V17 – Chapter 207 Arrun Labyrinth
136 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Arrun Labyrinth, south of Crety ---

Date: June 10th, 2026

 

Moving through the forest was easier than expected. The Rangers are used to assaulting fortified bases. The upside of moving through an infected forest is that the chances of running into an Imperial patrol was extremely low, allowing Sharpe to recklessly speed to the ruins. Only a few primary infected forms remained, no larger than groups of five.

They quickly rush inside the ruins as the halls within this temple quickly envelop them in darkness.  If it was not for his VISOR, he and everyone else would be blind. The one thing the VISOR cannot solve is the smell.

In addition to the VISOR worn by the Rangers are the Black Hornet II mini-drone and the M14 Scopedog UGV. Both were sent down the other directions to help scout the labyrinth.

"Christ, this place smells worse than that cave you guys call your rooms," Alicia said.

"It is wise not to speak," Tuka said. "Our voices echo in these chambers."

Up ahead, three of the infected are wobbling. Sharpe ordered with his hands to form up. Pina, Jalin, and Alicia line up their composite crossbows.

The three fire their arrows, punching through the infected skulls. Two of the infected fell dead, but one still stands with an arrow in its head, charging forward. Pina and Jalin pull out their swords and cut the infected down.

Once the area is cleared, Tuka fires a flare arrow down the long hallway which draws a few infected out of their hiding spots. They begin attacking the flare as if drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

"Smart Tuka," Pina said. She organizes everyone with bows and crossbows, and they all fire.

The first volley killed two. As the flare dies, the infected start charging them. Pina ordered another volley, finally killing them.

After taking care of those infected, the group quickly followed Tuka and Ferhad down the next pathway. Tuka’s elf senses and Ferhad’s knowledge of the layout have made moving through the labyrinth quickly. Fast enough that Sharpe feels confident they might get the pear before it is too late.

As they move through the next chamber, Pina approaches Sharpe and whispers, “Maybe we should split up into twos. We can cover more ground.” 

"I considered that but I think we should stick as one group," Sharpe replied.

The answer surprises Pina. "But, Lelei might turn. If we don't hurry, then we might be too late. I know you want to save her; we all do."

The question hurts Sharpe, reminding him that they only have about five hours when they think she will turn. While he never intended it, he treated Lelei like his flesh and blood, much like Selina. He saw the potential in her, and she has proven herself to be a totally indispensable member of the group. He and Sarah have invested so much time and energy into her, and he would hate this is how it ends.

However, he must remind himself that he is a Lieutenant Colonel of the U.S. Army. The rank and the duty behind it come with responsibilities, regardless of what his emotions think. It has been part of the job he has always struggled with. Still, it is Lelei, and he would rather turn than let Lelei's life end like this.

"No," Sharpe whispered. "Being in command is like a double-edged sword, Pina. As a military leader, you must accept there will be casualties. The unit must remain your number one priority along with the mission. You cannot sacrifice the unit for one soldier."

“But it is Lelei,” Pina said. "And everyone will understand that you will do everything you can-."

"I know that damnit," Sharpe said loudly and then trying to keep his emotions in check. "I want to save Lelei more than anyone. She trusts me; she is more like a daughter to me." While he thinks Lelei as a daughter, the only reason he never made it official was because of her young adult age. Turning eighteen soon and an adult by this world's standards, it was easier to accept a guardian-mentor. "The thing is I am in charge, I cannot sacrifice Andrew, Alicia, Tuka, or even you for one person because I have a personal relationship with them. One day you will have to face such a choice; the life of one cannot replace the unit. Mine or your feelings cannot rise above our responsibilities. It is the curse of being in command, the downside of being a leader."

Soredin placed her hand on Pina’s shoulder and whispered, “I have to agree with the Colonel about this matter Princess. Lelei might be my protege, but I cannot risk the life of the rest of the group even if it's just to save her alone. Lelei is important to all of us, however, she is one person and understands the risks. If Bozes or Hamilton were cursed, how many of your Knights are you willing to sacrifice to save one of them? Look Princess, it is breaking his heart having to say that but he has to say it.”

Pina reflected on what they said, taking in the leadership lesson. "I understand. Splitting up only increases the chance of people getting killed. I guess that's why some people see the Empire as this evil thing. My ancestors had to make tough choices to save the many in wars. Choosing who lived and died. Not saying it was good or bad, but I think I understand the context more, sir. The burden of command."

Kaven looked at some moss on the wall. "We are going in the right direction."

