

For this mission, the brass thought it would be a good idea to use Pina royalty to influence Rondel to the NATO side."

"Alright, get them on the firing line, and then let's head back," Sharpe orders.

 

*** 

--- Alnus Community, Columna Lactaria --- 

Date: June 3rd, 2026 

 

Another busy day at the Columna Lactaria, a Miritta temple approved by the Federal government to help manage orphans children, provide welfare to the townsfolk, and rehab to ex-slaves. 

While the government was hesitant, Mirittla Apostle insisted that a facility would be beneficial. After discovering that the Haryo Tribe kidnapped children and brainwashed them to act like spies, having Karlin protecting these orphans has been a blessing. Kids without parents or poor mothers come here to help with nursing or child birthing—a safe place for mothers and children.

"That is good," Jerry said after giving a shot. "Next."

Selina, dressed in a nurse outfit, walks over, escorting a pregnant Monarch Wing with blue wings - the Monarch shows that she is nine months pregnant. Unlike a Siren like Myuutie and Beluutie, a Monarch has wings and can fly. To Jerry's shock, this Monarch wings are broken.

"Here you go, Doc," Selina said.

"Thank you, Princess," Jerry said. "What is going on here?"

"She is about to have a baby but is scared to go to the hospital," Selina said. "She heard stories that it is like a dungeon and that the food is poison."

Jerry responded with a chuckle. This is not the first time he has heard this story. Many natives are afraid of advanced technology and methods - still prefer the old ways because it is comfortable. While this viewpoint is on the decline, it will take time.

"Well, she is right about the food; it is hospital food, after all." Jerry grabs his glows and prep to give birth. "Can you get Karlin and keep this area clear?"

Selina salutes. "Yes, sir. I will keep the boys out."

"I am not an officer, Selina; I am a Specialist, so don’t call me sir," Jerry said, jokily. After school, Selina usually helps out at the temple to study, train, or help out until she is picked up. With people after her, this is probably the safest place for her. Plus, Many of Selina's friends live here, like Naminto and Lars. She talks about this place a lot. "And if you are going to keep the boys out, then are you going to kick me out?"

Selina blinks, unable to respond. "I am going to get Karlin."

Watching Selina leave, Jerry chuckles. "Princess for the people." He then looks at the Monarch and instructs her to get into a robe. "What happened to your wing? Have they been checked out?"

"When you people conquered Lirtor, your people said you were going to free us, slaves," the Monarch said. "So my master broke my wings. He said I don't deserve freedom, and he did it so I could never fly free."

"I am sorry to hear that," Jerry said. He had no idea how to respond. He has seen enough barbarism to the point it has become normalized. Plus, nothing he says can change it. 

Karlin walks in, and she assists Jerry in helping with a successful delivery. He walks out of the room and heads into the temple's main chamber to wash up.

The temple is divided into six areas. Chamber one is an orphanage. Chamber two is the mother nursing clinic to help poor mothers get nutrition for their babies. Chamber three is the medical clinic to help with the birth. The last chamber is a shrine of Miritta. The temple has to be aA-political. However, the shrine cast protection for everyone from the other gods, regardless of who they follow. A mass washing facility to maintain hygiene and a small soup kitchen.

Today seems to be an average day. Not that many people coming through. The people who usually take advantage of these services are new Alnus residents who have yet established roots.

"Good job, Specialist," Karlin said. "At this rate, you will be expecting baby delivery."

"I hope not; I just wanted the experience." It surprises Jerry how calm Karlin is after delivering a baby. He feels exhausted, this only being the second time.

To Jerry's surprise, he learned a lot. While most races give live births, the Monarch birthed a large egg. He heard stories from Myuute that the Siren races lay eggs after four to five months.

"If you say so," Jerry replied. Over the past few months, his medical skills have been tested. Having to treat other races, treat wounds that are beyond his professional scope, and so on. That is when he decides to volunteer at the temple to gain experience with other races.

After a short chat, Jerry heads into the main chamber. After finding a spot, he begins treating others.

During this, Jerry notices this woman scrubbing the floor. The woman is complaining, mumbling about how unfair life is. Close by is a female MP sitting; keep an eye on this woman.

"Can you stop complaining? You are scaring my clients." Jerry said.

The woman leans up, glaring at him. "Watch it! I am an Adventurer and should be respected."

"An Adventurer, so your the ones who tried to rape a brothel girl and got their ass kicked while fighting my boss," Jerry points out. "No wonder no one likes you people."

The woman glares but then takes a deep breath. “I know. We really made a mess of things. I cannot believe it is this hard. It never was before. I don’t understand what happened to the world.”

