Chapter 1 – It’s Not a Dream
321 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 1
 
 
My shoulders ached as I woke, the smell of pine and damp earth invading my nose. As the lethargy of sleep receded from my mind, alarm bells began to ring. Opening my eyes I found myself lying under a small rock outcropping in the middle of a dense forest. “The hell...”
 
Looking down at myself I didn't see any obvious wounds, nor was I bound in any way. The only concerning thing about my attire was that I looked like I was cosplaying a character from one of the MMOs I used to enjoy, back before adulthood sucked all the fun out of life. I had fingerless gloves with lacquered leather bracers, a tight leather cuirass, and knee-length boots. At my side was a sword, one I'd spent a whole month grinding just to afford in the player marketplace. The sword– White Fang, was a prized relic forged from the fang of an elder white dragon. Only about a thousand players ever received one, honestly I was surprised someone had been willing to sell it.
 
“So... I'm a video game character now,” I pinched the bridge of my nose, the pain of it feeling all too real. “Maybe I died and was reincarnated?” I was a fan of novels that followed the individuals who got reincarnated into game-like worlds, perhaps I'd had the same happen to me?
 
“Let's see, in the novels it's always status, right?” I held my breath and stood still, waiting for some game-like window to appear.
 
“Status! Status!! Status!!!”
 
Okay, no more of that. Sighing I drew my sword, the blade froze the air around it creating a small cloud of frigid fog around itself. I could feel the power inside the blade seeping into me, crawling inside my arm, frankly it was terrifying to feel. Narrowing my eyes on a tree not far from me, I swung my sword, causing a giant icicle to form and puncture a hole in the tree.
 
“Well, looks like you're just a deadly as I remember you being,” I grinned, sheathing my blade. With White Fang on my side, it would be hard for someone to get the better of me, unless of course they caught me by surprise. Something that wouldn't be possible if I could use my character's search ability.
 
The moment I thought of the ability I felt a wave of power leave my body, traveling out through the trees. A moment later a screeching cacophony of information was fed into my brain causing a powerful headache to spawn. “Ah... fuck... this isn't fun.”
 
Though it hurt, I was still able to make use of the information search had brought me. I wasn't far from the road, and there was several individuals ganging up on only a few. I couldn't really make out who was the aggressor, but it was easy to tell they were hostile to one another.
 
“I could stay back... but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't help.” Taking a deep breath I channeled my energy to my legs, envisioning the fleet footed ability this character once had. The moment I felt my energies coalesce in my legs I took off running, zigzagging through the trees like a bolt of lightning.
 
I halted at the forest's edge, examining the scene in front of me. Sure enough, there were nearly a dozen creatures, goblins, ganging up on a small merchant wagon. The wagon's guards seemed to have already been incapacitated leaving the elderly merchant and his young daughter to a dastardly fate.
 
Drawing my sword I rushed from the trees, swinging my blade to send massive icicles to impale several of the goblins. By the time they realized what was happening, I'd closed the gap between us, slicing up the remaining goblins with White Fang's unfathomably sharp edge. Less than a minute after I'd begun my attack, all dozen goblins lay dead.
 
“You alright?” I asked turning to the merchant who was presently in the process of calming his distraught daughter.
 
“We're fine... Thank you so much, g-give me a moment I swear I'll reward you.”
 
“Take all the time you need,” I replied walking over to where one of their guards laid, his body covered in jagged wounds from sharp makeshift blades. His wasn't the first body I'd seen dead, you could say I was exceptionally unlucky with the number of dead bodies I was capable of finding. However, I'd never seen one so mangled before, one so coated in blood, smelling of death and iron. The character I'd been reincarnated as had been built to be a combat-focused paladin, meaning I had a few healing abilities up my sleeve, but none of them would help the man before me. I didn't have anything that could bring back the dead.
 
“We'll need to light a fire to send him off,” The merchant noted, moving to stand beside me. “Forgive me for asking but did you and Allen know one another?”
 
“Hmm...” I chewed my lip, of course we didn't know each other, I didn't know anyone, but I wasn't exactly willing to go saying that. “He looks familiar, like someone I might have known when I was very young, but I can't be sure.”
 
“Forgive my asking, My name is Alex Stoneweaver, might I have your name Miss?”
 
Name? What was this character's name? If I was able to open the character sheet I'd have remembered, but since I couldn't I was drawing a serious blank. After a few seconds of thought, I decided to just give up and use my real name, not like it mattered to anyone here. “Elizabeth, but you can call me Liz if you like.”
 
“Miss Elizabeth, once again I can't thank you enough for saving our lives. Willow and I are in your debt, anything you require just speak of it and I'll attempt to get it for you.”
 
“Hmm... Well, if it wouldn't be too much, could I ask that you provide me with housing? I currently don't have a home to return to, and I don't want to live out here in the woods all alone forever.”
 
“A girl as young as you has no family to return to?” Alex gazed at me wide-eyed before shaking his head, as if he was admonishing himself for saying anything. “Of course you can stay with us, you're our hero, we'll treat you like family.”
 
Why did he say 'as young as you?' I scratched my nose as I pondered what Alex had said until finally, it hit me. The character I now embodied was part of a rare bloodline that had to be unlocked before it could even be chosen. The heaven-touched, a race of unaging cherubic people who always appeared childlike when compared to the other races. 
 
A cold chill went down my spine as I staggered out of Alex's way so he could begin preparations for Allen's funeral pyre. Not only do I currently look like a child to everyone, I'm going to look like this FOREVER. If the heaven-touched existed in this world, perhaps I could salvage the rest of my life, but if they didn't... I didn't even want to think about it.
 
 
 
 
9