"Good because the Black Hornet is a bust," Chapman said.

"Why is that?" Andrew asked.

"See for yourself."

Everyone with a VISOR switches to the mini-drone frequency and sees it being thrashed by dozens of infected. Before the feed cuts, Sharpe sees some strange, prominent figure in the background. “We are not going that way.”

The team then followed the directions of Ferhad, heading down the path with ever-growing moss.

“How do you know this is the path?” Sharpe whispered. “Everything looks the same.”

“As I said before, I have explored these ruins before,” Ferhad said. “I admit I was not expecting us to go this far into the ruins.”

After moving deeper into the labyrinth, Pina, Jalin, Ferhad, and Andrew took out a few more infected along the way. The group hears loud noises coming from a nearby chamber. The team quickly investigates the matter. Up ahead, they see a broken door, barely staying together.

“Tuka, what do you see,” Sharpe asked.

Tuka peeked through a hole, using her VISOR. “By the gods. I see goblins fighting more of those infected. It looks like the infected are winning.”

“That makes no sense,” Ferhad said. “What is going on here? Sometimes goblins come here to make a colony, but they rarely succeed. They are known to hunt in these lands, coming from up north or hiding in all the ancient ruins in this region.”

Alicia chuckled. “Until we put a bullet in their head. It is the one thing I agree with Sofia. There cannot be coexistence with these monsters.”

“I never thought I would agree with the Other Worlders on something,” Ferhad said. “I hope you can. We tried, but they just breed so quickly.”

“I don’t know, but I don’t feel like this is natural,” Sharpe said. “Let’s hurry. Chapman?”

“Hold on, there we go,” Chapman said. “I hate this lag but I think I found it. A large chamber with a giant tree.”

“That’s it,” Kaven said. “We better hurry as-.”

Alicia fired her rifle at an infected who broke through the sidewall. The sound of weapon fire attracted more.

“Funs over, let’s move,” Sharpe ordered. As everyone backs up, a loud roar is heard. This giant bulky male human leaps from the ground level to their hallway. To his shock, a large, sturdy, thick bone skin body and hands are these two large bone spikes. 

Before Sharpe could aim he is forced to duck as the large bone spike slams into the wall. The other arm is raised but the strike is blocked by Pina's ballistic shield - the shield glowing, being reinforced by one of the Soredin spells. 

Soredin then stomps her foot on the ground, creating a rock spike protruding from the ground, impaling the giant infected through its jaw, penetrating its skull and killing it. 

Taking a deep breath, Pina directs everyone as she organizes their retreat. 

"Andrew on me," Sharpe ordered. "Pina, Soredin, and I will cover the rear. Make sure we have a path out of here. I don't want us to get pinned."

As Pina led the unit back the path they came, Sharpe and Andrew provided cover. He then sees a grotesque creature land a few feet from them. At a glance you could tell it was a Neko but unlike normal Nekos, this one has an extra set of arms along with fangs protruding from its cheeks.

Its deranged glaring eyes focused completely on them as its jaw began to open far wider than humanly possible. It begins to hiss as it bares its fangs at the group, getting down on all six ready to pounce.

By the time Sharpe fired, the infected Neko jumped and crawled on the wall towards them at incredible speed. Rory put her arm into a blocking stance, allowing Neko to bite down on it. She sliced the Neko with her Halberd cutting the head in half. She grabs Sharpe's arm and pulls him back.

When the unit got back to where they started, a long tongue shot out of the hall, grabbed Andrew, and pulled him back into the hallway. Sharpe, Chapman, and Ferhad all grab him as they try to pull him back. Pina cuts the tongue, freeing Andrew as Rory bashed the walls with her strength. The hallway crumbles and then collapses on itself. On the other side of the rubble, they can hear the infected screeching.

"That won't hold them forever," Rory said. 

“Jesus! What the hell was that?” Andrew exclaimed. 

"I cannot believe this," Ferhad said. "I dealt with Neko's before. How did it grow arms?"

“That is a Neko? That’s like some exorcist type of shit!” Alicia responded, baffled by what she witnessed. “Don’t tell Scott when we get back, he will flip out.”

"Quiet everyone," Tuka said as she listened. "They are digging."

"What?" Alicia shockingly said. "They are dead; how can they do these things? Where’s Lelei to explain shit."

Sharpe hates to agree with Alicia; he misses being there to explain everything. "Chapman, give Tuka your NAV data. Tuka gets us to that chamber. At this point, weapons-free."

