V19 – Chapter 223 Down Time
156 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“With the investigation on the incident in Rondel, the North Atlantic Council has agreed that people responsible for the destruction should be tried in the court of law. It was also agreed upon that many International rights and norms should apply to Uros. Empress Piña Co Lada and King Duran Fla Elbe have already agreed for the creation of a legal framework system for which the alliance can work together on. 

The US Congress quickly provided legal funding to establish a federal court in the new territory of Alcatris. The location will be left to a competition between the many towns, however, Italica, Valtris, or Naiktai seem to be the most likely choice. The purpose of this court is to bring war crimes trials against the parties who were responsible for the summoning of the Demon Balrog, which includes the Guild leaderships, Darlko conspirators, and League leaderships who committed war crimes. 

A reporter from Timcast News asked why Alnus was not considered as a location for the courthouse, Press Secretary Bob Hager stated that currently Alnus Hill is overmilitarized and the Federal Government has the local population to see the military and the government as separate entities. The long-term goal with Alcatris is to merge the territory with Alnus, making it into a state within the Union. This will be an important part to help establish civic identity and institution power in the other cities. 

While a location is being determined, the Congress and White House have stated that they want trials to begin as soon as possible, starting with the Rondel Mage Guildmaster, Drasho Getro. He has confessed to being a key player that led up to the events of the Rondel Crisis. There is no comment on who will go to trial next, but many are speculating Duke Aulus Fastidius as the most likely individual, due to the fact that he led a coup against the government and was allying with Darlko.” - Free Alnus News

*** 

--- Delilah's apartment, Alnus Community --- 

Date: July 5th, 2026

 

"This place is not big enough anymore."

Looking around the studio bedroom, Delilah is baffled by the lack of space. Living here, she always puzzled how Humans considered a studio, nine hundred square feet small on average. The Bunny huts could have been half the size with triple the number of people, which was expected. Now, with only two babies, she realized she needed a larger home.

Hearing her queen laugh, Delilah glared," what are you laughing at?"

"Nothing," Tyuule answered as she held Dorra in her arms. "The reason why this place feels so crowded is because of all the stuff you two have."

Acknowledging that truth, seeing all the furniture and storage units, she now saw how quickly a compact home can become. Most of these goods would never exist in a hunt, seeing it as a waste of space. Yes, there was storage for food and clothing, but they were always stored in separate huts.

"I do not know if  Dorra and Donna should be raised like this," Delilah commented. "Sure, the Terrans have warrior and hunting traditions in the modern age; I am still afraid for my twin daughters to lose their bunny warrior heritage and spirit."

"I think it will be fine," Tyuule said as she combed Dorra fur. "I have been spending time with Ambassador Wellington on how a new bunny nation would function. There are many elements of our old ways of life I had to reconsider."

"Like kidnapping men for breeding purposes?" Delilah said with a chuckle.

"That is one," Tyuule said. "At Apex, I hear soldiers joke about what would happen if they were taken by one of our clans. They have no idea and never will know."

"If you're going to build a brand-new Bunny kingdom, there will be some who will wish to go back to the old ways," Delilah pointed out. "It could lead to a civil war."

"Possibly," Tyuule said. "Which is why I must do this right, just like Pina. I will have no choice but to strike down those who wish to go back to our old ways. The old ways only lead to our people's destruction, and I cannot allow that to happen again. While I don't agree with everything I have learned from Earth, it is clearly better and guarantees a future for our people."

"But that is a conversation for another day," Tyuule said. "Where is Bailey? I thought it was an Earth custom for the father to witness the birth?"

"I don't know if it is an Earth custom, maybe an American one though," Delilah said. She was displeased when her husband was deployed to retake Marais when she went into labor but believed that he would have been back before she gave birth. With the news on what was happening in Rondel and the full deployment of the entire Vanguard program to assist Vanguard-7. The suddenness of the situation and the news of a massive Demon scared her more than when she was fleeing from being a slave. "But I guess he was needed elsewhere. Really wish he was there, though, so he could hold our twins as they are born."

Rubbing tears from her cheek, Delilah watched as her long-time friend gave her a hug. "Thank you. I needed that. I guess this is what that military-wives term means. I cannot wait to get back out there and help end the war."

"Just be happy that the battle is over," Tyuule said. "He is probably safe and thinking about you and your daughters."

Dorra cries in Tyuule's arms after she says her words 

"She's hungry again," Tyuule handed over Dorra to Delilah so she could be breastfed.

"Drink up and grow strong, my two little warriors! Someday, both of you will be strong enough to carry on the warrior spirit of our people, just like your mother and father", Deliah said lovingly and kissed her twin daughters, who were still nibbling her breasts. 

