Denial and Anger
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although it felt like an eternity had passed by. It has only been a few hours since Shinji was brought to the hospital and everyone gathered in front of the emergency room. The atmosphere was incredibly tense and no one could bear to stare at the ER for too long. Nobody spoke or even acknowledged the situation. All they did was blankly stare at the 'Surgery in progress' sign lit above the doorway or the rainy window outside until a certain chubby student bandaged around his head and torso was the last one to finally arrive as if he was forcefully dragging his body in chains and short of breath.

"I…I finally found you guys!"

"Sei! How did you get here?! You should be resting back at Arcadia or your wounds will reopen!"

"I was nearby when you ordered the cleanup girls to fix the collateral damage back at school. I begged them to tag me along and sneaked out while they were busy having trouble breaking that weird ice and transporting our captured assailant n a popsicle. No way I could just sit and watch after hearing you report and seeing what happened there. How's Sensei?"

"…"

Barely showing any presence. Setsuna was pale in shock and shaken beyond words. Tightly hugging her knees over the seat and hiding her face in between and her pupils were devoid of color. Aika was absent minded ever since Shinji passed out and time simply flew past her as she remained gazing at the rainy weather outside through the window.

"He lost so much blood it induced cardiac arrest while still in the ambulance. They had to resuscitate him back twice just on the way here…"

Fenrir reluctantly answered what nobody was able to say. Sei coiled his hand into a fist after hearing it. The wolf took a long pause before continuing:

"…They immediately took him to the ER the moment we arrived with five doctors in tow."

"Arghh! It's all my fault‼ Why do I always have to be so damn lame and weak?!"

Sei cries out and slams his fist against the wall.

"…Playing the blame game now isn't going to help anyone Sei-Sei. Let's try not bother the other visitors…"

Despite the sadness in his tone. Bink sill tried to comfort his grieving friend. Lena then followed up on their explanation after gesturing an apology to one of the nurses who came to check on the loud thud from one of the other rooms.

"I contacted his brother to speed up the process as fast he possibly could. I imagine he should be here soon too…"

Crow and Beatrice looked at each other and then at the unconscious Nyamo the latter was patting on her lap before stating:

"Sigh…Guess we'll have to find a convenient excuse and explain things to him without exposing us or raise any suspicions. It's not going to be easy."

"…But I'm afraid Akira and his mother might overhear it from Sasori-San and be on their way here as well."

"…Things might get complicated if those two get involved wouldn't it?"

"…Yeah. I even called their father just in case and have him intervene if needed be. I do not know what he plans to do but I overheard him telling their sister to stop drop the salmon and bring one of his disposable phones right away before he hung up."

"Oi! Isn't that just going to make things even more of a mess for-"

Cutting off what Karasu was about to say. The sign under the door turned off with a ring and two doctors immediately exited ER so all of them turn their attention towards them. It was a man his senior eyes, seemingly in his sixties and another rookie who presumably less than half his age. Maybe due to the wisdom and job experience that comes with said age. He sounded very laid-back who unlike his junior was calmly explaining something on the clipboard to his peer while gently pulling on his greyed beard despite all the pressure and eyes glued to him the moment they stepped outside.

"Are any of you family with the patient?"

"I…"

Aika still distraught hesitated to answer as if the words were stuck in her throat. She then lowered her gaze and stared at her feet. Lena shook her head after seeing that and sighed before answering for her and petting her head:

"…I'm his wife. Those two are our daughters. The rest of us are or were his students at some point. We were all worried when we heard about his accident and came ASAP."

"…"

Lena stated while pointing also at the Setsuna right behind her, who everyone expected the latter to react in some manner but remained quiet, tightly gripping her knees instead. The doctor sounded dubious about her answer and took a good look around at everyone before shrugging as he checked a box on their clipboard.

"…I see. Welp. We usually have strict protocols for these sort of situations and a no pet's policy… but guess I'll overlook that and won't pry given the patient's condition and the orders from top brass."

"Did the surgery succeeded? How long would It will take for him to recover?"

Full of expectation with the question. Setsuna stood up and raised her head. Revealing the sullen and somber look in her bloodshot eyes before it turned into a relieved smile.

But the old doctor raises an eyebrow as if baffled by Agnicia's questions and was quick to shoot those hopes down.