 

 

--- Crety ---

 

As Sharpe leads the joint team to recover the Rokude Pear, Selina finishes collecting all the towels, bandages, remaining herbs, and other materials Specialist Jerry William needed. "Here you go."

"Thank you, kid," Jerry said as he replaced Lelei's leg bandage. "I see working at the temple has paid off. Now, put two of those in cold water."

As Selina followed his instructions, giving him a cold cloth.

Selina watched Jerry switch out the clothes on Lelei's forehead. There are IVs connected to the Lelei arm. Ice packs around the body, all trying to keep Lelei's fever down. Because of the high fever and the spreading of the infection, Jerry had to strip Lelei into her underwear to keep an eye on the infection and cool her off. "Is there anything else I could do? I don't want to lose a sister."

"I don't know, Princess; I am only a medic," Jerry said. According to Soredin's notes he then continues crunching the herbs that the Rangers had gathered around the town.

Selina grabbed her Polaris necklace her father got her, looking for a form of comfort. With Lelei getting sicker, this sparks a memory of her little brother being murdered. The last thing she wants is another sibling to be killed.

Selina watched Lelei get fed the herb drink Jerry made based on Soredin's Wiccan herbal medicine formula, which impressed her. Just like her, he has been helping at Karlin temple and wonders if he learned these skills there. "Do you think that will help?"

“I don’t know,” Jerry said. “I need to keep her immunity up and keep her body healthy. I put some of our vitamins and mixed them with what you gathered. It might slow the virus down long enough for your father to get her, but I don’t know. Everything I know about viruses is proven to be useless. The key is just buying as much time as we can. Every second counts.”

Hearing that, Selina took a deep breath. “Maybe I could use my healing magic?”

Jerry looked at Selina. “Can you? I thought you have not been able to since saving your pet? By the way, how did you do it the first time?”

Since discovering that she can use Healing Magic she has failed to reactivate it. Lelei, Soredin and Karlin have been trying to coach her but she failed to activate it. Lelei said a training expert in Rondel is needed so she can activate her healing magic again. Soredin proposed pushing her into a deep emotional distress to trigger that event again, which her father rejected.

"The elf boy Alieon wanted to show us around," Selina said. "He took us to the Coan Village ruins. I found the Griffin baby there, but we ran into a Giant Spider, and it almost killed the Griffin. I was distraught, and suddenly my hands were glowing, and I was healing them. It just happened." She then looked at Jerry. "Please don't tell daddy about the Spider."

Jerry looked at Selina, surprised. "No wonder your dad is overprotective. You Girls are always causing trouble and getting into danger."

Lelei coughed as she struggled to giggle. "It is ok because we are girls and cute, so we can get away with stuff like that. That is what Rory would say anyway."

"Lelei!" Selina got up and rushed over to the bed. "Are you ok? Feeling better? Do you need more water or a book to read? I started reading a book called The Little Engine That Could. It is about trains trying to go up a mountain, but they failed. But, one train was able to go up the hill. The reason was that the other trains were telling themselves they would try while the one who did kept telling himself that he knew he would. Just like daddy. Daddy always said mind-over-matter is important, and I am sorry, Lelei, because when I was trying to heal you, I was telling myself that I was trying, so I was not putting in as much work as I could, unlike daddy and-." She had to stop her rumbling before she started to cry again.

Lelei giggled. "You always ramble, Selina."

Lelei laughed but then struggled in pain. Jerry removes the cover of her bitten leg to change the bandages. He freezes for a moment as he sees her left leg turning black and blue as the virus spreads. The infection has passed the tourniquet.

Seeing Lelei's leg, Selina cried. She moves to her leg and holds her hands towards Lelei's leg. Feeling extremely emotional that her big sister is like this, her hands glow gold color.

"Oh my god, you are doing it," Jerry said. "Just keep it up. Do it because you want to save her. Every second we can hold this virus back, it gives time for the team to get back here."

Throughout Selina's body, she felt a great strain. Her mind begins to fog, her body sweats, her arms start to shake, and she begins to breathe heavily. She has no idea what she is doing and how, but her sheer will to save Lelei is the only thing she is focused on.

Jerry wiped the sweat off Selina but heard a loud noise outside. "I will go check that out. Yao, keep an eye on both of them. I will be right back."

 

---

 

Thanks to the UGV Spotdog and Ferhad knowledge of the ruins the team finally found the Rokude Chamber with a big skylight above.