"Let's hope Bailey does not make your daughters soft," Tyuule chuckled. "He is quite overprotective of them, and daughters often take after their father."

"Do not worry, He won't, and besides, we are bunnies. Surely, my daughters will take after me!" Deliah firmly said.

*** 

 

--- Crossworld Market Plaza, Philadelphia, United States --- 

Date: July 9nd, 2026 

 

Walking through the streets of Philadelphia for the first time in Andrew's life, he now preferred to carry his military backpack. Carrying four bags of clothes, manga, food, and more, the annoyance of having everything is wearing out his arms.

Even though the Battle of Rondel, or as the media call it, Rondel Crisis, has ended, Vanguard-7 was still required to stay there for another week to help maintain the peace. At least until proper replacements from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, and 1st Armored Division from Elies were redeployed to Rondel arrived. It took a week for the first battalion to arrive, pushing through the infected horde. With the Italian 23rd infantry battalion, the American 2nd Brigade,  and the single lane airfield was established. 

Finally getting a leave and a pass to Earth, all he wanted to do was lay in bed, play games, catch up on manga, and spend time together with his wife. He did not expect more laborious work of shopping which he found more tiring than the battle itself. At least he is happy to be spending time with his wife.

"We really need to introduce you guys to Amazon."

"I am still confused by that," Hamilton commented. "That is a place in that invisible world you call the Internet. You have both an Amazon Forest and Amazon women there on that Internet?"

Chuckling, Andrew has always loved how innocent his wife is. When they first met at Italica and stayed with the team that night, her personality was the first thing he noticed. No matter how strained a situation becomes, her genuine personality never fades.

"No, they are all different."

"You say that…." Hamilton replied as she stopped, looking through a window of the baby shop, the Nesting House. She then bounced, pointing. "Those are so cute! Our baby needs to have some of those" 

Looking toward the window, Andrew saw baby clothes. Looking more profound in the store, he saw rows and rows of all kinds of baby items. "Ouch."

"’Ouch’? Are you ok?" Hamilton asked, concerned. "Where do you hurt?"

"Yup… my wallet," Andrew replied.

"Oh, that is not a problem," Hamilton said. "Since you're gonna spend it on our daughter, not gambling."

As his wife grabbed his arm, he was pulled into the store. Hanilton then makes him spend tons of money to buy clothes, toys and other accessories for their upcoming baby daughter by constantly and firmly reminding him of the duty of the father.

“Deliah and Sarah’s words from the wedding really strengthen you up for your role as a mother,” Andrew stated

“So, husband! Have you thought of the name of our daughter?” Hamilton asked. “I need you to tell me what the name is going to be.”

Confused, Andrew responded, “I thought girls loved to come up with baby names. I don’t know, never thought about it.” Stating that last part he saw it angered his wife.

“I don’t care about your world rules,” Hamilton said. “I want to be your wife; you need to pick a name. It is the husband's responsibility.”

Feeling the pressure, he nearly forgot how conservative her lifestyle is from her people's culture. There are times it goes too far, especially in public, making him look like a prick. However, and more importantly, it makes her happy. She has a servant heart, and it is what he loves about her, so he will do whatever he can to live up to all her expectations.

That is when a name appeared in his head. “What about Hana Steele?”

Confused, Hamilton asked, “why that name? Is that a girl's name?”

“I cannot think of a guy name right this moment but if it is a girl, I like to name it after my sister,” Andrew replied.

Confused again, Hamilton leaned into her husband. “I did not know you had a sister.”

Taking a deep breath, Andrew never enjoyed thinking about his sister Hana. “I don’t like talking about her. When I lived in California, it became infested with crime and corruption. She ended up killed on her way home by a stray bullet from a drive-by shooting between two criminal gangs, they were fighting for territories near her workplace. She was not a target, just in the wrong place and wrong time.”

Tears filled Hamilton's eyes as she tackled him, hugging him tight. “I love the name. I agree, you can name our child Hana.”

Thrilled that his idea pleased her, Andrew patted her on the back. “So, is that everything for our Hana?”

“Not everything! Me and Hana want cheesecake and smoothie,” Hamilton stated her pregnant craving. 

“You are craving again aren’t you,” Andrew stated. 

--- Room 304, Midway Bridge Hotel --- 

 

Leaning against the bed frame, Alicia took a long drink of the expensive wine that she bought downstairs. Between her fingers is one of the hundreds of poker chips she had won against her teammates during a game. Thanks to the efforts of Vanguard-7 and the Rose Knights during what the media is calling the 'Crisis of Rondel,' Colonel Yang gave both units a two-week leave pass. 