"…You're kidding right? Him only being on a coma right now after all that defies reason and everything I ever witnessed through my many years of experience in the field! Not only the patient has lost way too much blood. He has a hole puncturing through his stomach the size of a coconut and his face has fifth degree burns all over for crying out loud! That's not all! Several of his organs are somehow either about to enter In complete failure, frozen solid or covered in one of the worst cases of frostbite I have ever seen! Just what the hell that man was doing?!"

They then looked at the second doctor for his opinion who timidly answered:

"Personally, the mere fact the patient is still breathing even on life support somehow is already a miracle in and of itself. But all of you should prepare for the worst though. We very much doubt he'll make it through the night."

"No way…Sensei is…He's…"

His firm announcement caused Setsuna to sink into even deeper despair than earlier. Causing her to drop onto her knees like a broken doll and hide her face in her hands as she began tear up once again. Everyone but Aika was very close to do the same. The junior doctor then let on his personal thoughts to slip.

"Honestly the situation surrounding the patient is strange enough. The chief doctor still didn't give us his name even after so many procedures..."

"…Tsunaboshi. His name is Tsunaboshi Shinjirou."

After carefully considering it for half a minute and Lena nodding in approval. Bink mulled his name while covering his face in his palm. The eyes on the senior physician widened in bewilderment once he heard his name.

"Oh! So it really IS a Tsunaboshi! I knew his face looked familiar! Now I get why so many of his registers here always came up blank and the chief doctor ordered absolute secrecy. Geez! Just how many more live threatening situations do they have end up on before being satisfied? They always end creating so much paperwork and tension for us to go through. So much trouble and harassment complaints from the nurses and other patients too..."

"You can try all the extra proceedings and surgeries you want. Including experimental ones 'off the record'. I'll cover all of the expenses and take full responsibility. I'm willing to try everything at this point."

"Well in that case…While I certainly don't mind if this costs me and lead to an early retirement. I gotta need to ask you for some documentation in that case. I am a bit of a stickler for the rules and the Tsunaboshi's never makes our life here easy. So humor me a bit will ya?"

"Of cour-."

"Master wait."

Usami cuts off his master as she was about to hand over the ID and credit card on her lavish and expensive looking wallet bursting with bills:

"If both the signature or your name ends leaking publicly. The relationship between the two of you could easily be traced and brought back to light. That would be likely be one of the last things Sensei would ever want."

"What about mine? The Sekihara name has all the money and power t spare to make anything happen!"

"Somehow I very much doubt your mother would agree to this without asking anything in return. She could even end try using it as leverage against his brother and if their father finds out. It won't end well for anyone involved."

"…Then I'll sign under the company name and say its philanthropic work. I don't care if the shareholders have anything say about it."

"Sigh. Don't be so reckless master. Here. Let me sign under my name and use my personal account then. That way if the info does leak. I could just state that I am one of his former students helping his mentor out."

"Eh?"

Lena was surprised with Usami's out of pocket suggestion.

"I originally made it exclusively should that sort of stuff happened with you anyway Master. I know you get tunnel vision whenever Sensei is involved but there is a fine difference between bold and stupid. Take a glance at the shirtless bear behind me if you want a perfect example of that."

"Hey. Wanna take this outside Bunnyboy? "

"Put on a shirt first musclebrain. This is a private hospital. Not a circus."

"Grrr‼"

They started to bicker and butting heads until they were pulled apart by Crow and Bink.

"…You really don't mind Usami-Kun?"

"I have no need for frivolous material gratification. Master happiness is my happiness."

"For once I agree with you Bunnyboy. Which is why I'm not letting you hog all the spotlight for yourself. Here, we splitting the expenses 50%-50%."

Belgrim leans on their shoulder and flashing his bank balance on his smartphone.

"...That's a lot of zeroes. I'm surprised you didn't squandered it over your bar tab mingling with coworkers, brawl damages, endless shipment of Kevlar shirts and speeding tickets."

"Screw you! You only get tickets if they manage to pull you over!”

“Sigh…Please remind me to send the police department an apology letter and a fruit basket tomorrow in case I forget Master…”

Usami groaned as he dramatically facepalmed himself.

 “Besides, I saved up some dough in mind carrying the same thought process you did! Besides I was sharing drinks with Sensei at his place over the weekend and he helped me pull a few strings in order to take out a small portion of my retirement money early."

"Why would you ever do that? The tax and interest rates get much higher for private figures, many of your benefits are taken away and even the amount your pay accrues in the end gets cut in less than half!"

