Chapter 9
57 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alarick POV

 

Changing out of wolf form, I left my mate there and knew I had a few things to do as I got dressed. I kissed her and walked out, planning to give her a bodyguard first thing.

My pal, Harou, was a quiet shifter, and reliable. He had done a few scouts and even brought in a human or two a few years ago. He was like a Shifter Assassin! Even I, the manly Alpha, thought he was cool!

But he was now going to be a protector, specifically for my own mate.

Calling out to him and having said this now, I watched as the quiet man went to stay closer to my house.

Since we had halted our contact as much as possible with the Humans, we had older homes that even needed repair. But, for the most part, the biggest residence was still able to contain a lot of my family. It was a three-story house that only used to have the main family in it, but after my father had gone, I let others stay there instead.

Otherwise, there were a few homes and then over the last couple of years we had even made our own huts.

Strangely, the huts got used more then some of the empty houses. The huts were made mostly of mud and straw, making it smell and look natural, but the most interesting fact was, the new pups slept better in the huts, a lot better than the man-made homes.

That theory was really just an accident, purely because I wanted to give it a shot of making our own homes. Then, some of the younger pups would end up in there every now and again, surprising a lot of the adults. They had let their wolves take them there upon wanting to sleep and that was all there was to it. And that’s how we found out that sleeping on dirt or grass, seemed to help us sleep better. So, we have three huts now and they are opened to whomever wants them…Unless they are already occupied.

 

My intention at the moment, when it comes to living in this pack, was to have more huts and not worry too much about the deteriorating man-made houses. The pack funds were bulging with money, because of my father’s efforts and selling off jewellery that we didn’t need, yet, I don’t really care much for money…I saw what it did to not only just my father, but my sister as well. My mother, being Luna and staying within the pack most of the time, was able to see what was happening because she hadn’t interfered much into the financial part of things.

But even though I didn’t care much for money, I also knew that it still came in handy, making me realize that I will always have to have funds coming in!

As it is, the water pipes had a problem a month ago, vexing me into already wanting to turn them off! But, seriously! Getting pipes fixed was that much money…Just rip my balls off while you’re at it!

It made me become more serious about our water problem, and I really wanted it organized!

Taking the hot springs close to the sea, and above The Strikers Den, is something I felt I had to do. Even though, just recently, I had moved my boundary back away from it…My plans, though, had not changed! I will take those hot springs!

 

When the water pipes were going to be stopped and then not used anymore, I had wanted the hot springs to bathe, but, luckily, we already had a well for normal water. Sadly though, they weren’t completely ready yet, to depend on the well and hot springs, so the water pipes had to be fixed for now.

“Boss.”

I turned to see Due, a female who was competing in the spar, “Due, how are ya?”

“I’m great! I’ve got a whole new trick to show you!” Due said, showing a big smile to me.

“Was it about the turn that I showed you last month?” I asked, remembering a move I had shown to the ladies. It wasn’t easy, I guess I wanted to see if anyone could learn it.

“I did it! But…I can’t seem to do it again…” Due grumbled upon finishing her sentence.

I laughed and shook my head, “I won’t give my secret away yet, after the spar I’ll tell you why you might not be able to do it.”

Due moved her body from side to side in dismay, she had been one of the young ladies that had turned eighteen recently.

She was really unhappy to not have found herself the mate of the Alpha.

Since she was sixteen, she had wanted to be by his side…To be Luna!

“No need to get upset. Keep practicing.” I said, shaking my head to her trying to flirt with me, even when she wanted to look as though she wasn’t.

I had normally just nodded, but now, I felt like I was just missing my mate more and more.

I stopped suddenly, blinking with wide eyes…I’m whipped!

 

Shaking my head, to get out of my thoughts, I tried to focus. I had been doing alright…I mean she was right here! In my pack! How could I already miss her!

This is ridiculous!

Walking into a house, that we now call the elders den, I found Raulin and Sabassa. Raulin had been here from beginning to end, whereas Sabassa hadn’t.

“Boss.” A few chorused as I leisurely sat down and got comfortable.

“How’s the water in the north coming along?” I asked.

“It’s not working, what we do…Isn’t enough.” Raulin stated.

I raised my eyebrows at him, “I’m not doing it their way, it’s our way or nothing!”

“It would be simpler…”

“No!” I said, determinedly. I wasn’t going to outlaw Human and human technology, and then change my mind!

“Fine! Then we probably won’t be able to melt the ice and have it drinkable.” Raulin said, defeated.

I sighed, “The scouts?”

“Found nothing! There’s nothing else!”

I put a hand through my hair and put my feet up on the table, “It’s not a problem.”

“I have an idea.” Sabassa said. She had been initiated into the pack at least a year ago and was one of the oldest wolves that I had met! She was also a great supporter to me wanting the pack to be closer to nature.

“Sabassa.” I said, enticing her to continue.

“I remember when I was young, that more wells, meant more water.”

I laughed, I had suggested more wells earlier, yet Raulin had to make a big deal about drinking the ice…Now, he was complaining!

“Then…”

“Boss…” Sabassa said, interrupting me, “Sorry…Could I be so bold to say that we have the well closer to the source?”

