THE CHALLENGE
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So many unanswered questions. Let’s go through them one at a time.

 

Silver Token is the currency being used in the year 2077. The Pandemic Era had disrupted all administrations and their national monetary policies. Their fall started a huge crisis among citizens due to the different currency exchange values. The Corps had found a way to solve this crisis situation by implementing one currency rule. The silver token had replaced all other currencies by date. History books suggest there were paper currencies in historic times, people can’t even imagine what it is like to not use digital currency. Also, it should be mentioned that Silver Token is for the common mass, Corps use a higher value currency the Gold Token, which is equivalent to 100K ST. It is hard for common people to even see one.

 

Remember the Bet?

It was initiated by Noah. He won from all who betted against him, which was almost everyone. 

A profit of 4200 ST. It was a huge amount for orphans like Noah and Melv.

 

Leaving the academy, Noah rushed towards the old part of the city literally pulling Melv.

 

“Are you gonna catch the next shuttle to the Moon? Slow down. What’s the rush? And where are we going?” Melv kept on saying as he was being dragged by Noah.

 

“We have arrived.” A relieved Noah sighed as he was about to enter The Golden Times.

The Golden Times was an antique shop located at one corner of the old street. Paper lanterns were hung at each corner of the shop.

 

“What’s this old shop? Looks like it popped out of some history book.” Wondered Melv.

 

Both of them entered the antique shop. There were various items from old times. Some strange-looking vases, dishes and paper paintings filled the hall. Going further inside they could see some old circuit boards, chips and devices stored by the corner. Noah kept on checking each item very carefully.

 

“Did you find the thing you are looking for, young man?” A wheezy voice asked. The owner of the antique shop was Old man Li, that is what everyone called him. He was way over 80 years old and highly believed in his forefather’s tradition and culture. 

 

“Noah, look! A fossil is talking to us. Let’s run from this haunted house...” uttered a trembling Melv, hiding behind Noah.

 

“Do you have any other circuit board better than this?” asked Noah, showing one circuit board and ignoring Melv totally.

 

“This is the only one I could gather. Though it is old, it works perfectly. If you want something advanced, you have to get them from the online shops maintained by Corps.”

 

“No this will do. I will just have to reroute the power from here maybe and re-modulate…”

 

“Can you not be the geek you are for once. Who cares what you wanna do with it? Buy it and let’s leave. I don’t wanna stay a second more in this haunted house with this fossil. I am getting creeps looking at him.”.

 

Noah paid Old Man Li and left.

 

“Interesting. You don’t see a young man like him to be interested in old stuff. Looks like I will be seeing him quite often.” uttered an amused Old Man Li.

 

“I wanna celebrate. I beat Ton, the strongest guy of Delta...Hahahah….I want fried chicken legs, popcorn, wedges, fries, orange soda and more fried chicken legs…”

“You can eat later. We move to our next stop. It will be fun.”

 

Noah dragged Melv to their next location. Though Noah was very excited for the things he would find here, Melv looked dumbstruck. Wherever his eyes went he could only see tons and tons of junk scrap.

 

“Are you kidding me? What Spaceship will you find from this junk?”

“Parts. I am looking for parts.”

 

Noah kept on searching here and there. He gathered a lot of parts that he believed to be useful. One specific item caught his eye. A skateboard with a propulsion system.

 

Melv didn’t even move an inch from his place. There was not a single soul in the scrapyard. It seemed to him more like a graveyard of scraps who were watching him with angry eyes. An eerie wind blew from time to time making noises of the junk scraps. Melv would shiver at each noise. He sat at the gates trembling like a scared cat waiting for Noah to return. Finally, Noah paid for the scarps at an AI-controlled counter and returned. 

 

“Can you stay that way a bit more? I wanna take a nice snap. It will be a hit among your newly acquired fan following...” laughed an amused Noah.

 

“Stop talking nonsense. This place is scarier than that haunted house.”

“Is it over or you have some more shopping list.”

 

“There is one last place I wanna visit. But you should cover your face first. It’s not a friendly place. Also, please don’t speak to anyone.”

“As if I would,” Melv replied.

