Chapter 86
41 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She didn’t know. Lillica and Arnold’s smiling faces popped into her mind. “Did they not tell me because they didn’t want me to go?!” Sol felt rather unprepared for this excursion despite all the preparation. Poor Arnold and Lillica were misunderstood at this point. They spent so much time beating common sense into Sol that they forgot about the specifics related to the Heavenly Demon Guild.

Jay escorted Sol inside the massive facility and then to a front desk. “Two rooms for two contestants.” “Yes.” The front attendant executed his request without issue and Sol soon found herself inside a meager room. “Drop your things off and I’ll show you around. Consider it a favor to Arnold. Meet me in the main lobby when you’re ready.

 After agreeing, Sol entered the room to look around. The room itself was minimalistic and suited a temporary home. She considered the massive facility from the outside and understood this was something similar to a family specific dormitory. Even with a shallow thought, she could understand hundreds of uses for such a facility if your family is large enough or important enough.

Sol tossed her bag onto the bed and left the room. The key she locked it with was stylized and acted as a token for facility entrance as well. The multipurpose key slid into her pocket and Sol moved to enter the lobby. Just as she turned, Sol found herself face to face with two other women and Oliver beside them.

What’s this? A shakedown? Not very well bred of you, Oliver.” “Quiet! These two are going to take your place in the selection.” Sol glanced at the two women. One was around 15 and the other just past 16. Her head tilted as she tried to determine any relation between them and Oliver. The two girls didn’t look anything like Oliver so Sol jabbed for information. “Your concubines? I don’t suggest climbing to power over a man’s lap, you two… It’s disrespectful to yourself...Well, that and it’s unreliable. 

The younger girl flushed red at the comment while the older only shrugged her shoulders. “We’ll do what needs to be done to be accepted.” Sol nodded her head. “That’s very pragmatic of you. Unfortunately, you chose the wrong man to sleep into power with. I’m not relinquishing my position.” Oliver only replied with a hidden smile. “That’s not up to you. If you hadn’t run away by yourself, they wouldn’t have to replace you.

Ran away? Who did?” Sol tilted her head while cycling The Unchained Queen Beast model. Pulses of magic rippled through the facility without care of who was visiting. Oliver’s expression changed instantly after noticing Sol’s tactic. His face scrunched up and slapped the shoulder of the two girls before they ran off. Behind her, Sol heard a few doors opening and could feel some antagonistic stares directed at her.

Sorry about that! I had to chase away a few kidnappers. Thank you for your assistance!” She bowed in apology then continued towards the lobby. While most eyes turned away, Sol could sense a pair of eyes still locked on her figure. She was unable to determine their intention, but didn’t worry too much about it. This was the Drant headquarters. There were limited options a visitor could use to harass someone. 

Thinking such, her mind moved to Oliver and his tactic. Did he underestimate me because of my age? Sol didn’t think Oliver was stupid. He had to have known she wouldn’t back down. If he knew that, then why did he threaten her? Not to mention he made a move while she was inside the dormitory. There was no way he thought she wouldn’t fight back.

Unable to come to a conclusion, Sol entered the main lobby only to find multiple gazes directed at her. Some were curious, however most were hostile. Though cautious, Sol only waved to the group and moved to Jay’s side. She decidedly ignored Jay’s wry smile. “Shall we go, Mr. Jay?

Jay waived at the girl then walked off. Sol giggled and followed behind him. After exiting the facility, Sol’s giggles stopped. “Jay, who was downstairs just now?” “Other contestants. You’re the only representative that’s from a branch family.

Come now, Mr. Jay. You don’t seriously think they’re looking down on me just because I’m from a branch family? If I had to wager, that man, Oliver, moved behind the scenes. I’m not sure what he did prior to intercepting me, but he brought along two of his concubines to intimidate me. What was happening downstairs when I sent out the pulses of magic?

Jay laughed in response. “Haha, you were framed Sol. The Heavenly Demon Guild recruiter and family head were taking a look at the contestants. After you flared up, the family head called you out and sent the recruiter to his room.” Sol chuckled to herself. “That’d explain why everyone looked at me like that… I must have ruined their chance to suck up to the recruiter.

“You’re good at making enemies, Sol.” Jay chuckled in reply. “It’s never my intent though… It’s too late now. I’ll just deal with it as it comes. Where are we heading to?” Jay pointed to a building in the distance. “That’s the mission hall the Drant family uses to encourage their members to travel and open their eyes to the world. Think of it as a mini guild specific to the Drants. They can handle issuing lost identification too.

