Chapter 7: [Battle Lurker]
103 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why do you want it?"

Isabella turned her head and looked into her son's eager eyes.

"I feel like human life is fragile and knowing how the soul works could probably protect us from soul attacks. I also think that if my soul got stronger, I would be less susceptible to temptations and vices." 

'More importantly, it would help me in understanding how my existence worked.' Joseph added mentally.

"Are you sure it's because of that, or is it because of Gui?"

"It's because of Gui isn't it?"

"Then my answer is no."

Joseph expected a rejection, but not this fast and direct. Well, although a byproduct of his research would certainly branch to Gui, it was not his main intention. But Isabella doesn't know that, so he just followed the script started by his mother, putting on a "how did you know" type of face.

"My son, you're still young, although it also still hurts mother, there's no need to get fixated. If anything, your sister is probably watching over you in heaven. She wouldn't want you to go down a dark path because of rashness, does she? Remembering a loved one is important, but moving on is as integral. What would happen if you get into an accident, who would protect mother? Didn't you just promise to protect the family?"

"Matters regarding the soul is delicate, especially for a child! Also the spell book is incomplete making it even more dangerous!!"

"So no, I wouldn't allow you!"

"..."

"Okay... I'm sorry, Mother. I was... wrong. I wouldn't be reckless again, I promise!"

"Sigh~ It's good that you understand. This is for your own good, okay?"

"En."

Isabella gave Joseph a kiss on the forehead and began patting his back as consolation.

Meanwhile, Joseph had different thoughts. he got rejected harder than when he got beat by the camp's training. Guess he'll have to get it himself when he gets "older" and have the abilities to back his actions, reassuring his mother in the process. Otherwise, he'll just dig himself deeper into this hole.

"80 gold coins, sold!"

As Joseph got lectured by Isabella, the Soul Magic spell book had been sold to an individual. Now, even if Isabella suddenly changed her mind, it was already too late to bid.

"Eherm~ Since we are at the finale, we naturally had to end with flare. So although the auction has sold items in no specific order all this while, we have specially saved the best for last!"

"Bring it in!"

"The final item from the ancient ruin, a mana circulation technique – [Battle Lurker]!"

"It is not a Soul Item since it's just manual, however it's value is no lesser than the Soul Items before it! Why? Simple, it is an Earth Phase technique! Meaning, you are guaranteed to reach the Earth Phase as long as you have above average talent!! It's a dual element circulation technique of the Shadow and Force Element, so those that have these elements, this is your chance to get a good circulation technique!!!"

"Starting price is 200 gold coins!"

The crowd was shocked. Reaching the Earth Phase was an incredible feat and was many people's goal. Although not as scarce as Heaven Phase experts, Earth Phase experts were still very rare in comparison to the population of the Novo Continent! And to think that this technique could carry you through to the Earth Phase without having to change techniques in the middle was amazing!!

The thing with circulation techniques is that although you can change it, you have to find something compatible to your old one. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to convert your mana, and you have to start from scratch. Literally back to zero at the Mortal Phase! Forcefully converting your mana with an incompatible technique could be done but it has a very high risk, almost guaranteed, that it could cripple your magic circuit! No one would dare to risk becoming a cripple. That would be akin to the rich suddenly going bankrupt.

...

Inside Private Room 1.

"Mother, can I have this instead? I am a dual element of Shadow and Force Element, right?" Joseph asked Isabella. 

Mana is like water, it takes the shape of it's container. Meaning if one's body is attuned with 90% Wind Element and 10% Water Element, and say the mana you absorb is in the form of 100 strands, then 90 of the mana strands would become Wind Element Mana and 10% would become Water Element Mana.

Although Joseph had already tried to absorb mana, he had no idea what his element or elements were. Of course, you could also just brute force your way in understanding your body by trying to cast a basic spell from each element. But that would be too cumbersome and inefficient. Hence, the Elemental Affinity Stone was invented to test one's elemental affinity.

He asked his mother to test his elemental affinity last night in preparation for today's auction. Single-use Elemental Affinity Stones are cheap at 1 silver each but naturally, Isabella had a high quality reusable one with much finer readings.

The results were 35% Shadow Element and 65% Force Element, Joseph had a dual affinity. His father Agustus had Force Element so he knew where he got that element from. Although his mother had an Ice Element and there's a high chance that he would inherit the same element, it's not guaranteed. This can be answered by genetics, and it doesn't mean that he couldn't inherit his great ancestors' genes. This was probably where the Shadow Element came from.

