THE ORPHANS
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Year 2077.

Noah was an orphan. His parents died while he was 3 years old. The authorities could not contact any of his relatives as they had recently migrated to Athena Corp region. Yes Corps, remember No Nations, No Boundaries post Pandemic Era. This is the time of Corps. The Corps took control of regions and that's where people from different localities, cultures and diversities came to live. One good thing now is that there is no racial, color or gender discrimination.

 

But that's only one part. The world is divided into a new discrimination - EVOs and DREGs.

 

At the age of 20, if one is still not able to raise his EQ above 10, he is a trash of the society, an outcast - A DREG.

 

Though 80% EVOs had an average EQ of 18, they believed themselves to be superior.

 

The EVOs who could cross the EQ-50 mark were revered as powerful evolved beings. Above that, it's too early to be spoken of.

 

Noah had a low EQ…. or rather the lowest among all EVOs - 11.

He is an EVO but everyone saw him as Trash. He lives in an orphanage, with several other children who lost their parents. Living is hard for him. He has to earn his livelihood by doing chores and odd jobs so that he can get a meal and a place to sleep while also attending school.

 

Stats -

Name - Noah (Alias, Original - Unknown)

Age - 16

Gender - M

Family - Orphan

Profession - Student

Job - NA

EQ - 11

Ability Power - NA

Strengths - Intelligence

Weakness - Absent-Minded, Antisocial, Lazy, Self-Indulgent

 

This guy could not raise his EQ and eventually faded in history. Well, that should have been the case had he not received a call from the future. Things are about to change. Don’t leave your front row seats. The show is about to begin.

Let’s head back to the main storyline.

 

 “Why me?” shouted Noah as he panicked and sat up. He was still in shock as he tried to process the information he just received. Opened and drank a full bottle of water.

 

After a few panting breaths, he realized it was just a dream. But what a wild dream he thought. As he removed his DreamGear, he thought how realistic the dream was.

 

DreamGear? The question on your mind, right? 

 

Let’s set some points straight. It is the year 2077. Technology has advanced. Humans live in Smart Cities where everything is operated by AI and controlled by Humans. There was an absolute balance in this combo of man and machine.

 

Also, humans can set up what to dream or store their dream at a subconscious level in a gadget called DreamGear. They can also play it afterwards. It’s not some big helmet like Nerve Gear for full dive in immersive gaming, just a wireless earplug with some attachments.

 

Anyways, back to our Noah.

 

“When did I put in such a dream? Nothing like that recently released as I recall”, Noah kept on thinking. “Will have to check DreamGear for any technical issues”.

 

“What are you blabbering buddy...waaah”, yawned Melv. Melvin Barret was the roommate of Noah. Kids these days don’t use their full name, rather an alias they give themselves. So Melv was his alias.

 

Stats -

Name - Melv (Alias, Original - Melvin Barret)

Age - 16

Gender - M

Family - Orphan

Profession - Student

Job - NA

EQ - 12

Ability Power - Dung beetle

Strengths - Heavyweight

Weakness - Food, Sleep, Heights, Water

 

In one line, a below-average fat guy with no fighting ability whatsoever.

 

“It’s only 6 in the morning. Lemme sleep.”

 

“You are sleeping over your head dumbass, roll over and see it’s already 9. We have to reach school in half an hour.”, shouted Noah.

 

For normal people, school was a place to learn, make friends and have fun. But for people like Noah and Melv, it was a punishment. They were regarded as Trash and looked down upon by almost everybody except the Principal, who was a blind guy.

 

Jokes apart. Still had to attend school as they needed graduation papers to get a job. With their low EQ, it was hard even though.

 

...

 

Rufus Beck was a wise man, once a successful war strategist who had seen the Pandemic Era up close. However, he lost his vision in an accident. Though advanced AI prosthetics were able to restore his vision, he decided to retire and open an institution. RedRock Academy the golden opportunity he created for EVO students who wanted a life of fame and prosperity. The Corps and Guilds respected Principal Rufus Beck, for a man of his caliber, was not easily found. They also recruited the top graduates from the academy.

 

This was most EVO students' goal, except for Noah and Melv. They never stood a chance in their current state. Both of them were in the weakest class of the Freshman Year - Delta class.

A total of 3 Grades each having 4 classes - Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta class.

 

Students were placed in classes, in order of their score as per the entrance exam. However, each year the Top 3 students of lower classes were given an opportunity to enter their corresponding upper class by competing with their last 3 students in reverse order.

 

The rank in each class depended on 3 assessments - 

Aptitude Test - Written Exam of all Theoretical subjects

Field Training - Extra Assignments outside the academy

Battle Simulation - Deep Dive simulation of Battle situation and Tactical Warfare.

 

“Today’s Mock Battle will be where you will see my new ability. Just wait:”, boasted Ton. 

 

“Ton is the best in Delta class”, praised Kaisha. She is Ton’s girlfriend at the present time.. 

“But will you leave me when you beat the trash in Gamma class? I wanna go as well.”

 

Ton replied with a smirk on his face, “We have 3 slots, so that won’t be a problem. With your EQ we will manage 2 slots. The last one will be for the one who will serve me better in the next few days...Hahaha.” All other students started to appease Ton, like a puppy who found a new owner.

 

“Look, the Trash buddies are here. It’s so nice for them. They have no competition, as no one would compete for the last 2 spots of Delta....” laughed Kaisha and the other classmates as Noah and Melv entered the class. 

 

“Mind your own business”, uttered Melv angrily. 

“We can beat you any day.”

 

“Huh. You dare shout back at me? You poor trash.” Kaisha got angry.

 

“Don’t be harsh on them. They will bounce back for sure...” said Ton who had a devious look on his face. “Let’s give them a chance at least. So why don’t you two fight us in the mock battle today or I will beat you black and blue after school”, said Ton punching his desk. 

 

Melv realized he spoke out of anger and it will cost them dearly. 

Noah was not responding to any of the tauntings. He concentrated deeply on investigating what’s wrong with his DreamGear.

 

Melv anxiously went to Noah and shook him like a tree. 

“Did you hear what he said? They will beat me black and blue. My handsome face…”

“How will I show off in front of the girls?”

 

“Who asked you to be a blabbermouth? You only reap what you sow.”

“Bro, I am your only roommate. How can you do that to me? You will fight with Ton and Kaisha right.” Melv made a babyface hard to ignore.

 

“Do you remember how much you owe me? Dumbnut.”

“Every time you run your mouth and land in trouble, I have to pull you out.”

 

Melv was almost on the verge of crying. Noah replied after a pause.

“But let’s see what they got.” 

 

Hence, it was decided that in today’s Mock Battle, the main attraction is -

Ton/Kaisha vs Noah/Melv.

 

*Year 2077.

Current Status -

EVO - check

Corps - check

FreNations - Time left approx 2 years

Noah is still Trash - check

 

A lot of work to do then.

 

 

...

0