"Sensei helped me clear a few of my debts, taught me how to turn a decent profit from investments and pay back for the shirt all shirts I had and will torn in the future. We were also going to surprise everyone by pimping up our ride. He even taught me how modify the limo horn sounds with an app."

"...Is that why the vehicle wouldn't stop sensually moaning incessantly in the garage the other day? Here I thought you finally courted a woman..."

"I don't mind you if modify the car but at least let me in on it. That sounds a lot of fun!"

"Right?! Wait till you see what we did with the radiator and-"

"Please don't indulge this idiot Master. Having this mam on the wheel with his careless driving and lack of direction is already enough source of migraines for everyone involved…"

"Nee-Sama…"

"Lena-San…"

 

Despite the banter sounding upbeat and flippantly as possible. Both Beatrice and Bink noticed that their smiles never reached their eyes. In fact, Lena eyes were akin of a dead fish similarly to Setsuna's. The dam over her feelings could break in front of the them at any moment if she didn't force herself to act that way. As if they were forgotten and left behind by their pace. The old doctor stepped in without knowing how to intrude on their conversation.

"Err…The proceedings…"

"Oh right. Ahem. My apologies. Lead the way. Ah! Almost forgot."

Before recomposing himself before everyone and coughing a bit. Usami shoves a bright green candy wrapper in the now motionless Setsuna's hand and closed in her palm. 'Wasabi Flavored Gum' written on it.

"I found this the other day while buying coffee and a bunch energy drinks for Master on a convenience store. Thought you'd like it. Sens-…Lena-San told me before you love this sort of stuff."

"…"

Usami took a deep look at Lena's then Sei's face and nodded with a brief rare benevolent smile before following the doctors to the elevator onto the tenth floor. Once he was gone. Crow stood up after gently petting Nyamo.

"I need go back and check on Ayumu. Want me to search his place while I'm there?"

"I'm going with you. I'm certain there is a lot of things Sensei would like to remain hidden. I'd like to believe he will find a way to cheat out death and suddenly wake up to greet us like nothing happened. But we should...take every outcome into account."

"…"

Lena reluctantly said biting her lip and clenching her hands into a fist. Her comment caused the mood to become silent once again.

"Hahaha…"

Except that perhaps due to the pressure and nerves finally getting to her. Something snapped inside Aika's heart as the corners of her mouth rose and she proceed to maniacally laugh.

"HAHAHA‼! I can't believe it! That Pig was finally gutted! The nightmare was brief yet so long! But now it's finally over! Nyamo will return to me!"

"Ai-Chan! What're you saying?!"

"You didn't hear me the first time your pathetic excuse of a demon? I said that man is finally dead! I can go back to be a Magical Girl again and there's one less thrash in society too! No more stains weighting our family either!"

"You can't be serious!"

"I should've been the one asking you! Why become so sad by the death of a nobody like him?!"

Since everyone was focused on Aika sudden tonal shift. No noticed that the ears on Setsuna began to twitch while she remained motionless on the ground and hrt hands began to tremble.

"That nobody sacrificed himself for you! Who's the real demon here?!"

"Say whatever you want but I never asked to be saved of by the likes of him! Not even once! The fact I had to be saved by him time and time again fills me with nothing but shame and disgust!"

"That's-"

"But I suppose you're right! I guess I should be grateful that he was useful for once in his life! Hahaha‼"

"YOU‼‼"

Unable to withstand her not only insulting the man she loved but also the one who stood up for them any longer. Setsuna with a sharp glare, grit her teeth and bolted towards Aika with her arm raised high in and her hand open.

*Tap! Tap! Tap!*

*Thud!*

*CRASSSSHHHH‼!*

The loud noise echoed in the hospital as if the entire building shook followed by an unsettling silence as every nurse and patient who could still walk left their rooms to check on the ruckus.

It was so sudden no else knew to react. Aika suddenly was struck by a powerful impact and had her body spiraled through the air before powerfully slamming her back against the wall at the very end of the hallway. Her right cheek completely swollen and a numbness from pain coursed through her head and body.

If you told what that had transpired to anyone at this very moment to without them having witnessed for themselves. Nobody would've believed you.

Aika eyes were wide open as her brain barely could process what happened. Even Setsuna was stunned and sitting on the floor trying to understand. Before she was able to slap her friend. Someone had pulled her back by wrist as she fell on her butt and punched Aika in the face with everything she had. The one responsible? It was the same black and blonde haired woman who everyone knew well that Aika and all Magical Girls looked up her the most…

"Le…Lena…San…"

Lena was huffing and her hand too swollen by the tremendous force she put into her bloody fist which trembled with fury. Her entire body shook with anger.

