V21 – Chapter 243 The Chamber
190 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Sadera, Alcatraz Region ---

Date: August 10th, 2026

 

“My God,” President Emily Potts blurted out as she watched over the city post-battle from the borrowed CV-22. The helicopter identified as Marine One was circling the capital city of The Empire to get a good view of the situation. 

Camp Akusho, this is Marine One. Approaching Sadera, 5 miles out. Over.

Solid copy, Marine One. You are cleared to land on Helipad Three. The ground crew and escort contingent are standing by. Over.

Solid copy, Akusho. Marine One, on final approach. Out.

After the battle against Valker, NATO established a Forward Operating Base in the district of Akusho, where the CIA held a section of the city before being driven out by the Oprichnina. Before the final evacuation, the CIA burnt the district to the ground in one last.

The once-destroyed district now looked like a paradise compared to the rest of the city. The sections to the northern, southern, western, and royal districts had been leveled by either artillery, airstrikes, magical, or simply brute force. 

As the President gazed at the city, while she felt bad for the losses of her people and angry for the unforeseen events by Darlko, there was no emotion for the destruction of the city. While she never could say it in public, a city for a city. The only concern she had was if the cost of life was worth it.

As the Osprey steadily decreased their altitude to land, President Emily Potts could see the ground even clearer, and what was littering the streets below. While serving in Afghanistan it was common to see body parts from IEDs and mortar rounds. While many times the dead were fellow Americans or NATO soldiers, most of the time it was civilians who were just going on with their daily lives. 

However, Potts never saw anything like this outside of what happened in Philadelphia. 

Below, she saw countless bodies that were littering the streets. Many, if not all of them, were mangled beyond any recognition. Similar to the reports of those infected with the Arrun Virus. 

According to Frayen after witnessing how Valker used the demon head, the outbreak was a result of demon blood which animals drank. Over time the virus spread until an outbreak occurred. A secondary outbreak has become a key concern with hundreds if not thousands of demon corpses scattered all over the city. Every corpse they found was gathered next to several large fire pits spread around the city, waiting to be burned by Rondel mages. According to the reports from Vanguard-7, Rondel mages know best how to deal with Necromancy magic and it was decided to let the experts handle it.

Just as many as the ‘human’ bodies littering the street, Potts also saw countless bodies of creatures that she had only seen in pictures. The bodies of ‘Demons’, as the American troops nicknamed them. Also littering the streets and the rooftops were ghouls and gargoyles as the natives called them. 

“Marine One touching down. Opening ramp door. Engines, shut down.

“Madam President, this way ma’am.”

President Potts stood from her seat and carefully followed the crew chief off the rear ramp. Despite the city now under NATO and Republican control, one cannot be too careful, especially concerning the president.

Right after she walked out of the Osprey, the first thing she noticed was the horrible smell hovering over the streets. It took a moment to get used to the smell, after being given a cloth, she saw the place that was once Akusho district now repurposed as a Helipad and basecamp for NATO and Republican troops. Just beyond the base soldiers and civilians cleaned up the city from the rubble and deceased bodies. 

After conducting a quick inspection of the camp, wanting to get a good sense of what has happened here, she was immediately greeted by General Charles Stanford who promptly gave her a salute.

“Madam President. Welcome to Sadera. I’m sorry, but I wish we could give you more… tidier receptions,” General Stanford said.

“I insisted on coming here, General. Now, shall we move on and figure out what just happened?” Potts asked Stanford to move on.

“Of course, Madam President. This way please.” Stanford gestures to Potts to follow her to the awaiting convoy, to which Potts eagerly followed him.

Arriving at the convoy, Stanford opened the back door of an MATV for the President to enter before Stanford followed her in. Right after the convoy started moving, Potts immediately turned to Stanford with a serious look. “What the hell happened General? I don’t think I need to explain the shitshow that is happening on Earth right now.”

“I am sorry Madam President,” Stanford said. “I fully understand your concern, but please let us wait until we have arrived at the command center. There we can give you a full debrief.” 

After a short drive, the convoy finally arrived at a three-stories mansion that used to belong to a Pro-War noble and now had been repurposed as a command center. Inside the mansion, there were staff everywhere all arranging and coordinating the cleanup effort, managing, and reorganizing their forces, and gathering and cross-checking intelligence for the upcoming fight. And the focus for the staff of the latter right now is researching anything that could give clues regarding Valker and Zufmuut. Mages from Rondel, biological scientists, historians, and to the President's frustration, Wiccan specialists. 

