Chapter 2: The Trenches
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yes Sir,” Royce replied with a clear respectful tone. He kept his back straight, his hands still and made sure to keep a respectful posture.

“Private Nightle, explain why you did not retreat when the order was given. Explain why private Timber had to risk his life to save yours!” Captain Grave shouted, he was stood right next to Royce’s ear, who couldn’t help but flinch at the noise.

“Sir, I don’t know, I was too taken aback by the sight, Sir,” Royce replied in the same respectful tone whilst his eyes remained focused straight ahead.

Before the captain could continue his shouting, a third voice interrupted them. “That’ll be enough Captain. It's not every day one sees an eclipse and he was hardly the only one taken aback by it,” Major Hintbury spoke calmly as he looked up from his desk and the many papers stacked on it.

“An entire coordinated push halted over an eclipse, folly. With some luck, the Germans are just as confused as our command. Private Nightle return to your Corporal,” the major spoke as he dismissed Royce. It was clear the conversation was far from over between the captain and major but they had no reason to allow a private to listen in and participate in such a discussion, especially since Royce had already shared his version of the events.

“Yes sir,” Royce spoke as he saluted his superiors and marched towards the exit of the small bunker that had been built into the walls of the communication trench. He wasted no time in making his way out of the tunnel and past the guards at the entrance. With that done it was his duty to return to his position.

He was in the communication trenches, some distance from the front lines but fortunately, he had some idea of where to go. After checking he still had all his possessions as well as a quick brush off of his uniform, he made his way down the trench. He stuck on the right side as to not get in the way of the passing traffic of soldiers.

The trench was filled with other soldiers just like him, some on their way to the front, others passing messages to and from command. It was not an easy journey given the sloppy mud of the trench but at least there were no bodies this far back.

After pushing his rifle in as to not poke anyone's eye out of with it, he made a left down the next trench. Once there he squished past a passing Australian soldier and made his way down towards the support trench.

It didn’t take him long to march down this connecting trench and squeeze past any soldiers trying to make their way up it. This was one of many systems that connected to the two trenches after all and the majority of the soldiers in this area were in the front trenches gearing up for another attack.

After a few passing greetings to the next soldier coming through, Royce found himself in the support trench, near the kitchens to be exact, the food wasn’t exactly luxurious and Royce barely liked any of it but when you got hungry any food would do. Still, the smell was much nicer than anywhere on the front and so after one last whiff of cooked food, Royce continued past the cooking area and into the trench that connected to the front.

This area was much more dangerous, the ground was much more slippy from all the soldiers that patrolled here and more than once Royce had to steady himself on the trench walls. Sheet covered corpses lined the sides of the trench and it was an effort to not stand on any as Royce rushed to rejoin his unit.

The misty air did little to help his visibility in the matter, but at least it would provide them cover once they went over the top. After a few more minutes of trench traversing, Royce found himself on the front lines with no-mans land just over the top. Countless soldiers of many different nations filled the trench, all waiting for the signal. Most were stood against the trench wall with fear, anticipation or resentment on their faces. Some however seemed more relaxed and were sat talking to their buddies, smoking or generally trying to find some cheer in this horrible place.

“Anyone know where Lance Corporal Pyre is?” Royce asked to a soldier who was busy trying to get his helmet to stay on tight.

“You’re in luck mate, just a bit further along,” the soldier spoke in his strong regional accent as he nodded in the direction of the lance corporal.

“Thank you,” Royce replied as he took off in search of the man that was in charge of his small section of the British army. Pyre was a decent enough man Royce felt and was reliable even when they went over the top.

After another quick journey down the trench, Royce found his unit, his buddies were grouped together near the trench wall all chatting whilst the lance corporal was standing just to one side staring at his watch.

“Private Nightle glad you could make it, having a quick holiday were we. Fall in line,” Lance Corporal Pyre spoke as he glanced up from his watch before soon turning his attention back onto it. His words however did catch the attention of the other privates including Royce’s friend Tommy who was busy chatting away to the other soldiers.

“Yes sir,” Roye spoke as he saluted and quickly rushed to stand by his friends.

“Miss me,” he added as he joined the small huddle and exchanged simple greetings and some pats on the back with the other soldiers.

“What did they want then?” asked Private Smith, he was a short man in his early twenties with a simple face and the tiniest bit of hair on his chin.

“Just what I saw, nothing exciting,” Royce responded as the other five soldiers nodded as if expecting that answer.

“Aye, we were just talking about that, heard a lot of explanations, some were utter bollocks though,” Private Gibson said as he smoked a cigarette before offering one to the rest of the group. He was a thin man with a long face with gave him quite a gaunt look.

“I heard that mist was just some natural gas or new german weapon and the red colour was just a trick of the light in the eclipse,” added Private Riston, a coal miner in his thirties who had eagerly joined the fight to get out of the mines, the man had looked unhealthy even before entering the trenches.

“Above my paygrade lad but I heard we're going back over soon,” spoke Private Taylor as he nervously chewed the end of his fingers. The sight only added to the man's mousy appearance.

“That we are so get ready lads,” interrupted the lance corporal as he put his watch away and gestured for the soldiers to line up against the trench and prepare themselves.

They all did so, some with more apprehension than others. Royce moved to the front and just like last time stood next to his friend, he gave him a nod of reassurance before double-checking his rifle.

“No artillery?” asked Tommy nervously.

“Don’t want to give the fritz any warning, not when this mist will give you some concealment,” spoke the lance corporal as if he’d been expecting the question.

“Thanks for pulling me back in last time, I owe you,” Royce spoke as he attempted to distract Tommy in conversation. Still, he was truly grateful for Tommy’s action, by standing still in an entranced state he made himself an easy target.

I've got to be more careful next time, Royce thought as he waited for Tommy’s reply.

“Don't mention it, besides what are friends for. Anyhow thank Frank as well, he helped,” Tommy replied as the apprehension of battle became clearer on his face.

“Don’t worry about it, could try losing some weight though, heavy fucker aren't you,” spoke Private Gibson or Frank as the common soldiers called him. His words brought a much-needed laugh to the tense soldiers that awaited the signal to charge.

“Ready!” Lance Corporal Pyre shouted as his words instantly ended any conversations within range.

“We got this,” Royce whispered reassuring one last time as the whistle sounded and the infantry charged.

1