V22 – Chapter 253 Manifest Corruption
120 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*** 

--- City of Dalko, Great Plains Region ---

Date: August 26th, 2026

 

The four Griffins II fired another barrage against the hillside fortifications, punching holes in the bunker complex. Darlko mages retreated into the complex as they realized their barriers were no match against the US heavy weapons. The combination of overwhelming firepower had started too. 

As Sharpe held the radio, he watched as the Rondel mages either burned the fortifications or unearthed them with their magic as the Airborne covered them.

“Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe,” Brigadier General Smith said. “Once the barrage is finished, I want VRTF-2 to sweep in. Once your Rangers take the breaches, we will swarm their position.”

“Roger that,” Sharpe said.

“Are we ready to strike?” Krysist asked. “I am feeling my age waiting here all day.”

Setting the radio down, Sharpe looked at the General. “Don’t deploy everyone. Send five teams to each breach and have a team follow behind the other while giving cover. My teams will follow right behind. Speed is the key right now. They might be strong in mage however that is it.”

“I know what to do. The question is, when will the so-called Demon God show himself?”

“No idea,” Sharpe responded. “I expect he is by that temple opening the Demon Gate. Looks like we will have to punch through this to get to him as soon as possible or else we will have a legion of demons coming at us.”

“These people have no honor,” Krysist said after taking a drink from his canteen. 

“Not everyone does,” Sharpe said. “If they did, we would be unemployed.” 

Chuckling from the response, Krysist replied, “That is true. It is amazing after all.”

“What is?”

“Think about it. Every little step throughout our lives led us to this very moment. Almost like it was destiny. If someone told me back in the Arena that I would be in charge of all Legionaries on Falmart, facing down demons I would never have believed it. And you, who helped bridged the two worlds together to fight a common enemy.”

“I noticed you hyped up your story more and just gave me a single line,” Sharpe commented with a laugh. He then took a deep breath as he looked out. "I think that is enough to retire on."

"For most warriors, but not for us. However, regardless of what we do, going forward history will only remember this moment."

Staring at the General, Sharpe saw a disappointed look from that fact. While he had no intention of retiring all he could think about was his new family. "I am fine with that. But sometimes, what is closer to home is more important."

“Do not tell me you plan to go soft too after all this?”

“Hah, far from it.”

“Then what is it that you mean?”

“Don’t take this personally but all that historical footnote is overrated.” Sharpe then pointed to the Warrior Bunny who was commanding the Legionaries. “The only action that matters, in the end, is if it benefits the ones around you.”

Krysist looked toward Malena. “Her? She is just a fellow warrior like myself.”

“Don’t tell me even the great general who proudly says that he stood up against us can’t even see what’s happening right in front of him.”

 Krysist merely stared at her. “I was wondering why she was sticking around.”

“Let me give you the same lesson you gave me from Havcristen without the whole kidnapping and saving the damsel in distress plot,” Sharpe said. “Don’t miss out on what is in front of you.”

"Possible," Krysist said after reflecting on the words. "If we survive this, I guess I am going to have to learn how to be on the sidelines." 

Sharpe patted his arm on the General's shoulder before hearing a report over the radio that the enemy fortifications had been broken through. The two commanders headed to their units. 

After regrouping with Vanguard-7, Sharpe informed the team that they were going to assault. He gave the orders to Johnson and Bailey, and each went to their own teams.

As everyone prepared to attack, Lelei approached and asked. "How do you think Rory is doing?"

Taking a deep breath, he said, "I believe she is okay. It is a fight we cannot get involved in without heavy casualties and we have our jobs to do. We just have to trust her, and she knows we do."

Hearing another 105mm shot from the nearby light tank, Vanguard-7, and the other Vanguard teams advanced forward. Among them are detachments of Krysist’s Legionaries. Shields up with the attempt to deflect arrows and low-level magical attacks, making themselves the larger target. This would allow the Rangers to pick off any Darlko target in safety. 

As Vanguard-7 advanced, Randy and Sharpe's fire teams leaped frog as they covered each other in picking off any potential combatants. As they pushed forward, their uniforms became soaked from the red blood rain.

A bright light suddenly emerged from one of the destroyed bunkers. A huge flaming bird conjured by magic impacted the forward shield wall, taking out the core element of the Republican unit. Other archers and mages then focused on the other Legionaries as they struggled to reform their lines. 

"There is still a mage in there," Andrew said. 

"Looks like the mage is using the rubble as protection and lobbying his spell like a mortar," Lelei explained.

“I can’t ge clear shot, those rubble are too dense for me to snipe at him,” Yao stated as she aimed her sniper rifle.

"Randy, move your team and assist those Legionaries," Sharpe ordered. "Andrew, Alicia, mark where that shot came from for fire support. Everyone else, prepare to storm."