“We finally made it,” Rory said, taking guts off her Halberd. “Once we get to Rondel I am taking a long bath.”

“Wow, look at this place,” Tuka said, lowering her composite bow.

Sharpe looked and saw this large chamber with a giant tree in the middle.

“I have never been in this chamber,” Ferhad said. “Normally we never needed to go this deep. I am surprised how few Rokude trees there are in the ruins this season. It is like someone came through here and cleansed them.”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Sharpe asked. “Someone did come through here and cleansed this place. Someone destroyed your crops; someone killed your villagers. You were pointing out how many infections that we're here were abnormal. The goblins and most importantly, all the infected there were. This has to be enemy action.”

“I have to agree with the Lieutenant Colonel here,” Soredin said. “Based on my conversations with Lelei the only people who could do this are Darlko or Rondel. I doubt Rondel would do this. Maybe rogues but I bet Darlko is responsible.”

“Darlko was here? Impossible,” Kaven said, shocked. More he thought about it the more it made sense. “They are the only other city that could do this but Darlko is very far and the Empire would never allow them through the Empire”

“The Empire recently employed Darlko into their ranks,” Rory said. “We fought Lord Valker at one of his facilities. It makes sense that they are trying to undermine Rondel, but I doubt spreading a few infected is their end game.”

Soredin looked around, glaring. “Rory is correct. Darlko mages were here.”

“How can you tell?” Sharpe asked.

“I know Witchcraft when I see it, Jackson,” Soredin replied. “They were here. And look over there.”

Sharpe noticed a pile of bloody clothes, all laying on the ground, hundreds of them. All nearby a strange shaped hole in the ground. He walked over and could tell something was laying here, something heavy. Tree roots are scattered all around this spot. “Alright, everyone lets search. We are on the clock.”

“Colonel. That thing you saw from the drone before, I sense it moving somewhere over there,” Soredin points at the direction of the wall.

Taking a quick look his VISOR doesn't pick up anything. While the VISOR has no radar, the IFF computer would point out anything if the NW computer sees anything. 

That is when Sharpe sees Andrew and Pina ready their weapons, hearing something. Then he hears this hissing sound. His IFF points to the upper right and he sees this massive snake come out of the wall towards them. 

This large Snake charged down, scattering everyone. Weapons fire begins as the large snake looks around. This must be the Basilisk Ferhad was talking about.

Soredin was correct, while this could have just been a sleeping beast that heard them coming, there have been too many events for Sharpe not to assume this is enemy action. With the new threat he must remember why they are there in the first place. “Ferhad, Kaven, we will take care of this thing, now get the fruit now!”

As the two rush to the tree, Rory jumps towards the Basilisk. However, the Basilisk’s tail slammed Rory to the ground.

Tuka and Soredin cast several big fireballs, hitting the Basilisk. While burnt, all it did was piss it off. In return the Basilisk splits out a green colored corrosive acid, which eats up a root in mere seconds.

The Basilisk moves around as weapons fire from all sides. The beast aims for Alicia but Rory gets in the way, blocking with her Halberd. 

Pina and Jalin flank the Basilisk, slashing at the sides but its highly elastic and durable skin  made it extremely difficult to cut through.

“Everyone else, flank both sides,” Sharpe said. “Try to give it something else to think about. Tuka aims for the eyes. Soredin, try hammering it down. Don’t give it a chance to spit  its acid at you.”

Tuka quickly fired an enchanted arrow, hitting the Basilisk in its eyes. With a loud roar, the Basilisk disengaged with Rory. 

As the battle continued, watching the Basilisk move around the chamber and causing a lot of damage. Usually Sharpe would order his team to take the Basilisk out with a rocket launcher or grenade launcher; however, he is scared that it will collapse the chamber on everyone. 

“Everyone lure that beast toward me so I can transmute the rock foundation underneath this ground into a field of rock spikes to kill it,” Soredin stated.

Seeing what Soredin is talking about, Sharpe points to Rory. Not needing to explain his order, Rory understood what he wanted her to do, to lure the Basilisk into a trap.

Soredin tried to deal a fatal blow to the Basilisk by slamming her hands into the ground - turning the ground into a small field of rock spikes, all protruding from the ground towards the Basilisk. However, much to her shock, the rock spikes failed to pierce the beast's skin, only ripping the outer layer. As the beast lunges at Soredin, she turns herself into smoke to escape the charge. 