Crow had both his palms open beside them he stared at the transparent crack left in the air for a brief second before anyone had noticed it was even there and dissipated.

(That crazy hag! She punched Aika for real! A few milliseconds late in putting up that barrier and she could've snapped her jaw in half!)

"Nee-Sama! What are you-"

Before Beatrice was able step in. Belgrim stood in front of her and calmly shook his head. As if saying 'not yet.' Through his eyes.

"…Shut up. What the hell do would you know?! So what he has his flaws?! What human being doesn't?!"

"…"

"…I once used to think the same thing as you. I too had reservations and a warped perspective surrounding that man. Thinking he was just a meddlesome man with nothing better to do other than grind your gears and annoy you to no end. But then I was fortunately able to grasp the lengths that man will go for the sake of anyone but himself!"

She spoke while staring at her fist whilst reminiscing about something before taking a deep breath and continue berating Aika:

"…However, by the time I realized it. It was already too late. No matter what I could possibly do to rectify my mistakes now. I can never take back the things I said or did to him back then. So…I'll ask you this since you stood beside him much longer than me. Do you really understand the consequences of your words and actions?!"

"I…"

Before she was able to answer her question. Lena looked over shoulder and faced Setsuna as they cowered under Lena's overwhelming gaze and presence.

"Same goes for you! You do the complete opposite! Overlooking all of his flaws! Thinking he's perfect when you have no idea if the hoops that man will go through every day making sure to keep any expectations that people may or may not even have! DID ANY OF YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO LEARN THE REAL TSUNABOSHI SHINJIROU?!!"

"Sensei's real…"

As Setsuna mulled over her passionate words. Lena turned back to Aika and slowly walked forward as tears fell from her eyes and raises her hand at her again.

 

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? ‼! ITS BECAUSE OF PETTY PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME SENSEI WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO-"

"That's enough Sis‼"

"Lena-San I understand what you're saying! I really really do! But this isn't the proper time or place to convey it!"

As Aika closed her eyes in instinctual fear. Lena's sister held one of her arms while Belgrim grabbed the other as Bink and Sei jumped out to held her by the waist to stop her while Crow alongside Karasu used all their shadows to discreetly restrain her ankles before she pounced at Aika a second time with a blood curling shout.

"Tsk!"

Clicking her tongue and regaining her senses after they let go of her. Lena pulled a cigar of the same brand her teacher tended to have and stared at her surroundings with such sharp gaze of a former dangerous delinquent that the curious bystanders quickly shifted and they either escaped back into their rooms or ran towards the staircases.

"There's two more things bothering me."

Lena calmly continued but without repressing her disdain at Aika as she flipped her lighter and Aika was able to pull herself off the wall she crashed against. Her body shape remained firmly against the concrete where she landed.

"You said that with him dead. Nyamo would've returned to you…"

Aika noticed her role model was staring at her the very same way she does her uncle. Even her soft manner of speech and mannerisms regressed to her old ways.

"…Who told you such lie?"

"Eh? B-B-But I-"

"Let me guess. You decided to believe that on your own assumption was right? How arrogant can you get? I thought my eye for people was good but guess I must've misjudged you."

"…"

She then turned their attention to the tabby cat on the seat feebly twitching in her sleep uncomfortably.

"Does that sound like someone who looks fine to you? There is much we still do not understand about your situation. For all we know she could go back to turn dormant and never return.”

(Not to mention the possibility she might be Nozomi’s lifeline…)

"Wha…"

"Sensei might truly be an idiot who had committed many sins in the past. Some of which he likely will never share with anyone. Not even you or me and probably carry it to his grave. But maybe because of said idiocy he is gentle and caring enough to never let anyone be. He is many things but a coward is definitely not one of them. If he really dies, you will never able to tell him how much you hate him. Like I said, Shinjirou is no coward. He won't run away from you and will be more than happy to hear what you think of him at the end of the day, even if it hurts him."

{If... if you really want me to die and leave you be. Grow stronger. Strong enough...to stand on your own two feet and sever yourself from me. I'll be more than happy to consider your wish once that happens okay?}

"…"

{…It might take a while until Kittypaws goes back to you but I hope this experience at least made it clear that you need to keep that temper in check before you get yourself killed. Much as I would love to. I'm not going to be around to hold your hand all your life alright?}

Her uncle's last words ringed inside her mind.