“The world is changing,” Jerry said. “I don’t know much about you guys but it sounds like you Adventurers abuse your positions. I know how the world works, money usually dictates everything but there are redlines. Myuute explained that you guys use people's problems to enrich yourselves for fame and glory.”

“I don’t know about all that but the world is changing,” the woman said. “Our trip to Earth proved that(4). We once were brave warriors, celebrated by the common folk. When bandits or goblin hordes attack villages we come to their aid. We were once heroes and here I am now, scrubbing a floor like a slave. Just like my mother.”

This situation confuses Jerry. Volunteers from Alnus and from the US often do this kind of work, but it looks like this woman is being forced to be here. “Why don’t you just leave and go back to your job? Why stay here?”

“Because I actually like this place,” the woman said. “While some things are strange, I like it. And besides, the future is here. There is nothing to go back to. The Guild will fall. What is the point of the guild if you defeat everything? Everything was peaceful in your country.”

“Well, don’t think we are perfect,” Jerry said. “We have a ton of problems too. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have soldiers and police.”

“I bet, there always will be crime but that is not what I meant,” the woman said. “We are trying to join those PMC but G4S said we had to do our community service before they would hire us. These PMC’s seem to be like a Guild but the pay is more stable. If they are going to kill bandits and goblins then I am on board. I just hope the rest of my party will follow suit.”

The woman holds out her hand. “I see you people like to do greetings like this. My name is Lillie Hauroth, Sapphire Rank.”

For a moment Jerry considered not giving Lillie his name. But he finds something genuine about this woman so he takes her hand. “Specialist Jerry William.”

“Nice to meet you,” Lillie said. “I did not know you Other Worlders worship our gods. What made you change gods?’

“I am not a follower of Miritta, I am just volunteering here,” Jerry said. “When I am on the field I have to help natives. Never know when I need this experience. Plus, my boss has connections in this temple so it's a good place to learn.”

“I see,” Lillie replied. “I guess that makes sense, a healer like you. What made you become a healer if you don’t mind me asking? It doesn't seem like you get a lot of reward from it.”

“My foster parents own a clinic in Virginia,” Jerry said. “I was supposed to go to school so one day I could take it over. During the pandemic, we lost most of our money so I no longer could. That is why I enlisted into the army, to get a medical background.”

“You said foster? I don’t know what that word means,” Lillie said.

"It means I was adopted," Jerry said as he works on a Medusae. He finds it hard to deal with all the snakes. "I was adopted by a Japanese family when I was a baby. They say my parents died in a car accident. My aunt was babysitting me but didn't want to take me in so she was going to abandon me. So her neighbor's took me in."

Lillie sits there. "I am sorry."

"Don't be, I am not," Jerry said. “My aunt missed out and that is her problem."

"Ok," Lillie said. "I see why you became a soldier though. It is why I became an Adventurer. Not wanting to be stuck at one place."

"Not my case," Jerry said. "My adopted father ran a practice but when the Covid 19 virus hit the world we lost most of our savings. So I enlisted and became a medic."

As the kid leaves Jerry looks at Lillie. "So you are going to be a PMC? Good money but if you guys want to make it, you need to get your shit together."

"I know," Lillie said. "I just cannot see how we work within your ways. Karther has struggled so much. He is a great man, but very stubborn. My Party doesn't like to be bossed around and they like their freedom.”

“Your version of freedom sounds like anarchy to us,” Jerry said. As he watches her scrub the floor he wonders why she is opening up. It looks like the stress of the situation has gotten to her and she doesn't know what to do. While it sounds like she respects her Party leader Karther, he will never understand why. “Look, Lillie. You seem nice. You guys just need to calm down, do your dues. Get that job, I know PMC’s want Adventurers for their knowledge of the region. Just do what you are told and stop starting fights. We are not the Empire.”

Lillie takes a deep breath. “You're right. Thank you for letting me vent. I will try.”

 

--- Fort Minick Dojo, Fort Minick --- 

 

Delilah is kicking the wooden pillar as of her martial art practice. Despite being in the trimester of pregnancy for her race, shown by a big bump on her belly, she still continues rigorous training and honing her fighting skill and she does that without any strain on her body, unlike most human females. 

“Deli!” Bailey yells angrily. “I told you to stop doing heavy physical exercise. It is not good for you and the twins.”

“Knock it off Bailey,” Delilah spat backs  “And I told you many times! I am a bunny, I don’t get exhausted or having morning sickness like pregnant human women. Leave me alone and go do your thing so I can concentrate on my Muay Thai kicking exercise.”