“Colonel, the skin of this creature is like a thick kevlar”, Soredin states 

“I noticed.” Sharpe analyzes what Soredin states and realizes that the new 6.8mm seems to be punching through the Basilisk thick and elastic skin; however, the sheer size and kevlar-like skin of the beast make most of the attacks seem worthless unless they hit a vital area like the head. That is when he gets an idea. “Ferhad, Basilisks see using heat  like snakes right?”

“Yes, they have Pit Organ near their nostrils to sense heat for detecting prey,” Ferhad said over the radio headset he was given for this mission. 

“I have an idea but I'd like you to cause the whole place to go completely dark,” Sharpe quickly ordered Soredin. “Everyone else, be ready to strike. Rory, at three o'clock and be ready.”

Soredin casted her dark shroud spell, causing a shroud of darkness to engulf the whole chamber and cover the skylight. The chamber gets ridiculously dark.

Sharpe lifted his VISOR so he could only see the pure darkness. He grabbed the flare on his vest and held it up after lightening it up. While the VISOR is able to filter out the brightness of a flare, it is too close for it to work properly.

The flare being the only light in the chamber, Sharpe saw the tall Basilisk looking down at him. Part of the Basilisk is in pure darkness, only parts of it being lightened up by the flare. 

Noticing that he got the Basilisk's attention, Sharpe moved the flare side to side. The Basilisk followed the flare. “Come on you son of a bitch. That is right.”

The Basilisk dives at him. Before it is too late, Rory with her increased speed tackled Sharpe away as the Basilisk rammed its head into the ground.

“Thanks Rory,” Sharpe said then got on his radio. “Everyone, close your eyes. Soredin, solar flare! Now!” Rory gets on Sharpe, using her body to protect him from the blinding spell.

The Basilisk lifts up angry. A bright light blankets the chamber, blinding the Basilisk and anyone who didn’t cover their eyes quick enough. 

Rory made sure Sharpe is ok and smiled seeing he is. “I hope your out of the box plan works.”

“Sheer will Rory,” Sharpe replied as he watched the developing situation.

As planned, Sharpe watched Tuka run up the back of the blinded Basilisk along with Soredin, who created several floating rock pillars to act as stairs, enabling them to get to the top of the Basilisk. As Tuka reached the top, she shot two arrows into the Basilisk head, and Soredin did the same using two conjured big ice spikes.

As Tuka and Soredin descend down using the same floating rock stair. Pina ordered Jalin, Ferhad, and Andrew to push one of the pillars over, landing on the mid section of the Basilisk which semi-trapped it. 

“Rory.” Sharpe said.

Rory smirked and gripped her Helbert tightly. Then bursted from her position and sliced the Basilisk, causing major damage.

“Nice job with the pillar Pina.” Sharpe then ordered everyone to scatter.

The Rangers open fire, aiming for the head. The Basilisk waves its head around but the Basilisk tail swinged around but struggled to move because of that pillar. However, the skin is still too tough for the small arms to punch through to deliver the kill. Sharpe stands there wondering how to kill this thing.

Chapman then rushed up. “Colonel, I have an idea but I need Rory.”

“Spit it out Specialist, time is a factor,” Sharpe ordered.

“I strapped five fragmentation grenades together with a string looped along the pin,” Chapman said. “If Rory can get it into its mouth and pull the string it should shred the bastard insides.”

Seeing the value in the plan Sharpe called Rory over. At first he wondered why not use C4 but then realized the amount of magic that’s been used by Soredin and Tuka could interfere with the trigger signal. 

Rory quickly rushed to Sharpe. “I hope you have a plan otherwise we will be buried. That thing is hitting everything.”

“Chapman’s idea,” Sharpe said. “I will be a distraction. Take Chapman’s grenade belt and get it inside its mouth.”

Rory looked at the bomb and then at the Basilisk. “I see. You want me to pull a Hellboy like when he made the Orgu Hem swallow the whole belt of grenades. Got it. If you cannot kill it from the outside, kill it from the inside out” She takes the makeshift bomb and flanks the Basilisk.

“Soredin, distract the bastard so Rory can get up there,” Sharpe ordered.

“Got it,” Soredin replied.

Sharpe and Chapman rush. Once they get close they begin firing at the Basilisk. “Chapman, once the Basilisk comes at us, you go right and run.”

As planned, the Basilisk looked at them because of the sniper fire. Sharpe can see the blood and busted eye. Even with all that damage it still wants to fight. 