Once reaching a large makeshift conference room, one table had all these maps, scrolls, and other types of documents from both worlds while another table had other staff, mages, sages, and other experts. While most of the people that were assembled at this meeting, some she recognized and others she regretted having to meet again. On the other hand, there was a green orc standing next to the old lady which confused her.

“Finally, we met, at last, Madam President,” an old lady said. “My name is Mimoza La Mer, current head of the Rondel Magical Academy.”

Taking the older lady's hand, Potts smiled and shook. “I have heard much about you from our mutual blue-haired friend. Thank you for coming so quickly.”

“It is no problem, Madam President, I am happy to help,” Mimoza said. “Let me introduce you to Skrotarot. He will be assisting me.” After the introduction, Skrotarot approached and shook hands.

The next person to approach was Grand High Witch Verona Soredin of the North American Coven Council. While the President extended her hand to the witch, Potts did not accept the gesture. “Fancy seeing you again so soon, Grand High Witch Soredin. I hope this time there will be no surprises.”

Soredin replied after retracting her hand into her dress, “There will be none from me Madam President. I promise”

“Good to hear.” Potts walked over to the other side of the talk and stood next to Empress Pina Co Lada. She noticed these dark rings around her eyes. “I can tell you have had better days, Empress. I am sorry about your city.”

“No, you are not,” Pina sarcastically but coldly replied. “But thank you. If I may ask, Madam President, why didn’t you shake Soredin's hand? I thought your people have accepted mages.”

“I hope you haven’t forgotten what happened the first time she… ‘Introduced’ herself,” Potts explained. “And just to let you know, I am still recovering from it.”

Pina nodded her head back and forth as she saw where the conversation was going. “And now a magical demon god called Valker gave us a giant bloody punch in the face. I cannot imagine the political hell you are going through right now.”

That is the understatement of the century. There have been four major shocks during Potts's administration. First when the Gate suddenly opened. The second was when Soredin and Lelei conducted their stunt for Magical Civil Rights. A Balrog appeared in Rondel, destroying half of the city, and killing thousands. Now Sadera with her people is stuck in the middle.

As everyone gathered around the table, Potts spoke first to set the tone, “Alright people. I am going to ask this once, so I apologize in advance for my outburst. Now, can anybody please tell me how the hell what was supposed to be our greatest victory and the conclusion of this damn war, turn into our worst disaster since the Second Battle of Fallujah, and second only to the Tet Offensive?”

“Everything was going according to plan until this point,” Stanford said. “All Vanguard teams completed their objectives at the Royal District. The enemy leadership was either captured or killed. Emperor Zorzal El Caesar was confirmed killed by Lieutenant Colonel Jackson Sharpe to neutralize the target.”

Stanford continued to explain the recent events. Moment by moment. That the clouds in the sky appeared out of nowhere, forming a spiral around the city. That it started raining blood. The next thing was a bright green light that appeared before Lord Valker emerged. From there, everything fell apart as demons and the undead appeared and attacked everything in sight. That any unit that was not with the main force was overwhelmed, killed, or turned. It was only the intervention by Emroy that forced the Phantom lord to retreat.

The recently revised casualty report has stated that Republican Legions suffered the highest number of military casualties, suffering around seven hundred. American forces come in a close second with about five hundred. As Stanford concluded what happened, his opinion said that Valker used the giant city walls to create a pen, trapping everyone inside the city to be slaughtered or turned. 

“I am sorry Madam President,” Mimoza said. “I am sorry that your people got dragged into our rivalry with Darlko. They must be angry that you stopped their plan from unfolding and decided to strike against you.”

“If I may, I believe that’s not the case,” Pina interjected.

Hearing Pina’s statement, everyone’s eyes turned to Pina, including Potts. “What do you mean, Your Majesty?”

“I have only discussed it a little with my Rose Knights and the Legion Generals,” Pina continued. “If this was merely about the feud between Rondel and Darlko, Valker’s action would not make sense. What was the point of summoning those demons here and risking erasing Sadera off the map for an old feud? Sadera, beaten as it may be, is still important as the capital city of The Empire as it still housed important documents regarding our territories and resources, and as the symbol of The Empire. Destroying it meant collapsing The Empire which would have a negative effect on them.”

