Chapter 4: Funeral
167 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Agustus was an Enhancer while Isabella was a Caster. Enhancers focus on enhancement magic, whether it be reinforcing one's body or weapon. Casters are the opposite of Enhancers. Instead of trying to imbue magic into themselves and objects, they directly use it as weapons, sending them "out."

The main difference between the two was that the former focuses on close-combat, while the latter was for long-range.

However, just because you're one of the two professions, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to use the spells of the other. For example, an Enhancer could still use the Fireball Spell of Casters. After all, magic isn't limited in usage, rather it's usually ones thinking hindering it's potential.

One of the reasons why, for example, Enhancers focus on enhancement spells instead of trying to be a jack of all trades, was because all the spells you'll be learning would hinder your Phase Advancement. Basically, linearity and avoid being overloaded with spells. Of course, geniuses are exceptions because they're geniuses.

The second reason why people tend to not branch out of their professions was because of mana capacity. The less spells, the more effecient your mana usage would be.

Naturally, there are mana capacity-enhancing spells and treasures. However, both were hard to come by, especially the latter. Even if you do get the former which was relatively easier to find – relating to the first reason of not branching out from your profession – you would have one more thing to worry about. Not to mention that it's very time consuming to practice, and had a low time to gain ratio.

Again, geniuses wouldn't have much of a problem with it as their training speeds are fast. Things like mana affinity and comprehension are part of many factors that geniuses are a step above normal people. They are blessed just like that. 

In the end, Joseph chose to be an Enhancer. After all, back on Earth, bullets weren't always available and some missions require stealth rather than guns-blazing. 

He would also pick up some long-range spells that he finds fitting with his skill set, and utilize his marksmanship and accuracy. Destructive spells are also an option, filling the role of grenades and RPGs.

Joseph doesn't plan on making this world's version of guns, unless they already have it. He doesn't want to risk getting entangled with someone like him – a person who reincarnated into this world. He isn't naive to think that he's the only one.

Moreover, it's not like there's anything wrong with how this world uses magic. Why enforce a different belief when you're the one who have no idea of how this place works?

When in Moore, it's wise to do what the Moorens do. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, it's unnecessary.

...

Joseph asked his parents to help him pick out some introductory materials about magic in the library. Hence, he was able to gain a more in-depth understanding on the two types of professions.

His parents' explanation was easy to understand but they're too shallow. Of course, he could only say so since he's not actually a child.

Actually, the discussion part of their long chatter was short. Most of their time was spent bonding together, as they talked about random things like have Joseph enrolling in a magic academy, meeting relatives, etc.

Isabella also decided that they would make a pit stop at Emerald Green City on their way to her home in Soaring Eagle City. They would visit the auction hall there and buy Joseph some gifts.

Isabella decided on this while considering the fact that not only would it boost her son's motivation, it would also help him get over his sister's death by supporting his resolve. 

Agustus naturally had no objections, nor he had any reason to.

           •×•×•×•

The sun rose in the East, as Golden Gates City welcomed a brand new day. Just that contrary to the bright sunlight penetrating the McConnell Family's manor, the atmosphere was a bit heavy. 

Today was Gui's funeral.

The family held a private funeral at 8 in the morning, and there was a small procession that happened in the streets on the way to the burial site. There was no need to worry about getting interrupted as this was Golden Gates City. Moreover, the enemy just failed big time so it's very unlikely that they would strike in a short term.

Most people were shocked to see the sudden arrival of sad news. They indeed heard some rumors floating around that something happened to the McConnell Family in Yorkshire City, but they didn't expect this.

The McConnell Family was a good leader of Golden Gates City. The people had never suffered any kind of oppression. The policies they put in place were fair and just, not favoring the rich.

The death of the Young Miss was especially heartbreaking. The people still remember her bright smile as she strolled around the city. Her presence alone would make people unconsciously burst into a smile.

The vendors who sold her favorite snacks particularly felt empty. As they usually interacted with her, they felt closer. To them, it was very unfair to rob the cheerful Young Miss of her life just like that.

At exactly 8 o'clock, the McConnell Family had arrived at the cemetery and started the ceremony. 

The whole event was grand, befitting that of a big family. Just the reception alone costed hundreds of silver coins. There were numerous rare flowers and high quality decorations like silk.

Even though it was a private funeral, and there was no need to impress or show power to anyone, Agustus and Isabella felt that it was just right. In their opinion, their daughter deserve no less.

Isabella quietly wept in her husband's embrace while Agustus sent off his beloved daughter with solemnity. Though, his eyes looked a little red. 

On the other hand, despite trembling with clenched fists as if he was holding back, Joseph did not cry. It was as if he was trying his best to be strong just like his father.

'Although I haven't personally met you, from what I can tell, describing you as a star is no exaggeration. You can be rest assured that I will protect the family in your stead. I will make sure that they would always smile, just like how you always bug them to do so.'

Joseph secretly vowed in his heart. Since he accepted this identity, he didn't plan on half-assing the responsibilities.

In a way, this funeral is also for him. He had officially buried whatever hesitations he still had in his hearts and truly accepted this new life.

However, a part of him couldn't help but wonder if she would reincarnate, revive or something similar. After all, if her brother managed to pull his soul into this world, there's a high chance she would also be able to do the same.

Of course, this was just a passing thought. Joseph was still new to magic and had a very long way to go to even uncover the reason why he came here, much less other people.

Last night, he had tried to absorb some mana as stated in a beginner manual he found in the library, but he only managed to keep it up for around an hour. He forcefully stopped the session because both his body and mind felt sore and strained. This made him realize just how difficult practicing magic was.

This was especially so now that Joseph was on a time limit, which was 10 years before his father makes his revenge.

He must be strong enough by then to help his father and avenge his sister, and finally reunite the family together. 

At this time, 30 minutes had passed and the ceremony had also reached its conclusion. The family and the servants bid their final goodbyes to the Young Miss. 

Soon, everyone dispersed and returned to the manor, leaving behind a beautifully decorated altar.

However, dark clouds suddenly began to loom over the city and wind started to pick up. A sudden gust of wind whirled in the altar, blowing off the flower petals as they danced in the air.

As sad as it was, the weather perfectly encapsulated the mood of the McConnell Family. For the whole day, the McConnell Family manor was ringing with silence. 

[Author's Note: Team Gui or nah? Vote in the poll! Who knows, she might come back from the dead if there's enough requests]

Team Gui or nah?
  • Team Gui Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Nah Votes: 3 30.0%
Total voters: 10
2