"Of course, you 'must' have it! It's an Earth Phase technique and your dual element combination is rare, so we should take this opportunity. It's not guaranteed we would find a good Shadow and Force Element technique that easy, even in Soaring Eagle City."

...

Meanwhile, in the auction hall.

"210 gold coins"

"240 gold coins!"

The only people who bid for the technique was Aiden and William. Although the technique was really the best out of all the items auctioned like what the auctioneer had said, no one really bid for it. Although the price is very high, people still thought that it's appropriate, after all, it's an Earth Phase technique. Disregarding the cost of the technique, it's actually the dual element of Shadow and Force that made people not want it. The combination is simply very rare and no one has it. Typically, dual elements are a combination of classical elements like water and wind, fire and wind, earth and fire, etc.

Likewise, both Young Masters also didn't need the technique, but it would be a great addition to their families' treasury. Also, unlike the other families and individuals, they could afford to make actions such as this one. Even if it's still pricey for them, it's within their budget.

However, what they and the other people didn't expect was a third competitor!

"270 gold coins!"

A graceful, angelic voice resounded in the hall which immediately invoked silence. For the people, it was a mixture of shock and awe that made them speechless and still.

While Aiden was confused, William, on the other hand, undoubtedly recognized the beautiful voice. It was none other than the fairy at the entrance of the auction house!

William's eyes immediately scanned the private rooms, looking for the source of the voice. But he couldn't tell where it came from so intentionally raised the price to see if the fairy would bid again, which in turn, reveal her location.

"280 gold coins!"

"300 gold coins!"

Sure enough, the fairy bid again. This time, William had finally found the room where the fairy was. He could use some of his family's connection to ask for the other party's identity later. The auction house keep their client's privacy tight, but the fairy was clearly not trying to hide her identity. And it's not like asking someone's name was necessarily poking at the auction house's client's intentions and secrets.

At this time, Aiden bid again, rasing the price to 320 gold coins. But Isabella simply raised the price to 400 gold coins, which was also the appropriate price for such a technique, without any fluctuation in her tone. She was clearly as financially capable as the big families in Emerald Green City. She also seemed to be keen on obtaining the technique so, in the end, Aiden gave up. William was also not dumb enough to try and provoke the fairy for the second time on the same day.

"400 gold coins, going once... going twice... Sold to the Guest in Private Room 1!"

"And that concludes today's auction, I hope everyone is satisfied with their purchases! You may claim your items in the exchange area at any time."

The auctioneer did a gentleman's bow and then slowly retreated away from the stage. The people also started leaving one after the other, except for those who had bought something.

At this time, a staff knocked on Private Room 1, and guided Isabella and Joseph to the exchange area. The exchange area had different small rooms that were correspondingly numbered with the private rooms. 

Right after that, the mother and son ate at a restaurant since it was already 6pm by the time the auction ended.

During dinner, Isabella asked Joseph if he wanted to wander around the city and buy some more things since they'll be leaving tomorrow. But Joseph politely declined the offer. Instead, he pleaded to Isabella to help him practice the newly acquired circulation technique, even though he could technically do it himself. Apart from it being a "show" on the surface, Joseph also just wanted to bond with his family. 

In all honesty, although he indeed felt a lot closer after spending some days with his new family, and had the help from his body's already existing feelings, he was still mentally awkward towards the idea of a family. He had dealt with comrades and relationships with women, but never with a family. He was really enjoying fumbling his way through and discovering this new type of bond blooming in his heart.  

At 8pm, Isabella had finished guiding Joseph in trying out the new technique and did a few rounds of practice. He had officially started his journey in magic! Isabella left Joseph's room soon after she tucked him into bed. A pity that Agustus wasn't here, he would've been proud of his son's talent.

Joseph also didn't try to sneakily train any further, as he could just do so while travelling and not surrender some sleep. He wanted to be as awake and energetic as a bull tomorrow. He doesn't want to miss his first true glimpse into this vast world! 

.

.

.

[Author's Note: This is the proper time to address that the descriptions; ranging from the world, the cities, how mana flows inside the body, how technique works etc. will be explored after MC and family "finally settles" in Soaring Eagle City.]

2