A Night Beyond the Stars
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Laurel thought back to what seemed like a few days ago when she and Aleksandr Markus were wandering around the forests, their first day at the encampment that was the away post for recruits,  with her Pharent that she has named Frankenstein. The baby dragon that had accepted her, tottering along behind them and coo cooing for them to slow down. They talked for hours and no matter how awkward the silence might have seemed to others, it wasn't to them. They sat down on a fallen tree and looked out over the world before them, both content with the themselves and the moment.

He had reached for her hand, and she did not refuse him, in fact she snuggled even closer to him. She laid her head upon his shoulder and it felt ...it felt like home.

It was this revelation that made her sit up and she had to say something, she stumbled at first and her words tumbled out so fast that he had to calm her down. He touched her face and brushed the stray hair from her eyes, before speaking.

"It is alright," He smiles warmly, "I know what you are feeling and I feel it too."

"Please don't get me wrong, I love your brother, but ...." She stands up and paces as fast as she is talking, "But he isn't you." She had stopped and looked him right in the eye. "I don't know why, but when I am with you, I feel like I am home, like I belong with you, more so than I ever felt with Yuri. Those first days we spent at the Genealogy and even before that....when I first met you. I know it is wrong, I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I do." She felt frustrated and helpless at this moment and he just laughed.

"Why are you laughing?" She throws her hands up, "It isn't funny. I promised myself to your brother, but now..."

He looks at her, a serious expression crosses his face and he knew that he needed to tell her. He shakes his head and begins, "I ...I bonded with you, I marked you as mine. That is part of the reason for the way you feel."

"You what?"

"We mark our .."

"I know about that, Yuri told me..." She reaches for him, he was looking at his hands in his lap and could not make eye contact with her, "I am not angry," She starts, "In fact, I feel closer to you than I ever did or will with your brother." She blushes brightly, "All I can think of is kissing you."

"Then, why don't we?" He offers and as she watches he starts to smile.

"Uh mmm." The Admiral was behind them clearing his throat, "I apologize for the interruption, but I only have one cabin available and seeing as how the two of you are bonded...I do not think that it should be a problem."

"Well, actually it is," Laurel tells him, "We may be bonded, but we are not married and I do not think it a good idea to sleep in the same place ..."

The Admiral waves his hand, "That is not a problem either..." he motions for them to walk down the path.

Down a long path as it became dark, they walked, she knew that there were trees around them, but she could see little else. Then after maybe ten or fifteen minutes it suddenly cleared and she could see down over the edge of the mountain and there were beautiful lights below, all of them hanging from sailing vessels. It looked like a party of some kind.

"Look!" She tells Aleksandr Markus, "It's beautiful!"

They hurry along and there was everyone from this post and four other boats from other nearby posts, one of the boats had a large mast in the center and it was decorated all the way to the top. It was magnificent. She laughed and wandered from ship to ship, she greeted everyone with ease and made everyone feel warm and welcome.

"Now, Tahla could you ask your sister Nadda to join us?" the Admiral inquires.

"Of course, I already called her and Sanlio and the Teller will be here soon." She replied. "They are so good together, aren't they?"

"Yes, yes they are. So many of us saw it the moment they met," He answers, "Now it is up to us to ensure that Yuri and the rest of the family is not allowed to interfere, or all will be lost."

"I have been approved to return to Earth and stay there not far from Laurel in a clinic. Sanlio and Trusk have seen to it, however," She whispers, "Trusk may be coming along too. No one messes with him, not even Dimitri Romanov."

"What would make it even better would be if Kasdac would go too."

"Well." Tahla begins.

"As a matter of fact, I am." they hear this very deep masculine voice answer behind them.

They turn to find the very man himself standing there in his golden robes, head bald and a scarf tied around to keep his skin warm. He looked like a shaman or a priest and held himself as one would. He was so well respected, that Winston would never ever cross him, and that is what they were planning on.

"Kasdac, it is so good to see you."

"Where is she?"

Tahla points to an area where many people are sitting, a baby dragon stumbling trying to get into someone's lap caught his attention. he watches as the young woman reaches down and hauls the creature into her lap and soothes the little thing. She had a pouch on her hip, he could assume at this point considering that she pulled a bottle of dragon milk from somewhere. 

"Oh no," she shuffles through her pouch, "I am out of dried fish."

One of the recruits gets up and walks away, not long after he returns with a bag full of dried fish for the baby dragon, who gobbles them like chicken tenders. They all laugh at the baby and help to ease it into a societal setting by taking turns petting it and talking to it. Kasdac reaches over the girl at this point and begins to pet the little dragon and that is when the others notice who is.

"Prime Elder!" They swiftly rise and bow graciously.

"No need for that, I am here for leisure, not for official duties." He waves them to their seats. "This is a time of joy and celebration, let us all be happy and help this young creature become more accustomed to having people around. And.....and celebrate two people finding love." He adds. 

"Agreed." Laurel replies, "Hello, I am Laurel, Earthling," She giggles. "This is Frankenstein and this little thing, well I think I shall call him Draco."

"Draco, Draconus, Dragon, not very imaginative," Kasdac responds, "But it will do."

"What is the name of this area then?" Laurel asks.

"River Gale." He smiles.

"Then he shall be Draco of River Gale." Laurel cuddles the scaly baby and it coos happily. 

"Watch his talons."

"I have placed leather like material over them," She looks up at Kasdac, "He cannot hurt me again."

"AGAIN?!" He reaches for her, "What does she mean again?"

Aleksandr Markus stops him," She is alright, I assure you." Laurel pulls up her sleeve and they show him the cut, "It is not as bad as you might think, and she has been.."

"TAHLA!"

"Yes?"

"The dragon injured."

"Yes, Prime Elder, I have seen to it," Tahla begins. "It will be fine, and the head of the dragon research will be here tomorrow with his dragon to tend to the claws so that none are injured again."

"Very well." 

It was much later, beneath the the brightest of stars that a man came and called them forth, and Laurel held Aleksandr Markus in her arms. " I know that this is not how it is done, but I want to hold you and look up at the stars."

He laughs,"How is it normally done?"

"We hold hands," She tells him, "But I think this is so much better." 

The officiant begins, "Dearly beloved we are gathered here tonight...."

 

 

1