Randy's team adjusted their position and then provided cover for the survivors. Jerry rushed over and started giving medical treatment to the wounded, starting with a legionary who was missing an arm. 

Seeing the Centurion who was in charge, Sharpe rushed over and asked, "What is your status?"

"We did not see that coming," the Centurion said. "I thought your cannons were covering us?"

"We are working on it. Regroup your men and follow up behind. A medical team will come and take care of your wound. We secure this entry point and then once we do, storm the opening."

Hearing another bright light coming from within the bunker, the shot impacted nearby Vanguard-7, knocking Frost and Chapman to the ground from the shock. Tuka and a legionary helped the two up from the ground. 

Alicia reported that fire support was in-bound as they believed they had found where the enemy fire came from. 

A mortar impacted within the broken open bunker as the bright light was forming again. The light suddenly sniffed out from the impact, leading Sharpe to believe that they successfully killed the Darko mage. 

Scott and Sofia took points to the rest of the unit followed quickly behind - rushing past the dead and wounded Legionaries. Over NETT Warrior, Sharpe watched as Bailey and Johnson’s teams had already achieved their objectives.

Seeing the two Rangers at the entrance, Everett fired a few shots into the bunker while Frost tossed a fragmentation grenade. The two took cover as smoke streamed out from the grenade blast. The two checked the bunker again and gave the all-clear sign.

After the rest of the unit caught up with the point team, Sharpe waved for Tuka, Yao, and Lelei to use fire magic to burn inside the complex, wanting to snuff out anyone who might be alive. Knowing that they were fighting a mage-heavy enemy, he did not want to take chances, nor did they have the time to properly clear out these fortifications. 

Fire wrapped around the three girls' hands and flames were injected from their pawns and streamed into the bunker like a flamethrower. 

From the blaze, screams were heard from people being burned to death. 

Seeing the Centurion from before approach with more Legionaries behind him, Sharpe gave the order to stop and then ordered the three girls to put out the fire with water magic so the Legionaries would clear out this bunker. 

“My lord,” the Centurion said. “We will take it from here. We have to return the favor from before.”

“One moment, they are putting out the fires,” Sharpe responded. “Hopefully, 

The flames were quickly put out and steam came out of the bunker. 

“That should be enough,” Lelei said.

“Alright,” Sharpe said. “It will be hot from the steam, but this should have cleared out anyone who would have given you any trouble.”

“That is fine.” The Centurion held his sword in the air. “Legion, shields forward and no mercy.” Nearly two dozen of them charged into the bunker to begin clearing out the complex. 

 

--- 

 

With only being able to smell death and hear the sound of battle, Lelei wiped the Blood Rain off her forehead. With all the rain she felt warmer than she expected. One of the Rangers said it was related to the strong humidity. However, she could not agree. 

Being a Nomad, she had experienced rainstorms in open plainlands multiple times before but never experienced this level of heat. Not in this climate at least. The only reason she could expect was that the blood rain in combination with this black creep is raising the temperature of the local environment. 

“I hate this rain,” Tuka commented. “It was so hard to clean it off last time even with the best detergent.”

“I know. Had to throw away those clothes,” Lelei said. “But think of it this way, we can get our boys to buy us new clothes.”

At first, Tuka looked surprised by the response. Then her surprised look turned into pride. “I never thought to hear that from you little sis. It seems that you have finally learned the ways of being feminine.”

“No thanks to you, Yao, and Rory.”

“And your boyfriend.”

“Quiet,” Lelei boldly said as they got closer to the bunker. 

As Randy's team advanced toward the enemy hillside bunker, Lelei saw her old arcane master, Soredin, investigating the surrounding area. Turning, she saw her being escorted by some soldiers. They were checking out a tree that was covered with the black creep. “Teacher? What are you doing?”

“Investigating this creep,” Soredin said. “I have never seen such a fascinating wonder of events.”

“Demons are trying to conquer the world,” Tuka said. “How is this fascinating? This is not the time for studying plant life.”

“Fascinating doesn't always mean good, my dear,” Soredin replied. “Everything about this creep is organic and defies all the natural laws of our understanding of biological science and within my Wiccan methodology and herbology. We are talking about a whole new level of understanding.”

While Lelei's arcane master was wise and powerful, she has always found her a bit strange. While everyone might stop to smell the flowers and enjoy life, she would stop to smell the mushrooms just because they would be different. The one thing that she always respected about her was that she did not care what others thought.

“Is there anything we should worry about, teacher?” Lelei asked.

“It is too early to tell,” Soredin said. “I would assume that we should not spend a minute longer than required.”

“How come?” Everett asked.

“Right now, this tree is still acting normal,” Soredin said. “But watch this.” Her right-hand glowed red with fire as she cast a stream of fire against a tree. 

