V22 – Chapter 260 Victory in Falmart
110 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"To my fellow citizens, I am here to announce that the war on Falmart has finally come to an end.

As we saw, the war presented many unique challenges that we never faced before. First contact with an alien civilization and what we deemed fantasy has become a normal part of the universe. And most of all, for the first time our military had deployed to a foreign land that was on another world. With all those new challenges they still thrived.

The aggressors who first attacked Philadelphia have been brought to justice and the regime who opposed us has been overthrown and replaced. The ones who purposely instigated the war, Darlko, had the goal of opening their own Gate to challenge us. They have failed thanks to the quick reaction of our and our ally military forces.

I want to start and say thank you to our NATO and allies on Falmart for their assistance. Thanks to their contributions, they helped prevent a destabilizing situation throughout the heart of Falmart. Famine, civil unrest, ethnic tensions, economic collapse, and the expansion of slavery were all prevented by all our forces. This was a key objective in our plans to have a stable post-war and we will maintain that as our primary goal.

Now that the war is over, a new Era has begun.

Going forward, we will be leaving a multinational force to help maintain security and prosperity throughout the continent. Through this, we will begin and expand on a new effort of scientific and thaumaturgy discovery.

Our nation has always had two sides. When called upon we are willing to fight for what we believe in and rise to that challenge, putting away any differences and become one. However, we are also adventurous. Not just with our military might but with the push of our knowledge and innovation. We will pioneer a new Era of development and prosperity for both worlds…" - President Emily Potts speech to Congress.

*** 

--- Alnus Liberty, Alnus Community ---

Date: September 10th, 2026

 

Sharpe watched the large television that was on the wall as he took a drink from his Alnus Ale. As he watched the President's address, he leaned on a cane, still feeling the burns around his body. Still feeling a small amount of pain from the burn. Even with Karlin's healing ability, there will be some nerve damage for the rest of his life. However, they achieved victory, so he considered it a worthy trade. At least his wife enjoys the new scars.

It has been two weeks since the Battle of Darlko. While it was a victory, it came at a high cost. According to Hardy, once Valker and Zufmuut had been killed the Gods of Uros intervened and won the battle. The Demons were either turned into ash or were repulsed through the Demon Gate.

With the people of Darlko, the Gods decided that the survivors were forced to go through the Gate as punishment. The reason was that they betrayed their world by serving gods from hell so it was decided that they should live under those terms. If they wanted to serve the demons then they shall go to them. Now that Zufmuut was killed, this allowed Hardy and Emroy to take control the of Demon Gate, the citizens were forced through and then the Gate was closed, ending the impending threat.

When the White House learned of this, they decided to take a back seat and classified as much as they could. The current public narrative that was pushed by the government was that once Valker was killed, the city opened terms to NATO forces and agreed they would leave Uros if NATO agreed to stop their aggression. Everything relating to the Gods of Uros being corrupted, the Earth Gods, Michael the Archangel, the Holy Spear, the Gods of Earth, and The Big Man were classified from the general public for the time being.

The speech continued as the President explained her goals for the future, shifting from a military focus to a scientific and exploration one. A new division based around the Vanguard Program will be created to protect Alcatris, the Republic, and the local allies.

As the President continued over the television, Sharpe looked around the bar that everyone had come accustomed to. Vanguard-7, many of the Rose Knights, and other people they have encountered during their adventures.

Pina approached while wearing her silk royal robing. “Good party, Jackson.”

“Thank you,” Sharpe said. “I did set it all up myself.” He then felt a strong elbow nudge from his wife as she corrected him. “Okay, fine. You helped, like, ten percent of it. Maybe eleven.”

“You are right,” Sarah said as she rolled her eyes. “I only just made the appointments. Arrange the crew, and the drinks, set the table, and put up the drapes.”

“Now who is the egotistical one?” Sharpe replied. “Cutting out the Girls tribute in all this.” He then felt a second nudge on the shoulder.

“I can see this marriage will last,” Pina commented.

“At least until the end of the week, that is when rent is due,” Sharpe said before feeling a slap on the arm and being told to knock it off.