The Basilisk charged at them. Sharpe jumped away, getting the ground hard. Looking over he saw Chapman got out of the way with debris over him. He then looks up and sees Tuka fire an arrow at the side of the Basilisk.

Soredin levitates two pieces of debris. Using the debris she rams it into the Basilisk with great force, limiting its movement until the beast starts to struggle to move. 

Once the Basilisk was secured Rory jumped on the side of it, grabbing onto the debris. The Basilisk swings around, trying to get her off but Soredin intensifies the debris to squeeze the beast even more, enabling Rory to maintain balance. She rammed her Halberd with all her might into the Basilisk's neck and swung closer to the mouth, forcing the grenade bomb into its mouth - then jumped down. 

The Basilisk looked around as a small explosion occurred within its body causing fragments to penetrate through the internal organs of the beast. The Basilisk hits the ground a moment later, shaking the room with blood showering out of its mouth.

“We make a great team, right Rory”, Soredin stated as she raises a fist toward Rory.

“Yes, we are.” Rory fist pumped Soredin.

Taking a deep but relaxing breath, Sharpe is glad that it is over. He looked around to make sure no one is dead. Getting a headcount, Sharpe looked over at the healer and Adventurer. “Please, god, tell me you found it?”

Jalla jumped down. “That was the most epic battle I have ever seen. Damn, no wonder we are outdated.”

“To answer your question, yes, we found a pear,” Karven said. “It was not easy. It was like someone came in and cut all the pears away. We found one very high up the tree.”

“I am ok,” Chapman said as Andrew helped him up. 

“Alright, lets…,” Sharpe stopped as he saw Ferhad's reaction. He turned around and saw the Basilisk getting up. It lets out a loud roar, blood spraying everywhere. 

The next thing Sharpe and everyone else saw was Soredin step up and throw a rock pillar at the beast's mouth, digging deep into its throat; the pillar then exploded, creating sharp debris to pierce the throat and the mouth of the beast, killing it for good.

“I think it is dead now,” Soredin said.

Jalin walked up and pushed his sword deep inside the Basilisk skull through one of the holes. "Just to be sure."

Hearing his team cheer, getting the fruit and killing the Basilisk, Sharpe checked his phone and noticed the time. “We better hurry back.”

As everyone began to go back to the entrance, Sharpe noticed Soredin looking around the chamber. 

“Where are you going?” Sharpe asked. “We are on a timetable.”

“I sense something,” Soredin said. “I don’t know how to put it into words. Just, something evil was here.”

Checking his phone and seeing that they only have seventy-three minutes left. “I don’t care, we have to go now. If there is something evil best not to be here. We will deal with it later.” With that, they both leave the chamber.

 

*** 

--- Crety --- 

Date: June 11th, 2026

 

Sharpe is in one of the town's empty cabins. Besides the portable light both him and Selina are leaning on a simple bed. Selina is sleeping in bed with him, not wanting to be alone and after yesterday he had no interest in anything happening to his daughter.

While Selina slept, tuckered out from using her magic to keep Lelei from turning as long as she could, she has been passed out for the past six hours. Sharpe just laid there, staring at the ceiling portable light his team installed as she snuggled up in his arm. While alone he has been talking with his wife Sarah with a sketchy connection over the phone. 

Once everyone got outside the ruins a MH-47G special forces Chinook landed. Apparently, the Green Berets arrived in Crety as promised. They set up defenses for the town and began anti-infected operations to clear out the forest. 

Once they learned of Lelei's situation and how Sharpe led a team to get the Rokude Pear they sent the Chinook with a team to assist. With their help they were able to take Karven and Soredin back to Crety saving an hour of time. 

Now, everyone is waiting to see if the Rokude potion did the trick. It is early in the morning and he is waiting for Lelei to wake up. His body is exhausted, however his mind is wide awake. 

“It sounds like a crazy adventure,” Sarah said. “I am glad you are all ok though.”

“I will say this Sarah, I was not expecting this mission to be this insane,” Sharpe said. “I knew it would be rough but mainly dodging Imperialist positions and politics. Not facing zombies, corrupted infections, assassins, and Lelei getting bitten.”

“But it is ok,” Sarah said. “I believe Lelei will be fine.”

“What makes you think that?” 

“Because you are on the phone talking to me,” Sarah replied. “If you thought she was going to turn, you would be busy finding the person responsible for this mess or doing something. Now, please talk to me. I can feel the stress in your voice.”