“Maybe they’re planning to secede themselves from The Empire and declare their own country?” Stanford voiced his opinion.

“That’s one of the conclusions that we came up with,” Pina replied. “Best case, Darlko are planning to create their own country, maybe setting the goal to be the next superpower in Falmart after The Empire’s fall. Worst case, the gods are plotting something bigger, using Valker and by extension Darlko, as their puppets to do their bidding. Whichever it is, I’m afraid it’s much bigger than the Rondel-Darlko feud.”

“That is a sound point,” Soredin said. “While I never have faced him, from what I have read he couldn’t have done what he has done. I think it is clear that he received outside help. Why else would the Uros gods directly intervene?”

“That means the gods must consider Valker and Darlko as equal threats,” Pina said. “Rory Mercury and the other Apostles said when they faced off with the Darlko brainwashed Apostles, they kept talking about Zufmuut, the God of Order. I think it is safe to assume some kind of alliance has been formed between the two factions.”

While listening to everyone's points of view, Potts breathed heavily while pinching the bridge of her nose, trying to alleviate the headache she was having as much as possible. “So let me get this straight. Right now, the ‘Gods’ of Uros are having a civil war, and we got dragged into it?”

With the weight of Potts’ question, everyone in the room looked down, unable to deny the possibility.

“With everything that has happened until now, I am afraid that it is the path that we are heading to, Madam President,” Mimoza replied with a heavy heart.

“If it’ll alleviate your concern, Madam President, I don’t think the situation has reached the status of ‘War’, yet. I believe it’s still on the level of ‘Internal dispute’,” Pina interjected, trying to alleviate Potts’ mood.

Hearing Mimoza’s and Pina’s response, Potts tried her best to contain her groan while resting her head on her hand on the table. Massaging her own head as much as possible. She appreciated Mimoza’s and Pina’s honest answers, but she really wished to hear different, honest answers right now. At first, Potts's plan was to gain access from Falmart to Falm,art and annexing territory here would be beneficial in boosting America’s economy with new resources and magic. Now, her head was filled with nothing but frustration as a war similar to the Titanomachy loomed on the horizon, and America is threatened to get dragged into it. 

Now, she felt like she was stuck between two difficult decisions. The expression ‘Stuck between a rock and a hard place wasn’t enough to describe her situation. Should she pull all of her forces and NATO back to Earth’s side of the gate and close it for good? Or should she stand her ground? If she pulls all of her forces back, that will mean all of the investments and war expenditures that she had poured into Falmart will go down the drain. But if she stays… America had acquired a lot of experience fighting multitudes of wars, they even had prepared to fight a nuclear annihilation war. But all of those were fought against fellow humans. But against gods, is it even possible? Would they stand victorious?

Noticing the mood in the room turned gloomy, Stanford coughed to get everyone’s attention before continuing the meeting along. “We are currently moving our satellite to overwatch Darlko. I will discuss with General Krysist, King Duran, and the rest of my staff regarding the next invasion plans.”

“The key problem is how far Dalko is,” Pina said. “There was a reason why we kept them as far east as possible. At least two thousand of your kilometers.”

“I have already talked with my staff on this matter, Madam President,” Stanford said. “We agree after these two events, they are planning something major. Rondel was not a one-off to settle a grudge. We need to react as soon as we are able.”

“But do you have a counter to them if they do this same thing again?” Potts asked.

“I understand your concern, madam president.” Stanford tried to reassure her. “But after these two incidents, it’s become clear that Darlko is more of a threat than the Empire could’ve ever been. If left to their own devices, what would stop them from pulling this same move anywhere else in Falmart or worst, American soil?”

“I am no military expert,” Soredin said. “But from how I see it, they are no longer operating in the shadows without us knowing about it. Every act they have conducted came to pass because of our lack of understanding of the situation. Now that we know they are a threat.”

“But that is something I wouldn't leave to chance.”

Potts merely sighed and massaged her head further. These were all fair points. Darlko was a threat; one that she couldn’t ignore. Pushing this off would threaten the United States and her allies’ interest in the continent in the long run. “Alright but let me be clear. What happened in Sadera and Rondel can never happen again! General, I want to plan as soon as possible.”