Bailey rubs his face, annoyed. “Look, I just worry about you! Seeing you keep working and doing strenuous exercise like that with a heavy tummy worries me! I am your husband, I care about you.” 

Delilah stopped her kicking and put her hands around Bailey's shoulder.

“Honey, as much I find your caring for me and our babies sweet and adorable but you must remember, I am a warrior and I am doing this not just for me but for our daughters too. They must learn how to fight even if they are still in my belly. This is why I relent of the fact that I have to take maternity leave now instead of going with you to the battlefield! I want our daughters to be tough warriors but most of all, I want to protect my man and my daughters to protect their father in the future of all time,” Delilah gently and lovingly states.

“Enough! You are my wife and I should be the one actually in charge of protecting you and our daughters. That is what men are for! I don’t want you or our daughters to risk their life for me all the time.That’s right, daddy doesn't want my baby girls to protect him since I will protect you,” Bailey states as he hugs and kisses Delilah’s bumping belly. 

“That is enough with your macho! Do not say that to our babies! Let me do my training or else no dinner or sex for you tonight”, Delilah threatens her husband as she slaps him in the shoulders. 

For a moment Bailey hesitates. “You realize I pay most of the bills right?” 

Delilah glares at him. “You are on the couch tonight.”

In the distance, Grinne and Tyuule seeing the drama between Delilah and Bailey 

“Never thought a human male could be so sweet like that,” Grinne giggles while she lifts some dumbbells.  

“Looks like Captain Bailey tries his best not to be a simp to Delilah, judging by the fact that Delilah has to threat to withhold sex”, Tyuule sarcastically said while she practices Wing Chun on a wooden dummy. 

 

--- 

 

During a warm evening in Alnus Hill, Pina is sitting at a newly established restaurant called Alnus Exo Taste. It was set up by a famous British chef Gordon Ramsay. Apparently, he paid the US government a lot of money to set up a restaurant here. While operating at a loss, the goal of the restaurant is to experiment with new foods and import them to other restaurants on Earth.

While enjoying a beef Wellington dish with some scotch eggs, Pina is reading an article from the Free Alnus News website on a tablet. Independent Journalist Jessica Moore has been reporting engagements with the 101st in the Dumas Mountain Campaign. A major victory against the Dwarves, clearing out a major underground fortress. The removal of this fortress opens up a clear path for the construction of the highway. 

Another engagement led by the French secured a valley north of the Coan Forest. With this valley, NATO will be able to construct a Forward Operating Base (FOB) to strike from. In addition, the insurgency is dying down in Elies as most of the population is starting to accept the Falmart Economic Trade Agreement (FETA) and Falmart Investment Fund (FIF). They had also learned about the fact that Duke Mettius Fla Agonix was supporting the insurgents and plotted the assassination of Ambassador Nater Da Akilu, people had enough. Nater recently gave a speech stating that there must be unity for Elies to rebuild and these reforms will enrich everyone, both nobility, and peasants. According to the article, many of the Counts support Nater becoming the next Duke of the region. 

However, news from both southern fronts seems to be less motivating. The Mealud Valley (between Elbe and Alactris) and the Swestual Arm (South of Elies) have been struggling. The Swestual Arm is very mountainous and the homes of many evil Darklings. Plenty of places to hide and strike. To Pina's confusion, it seems like the Empire refuses to surrender the Mealud Valley. She wonders if the Empire is trying to contest the valley out of pride or some greater plan. 

“Your highness.”

Putting down her tablet, Pina looks up. She sees Marquis O'iloiat Dussie, the son of Senator Gnaeus Dussie. Just like her, he is wearing a high-quality, multicolored nobility robe. He was one of the nobles that were used from Sadera during the purge. “What do you want?”

“To ask questions,” O'iloiat said.

Taking a breath, Pina lets him sit down. “There goes my last quiet night.”

“I was surprised to see you here,” O'iloiat said. “I thought you surrendered our ways.”

“You are so thick headed like Idos, I never gave up who I am,” Pina corrects. “I just grew up. I still enjoy the high life. The nightclothes, nice home, nice food. I miss the royalty lifestyle, I am just not a self-entitled snob about it anymore.”

Pina can see her last statement annoyed O'iloiat. The truth is that she enjoys the noble life, even now. The only difference is that she no longer has elitist viewpoints like slavery or, treating servants as beneath her. 

“Look, I do dream about being back at Sadera,” Pina added. “I dream about sleeping on my bed, wearing my collection of robes. I miss the marble halls it is just, I am willing to give all that up right now to do what is best.”

“That is what I want to talk to you about,” O'iloiat said. “I recently learned you are going to Rondel to help influence them to switch sides. If they leave the Empire it will cripple it forever.”