“Speaking of marriage,” Sarah said. “I hear that he popped the question?”

Sharpe saw the Empress blush bright red, looking embarrassed before confirming that she was now engaged.

He saw O'iloiat Dusses by the bar, talking to some Rose Knights and Rangers. Of all the Knights he had encountered, he had not spent much time with him; however, found that he and Pina had developed a close relationship. From what he understood that the soon to be Emperor believed in Pina's vision of the future, he was still a independent mind. He stood up to her and the rest of the Rose Knights before a operation in Elies - which was them going to save Fabius and his Legion from the Oprichnina. Pina and her Knights wanted to go to Ticaret to save her brother and was upset that Sharpe overruled her. He correctly pointed out that her people needs come before hers and they went on the mission.

Sharpe is glad that Pina found someone that believed in her but will also challenge her. It is to easy for power to corrupt and if they could balance each other out then the Republic should thrive.

“Congratulations,” Sharpe said. “Do you think he will be able to pull off being Emperor?”

“Probably,” Pina said. “His family name will help with rallying cities to our cause and are well connected within the Senate. This should free me of more pressing matters. Besides, what do you always say, Sarah, behind every great man?”

“Very true,” Sarah says. “Just don’t forget aspirin.”

“I heard, aspirin,” Rory said as she quickly appeared. “Are you talking about me?”

“Yes, Rory,” Sarah said. “Everything revolves around you. From now to the end of time, it is always about you.”

“Thank you for finally understanding your place,” Rory said as she crossed her arms.

Sensing the coming war, Sharpe placed his hand on his wife’s shoulder.

Pina laughed and then said, “Hey Rory. How is it going on with the other Apostles?”

“We are still working on that,” Rory said with a stressful breath. “There have been many clashes on how to go forward. Some want to form an organization that will coordinate our abilities to help with the changing world while others want to go back to the way things were.”

“That is short sighted,” Sarah said. “The world is changing, and they will need to adapt.”

“The divide is mostly between who was brainwashed and who was not,” Rory said. “I do understand there position though. For many of them, all of this was still new. They have no experience or reference point interacting with any of you as I do. For some, an entire decade of their lives are missing so they are still struggling with coming to terms. I do think they will come around; everyone just needs time.”

“You will convince them,” Sharpe said. “Change can be hard and scary but if it is worth it, over time people will fall in line. Just stay confident and committed and they will respect your leadership.”

“Yup,” Rory said. “I do believe that all Apostles should come together and assist in the coming prosperity. No more infighting over the scraps, competing with each other for worshipers. The people deserve better.”

“I can drink to that,” Pina said.

After taking a drink from his beer, Sharpe noticed Lelei approaching with her new boyfriend, Jaleoa Wah Algon. “Staying out of trouble?”

Lelei stopped and looked at Jaleoa. She looked away blushing after the boy winked. “For now… I was wondering if I could have some champagne?”

He couldn’t help himself from chuckling. “I don’t see why not.”

Sarah nudged him on the shoulder again. “She is not twenty-one!”

“She is eighteen,” Sharpe said. “Fought a Demon God and his best warriors. On top of everything else throughout the war. One drink wouldn’t kill her.”

“Well,” Sarah said. “Fine…, but one glass. And stay in eyesight, no hiding in the back.”

“Thank you, Mom and Dad!” Lelei grabbed Jaleoa’s arm and pulled him away.

Feeling a strong protective urge to overcome everything else, Sharpe tried to tell Lelei to stop before Sarah stopped him.

“I agreed it was okay for a little drink,” Sarah said. “She can spend a little time with her boyfriend.”

Pina and Rory looked at each other and laughed.

Unable to stop himself from chuckling, he decided to let it go. That was when he saw Selina quickly walking toward him as she carried his baby son, John, after having a conversation with Lelei. Before she could say anything, he quickly told her no, upsetting her.

“I am fourteen, why cannot I have a drink,” Selina said.

“Because that is still too young,” Sarah said.

“Fine,” Selina said. “But can I go dance with Naminto?”