“Understood, madam president.”

Setting the risk of getting dragged into a war between gods aside, the idea of expanding the war did not settle well for the President. This was supposed to be the end but now it is including half of Falmart. “What is bothering me is why did they do this? People only form alliances because there is a benefit.”

"According to now Queen Famulis,” Pina said. “Lord Valker approached them and was forced to surrender to his will. From what I understand they were not included in his plan however; I have my doubts."

Potts adjusted her glasses and said, "speaking of Famulis. I noticed you did not include her with the other prisoners. Do I have to remind you of our treaty?"

"I remember everything Madam President," Pina said. "The ex-General of Army Woody, Herm, Calasta, Mortimer Gummus are being transferred to your military police. However, Famulis surrendered to me so I will deal with her.” 

“She was the second in command of the League,” Potts stated.

“I know, but she intentionally surrendered to me. The thing is, I have a security interest in keeping her around. Without her, the eastern dark kingdoms will collapse and right now I don’t have the manpower to secure the eastern frontier. I need as much stability as I can get.”

Finding the spirit from the young Empress amusing, the President mentally debated what was said and decided a stable Falmart is more important right now. She had enough to face trial “Fine. But I also have terms for her surrender.”

Pina nodded. “Now. Can we talk about the supply problems for Sadera.”

“And then there’s the problem of the appearance of new kinds of enemy. Our forces need to adapt, and we have some proposals that require your approval, Madam President.” Stanford said to Potts.

“It seems today will be a busy day,” Potts sighed.

 

--- security duty on Royal District --- 

 

Staff Sergeant Andrew Steele watched two soldiers in HAZMAT suits piling the demon and ghoul corpses into a pile. A group of Rondel mages approached a pile and ignited the pile with their fire magic.

"Glad I am not doing that," Andrew said.

"I just cannot understand how anyone could do this," Hamilton commented as she gazed at the destroyed royal homes. "It makes me wish I was with our baby."

"You could go back," Andrew said, giving his wife a light hug. "I actually would prefer you to stay with her anyway."

"But… I wanted to be with you," Hamilton said.

"You're so cute."

As time goes by the two continue to redirect civilians away from entering the royal district grounds and into the safe zones. In the eyes of every person, the once proud citizens of Sadera are not broken. 

"Andrew…," Hamilton said as she pulled on her husband's uniform.

"Just tell them to go to the refugee center," Andrew replied, assuming what his wife was going to ask.

"No, it is not that," Hamilton said. "I thought Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe was at the FOB recovering."

"He is or was, what the hell is he doing…." Andrew looked in the direction of his wife and saw his commanding officer. To his confusion, Sharpe was wandering around the area, looking somewhat lost.

"Also, where is Rory?" Hamilton asked. "I know Lelei is busy with Frayan but Rory would never leave his side after what happened."

"True," Andrew said. With the realization that something was going on, he told his fellow Rangers to watch his post and told his wife to follow. “Let’s go find out.”

Walking through the ruins of the once-Senate building, they noticed Sharpe was not alone. General Krysist was with him exploring the ruins. This only confused the two as they pondered on questioning the strange situation.  

"Sir, what are you two doing?" Andrew asked. "Shouldn't you two be at the FOB?"

Krysist stared at the young couple and then laughed. "Your commander is suffering from what I am calling a dream fever.”

"Shut up," Sharpe snapped, dropping a rock to stand up. "I don't recall asking you to come with me."

"I do as I pleased,” Krysist responded. “Let us say, if something is bothering you this much then there must be something to it.”

"Is that so?" Andrew asked. “Should I call for backup?”

“No,” Sharpe said. “I don’t want to divert resources away from the problem at hand. I just…, I need to do this right now and get it off my chest. Besides, if I start shouting my mission over the net, everyone will flip out.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Hamilton added. “But what do you mean by dream fever?”

Andrew sensed an awkwardness among them as the two commanders glanced at each other. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but it is clear they intended to go on this mission alone, whatever it is. “You realize I cannot allow you two to go off alone. Not after what just happened.”

“We need to go with you,” Hamilton said.

“No,” Sharpe said. 

“I happen to agree with the Colonel,” Krysist said. “You two will only get in our way. Especially you. The dungeon is no place for a cute face like yourself. Trust me.”