Which was okay with Specialist Alicia Moore. After so much intense fighting, a break is what everyone needs. One she thoroughly planned to exploit.

Earlier in the evening, members of both teams agreed to play poker. With some help, she crushed a few of her teammates, more importantly, crushed Knight Jalin Tu Fendro. The goal, to rob the man of all his military pay for a private confrontation. To see if he would fight for what belongs to him or lick his wounds.

Hearing a loud banging against the door, Alicia already knew who it was, thanks to the Rose Knight Ginebra texting her. "Grow up, Jalin; I won fair and square."

"You can either let me in and give my money back, or I will come in and take it," Jalin shouted. "I know you cheated!"

With a laugh, Alicia responded, "I never cheat. Unless it benefits me." She knew that last part would anger him.

After a loud bang against the door, Jalin yelled, "I have a key, you know!"

"How? This is the girl's room." Alicia is confused by how he got a key unless he stole one from the other female soldiers. "If you come in, I will fight you."

With the warning, the door unlocked and was flung open. Jalin marched in, eyes showing he had no intention of leaving until he got what belonged to him. 

"So, you do have a pair," Alicia said. Putting down the poker chip, she prepares for a fight. "Bring it on, big boy."

"Since I first met you, you have been a pain in the ass," Jalin said.

"You're such a sore loser." With the rest of the Rose Knights and Vanguard-7 downstairs during their leave, Alicia went to her room to relax. That was until the Knight Jalin busted into the room.

Usually, that should terrify a young woman like herself; however, it was all part of the plan. Over the past six months, since Legrath, she had grown a level of respect for the man.

First, he maintained a level of sanity for being one of three guys in an all-female unit. Second, he proved to be loyal to Pina to a fault. A man who knows his loyalties is someone that she can respect, especially after his growth as a warrior. And third, he is a fine warrior, one that she could trust side by side. 

"I am a sore loser?" Jalin shouted. "You were the one who cheated!"

"All fair in love and war, baby." Alicia quickly replied. 

The truth is that he is correct. During the team poker downstairs, she slaughtered Jalin in the game by cheating. She wanted to see if he would react, and he indeed did.

"Now, if you want a chance at the crown, you better bring it."

Watching Jalin take off his shirt, preparing for a fight, Alicia could not help but admire his physical fitness. One positive comment she had to give the Knights and Legionaries is their physical look, all because of how much martial training and work they do.  

Before she knew it, she found herself liking him. Walking through the streets of Valtris and Alnus. The pool and poker nights at the barracks. The games and stories. However, she had no intention to make it easy as she only wanted to be with a fighter, someone who was a more excellent designer to win than herself. So, she decided to create a plot to push Jalin's buttons to see what he would do.

When Jalin charged, Alicia dodged by rolling across the bed to stop him by grabbing her shirt. To break free, she moved into him and slammed her fist into his head.

Once freed, Alicia stood up and tackled Jalin. While her intent was to knock him down, he stood his ground; however, she could get behind while arm locking him.

Jalin moved around the room as he tried to shake Alicia off. While not working, he began backing up to ram her against the wall.

Noticing this, Alicia let go and lowered herself, tripping Jalin over her body. Standing up, she prepared herself as he slowly stood up. 

"Is that all you got? I guess there is no glorious conquest today."

Stand, Jalin replied, "it is only appropriate to give a lady a fighting chance."

Smirking, Alicia responded, "that's low. I am not a lady."

As Jalin charged, Alicia moved the wheeled chair from the desk and pushed it toward him, forcing him to stop; she then set forward, jumping onto the chair, and tackling him.

Once on the ground, Alicia jumped onto Jalin's back, and arm locked him. What she wanted to do was drag him to the bed and pound him. It took all her strength to hold him as her arms struggled to wrap around his back. Realizing she failed, she mumbled, "shit…."

Stabilizing, Jalin grabbed her arm and swung her over, tossing her onto the bed.

Realizing out muscling the Knight, she decided to lash out. This kept Jalin at bay as he tried to grab her leg and arm, leaving a bruise on his bare chest and a nail cut on the cheek. Soon enough, though, he captured her.

Looking at her, surprised that even now, she struggles. "You never quite, do you?"

Looking at his hassle eyes, Alicia has never been so happy to be beaten in a fight. "Never!"

Smirking, Jalin leaned in. "I won, say it."

"No."

"Then I will keep holding you down."

After trying to ram her free leg into him but unable to reach, Alicia realized it was hopeless. With a laugh, she said, "fine. You conquered me."

Letting go, Jalin sat up as he began undoing his belt. "Never thought about hearing those words from you."