"If even after all this. you really cannot find an inkling of reason or a shred of empathy as to why he is almost dead thanks to watching over your sorry asses. Forget about being Magical Girl ever again right this instant. You' don't deserve to be one and are not welcome there."

"…"

"In fact. It should've been you lying on that bed."

"‼!"

Unable to muster any words and pressured to a boiling point. Aika stands up and runs away towards the stairs next to her. Nobody went after her immediately.

Setsuna wordlessly hands over Shinjirou's precious necktie to Lena before chasing after her friend. Sei tried to go after her but Fenrir gently pulled the hem on his pants and Yale moved in front of him to prevent it so he decided to sit back on the chair again after noticing the serious look on the wolf's eyes as he groaned and touched his bandaged chest in pain.

"…Don't you think you went too far sis?"

"Someone had to knock sense into their heads for them to get it and Sensei was always too soft too on em. It's now too late for regrets anyway."

"Still. Don't you think it's was a bit too childish of you to just lash out your frustrations at two young impressionable kids? Even if justified Lena-San?"

"...Fair point Sei. But when I looked at Aika eyes. I couldn't help but see my old self in them and not proud to admit I absolutely lost my temper there. Guess I haven't matured as much as I would've hoped since-"

"KYAA‼! THERE'S A FEROUCIOUS GRIZZLY BEAR STANDING BY THE ENTRANCE‼"

"Hm?"

Lena turned towards the window nearby and check the sudden commotion happening outside hospital doorway.

"Th-That's!"

Her eyes widened in shock and the cigar on her mouth fell on the floor as she suddenly started coughing.

"*cough* *cough* Sorry! Bea! Bink! Sei! You three watch over Sensei and call us if anything changes! Belgrim-San! Find Usami and get the car ready! Let him I'll need you two immediately after he wrapped things up with that doctor! Hide! You go on ahead! I'll meet you at his place later!"

"Yes Ma'am!"

"Ye-Yeah…"

Before they were able to respond she sped towards the hallway into the panic happening outside and they curiously stared at what Lena had saw in that window earlier.

There was very familiar people outside alongside a grizzly bear in casual clothes standing on two legs like a person holding several signs written with a marker on one paw. Akira and Makoto were being barred entering from the hospital by said bear, Mr. Tsun, Sasori and what appears to be an elderly man difficult to discern his appearance thanks to the heavy rain under the dark cover of the night with all their might as the two pleaded the four to let them in.

{…Unlike a certain idiot you may have heard of, there's still people who would still feel sad about your death.}

The words Shinjirou told Crow on the day they first met popped in his mind.

(Was this what you meant back then? Sensei? Because if that's the case, then maybe you are wrong as well…)

****

After over an hour passed after she had ran away. Aika was alone on her knees and tightly hugging her own shoulders in the middle of the hospital parking lot as she starred at the pitch-black moonless sky above without a single star. Completely soaked to the bone thanks to the downpour that only worsened with time after she ran all over the courtyard. Her school uniform was dirty, reeking with sweat and stained with mud after running for so long all day.

Underneath the pouring rain. Setsuna eventually found her and silently stood still a few meters away from her. Knowing the presence behind her without need to look back. Aika lowered her head hoping to mask her own tears under the rainwater and asked derisively:

"…What? You ran after me just so you could smack me in the face too since Lena-Sama literally beat you to the punch?"

"…Yeah."

Without answering and still having her hands locked around her shoulders. Aika did a one eighty while dragging her knees against the hard cold floor and staring at the ground still.

"...Then do it. Gets this over with already!"

"…"

Aika then closed her eyes once more as Setsuna slowly approached her and raised her hand into a fist. However instead of a hit. She suddenly felt the warmth of someone arms around her back and droplets that mismatched the ones from the rain's temperature. Right in front of her, she could also hear the sounds of someone sniffling.

"Uuu…UWAAAHHHH‼!"

Setsuna wailing desperate cries and the anxiety crumbled Aika's resolve and she could no longer tell under the heavy rain whether it was Setsuna tears or her own that befell their knees as she hugged her back…

As they tightly embraced one another. Shinji's wallet which Ayumu had entrusted Setsuna earlier this morning fell out of her pocket half open. Right in the middle of the opened partition was a neatly folded and worn photograph of both her and Aika sitting on his shoulders while Akira hiding behind his leg when they were kids giving peace signs. All three smiling right alongside him….

 

0