I looked at her and started to nod. “Yeah, I don’t care if they aren’t in the heart of the pack, just as long as they are in our boundaries.”

Sabassa smiled and said, “Then I can start?”

“Sure, grab a few of the teen pups to help you out.” I said. Bout fuckin time! We’d been onto this for ages! Today was my lucky day!

 

Once Sabassa left, Raulin spoke once again, “Sorry boss, I honestly thought it would have been better and easier.”

I put my hands under my head and sigh, “We all make mistakes, but at least we know now. Don’t worry about it gramps.”

“…I heard you found her.” Raulin said.

I look at him and smiled, “Yeah, she’s here.”

“…To be so close to the spar?” He said, a little dismayed.

“The spar will go on as planned.” I said, not at all worried. Even though I’d found my mate, why should the spar stop? Honestly, I wanted to see the girls fight anyway!

We had a few fighters teaching the pups and all, but I needed them to show their strengths anyway. If they were good, I’d consider putting them as enforcers or something, at least until they found their mates. Hopefully some of them learnt a thing or two while sparring!

“So, you will keep an eye out for a better Luna?” Raulin simply stated.

I growled, this old man was getting on my nerves once again, “My other half will always be my other half! I will not change her status! The spar is continuing for the beta female position. I can’t possibly handle it if Randolph doesn’t mate soon!”

Raulin sighed and went silent. He may have been here since the beginning, but that was only because he wasn’t the smartest of Shifters. Actually, a big reason I let him stay, was because he wasn’t all that bright. He was old though, so all I could do is let him be an elder. We did have our differences, but he was pretty dam loyal, I’ll give him that!

“Then how about letting your mate be entered into the spar?”

His words made me growl again and I got up, startling him.

He wasn’t as scared of me as he was when I had first awoken the Alpha within me, as I had never actually hurt him.

Without speaking another word, I started to leave, when I found Sully timidly holding papers just inside the door.

 

“Sully?” I asked, walking up to him. He had come into the pack when he found his mate here. I had never found out why he was so timid, but he never posed any kind of threat the entire time he’d been here. His mate, Duko, was an old pal of mine and I was really happy for them. But, boy did I not understand them. One was huge, being an enforcer, and one was like a scared little bunny…Yeah, still don’t get it!

Sully lifted up the papers to me and I played with his blonde hair while I took it. I had tried a few times to have him not scared of me, but after a while, nothing had changed. Seriously, I wasn’t that bad! Yeah…I’ve killed a few Shifters and yell my ass off sometimes but come on…Like me! You damned little bunny!

Duko told me a while ago that that was just the way he was, so I just had to make sure he knows that he can relax in my company. Still, I’m glad it wasn’t just me, as I did notice he was like that to everyone, but…Sigh.

“Hey! Stop touching my mate!” Duko yelled, running up to me.

I put my hand up and away from Sully, the little rabbit. “All good, he just gave me papers, see!?”

Duko was one of the most possessive people I’d met. I wasn’t too sure if it was because Sully looked and acted weak, or because that was just how Duko was. I knew from ages ago, that Alpha’s were very protective, but seeing Duko like this, made me question things. Then, I found out, that Duko had Alpha blood in him from a few generations back. It wasn’t as strong as mine, but it was there…That…Possessiveness…

Thinking about it now, I guess I would be annoyed if someone touched my mate too. I even let out a slight growl just thinking about it…And hearing that tiny little growl, startled me!

Putting my hand to my forehead and shaking it, I was at a loss!

Sully only smiled his biggest smiles at Duko and went to him easily. But this was nothing special…As I’d seen it heaps of times…

 

Looking at the papers, as they walked away, I realized that a few more things have broken down.

Since we no longer had electricity, we had gotten rid of many things that required electricity to work. We had one generator, that the last computer would connect to and left-over phones, but otherwise we had been living with candles that we made ourselves or just dealt with the dark.

Our sleeping hours had drastically changed, as we seemed to sleep earlier and wake early now because of this.

But we were running out of candles and one of the fires that heated up hot water, was running out of wood, among a few other things…

As I walked back towards my house, I got someone to go out to get more wood and then got someone to find out what materials we needed to make more candles. Luckily, we didn’t totally depend on them, as sometimes we would have a bonfire in the middle of our pack and even sleep out there all together, near the fire. To be honest, I prefer the bonfires and wouldn’t even mind having an extra one a week. I want the pack to stay close together and sleeping all in the same area had grown a few bonds that I never thought would happen. The pups loved it the most, as they trotted to many of the adults, and through that, the adults would drink and yap about anything…

With this in mind, I got a few more people to go get even more wood, as I wondered what day to put this extra bonfire on…

So, the candles that we still had would last for at least another week or two, but I was one of those people that never wanted to get into a predicament of having nothing left!

It was indeed a busy life, now that things had changed to this extent. So much had to be done!

Walking into my room, I had food that I’d picked up quickly from the kitchen and put it down on my own crafted desk and couldn’t help but smile at the mess!

I found my mate almost entirely covered by the sheets from the bed and her tail was wagging around happily.

Little grunting noises were heard, and I could only smile to her amusing act. She was just…So damned adorable!

1