Looking toward his wife, Andrew grabbed her arm and whispered, “I am not comfortable with you going down with them. As you said, trouble follows them.”

“We cannot let them go alone though,” Hamilton replied. “What if something happened to them? Now, we are going and that is final.”

Taking an annoyed breath, Andrew agreed with his wife. He knew she was right, if anything happened to them, he would never forgive himself. “Alright, we won’t stop you, but you have to take us along.”

“I already said no,” Sharpe repeated. 

“Well then, according to regulation, I have to report this to the chain of command,” Andrew said. “I think you know what will happen if I do?”

Sharpe reluctantly agreed to let them come along.

"What are you two looking for?" Hamilton asked.

"I am looking for a hidden dungeon," Sharpe finally explained. "During my fight with Zorzal, I saw this place. I need to find it."

"I think I can help there," Hamilton said. "I was a Royal Servant all my life. I had to learn about Sadera and its inner workings."

Hamilton being the now Empress's most loyal servant for nearly fifteen years had learned much of the layout of the Royal District. A servant life by nature forces them to be observant, having to always expect what their master wished and be able to answer any question as best as possible. However, with much of the destruction of the district, all the traditional paths have been destroyed. It took nearly an hour to find an alternative path below the city, to the old Oprichima headquarters. 

Now traveling through the underground, the tunnels were pitch black. Krysist held a lit torch as Andrew attached a flashlight to the barrel of his rifle, that being the only source of light. 

As the four ventured to the depths of the once-great city, Hamilton glanced at her husband and giggled. “You must be loving this."

“Why would you think that?” Andrew replied.

“I thought this was one of your dreams?” Hamilton responded. “You have all those manga books. Did you call them fantasy? Am I correct? This is what you always wanted.”

“You are right about that,” Andrew said. “I always thought it would be cool going down in these places. However, I will admit it is very different from what I expected.”

“Only a fool would willingly wish to come down here,” Krysist said. “Down in the depths, only the worst that a man could imagine could thrive. For all who venture down here usually equals a dark death.”

“I am starting to see that,” Andrew replied as he marked the wall with an arrow. “I just thought, being the capital of a major nation would have something cool down here. Like what they found under Legrath.”

“You never know, Andrew,” Sharpe said. “I would say they get more right than wrong at this point, so you never know.”

As they stopped at a fork in the path, Hamilton pointed toward the left. “This way, I think.”

“What do you mean you think?” Krysist asked, concerned that they are getting lost.

“Did you not rebel within this city before?" Hamilton strongly replied. "If you are so wise, why not lead us through these tunnels?"

Krysist laughed and then said, “That was a good day. Do not pretend you know where you are going if you do not know."

"Be nice Krysist," Sharpe said. "It is a fifty-split. So, we are going down Hamilton's path."

Feeling a deep frustration regarding why they are down here. Andrew looked toward his trusted leader for clues. All he could see was the commanding officer looking around, studying his surroundings. Like that he lost something.

While confused with what was going on with his commanding officer, he decided to go on a leap of faith and trust Sharpe. After everything that has been going on and everything up until now has always been intentional so there is no reason to question motivation. Sharpe has had to bear a lot of weight on his shoulders, no time to start questioning him now.

As they moved deeper into the dungeon network, Sharpe gave the order to hold position, stating that he saw something up ahead.

Aiming for their source of light, they saw a corpse on the ground. A sign of relief that it was just a dead body. Andrew began to ask how this body got down this far until it was suddenly dragged around the corner, leaving a trail of blood.

Everyone freaked out with the realization that they are not alone. Quickly putting the facts together, there is a high chance that it was not any of the humanoids like humans, elves, and so on. None should be here or if so, wouldn’t be dragging bodies like it was nothing. With recent events and the speed of the drag, it is clear it is something worse.

That is when a Demon walked around the corner, holding the corpse with one hand as it ripped off the body armor with its teeth. Blood spilled to the floor.

The Demon then stared directly.

Andrew quickly fired his rifle, inflicting damage. The Demon, noticing them charged forward, ignoring the impact from the bullet. The tightness of the tunnels limited their flexibility, preventing the beast from leaping forward and quickly killing them.

Hamilton came forward and held her sword as she took the point.