When a tree caught on fire it usually had a burning smell with smoke emitted from it. The heat would eat from the bark and consume it until there was nothing but charcoal. To Lelei's amazement and confusion, this did not happen. Smoke still emitted from the tree however it was thick, sluggish. Acting more organic and sappier with bubbles forming than plain old sire-smoke. The smell was also different, being closer to a rotting corpse than burning wood. 

“This is an abomination,” Tula said. “How could they do this to plant life?” 

“Plant life is the cornerstone for life,” Soredin said. “We need it to create the oxygen for us to breathe and for the food we eat. I can only assume this is how the Demons take control of the worlds they conquer and force their subjects to their will. The ones who control their environment control the world.”

“Then we must stop them,” Tuka said. “My people would never allow them to turn Wareharun into this. How could they do this to such beauty.”

“Stay calm sister,” Lelei said. “We will stop them before they kill our environment. We should get going though.”

“I will catch up with you all in a bit,” Soredin said. “I need to study this to see how urgently we need to worry about it. I fear that this radical change in the environment can be a serious hindrance to our further operation.”

Departing her old mentor, Lelei rushed to the top of the bunker with Tuka. Randy reported in and said they had just cleared out the path ahead and were ready to make the final push to their assigned bunker.

As Randy’s team approached the fortifications, they drew closer arrows from three slits from the hill. In retaliation Frost and Chapman fired a rocket into the bunker, punching a hole in the bunker.

Emerging from the bunker opening were several enemy soldiers. Three of them were mages who began rapidly casting spells while the rest were militia with swords. Yao quickly created a shield while Lelei and Tuka quickly conjure two balls of lightning and hurls them above the enemy.

The two lighting balls shoot out lightning and quickly electrocute the five Darlko Mages and the soldiers to death, allowing the group to advance. 

“You two should hold back for a moment to save your mana,” Randy said. “Let us make sure this complex is fully secured before we move on. I don’t want any surprises right now.”

“That is fine,” Tuka said.

The Sergeant Major team entered the make-shift fortifications. Soon enough, rifle and shotgun fire could be heard from within the trench system. 

“Good thing they went in," Tuka said.

From the top of the hill, the two could see the valley on the other side that led to Darlko. Seeing flashes from the open field, Lelei saw the effects of the Apostles clashing. It was hard to see their movement because of their supranational speed and agility, however, the flashes from their impact and sounds of thunder almost echo above all else. Only the light tank’s weapons rose above that echo with their 105mm cannons.

“I wish I was there to help,” Lelei commented.

“And we would be dead,” Tuka replied. “We all have our fights and that is theirs.”

“I know, but-.”

Suddenly, a large dark ball of energy burst from the sky and fell to the ground toward some Airborne and Legionaries while they were clearing out the fortifications. Lelei quickly cast a barrier above the soldiers which scared them for a moment as they thought it was enemy action. 

The magical attack impacted Lelei’s barrier hard, making it glow bright before disappearing. 

“That was a powerful attack,” Lelei said. “It has to be….”

Suddenly, a bright ball of magical energy appeared and was heading toward them. The shot acted more like a mortar than a traditional spell. Before it impacted their position, Lelei was forced to create another and stronger protective barrier with Tuka and Yao magically reinforcing it.

The magic mortar barrage was brutal, but the trio’s magic barrier managed to withstand the intense barrage. However, as they cancel the barrier to catch their breath from heavy spellcasting, several golem-like large dogs are quickly formed from the surrounding dirt and rocks jump at the group. Randy’s team formed up and opened fire against the incoming foe, slowly taking them out as they approached. 

As everyone feels relief from the sudden attacks, Lelei sees her mentor appear from the rear.

“Is everyone okay?” Soredin asked. “I heard the sudden explosions.” 

“Yes teacher,” Lelei said.

“Good thing you came,” Tuka said. “We are not alone.”

As the smoke disappeared, two figures emerged. 

“Is it?” Tuka asked.

A large, muscular figure stepped on top of the hill. A small feminine figure landed next to him. As the smoke disappeared Lelei could confirm it was them. The ones who destroyed Rondel, destroyed her first home.

“Yes,” Lelei said. “It is Galrik and Kagash.”

“Lelei,” Tuka said.

“Do not stop me,” Lelei boldly said. “I want to kill them.”

“I was not going to stop you. I want to help you. I understand how you feel.”

Recalling that Tuka people were also forced from their homes, she is happy to have sisters to back her up on this that understood her pain. The only concern she had was that she was supposed to save her mana for the Demon God; Valker and Zufmuut. However, retreating now will leave these two to face the Americans and Legionaries alone she decided to fight.

Watch yourself, dear. You can’t lose focus, or they will get the better of you,” Soredin said.

“I know, teacher,” Lelei replied to her old master. “But right now, I’m ready. I’m focused.”

The crystal gems on her gauntlets glowed brightly. Her eyes glow bright blue as she powered up to fight.

 

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

 

4