“Go for it,” Sharpe said. “Go be the life of the party.”

Sarah reached out and grabbed John, holding him in her arms. Selina waved goodbye before dashing away and started dancing with the farmer boy.

“They all grow up so fast,” Sarah commented.

“Yeah,” Sharpe said. “Too quickly.”

Hearing cheering from the other side of the room, Sharpe saw many people patting Andrew on the back. He could only assume they were celebrating that he got the kill shot on the Demon God, killing Valker. The plan almost imploded, however the team came together and stopped the demon who was attacking Andrew. Even when he was being attacked, he remained committed and took the shot with the Holy Spear.

“I will be right back.” He handed John to his wife and left, slowly walking across the room as he was forced to rely on his cane for support. Before reaching the crowd, he was stopped by Gray, Pina’s old mentor. “Hey there.”

“I want to personally thank you for helping to raise and teach Pina,” Gray said. “I never would have been able to mold her to take the throne the way she did.”

“Thank you,” Sharpe said. “She has come a long way in a short period of time. I just hope she is ready for the task at hand.”

 

“I promise she is,” O'iloiat said as he approached. He took Sharpe’s hand and shook it. “We have not had much time to talk but I want to say she talks about you a lot. She has a lot of respect for you, and I can see why. I want to say, your family will always have a place in the capital.”

“Thank you for that,” Sharpe said. “She is a driver so be warned. You will need to keep up.”

“I am learning that,” O'iloiat said. “I just want to assure you that, as Emperor, I won’t get in the way of the changes she wants to implement. I fully support and agree with her agenda and what she fought for so no worry.”

“It is your nation now, not mine,” Sharpe said. “I trust that you two will do the right thing.”

As the two lefts, Sharpe walked over to his team. He saw them with their relationships. Scott with Persia, Frost with his bat girlfriend Mentiv, Alicia with the Rose Knight Jalin. For Andrew, his wife, Hamilton was almost glued to his side, wearing a beautiful dress.

“Hey, sir,” Alicia said. “How is the recovery?"

"Don't bother asking," Frost interjected. "He has been beaten up so many times he probably walked it off."

"Benefits of a thick head," Alicia said.

"Going good," Sharpe said.

"Still," Alicia said. "The balls on you for being bait. You are insane, sir."

"It is easy to be insane when you're not alone," Sharpe said. "Besides, didn't you jump on top of one of them?"

"That was a crazy ride," Alicia said with a hint of pride in her voice.

"Yeah, thank you sir," Andrew said. "Thank you for trusting me that much." He then pulled the M1911 pistol from his holster in an attempt to return it.

Sharpe saw the pistol as he remember his formal mentor, Major Harper. During a bad mission in North Korea, Harper was shot and handed the pistol to him. He held onto it ever sense. He always wondered why Harper did that and now he understood. It had nothing to do with the pistol but the man behind it. Andrew is a good man with a lot of potential. After talking with Colonel Yang, it was agreed to propose to Andrew that he should enroll into Officer School. To help lead the new Vanguard Division.

"No," Sharpe said. "You can keep it. Time for me to move on and you have earned it."

"Thanks, boss," Andrew said.

"Does that mean you are retiring?" Hamilton asked.

Sharpe gave her a glare and then laughed. "I am only in my thirties; I have a long time to go."

"Oh, good," Hamilton said. "I do not know if we could tolerate you being around all the time. Being jobless and all."

"What do you mean we?" Sharpe asked and then realized she meant the wives and the rest of the Girls in general. "Never mind, I get it. I wouldn't want to spoil your good time."

Sharpe then looked toward Andrew. "I just feel like it's time to move on from the past and look forward."

Alicia held out her beer along with the group. After a quick but loud Hooah, they all took a drink. Sharpe noticed a proud nod from Andrew, showing the level of respect the two had for each other.

Glancing around the room, Sharpe saw Noriko in a fine purple dress as she held her son. She was with one of his soldiers, James from Vanguard-5. The two had become a couple right before the battle and are now mingling with the guests.