The Demon rammed into Hamilton, easily knocking her over with its superior muscular body weight. This forced Andrew to catch his wife before impacting the stone wall. Fearing that the force could injure her or worse. 

As the Demon let out a roar that echoed through the dungeon, Sharpe fired into it with his sidearm. From the bullet holes, red and black blood leaked out of them.

Krysist handed the torch to Hamilton, which she was hesitant to take. "There is no shame in being weak. Knowing you are and still stood against a superior enemy is honorable."

The General unsheathed his sword and charged against the Demon. After slicing an arm off, he ran the blade into the beast's side to contain it, stabilizing it so Sharpe could get a clean shot. It approached at point blank range and unloaded three .45 bullets into its head, finally killing the beast.

“Okay, what is going on?” Andrew asked. "My wife nearly died. God knows what else is down here."

“Good idea,” Sharpe replied. "You two should go back. I will stay."

“Hell, that is not what I meant?” Andrew said. “It might be useful if you tell us what is happening.”

Sharpe hesitated to respond as he figured out what to say. After having a mental debate, he finally said, “During my fight with Zorzal I was knocked unconscious. During which I had this strange dream about this location deep under the city. This man was telling me that I had to find it."

While not wanting to disrespect a man that Andrew had grown to respect, he found it strange that is the reason they came so far. Now he understood why Krysist said 'dream fever' as this has become crazy. Sharpe is a practical man, not going off mission because of a feeling but reality. Looking to Krysist for a response, all he saw was determination, clearly unphased by the strangeness of the situation. 

"And you trust this dream?" Andrew asked. 

"...yes," Sharpe slowly replied. "When the Balrog was summoned, I had this strange conversation. At the time I thought I was talking to Sarah, trying to figure out what to do next. I got this pep talk from my wife but later learned she had no recollection of it.

 I have had this feeling multiple times throughout the war but never this strong. Some inner voice speaks to me."

"I recall that conversation," Andrew said. "We all thought you went to Section 8 for a moment." He felt this angry spirit emitting from his wife. Seeing her, Hamilton gave him the 'support you friend' glare. "You pulled a victory out of your ass sir. So, whatever is going on, I am with you."

As the group continued, they ran into a few ghouls that somehow trickled down here however most of the trip was uneventful. The tunnel network seemed to go on forever, clearly looking older than the tunnels from before.

After what felt like forever, Hamilton noted strange markings starting to cover the walls. Some in paint while others are carved into the walls.

Sharpe approached the markings, placing his hands on them. Taking a quick look around, he said, "I remember this place. I saw it in my dream."

"What was at the end?" Andrew asked.

"I have no idea," Sharpe replied. "My dream told me to wake up before I was able to learn more."

"Then let's find out." Andrew took point, rifle at the ready, aiming the flashlight down the path.

They slowly moved down the tunnel. The markings formed into pictures, telling what seemed to me a story. Toward the end of the hall, what looked like the Gate appeared. Around the Gate are warriors marching out. 

"This looks like the legend," Krysist said. "Sadera must be the original camp against the Demons thousands of years ago."

"Then it is all true," Hamilton said. "We did defeat the darkness and brought order."

"You are missing the point," Krysist said. "Assuming these are our ancestors, it shows they came through the Gate. The question is why."

"I can answer where," Sharpe said.

They all stopped with confusion. Sharpe pointed down the tunnel.

That is where Andrew saw it. They found the end of the tunnel and where a large door. To his shock, there was writing on the door that said 'SPQR'.

It took hours for everyone else to catch up with the Sharpe group. When word reached the brass of their discovery it became a priority. 

Sharpe watched Pina feel the door, touching the letters. "I remember seeing symbols like this throughout the city. We were never able to translate them and assumed it was some old military marking before the old Republic. Before the Empire."

"That is because it is a classical-Era Earth phrase," Soredin said as she approached. "It means-."

"The Roman Senate and People," Sharpe said. 

"That is correct," Soredin said, impressed that he knew the answer. "This is the phrase by the greatest pre-industrial civilization that has ever walked the Earth."

"Wait, back up," Pina said. "How is that possible? How could an Earth phrase from thousands of years ago be on here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Rory said. "The Gate. Apparently, our world has a longer history than we originally believed."

"You say that like you already knew it," Sharpe boldly stated. 