Ah, so we’re going with ‘lost’ in my case then?” Sol understood that obtaining an identity from scratch would be troublesome. Though she was curious on whose identity she was going to steal since the mission hall shouldn’t have any record of her. “We’ll use the lost excuse, but I’ll just have them create you a new identity.” Jay replied without much concern. 

Sol’s brows raised in curiosity. Who was Jay that he could order the mission hall around? Sol only hummed in response. The two entered the mission hall and Jay waved Sol off to the side while he handled business. Taking advantage of the down time, Sol scoured the different missions available. As she read through the list, Sol’s gaze sharpened.

This is quite intense…’ Most of the missions were bounties on criminals, exploration and mapping, or chemical decoctions. Since the hall was specific for the Drant family, it was a good indicator of what the Drant values were for their younger generation. Oddly enough, Sol couldn’t find refining anywhere on the list. Did the family just not have any expertise in the field, or was it saturated? Sol kept the thoughts internal for now.

Eventually, Sol flipped through the last mission and closed the book. She fell into thought and started recollecting her stay so far. Though short, many things caught Sol’s attention after entering the headquarters.

The Drant Headquarters contained shops and facilities that existed in town. It was as if a mini town sprung up within Plausa city. After Jay caught Sol's inquisitive gaze, he acted the part of a guide. “All facilities inside the headquarters provide discounted prices to the family. They’re run by the family as well. Many internal functions can be completed by bartering instead of currency. It gives the younger generation ways to compete with those older than them.”

At the time, she didn’t give it much thought, but after reading the missions available, Sol had an inkling as to what supplies the Drant’s income. She couldn’t tell if it was because of her nature, but Sol already had an idea or two in mind on how to either grow the family business, or interfere with it. She smiled wryly at herself and let her mind wander until Jay returned.

She didn’t have to wait for long as Jay arrived not long after. He flicked a small card at her and said. “Here you go! You’re no longer illegal. Congratulations.” Sol glanced at the card with interest before replying. “Jay?” “What is it? Dying to thank me?” “No, not that. You put the wrong age…” “Huh? Did I?” Sol sighed in exasperation. It didn’t matter in the long run so she just waved it off. “Forget it. It’s close enough. When does the tryout begin?

Selection kicks off tomorrow morning. Just listen for the bell and gather in the main lobby. It might be pushed back if there are some late arrivals, but I think everyone arrived just after we did.” Sol acknowledged the reply and said her farewells. She wanted a good night’s sleep in preparation for tomorrow.

After arriving at her room, Sol locked the door and curled up in her bed for the night. Oddly, she felt calm and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the sheets.

Upon awakening, Sol stretched her limbs with a yawn. The bell had yet to go off and so Sol went through the motions of brushing her teeth before heading down to the lobby. As she descended the stairs, Sol’s eye caught the visage of two older gentlemen. Each was dressed in ceremonial robes and Sol noticed one of the gentlemen matched the Drant family crest colors. The family head? It was difficult to tell.

If her guess was correct, then the man beside him should be the recruiter sent by the Heavenly Demon Guild. Sol landed on the bottom floor only to hear a bell toll through the building. Her gaze remained on the two gentlemen, however she positioned herself near the other recruits.

Soon, the remaining contenders arrived on scene to join the line. The bell tolled once more and the call for recruits ended. The older man Sol thought to be the family head stood up first. Beside her, the recruits bowed their heads and issued a ‘good morning’. Sol went through the motions with the group.

You are here, selected as cream of the crop within our family! What is presented is a privilege, not a right! Those unqualified, fret not and continue to train and hone your skills. There is always a future where you can succeed. Those who succeed, laziness will not be tolerated. On your backs carry the hopes and future of our family! Strive to succeed. Strive to pass. Good luck.”

The man gestured beside him. “This is Elder Zhao of the Heavenly Demon Guild. He will act as the recruiter for this session. Treat him with respect. His decision is final. Elder Zhao, if you would…” The family head bowed slightly to the man and then moved to stand back. After he moved, Sol caught the man’s eyes scanning over her for a moment. Her brows furrowed. It would be difficult to succeed if she was destined to fail from behind the scenes machinations. Though cautious, she retained a bit of hope that it wouldn’t be the case.

3