While not an emotional man, Sarah has learned to pick up the sign from Sharpe. “As I said, I was just not ready for this. It has only been a week and all this just got thrown at us.” Reflecting back on the past few days he takes a deep breath. “I never should have taken Selina or Lelei along. I should have figured something else out.”

“Knock it off Jackson,” Sarah said. “You cannot predict the future and I don’t care what that gypsy soothsayer Esmerelda said with her clairvoyance and tarot cards at the wedding. We have a dangerous job. But you know why everyone allowed this mission to even happen. When the shit hits the fan you exel. It is one of the reasons why I married you. Lelei was probably scared but I bet she always held out hope that you would find a way to cure her. Besides, you and the whole team just proved that Esmerelda’s terrible prediction has not come through.” 

Sharpe understood what Sarah is doing, trying to cheer him up. “Thank you Sarah. But we all did it, not just me.”

“You all did it because you were there,” Sarah said. “Strong leader creates strong men and women. Trust me, I know it is tough right now but you got this. Trust me Jackson. This isn’t early in the war anymore. Everyone trusts you so just remember to trust yourself.”

Hearing a knock on the door, Sharpe carefully got up. “Got to go Sarah, someone at the door. And love yeah.”

“Ahh, got you to say the L word tough guy,” Sarah said with a giggle. “Love, yeah. And do not let anything happen to them next time. Also, don’t forget the milk on the way home.”

“What? I was not listening?” He smirked and hung up. He then opens the door and sees Rory.

“Lelei is awake,” Rory said. She then grabbed him.

“Hold up, Selina will want to be there,” Sharpe said. He walks over and picks Selina up and carries her out. To his surprise Rory grabs his belt and pulls him along, not wanting to waste time.

When they finally get to the cabin where Lelei has been at, Sharpe sees Jerry standing there talking to the healer Kaven and Soredin. 

"I am impressed with your people's potions," Kaven said.

"Well, they didn't save Lelei," Jerry said. "Your understanding of these infections did the trick." He then looks at Sharpe. "Colonel, it looks like Lelei will make a full recovery. A lot of credit goes to Selina there, with her healing magic."

Hearing her name, Selina wakes up and rubs her eyes. "It was hard."

"But you did good Princess," Sharpe said. "Lelei is alive."

Hearing that Selina busted out of Sharpe arms and rushed into the building. Finding it humorous he shakes his head and then looks at Jerry. "Good job Doc."

"Just doing my job sir."

Sharpe pated Jerry and headed inside. Lelei is lying in bed. Once she saw him she held the blanket tight so as not to reveal herself. Selina sitting on the bed rambling how she used her magic to save her, taking most of the credit. "It is ok kid."

"I am sorry for the trouble," Lelei said weakly. "Soredin told me what happened. Thank you for risking your lives like that."

"Lelei is very weak," Jerry said. "It will take a few days for her to gain her strength back."

"Then we leave in the morning," Sharpe said. "Hate to say it but we have to get to Rondel." While they are on a timetable the truth is he wants to get as far away from this area as possible. He doesn't know if this was just enemy action or action against Lelei. While a leap, Darlko mages on top of the assassination attempt at Valtris has him on edge.

"I was never worried, you always come through in the end," Lelei said. 

Sharpe nods. "Truth is if anything happened to you Sarah would kill me." After a laugh he continued, "get some rest."

As Sharpe left, he stopped and leaned in. "By the way Lelei, when we get home you are grounded. Rory is supposed to be the pain in the ass, not you."

Rory points and laughs. "Yeah Lelei… wait a minute. Hey!"

 

***

--- Arrun Labyrinth, south of Crety ---

Date: June 1st, 2026 (10 days ago)

 

"What a wonderful place." Kagash looked around the Rokude chamber. Everything has a shade of green from her green fire spell, brightening up the chamber so they can see.

To her amazement, the chamber is full of vegetation. Large tree roots coming out of the ground and walls with strange-looking plants growing unchecked. "It always amazes me how a place full of death has so much life. The only thing I hate is the smell."

Hearing her husband spoke, Kagash then looked at him, a tall and muscular giant of a man. Galrik just finished crushing the skull of a minotaur that was living here. Unlike the humanoid version of the minotaur race, this one is the stronger gigantic but dumb one. The Empire enjoyed releasing these massive beasts in their first wave attacks, creating as much chaos as possible. From what she understands, three were used during the NATO assault on Legrath, but they were quickly killed before inflicting any damage(1). 