Rory became nervous and began pointing her index fingers together like a kid who got caught stealing cookies. "I had my theories. There are so many similarities, I just had no proof to back any of it up."

"It seems that your theory was correct," Soredin said. "Now, let us try opening it."

"We already tried," Krysist said. "The door’s sealed tight."

"I probably could break through," Rory proposed.

"I don't think you can," Soredin said. "I sense magical properties on this door. And based on these markings, we need what looks like a Roman dodecahedron or also called a Gallo-Roman dodecahedron."

"What is that?" Andrew asked.

"We had no idea," Soredin said. "We started finding them a few decades ago and assumed it was just decorations. Interestingly, the dodecahedron had another purpose. Assuming the markings are correct."

"So, where do we get these keys?" Sharpe asked.

"Hmm…, I know someone in Italy who could help us," Soredin said.

 

***

--- Sadera, Alcatraz Region ---

Date: August 10th, 2026

 

During the past twenty-four hours, there have been many attempts to open the supposedly Roman door. Hammers, drills, and even an Apostle’s raw strength have failed to open the door. It was assumed that Frayen could pass through it however he refused, stating that they should wait for this historian to arrive. He wanted to respect the designer's efforts in preserving whatever is inside. 

While Jackson Sharpe found it frustrating, he respected Frayen's perspective. The Dark Elf values earned knowledge and understood the context of patience. The Apostle has never been known to take shortcuts, at least not willingly. First, try the proper path to unlocking this door, and if then, use more drastic options. 

Sharpe approached Rory and asked, "What do you think is inside?"

"I have no idea," Rory replied. Noticing that Sharpe was giving her a glare, she glared back at him. "Really. I have no idea what is inside. I am not Superman."

“You're right,” Sharpe said. “He is taller.”

When everyone saw the 'SPQR' markings. The realization that the Empire was not a similar-looking independent developed civilization but the directdescendents of the Roman Empire. 

Sharpe noticed that Rory and Lelei were not as surprised as everyone. With Lelei, he could understand that she had a theory regarding this topic. However, Rory cared little regarding the subject.

Before he could inquire deeper into Rory's strange reaction, Soredin returned with an Italian professor. Among them are Colonel Yang and extra security. 

Sharpe quickly would tell that the Italian only arrived in country today. While the man looked excited from the Roman markings, every mannerism from his body looked terrified. First time in Falamrt and brought to the heart of the war. He does not blame the civilian.

"This is my friend, Fredo Donini," Soredin said. "He is a professor from the University of Milan and is one of the heads of his field."

"Nice to meet you all," Fredo Donini said, voice shaking a little.

“Everything is okay, professor,” Sharpe said. “The area is secured. We are not expecting any hostility.”

“I know,” Fredo Donini said after taking a deep breath to calm himself. "I cannot believe I am standing in a standing Roman ruin on another world. This has broken all of our current theories."

“This will change our history books,” Sharpe said. “Thousands of years before the moon landing the Imperium of Man was busy colonizing another planet and slaying demons.”

There were some chuckles until Lelei held up her finger with a cheerful look.

Lelei said, "That was a joke, right?" Once everyone confirmed that it was, she smiled, proud that she finally understood a joke.

"Now that the introductions are complete, I say let's move on," Yang said. “I hate to say it, however, we have urgent matters.”

Two of the escorting Rangers that were carrying a small, secured box sat it on the ground. Fredo Donini opened it and took out a strange-looking dodecahedron. Based on the alloy, the artifact looked ancient. 

"I have no idea that this will work," Fredo Donini said. "There has been no study regarding this, and the inclusion of magic has us reconsidering many of our traditional perspectives. These have been exciting times for academia." 

"We are not expecting a miracle," Yang said. "We understand this is a long shot but-."

"A long shot maybe, but look at these carvings," Soredin interrupted. "The markings on the wall clearly show this device is related to this door."

"Question," Lelei said. "If these dodecahedrons are like keys, how do we know any of these will work? Keys are usually designed for one lock."

"Or, how do we know an Earth dodecahedron will work on a Uros lock?" Andrew asked.

"As I said, we have no idea," Fredo Donini answered. 

"I think we are safe," Soredin added. "Earth magic is far more primitive than on Falmart. Even at Earth's peak, we never were able to achieve the level of development you have. If these are truly Romans that came through the Gate, they would've needed to construct this quickly once they realized they were stuck. The enchantment on this door would be based on Earth magic."