“I know.”

“How can you be so willing to hand over one of our Jewel cities?” O'iloiat asked. “You claim to be fighting for a new Empire but if you have not noticed they are slicing up the Empire. If you let them annex Rondel there won’t be an Empire for you to go back to.”

“I know,” Pina said. “I am the one that signed away Alnus Hill(5). NATO is going to take what they want regardless of what we want. They are too powerful and can you blame them? If the roles were reversed we would do the same. We started the war, remember.”

“Don’t tell me how the war started, I was in the invasion-”

Pina leans forward, getting into O'iloiat face. “And I was the one who got you out of that damn prison, remember. You have yet to thank me by the way. I don’t like this situation myself but you men left me no choice.”

This arrogance is starting to annoy Pina. Now she knows how Sharpe felt when they first met. “Look, I initially didn’t want the Empire to fall but as long as my brother is the Emperor, and the current backwards ideologies and norms still stand. I have no choice but to demolish the Empire to reborn it into a better one. The Americans need Rondel to counter the Empire’s magic since their own mages are not enough. It is that or they are going to level Rondel to dust from the skies.”

“Maybe that might be for the best,” O'iloiat said. “I understand opposing your brother but at this rate, the Empire will be cut in half.”

O'iloiat has always been an eager boy. Pina remembers him always practicing at the armories. Just like most of the noble boys, practicing swordsmanship was always a requirement. He always wanted to prove to his father and got his chance when the call to invade Earth came.

“O'iloiat, let me ask you this, why are you here?” Pina asked. “What do you want? The impression I got from your father and other Senators is that they no longer know what to do. Why did you come to talk to me?”

The question took O'iloiat off guard. “I have no idea what to do. Part of me wishes I just stayed at Sadera and died. The country I grew up and pledge my allegiance to has changed so much. Coming back from Earth and right now, all I see are women doing men's work. I don’t understand.”

“That was me for a while,” Pina said. She then tells the story of how she went to Alguna, League Principality, and western Elbe. How she traded her crown to a dwarf for a small chance to get direction to the American slaves. Then fought Haryo agents, lost a Knight in combat, nearly got caught in the NATO invasion of Alguna. 

“That is the adventure I thought I was going to get,” O'iloiat said. “But no, I ended up in a prisoner for six months. Freed, but only to find that our war for glory became a joke.” There is a silence as he collects his thoughts. “When I joined the call to invade Earth I thought I would have what you gained but I didn't, and I am angry because of that. It is not fair.”

Hearing ‘not fair’ pissed Pina off but sets aside that emotion. “Look O'iloiat. Since we were kids, you and I always wanted the same thing. I respect and understand how you feel but we both were tricked into going to this war. Our hubris is what caused all this O'iloiat.”

“One way or another the Empire is finished,” Pina said. “I hate to say this because I love the Empire. It is just, my father and my brother have driven the Empire to the brink and its current decadence keeps dragging the Empire down from any better advancement and progress. The Empire needs to install Casel El Tiberius’ principles about Republicanism. We need to end the racial hierarchy in the Empire and stop extreme militarism. If there is a future for the Empire then it must become like the NATO nations.”

"We need industry. We need science and technology. And the truth is that the Empire will collapse when this war ends, regardless of who wins. To end the lingering and prolonged second dark age and bring better prosperity to Falmart we need the Americans. We need NATO here.”

Pina stands up. “That is why I am helping them. I know you asked about territory being lost but that is our fault. The only way to save what is left of the Empire is to end the war and build a new Empire, a Republic."

"Besides O'iloiat," Pina said. "How many mages have died in this pointless war? Let alone how many Imperial sons have died. I just hope I can save as many as I can before it is too late and if I can use Rondel to end the war. We if we don’t sacrifice now, then there's nothing to fight for.”

O'iloiat looks up. “It sounds like you are punishing the Empire a bit. You are talking about sacrifice? We have to sacrifice our crown jewel city for their help?”

“Correct,” Pina said. “My brother taught me the meaning of sacrificing now for a bigger cause, a bigger reasoning.”

That statement confused O'iloiat. “Your brother? Zorzal is a low life and Diabo always played with his scrolls.”

Pina shook her head. “No. I am talking about my brother Krysist. He put everything on the line for hope, for the opportunity to surrender. Then to use that to force the Empire to end the war. I think forty thousand men died for his mission while you and I were playing politics and soul searching. He was willing to sacrifice so much so there can be a future, this is what I have to do then.” She then walks off, leaving O'iloiat to think about her words.

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 2

(2)Chapter 8

(3)Chapter 24

(4)Chapter 187

(5)Chapter 20

 

 

2