His wife informed him what happened. The Oprichinma tried to kidnap Tenchi - reminding everyone that while the war was over, there were still remnants to deal with. With James saving the two until Krysist showed up, there was no debate that he was the perfect fit for Noriko, and it thrilled him that she finally started breaking out of her trauma and moving on with her life.

Noticing Johnson and Bozes talking with Bailey and Delilah, Sharpe decided to join his two buddies.

“Hey Sharpe,” Johnson said.

“I see you finally came over to us?” Bailey stated, giving him a strange look before Delilah told him to knock it off.

Chuckling, Sharpe responded, “What are you guys talking about?”

“Trying to decide who should get the movie deal,” Bailey said.

“In other words, guys being dumb,” Bozes commented.

“They have been debating this topic for fifteen minutes,” Delilah added. “I have no idea why this is important.”

“Because,” Sharpe said. “Whoever wins could get millions of dollars in that deal.”

Sharpe watched the two women's eyes widen as there eyes turned into dollar signs. They suddenly started debating amongst themselves, saying how much jewelry, clothing, shoes and type of house they could have.

“Maybe we should sell tickets to this fight,” Bailey said. “Would make more money than a movie deal.”

“You are forgetting one key detail,” Sharpe said. “If you want a Tropic Thunder movie, you have to fake being in combat.”

“I knew you were going to bring that up,” Johnson said.

The three laughed and chugged their beers before a drink. The two women looked at each other and laughed.

“Anyway, have you guys figured out what you are going to do?” Sharpe said. “Delilah, are you going to Tyuule’s new kingdom?”

“No, I am not,” Delilah said. “A lot of bunnies are going to the new kingdom, however, for my daughters, I think it is best if they learn your ways as that is where the world is going.”

“However,” Bailey added. “I do want us to buy a second home there at some point. I want the kids to know their people and history, and I think Tyuule wouldn’t mind having a friend come by here and there.”

“What about the army?” Bozes asked. “Are you staying in?”

“For now, yes,” Bailey said. “In five years, I might reconsider but right now, I don’t see the point in stopping. Too much in flux to drop out now.”

“That is one way of looking at it,” Johnson said. “I will be leaving the Army. Fighting Demons was enough for my career. Going to go to Sadera as a defense consultant, help with the rebuild effort.”

“Yup,” Bozes said. “I like Alnus, but Sadera is my home and with Pina stepping into her leadership role she will need me more than ever.” She then placed her hand on her man arm. “We are going to start our family there.”

“Oh, congratulations. So, you’re finally going to start that family of yours,” Sharpe asked.

“What makes you think we haven’t started already?” Johnson commented, making Bozes turn bright red and get elbowed in the shoulder.

“We decided to put off the domestic stuff until the war ended,” Johnson said. “And here we are.”

“Congratulations on the four of you,” Sharpe said. “That sounds like the story of everyone, and I get it. I expect Lelei to be settling down very soon, which she should. She has seen enough war and her mind is more valuable in the library.”

“I still remember when we picked her up,” Johnson said. “She has grown a lot since then, but she should enjoy life. Not this soldiering.”

“Agreed,” Sharpe said.

“Sir,” Bozes said.

“Thank you but you can drop the Sirs now,” Sharpe said.

 

Bozes nodded with a smile. “Jackson. I personally want to say thank you for taking an interest in Pina. I was very suspicious at the time but glad I was wrong. My best friend deserved everything that is coming to her.”

“Pina is a tough nut,” Sharpe said. “She was lucky to have strong friends. All of you Rose Knights should take more credit for giving her the support she needed. She always knew she could count on you.”

“Speaking of support, what is going on with your friend Beefeater? I noticed she has been with the Colonel since coming back.”

The two girls giggled as the guys were left clueless.

“She has had a crush on him for a long time now, but she found it hard to interact with him as he worked in the CP more than the front. Once he came back from Darlko, she confessed her feelings and I guess they hooked up ever since.”

“The joys of post-war,” Bailey said.

Hearing a loud commission on the other side of the bar, they looked over and saw an arm-wrestling match unfolding. On one side of the table was Sofia cheering on the head Rondel Knight, Reldom. On the other side was Krysist that was being cheered on by Malena. Frayen just stood there, watching the match, acting as the referee.