For most warriors, fighting one of these giant beasts would be terrifying. Kagash’s husband, though, is a warrior at heart. He was willing to sacrifice himself to save her by making a deal with Hardy. Turning into a Warlock and getting cursed, with a curse that makes him only able to speak an ancient dead language, he summoned the strength to save her from her family. The minotaur was barely a threat to her husband, just like all the other monsters in their path.

"Did you enjoy your fun, my love?" Kagash watched as her husband pulled his fist out of the minotaur's skill, wrapped by a dark spell. Her husband spoke in the dead language, and she laughed. "Boys. Always has to be violent. So cute." She then hears groaning from goblins who turn this place into their home. She assumes they can smell her scent. "Honey, mind taking care of them for me? Your flower has work to do."

As Galrik began slaughtering the goblins, Kagash looks through the chamber. "These halls hold so much history I could spend a year here studying. This was once the capital of the Arrun Kingdom around five hundred years ago when Sadera was just a City-State."

Placing her hand on a stone pillar, feeling the roughness of it. "Both cities considered themselves rivals as they competed for influence in this region. At this point, Sadera has been waging war against all the hordes and bandits for decades. Seeing this expansion, Arrun realized their domain is coming under threat."

"Fearing that Rondel and Bellnahgo would side with Sadera, Arrun tried to annex them before it was too late. The war lasted for three years; however, they couldn't fight against Sadera’s military might and Rondel magic."

Kagash then looked at the large Rokude tree. The pears that grow from this tree have unique properties that Rondel sages use in potions and other medicines. It is also one of the few weaknesses against Darlko and her plans with Rondel.

For the past two weeks, Kagash sent her husband to all of the nearby villages to destroy Rokude farms along with  all of their Rokude trees and herbs. Then collect as many villagers as he could and bring them here.

Hearing Galrik speak, Kagash looked over to the left and saw what they came for. "Ahh. I honestly did not believe it, but Lord Valker was correct."

"Knowing the war was lost, Arrun turned to Dark Magic," Kagash said. "The historical sages do not know what happened after this point; many consider Arrun’s fall as one of Falmart’s great mysteries. Once Sadera’s armies arrived here, they found the city engulfed in flames with its residents attacking each other. That is where the curse name came from."

"But Lord Valker was correct. He theorized that the people of Arrun discovered something. A corpse. They brought it back here to weaponize it, to defeat Sadera and Rondel."

Galrik spoke again, and Kagash laughed. "My love, you never enjoyed history. The Gate is a source of life or death, depending on what comes through. Many think the Gate is bringing a new form of death right now, while others like Rory believe it is life."

Kagash walked over, stepping over some roots. "Throughout history, Humans were never considered to be worthy of note. From what I understand, we were just considered one of many races, barely above the Cat-People and Succubus. We were just considered people who were good with tools and bred a lot like goblins. What an insult."

"But then, two thousand years ago, the Gate suddenly opened. What once brought life, giving Falmart much diversity, brought what most considered the end times. A Demon army marched through and brought down the Age of Elves and Dwarves and threatened all life on Falmart."

"But when it looked like there was no hope, with the greatest armies and civilizations on the verge of defeat by these demons Humanity found their calling. A General called Kaeso Sura rallied Falmart and defeated the Demon Army once and for all.”

“While the Golden Age of Elves and Dwarves ended, that war became a calling for Mankind. Never again would we be considered among the weak but along with the rest of the elite races. This new found greatness, this new calling for our people is what led us to become the dominant rules of Falmart today. All because of this one event in history. One moment was all Mankind needed.”

Kagash stopped and looked at her prize, a Demon corpse that's lying there. The beast is massive, with dark skin, claws, large teeth, thick muscles, and more. She now sees why so many feared them—a goliath of a beast. Besides the large hole in the middle of the Demon, the body shows no sign of decay to her shock.

Legend said that the Arrun Kingdom tried to use a Demon corpse. However, something went wrong, and the infected destroyed the city from within. But no one knows what really happened. Seeing this only proves the stories to Kagash.

"That must be how the tree can survive down here," Kagash said. "It must have been feeding off the corpse. Even in its death, the corpse seems to possess regenerative abilities, so while being fed off, it remains intact. Amazing how something so evil can provide life. I wonder if this is how and why the fruit possess such special properties."

"Now, my love, please bring the villagers here." As her husband brought one villager  to her, she prepared her necromancy spells. With a smirk, she said, "before we send the body to Darlko, we have work to do."

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

Discord: https://discord.gg/xe7nNHS

(1)Chapter 108

 

3