Reaching down, Alicia pushed her pants off as Jalin ripped her bra off. "Yeah, well, I hope you last longer than the fight."

Once stripped, Alicia grabbed his arms and brought him back down. She felt him enter her. The two began making out as their hands fought one another, exploring each other. 

"God dammit, give me all you got, you filthy Imperialist."

 

*** 

--- Koda Woodline State, Coan Forest, Marceau residence --- 

Date: July 10th, 2026

 

With all the technological wonders the Terrans invented, Tuka's favorite is artificial heating. While most would assume heated blankets for sleeping or for heating ones’ home, Tuka’s interest is in neither of those. What she loved the most was the ability to heat water, especially hot tubs and jacuzzi.

Time and time again, Tuka took advantage of such wonders, discovering it helped her destress. 

Emerging from the steaming water of a jacuzzi, Tuka looked toward Welulia. "Come on, get in. I got this reserved just for us."

"Am I allowed?" Welulia asked, poking the water with her toe.

Admiring Welulia's naked body, Tuka said, "Don't be silly, ok. Of course, you are allowed to; this is my home country."

It took a moment but saying those final words made Tuka smile. After nine years of being on the run from the former Kingdom of Edras and the Empire, they have a home, a place she can tell people it is her home. "And you are welcome to join us."

"But… but, slaves were never allowed in the hot springs," Welulia said. 

Finding the hesitancy humorous, Tuka splashed water at the elf. Just like everywhere else, slavery was legal in Rondel. Welulia was Cato's trusted assistant in notetaking. This was his way of helping a sweet blind woman, so she was safe from a cruel world where she would have been taken advantage of. Unlike most master-slave relationships where it was abusive, she had a very positive one with Cato, to the point she even broke down when he was murdered. 

"You are not a slave anymore," Tuka said. "You are free now. You have to get used to making your own choices."

"Except that I cannot see well," Welulia boldly stated. "Thank you for convincing Mimoza for unleashing me, but I would prefer to stay as one."

With Cato's death, his estate was passed down to Lelei and Arpeggio as he had no living sons. Mimoza agreed to watch over the estate and gave Welulia her freedom. 

She feared having freedom, getting used to having Cato protection and services, raising concern about how she would function alone. Mimoza almost made Welulia her slave for her safety until Tuka intervened, explaining that Earth has eye-wearing devices that fix shortsightedness. 

Grabbing her arm, Tuka pulled her into the hot water. "Stop worrying so much and relax."

Guiding Welulia to her seat, Tuka loved her reaction. "I know what you're thinking; I had the same reaction. That's why I convinced my father to get some in the negotiations."

"It does feel amazing," Welulia said. The ability to create artificial hot springs, all my stress just washed away. How many of these do your people have?"

"You mean your people," Tuka corrected. "I already talked to the Head Mother about allowing you to become a citizen of our country." She found saying those words harder to say than she expected, the new terminology will take time to get used to. "There are currently two of these artificial springs with four more planned after the war."

As Welulia got settled, she asked, "when will I meet your father?"

"I don't know," Tuka replied. "He is currently on a covert mission with NATO but that's all I know. By the way, when you finally meet him, he will try to flirt with you."

"Flirt?" Welulia asked.

"Well, he will want to have sex," Tuka said. "You just have to remind him I have dibs."

Glad to see Welulia happy, Tuka swam to her clothing, grabbing a small rectangle box. Getting excited, she swam toward her new girlfriend, handing her the box.

Confused, Welulia grabbed the box and said, "what is this?"

"Remember those tests that you had to take when you arrived?" Tuka said. "When they tested your eyes, I lied about that one."

Since the Haryo Tribe covert attack on Alnus last year brain scans have become mandatory, which is easier said than done. Because of the volume of people and how easily someone can be brainwashed. That means when soldiers bring in people like Welulia 

"You lied?" Welulia commented. Not in a sad way, just confused regarding what's happening. 

Tuka leaned in and gave Welulia a kiss. "Just open it. Trust me," She whispered.

Looking down at the box, Welulia opened it. Holding up a pair of glasses, she added, "what are these? I saw some of your soldiers wearing them."

Giggling, Tuka grabbed the glasses and said, "let me show you." Unfolding them, she places the glasses on Welulia.

Welulia looked around, blinking. "Wow… that is a huge improvement. This is what you meant before."

With the glasses, Tuka found that her girlfriend looked more attractive. Fitting the intelligence side of her character. "I wanted to keep it as a surprise."

After adjusting the glasses, Welulia tackled Tuka, hot water splashing all around as they began to make out.