"And the truth is, good chance we will never find the key they used here," Lelei said. "We only found a few of these so they're rare."

The two took the dodecahedrons to the door. When they had to wait, Soredin and Lelei translated the markings and assumed they found the keyhole. 

Soredin pressed a stone and pushed it back. Fredo Donini then set the dodecahedron into the slot. Lelei then blasted the object with mana.

Nothing happened. 

After a short debate, they tried another dodecahedron. The same thing happened so they repeated the process again. 

Three in a row now failed. Fredo Donini took out a medium side with all these round orbs that are attached. 

The device was placed into the hole and Lelei cast mana into it, the dodecahedron glowed. The orbs around it went from old crusty metal to shiny glow. A bright light emitted from the hole and slowly the walls split into four retracting panels. 

Once the panels fully retracted, Sharpe took a step forward to the room. The room was strangely dark. Strangely, the light from their torches and flashlights did not light up the chamber, like there was some kind of invincible barrier reflecting the light away. Soreden wondered if this was some type of protection for whatever was inside.

Once inside, all the torches magically ignited, brightening the entire chamber. 

What they saw was unbelievable. At the center of the chamber was a stone grave with a skeleton warrior inside. All around the walls are ancient objects, marble statues, paintings, armor, swords, and far more that are perfectly preserved.

"It is a time capsule," Fredo Donini said. “I have never seen anything so perfectly preserved.”

Sharpe stopped at the grave, looking at the skeleton inside. The Roman was still inside his armor, sword on his chest. On the armor, he noticed three claw marks moving across it. Marks he wished he didn't understand. They were from a Demon.

He then saw Pina with Hamilton absorbing everything. She has been saying how this is her people's mother, birth from this chamber, their legacy. That she will use this chamber to birth the Reformed Republic. 

Gladden to see the amount of national pride coming from the Empress, Sharpe heard Rory call him over. "What is it?"

"This painting."

Sharpe looked toward the painting, carefully analyzing every detail he could. It showed Legionaries defeating the demons. Behind them is the Gate, opened.

At the center of the painting is a general, arm raised while standing on top of a Demon corpse with giant horns. In his hand is a Lance. 

For some reason, Sharpe felt that he had to focus on the warrior with the Lance. The man reminded him of the mini statue his daughter bought for him after saving Italica. General Kaeso Sura. 

"This must be when the Legionaries traveled through the Gate," Sharpe said. "Must be when they reach Falmart."

"I don't think so," Rory said. "See how the darkness is fleeing back through the Gate? And see how the warriors are facing toward the Gate? It looks like they repelled an invader, not being invaders."

Pina walked over. "Who are these soldiers? I have never seen that armor before."

Fredo Donini said, "That looks like the Parthian Empire. A traditional enemy of the Empire." Looking closely, he added, "Based on the factions this has to be located in the Middle East, close to the Birth of Christ. It would make sense that both factions worked together, this conflict being on both Empires' borders.”

"Why is it always the Middle East," Andrew commented.

"Strangely, this is lining up with the Bible," Soredin said. "Assuming any of this is related to the old book, this battle took place at the Valley of Armageddon. Or otherwise known as Apocalypse."

"Wait, I thought Armageddon was the end of the world," Sharpe asked.

"It is," Soredin replied. "People misunderstand this part. The name of the end of the world is the location where it will happen."

"I think you are right about that painting being on Earth," Lelei said as she stood at the next painting. "This looks like they are on the other side of the Gate, fighting the Demons."

Walking through the chamber, he studied all the paintings. Each one told the story. From the beginning the Legion traveled through the Gate, establishing a foothold. Making contact with the Elvish Kings of the time, forming an alliance. Then a great battle at an unknown location, defeating the demons with the last painting showing General Kaeso Sura being laid to rest in this chamber.

While all the paintings told a story lost in history, about a Roman leading the very first people from Earth to a new world, the picture that captured Sharpe was the second to last painting. The General is talking with a lady human in a white robe with a light glow around her.

"That woman," Rory said. "That man is talking with Hardy. 

"It seems like Hardy knows something that we do not," Frayen said.

"Then I know Vanguard-7's next mission," Sharpe said.

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

 

 

3