“I think I better intervene,” Sharpe said. “Before World War Three starts.”

Heading over, Sharpe was able to reach the match as it was starting. The two men went at it with all their might as their fists leaned back and forth. The two women standing right over them, cheering, and yelling at their men to try harder and win.

While Sharpe was not that surprised by Malena, Sofia was another story. When she joined the team, she had a lot of hatred within her heart from what happened to her home city. It took the events of Rondel to finally break that mindset when the previous Head Knight of Rondel assisted Darlko to bring death to the city. Reldom had to face him in battle and Sofia assisted which turned the fight to their favor. He assumed she couldn't watch as someone else city was destroyed and realized why they were there.

After a minute, Krysist smirked and slammed his opponent’s hand down.

“I can’t believe you got beat by a one-handed man,” Sofia said.

“You have youth,” Krysist said. “I have experience. One day, you might be able to fight a one-arm man.”

“Two out of three,” Reldmon said as the two started round two.

Malena looked over and saw Sharpe. “Hello there, I did not hear you approach.”

“It is pretty loud in here,” Sharpe said. “Glad to see his spirit still strong.”

“Yeah,” Malena said. “After everything he's been through, I am shocked that his attitude is this positive.”

“It is because of that,” Frayen injected. “Every part of his life was surviving impossible battles. Either in the gladiator arena or as a legionary. In that life you either overcome or die. No middle ground.”

“I hate that,” Malena said. “I completely hate that. That is not living and I am going to fix that.”

“That is what my wife said,” Sharpe said. “Still ‘fixing’ that. Men like us, we are fighters to the day we die.”

“Speaking of fighting, how did you two meet?” Malena asked. “Not many men would risk their lives to help each other. He was an enemy general and you assisted in his rescue and trusted each other against the Demons.”

“Because he is a massive pain in the ass,” Sharpe said.

“When we first met, Krysists heard a rumor about Sharpe,” Frayen explained. “The man who saved Italica and assaulted Sadera. Of course, that was a challenge my master needed to face.”

“In short,” Sharpe said. “He kidnapped Tuka’s people, faked being a rebel against the Empire and 'freed' Tuka and found us. We snuck into the mighty fortress of Legrath; however, it was a trap.”

“My master wanted to have a private duel with him,” Frayen said.

“Of course he did,” Malena said, rolling her eyes.

“As your kind says,” Frayen said. “The rest is history. They had many more battles together, many more duels and with each fight, they respected each other more.”

“That is one way of saying that,” Krysist said as he stood up from his second victory. He placed his hand on Sharpe’s shoulder and added, “I noticed that you forgot the part where I defeated you.”

Sharpe looked to his good old friend and saw this smirk of pride on his face. What he said was true and in that fight, the General had the upper hand. However, Sharpe also had a duel up his sleeve.

“Remember Havcristen?” Sharpe asked. “You kidnapped my wife after I beat you at the CP.”

The pride in Krysist's eyes quickly vanished as he realized what was about to happen. The look of ‘I hate you’ took over the General face as he heard his bunny girlfriend's voice.

“What!?” Malena's ears bursted high as her eyes went from joy to anger. “You kidnapped Sarah!? Even for you, that is low. Bastard.”

“What?” Krysist said. “It worked out in the end. This coward wouldn’t have married her if I didn’t.”

Malena gave the General a glare before hitting him a few times, stating that he crossed a line.

“Hey Malena,” Delilah said as she approached. “You want to show these boys what bunny strength is all about?”

“We are not done. We will be finishing this later tonight!” Malena said while shooting Krysist a glare before turning around to sit down at the table.

Sharpe tried to hold back his laughter as Krysist merely shook his head.

A moment of silence soon fell between the two warriors as they watched the two Bunnies arm wrestle. As the crowd cheered for their side, Sharpe asked, “So. Speaking of being a coward.”

“I said that in jest,” Krysist said. “I did not realize you were that sensitive.”

“Not me,” Sharpe said. “Just calling you out on your BS.”