 

This last stop of their shopping spree was none other than The Black Market. It is the only place to get unregistered items or smuggled goods. The price depends upon the negotiation. It may sometimes be valued by other means than ST. If someone makes a problem here, they are thrown into the Underground Arena where they have to fight for their lives. Lots of people gather here daily, but mostly with hidden identities. It is even a place for secret meetings and many more.

 

The thing Noah wanted was a Core Reactor for a modular power supply. If you want to buy it from a Corp Shop, you need a registration of a Mech and pay a huge amount as well. But here smuggled cores are sold at a low cost. The quality may vary though.

 

In the back alley of a certain area, he knew a shop owner who could supply him the core he needed. It was crowded that day. Some punks were occupying the store. Noah avoided them and inquired about the core. It was available and the price was 2000 ST, which Noah could afford. 

 

While the deal was being made, one guy bumped into Melv and they both fell down. Melv got angry in no time.

 

“Did you leave your eyes back at home? Or is it that you are blind?” Melv questioned angrily.

“Who’s blind ya maggot?” said Qax who fell down.

“A small puppy has lost his home...“ uttered Pax looking at Melv’s academy uniform.

 

Pax and Qax were twin brothers and members of a punk team who operated in the Black Market Arena. They incidentally looked for trouble everywhere as they were EQ 19. No one would dare to offend them in this part of town.

 

Looking at Noah buying something from the shop owner. He approached and said, “What ya buying boy? Ah, a core? How much ya?”

 

The shop owner implied 2K ST and he didn’t want any trouble.

“What trouble? Give it to me. 3K ST”, said Pax.

The shop owner hesitated looking at Noah.

“I was buying it for 2K ST. Can you find another one?” replied Noah who had only 350 ST left.

 

“Another one. Why not this one eh? Won’t ya sell it to me? Do ya have the gall to do business here?” as Pax pushed the Shop Owner. The shop owner had no option but to sell it to Pax.

 

“Well, it’s mine. But I don’t want it. You want it mate? Why don’t you fight for it? Winner gets the spoils” taunted Pax looking at Noah.

 

Though he wanted it badly, Noah was being quiet but suddenly Melv opened his big mouth.

 

“Who’s afraid of you? I will knock you out right now. I am the Champion of RedRock. You try to bully us?” Melv kept on saying. Noah tried to stop him without any effect.

 

“Well, that’s it then. See you on Sunday at the Underground Arena at 6. Don’t be late. Let’s go Qax….and if you don’t show up tomorrow someone will show up at your academy...good luck to convince them.” Pax left with his brother.

 

The Black Market was a restricted place for Academy students. If found guilty the punishment would be severe.

 

“Don’t worry we can beat them. It’s just a match”, said Melv as he calmed down a bit. 

“But what’s this Underground Arena?” 

 

“It’s where you fight till your opponents are incapacitated or dead. There are no rules. Any and everything can be used in a fight. Actual combat, not a battle simulation.”

 

Suddenly there was a total silence. Melv has gone into utter shock. 

 

“Are you a moron? Who asked you to open your mouth? Whenever you open your mouth you bring trouble. Your name should have been Team Rocket.” shouted an angry Noah.

 

“What do we do? I don’t wanna die? Do something. You plan something.” Melv kept on shaking Noah and crying.

 

“Let’s go home first.”

 

 

They reached their orphanage, had their dinner and went to their room. The orphanage was more of a place to stay and eat for orphaned kids. Furthermore, they had to pay or do certain odd jobs at places to stay. It was controlled by an AI. The owner came very rarely.

 

Melv was scared from head to toe. He kept on asking Noah about the plan until he finally dozed off. But Noah could not think of anything at the moment. He thought it better to work on the scraps he got.

 

Suddenly a unique gadget design came to his mind, which he had not seen anywhere he could remember. But it seemed so detailed as if someone had implanted the details in his brain. He started to work on it. Another day passed as Noah was still fixed on his gadget. From Friday night to Sunday morning, he was stuck on his gadget. Without sleep and minimal food, he continued working on it. 

 

Finally, it was the day of the Battle.

 

 

...

0