 *** 

--- Lelei bedroom, Sharpes Condo, Philadelphia, United States --- 

Date: July 11th, 2026

 

Unable to believe what Lelei was hearing, she smashed her hands against the desk. It has been three days since they came back to the condo with Sarah and her other sisters. Sharpe is coming home today after many days of debriefing by the White House. White the rest of the team was able to relax, being an officer, he had other responsibilities which took an extra few day. While Vanguard-7 was at Rondel that extra week, he ordered that she and the other Girls go to Earth right after Cato's funeral to relax but she knew he ordered that because of her.

While the rest of her sisters wanted to have fun, as Rory called it, destress, Lelei only wanted to learn more magic from the Mages of Earth so she will be ready for next time. Believing the Wiccan Coven Institution would gladly accept her and teach her in their ways. After all, she helped them come out of the shadows on Earth and assisted in building relationships with the general public of both worlds. In her mind, they all owe her one.

However, everything is falling apart. After waiting two days for a Zoom meeting with the high-ranking members of the North American Council, they rejected her request to be trained in the ways of Wiccan, Voodoo, or Hoodoo. 

“Master Odelia and Master Nissa! Please reconsider!” Lelei pledged, nearly crying from frustration. "I have to learn from you. I have to get better."

“I am sorry Lelei," Nissa said. "Based on Soredin's recommendation, we cannot accept your request at this time."

Bursting from her chair, staring at the computer screen camera, Lelei angrily said, "what do you mean?"

"We had a discussion with Master Soredin and we decided that your state of mind is… not in proper condition for appliance at this time," Odelia said. "I am afraid you are not ready to learn our ways. The Council has made its final decision."

“And you should know that Wiccan, Voodoo, and Hoodoo currently are the most scrutinized forms of magic on Earth, due to its capability in manipulating souls and life force,” Master Nissa, the master Hoodoo mage added. “But the most important of it, is the capability for powerful curses that can kill or maim people from a distance, which has made a dark mark throughout history. Therefore, we Voodoo, and Hoodoo mages have to be extremely careful in our practices and teachings to prevent our arts always becoming a means to inflict pain and suffering, especially when magic still has not fully been accepted on Earth. We are sorry for your loss but we cannot let you use our arts for your personal vengeance, it would render our already bad reputation to become worse.”   

“But…. but…,” Lelei said.

“Our decision is final, Lelei. We will consider introducing you to the arts once your mind is clear,” Master Odelia said as she and her husband ended the Zoom call. 

Lelei got up in frustration, unleashing a magic shockwave, causing many items in her room to be scattered on the floor. Seeking someone to talk with, she remembered that Sarah is in the kitchen. Knowing that her adopted mother is preparing for their trip to Hawaii, she was hoping to get into the academy, so she won't have to join them, and instead start her next stage of training as soon as possible.

Feeling the full weight of the rejection, Lelei began to cry and called out, “Mom!”

Sarah emerged into the bedroom. “Is everything ok?” 

Rushing over, Lelei gave Sarah a hug. “I called the Coven Institution and they rejected me. They did not want me as their student! Even Soredin betrayed me! She told them not to accept me, after everything I have done.”

Seeing the rare moment of Lelei expressing emotions, Sarah fully engulfed her step-daughter into her arms, placing Lelei head on to her shoulders as they both cried together. “There, there.” 

After letting Lelei have a cry, Sarah placed her hands on Lelei's cheek and looked into her eyes. “No one betrayed you, ok. Right now, you need to relax. Jackson is coming home tonight and we leave tomorrow. I know you want revenge but this is not the time and place. Cato would not want you to rush off doing something crazy only to get hurt.”

“But they killed him!” Lelei screamed. “I was right there, and I could not do anything!”

Never once Lelei felt so helpless, watching the most important man she knew growing up be cut down in such a manner. Right now, all she feels deep in her heart is pain, anger, and vengefulness, wanting to punish everyone who did this.

“I know it is hard for you right now,” Sarah answered in her smooth, motherly calm voice. “Trust me, I do understand but this is not the way. Let us go to Hawaii, recoup. Spend time with the people you love now. Then, ask Jackson what to do next ok? We would like to be there with you as you sort all this out. Do you want us around?”

Lelei nodded as she whipped tears from her cheek. The thought of pushing everyone away and going alone scared her and realized she still wants a family.

Seeing the answer Sarah wanted, she gave Lelei another hug, with a rub on the back. “Ok. How about this, help me pack for our trip then we can make dinner. We both know that Selina only packs stuffed animals or what Rory recommends and Rory… well, she only packs clothing that will put most boys in jail.”

Unable to stop a short laugh, knowing how Rory acts and has no shame, Lelei nodded again. “Ok. I will help.”

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

 

5