“BS?”

“BS. Bullshit.”

“I do not understand.”

“Yes, you do,” Sharpe boldly stated. “We talked about that hillside. She likes you. She looks up and wants your life-like strength.”

Krysist remained silent for a moment. “You are correct.”

“So, why don’t you?” Sharpe asked. “You're not going to find a lady every day who could handle you.”

“What Frayen said was true. I have no regrets but my life is a bastard life. Every moment was survival with a spear aiming for my back.”

“Story of all men. The truth is, you were not wrong about that moment being what led to Sarah and I hooking up. It forced me to get over my insecurities and move on. I also was stuck in the past and I had to move on to defeat you and everyone else in battle.”

“And for me,” Krysist said. “You are going to tell me that what made me who I am is no longer enough.”

“Correct.”

Krysist took a deep breath and looked at his armless arm, coming to terms with his life and destiny. “I never realized how easy war was compared to this.”

“You have no idea how true that statement is. But it is worth it.”

The two looked at each other and shook hands.

“It has been an honor being your opponent,” Krysist said.

“It has been an honor being yours,” Sharpe said.

Feeling a tug on his jacket, Sharpe saw Rory. “What is up?”

“Now that you two are done bromancing, do you mind talking with Taylin?” Rory asked.

Looking past the Apostle, he saw Taylin sitting alone at a table. Rory invited him as an attempt to help bridge the divide between the ones who sided with the enemy and the ones who supported the Terrans, starting with the one who sided with the former Empire.

While Sharpe understood what Rory was doing, he wondered if this was the appropriate time. He then remembered what happened at the final battle and that Taylin saved him. On the other hand, that Apostle has caused a lot of problems for NATO, his team, and for himself. Like all wars, it would take time to move on from seeing each other as enemies.

Taking a deep breath, Sharpe said, “I guess it is better now than never.”

“What?” Rory asked.

“Never mind,” Sharpe said. “Can you get us two beers?”

Seeing a big smile on Rory’s face, she dashed off to fetch them a drink. Sharpe walked over to the table and noticed that Taylin was not having a good time. After taking a seat, the two looked at each other in silence.

For Sharpe, he found himself not hating the boy and from Taylin's eyes, he believes the feeling was mutual. When the two met thirteen months ago they had had many clashes, in war and ideology.

Rory approached and set two large glasses of beer on the table. She then warned them that the war was over and then dashed off.

Sharpe couldn’t help himself but shake his head as he took a drink from his glass. “You know, she is a strange one.”

“You should show more respect,” Taylin said.

“Once she grows another inch then I will think about it,” Sharpe replied.

“You know we cannot grow taller.”

“I know man.” Sharpe noticed that Taylin had not taken a drink yet. “Speaking of respect, if I was you, I would take a drink before she takes it personally.”

He watched as Taylin grabbed the glass and chugged three-quarters of it down without effort, feeling a bit inadequate from the sight. “You know…, there is this one thing that I have always hated about Apostles.”

“That is?”

“Your ability to drink three times more than us before getting drunk. I have always been jealous of that.”

“Well, we are better,” Taylin said.

“Whatever helps you sleep at night,” Sharpe replied.

“Why are you here, Sharpe? If you do not want to talk, that is okay.”

“To be honest, there is not much to talk about. Too much has happened to be able to speak in a single conversation.”

Noticing that Taylin finished his beer already, he looked down and saw that he drank less than a quarter. “But there is one thing I do want to talk about.” He grabbed his glass and slid it to the boy. “Thank you for saving my life.”

Carefully watching the Apostle. The cosmetic blue eyes glanced toward the drink. The boy then reached out and took the drink, finishing it in one go. Showing that there is no distrust between the two.

Chuckling, Sharpe stood up. “Alright. Let's go join the party.”

“I honestly do not want to,” Taylin said.

“Do you think I want to?” Sharpe asked. “I hate parties but people like us have to do it for them. That is part of your - tranquility - right?”

Taking an annoyed breath, Taylin stood up and followed Sharpe back to the victory party.

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

 

 

4