Chapter 88
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a moment, Elder Zhao’s focus slipped and three other children blacked out as a direct consequence. Regardless, his thoughts remained on Sol’s unconscious body. He felt the decision was no longer his to deny the girl entrance because of his backdoor deal.

Had he known such an amazing candidate was in the trial and would be affected, Elder Zhao would have turned the deal down instantly. Now, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The resources he traded were already used up and he had no way to return them or go back on the deal.

Elder Zhao clenched his fists at the situation. Within his mind, he marked the Drant family head. Forcing his hand against such a talented recruit was something that touched Elder Zhao’s bottom line. While he would be forced to fail the girl, Elder Zhao was already considering a method to help her behind the scenes.

Waving his hand once, Sol’s figure floated off the magic circle and was placed gently outside the edge. With his voice laced in magic, Elder Zhao spoke under his breath. A man soon appeared and took Sol away from the testing area.

Elder Zhao maintained his stoic image and finished the test for the remaining candidates. Like a machine, he failed those he agreed to fail and passed those he agreed to pass. The process went smoothly after Sol was disqualified and Elder Zhao couldn’t find it in himself to keep up the facade.

Elder Zhao turned his back on Clan Head Drant disregarding etiquette and made his way towards a side facility housing those who collapsed during the test. His aged eyes scanned the members he failed. He soon found himself at the entrance to Sol’s room, however his feet remained static.

Will you not enter Elder Zhao?” Sol’s voice leaked from behind the door and lacked the slightest hint of warmth. Sighing to himself, Elder Zhao entered the room only to find Sol resting against the bedpost. Her crystalline blue eyes reflected his figure alongside a vast coldness that brought chills running up Elder Zhao’s back.

Elder Zhao released a helpless breath. He took an empty seat and waved his hand once sending a pulse of magic through the room. Though invisible, Sol felt her domain constrict suddenly and was unable to peer past the walls of the room. Even without much thought, she understood the Elder isolated the room.

Sol’s eyes remained fixed on the Elder across from her without showing her thoughts. She already understood the test was rigged after seeing others who failed. None of their body’s showed that they experienced the same amount of pressure that hers did. Her intention had already traveled far from the Heavenly Guild.

Rather, she was more concerned about what to do next. Originally, she thought she could overcome a minor balance tipping and still enter the Guild. After experiencing the Elder’s means though, her mindset dramatically changed. The experience cemented her helplessness against those far stronger than her. Sol and Elder Zhao remained seated in silence for nearly 5 minutes until Elder Zhao broke the silence.

Young girl, I’ve done you wrong… Any child with your talent should have an expedited recruitment instead of being forced out of the running by any random Elder of a Guild.” He sighed once more after seeing the resolute eyes Sol stared back with. Understanding how she probably felt, the Elder moved on without waiting for her reply.

I’ll make no excuses girl. Your clan head has something against you and already paid for me to fail you in this tryout. Those resources were consumable and can no longer be returned or replaced by me. If you decide to stick through the following trials, you can expect me to fulfill my obligation once more…

Though her face remained stoic, Sol’s mine was racing. Her opinion of the Elder grew despite also holding a grudge for his antics. She understood his position, yet even so… “How is this Lady expected to reply to the Elder? Should this Lady thank the Elder for his magnanimous personality? Does this Lady gain anything but trouble from knowing you’re honor bound to cheat my rightful position away?

Inside, Sol’s fury was being stoked. What’s the difference between someone being a willing participant or an unwilling participant? Does being hired by contract change the outcome for the person targeted? If Elder Zhao expected her forgiveness, he’d never get it. As if to answer her questions, Elder Zhao responded.

You’re mistaken little girl. Someone of my stature has no need for your apology, your gratitude, or anything else you can provide me at this stage. I’m only here to reveal the curtain and make sure you understand who is responsible for altering your future. When the time comes and you gain power, remember that this was unsanctioned by the Heavenly Demon Guild. This was a personal exchange between your family head and myself. That was my purpose, girl.

Raising an eyebrow, Sol questioned, “The Elder intends to allow this Lady her life?” Elder Zhao chuckled at the question. Rather than feel disdain for the girl so far below him in strength, Elder Zhao’s eyes remained resolute. “Girl, burn this moment into your memory. Nothing in this world is easily categorized as good and evil. Some of the most evil entities to walk this plane hold the purest form of righteousness near their heart. On the same token, a Saint shouldering the lives of many can discard everything they’re shouldering if it means defeating that which they believe evil.

Elder Zhao stood from his seat and moved it back under the desk he stole it from originally while finishing his sentence. “Our meeting is unfortunate, but passing. In the future, you might rise to power and seek this old man for revenge. Such a thing is fine. In the grand scheme of things, it’s but a blip in your story. Do not let it consume you, but feel free to use it as motivation. There are many ways to climb the power ladder in this world. So long as you remain true, then the Heavenly Demon Guild would only remain as a stepping stone for you. Rather than torment yourself about this, instead keep it off to the side as a note to revisit in the future.

Elder Zhao opened the door to Sol’s room and was about to leave. As soon as she felt the barrier fall, her eyes narrowed with a final question. “Why is the Elder so confident this Lady will not return for revenge later?” To which Elder Zhao just chuckled. “Who said I’m confident? I’ve always lived my life so that I’ve no regrets. Take this moment as an Elder being willful.

The door soon closed behind him leaving Sol deep in thought. Honestly, she was going to polish the new grudge until she could cash it in later. Somehow, that thought fell away. Realizing the Elder accomplished his goals, Sol couldn’t help but feel manipulated. Regardless, she at least understood the Elder was having regrets.

As she laid on the bed, a smile formed across her face. The Elder may have lightened the thirst for whole hearted revenge, but that was only true for him. The face of the Clan Head flashed across Sol’s memory as she mentally moved the grudge over to the man. Even though she didn’t want to be convinced, it was certainly true the Elder was hired specifically to fail her and a few other children.

After leaving Sol’s room, Elder Zhao touched his finger tips repeatedly while chanting to himself. Magic surged from his soul and dissipated into the ether as if consumed by an unknown entity. Nearly 10 minutes later, he dropped his hands to his side and released a relieved sigh. Though a novice in divination, it was clear his actions altered the future for him and the Guild. He chuckled and moved to retire for the night while thinking about the little girl capable of bringing such dark shadows across the fates of others.

The two parties pondered their respective positions until the night fell and rolled into the next day. Arriving on site for the second tryout, Elder Zhao was surprised to discover Sol in attendance. A wry smile tugged at his face until he found the strength to suppress it. Even without talking, he could see the determination in Sol’s gaze.

Elder Zhao turned his attention back to the group and became stoic. “Each of you have failed to pass the spiritual assessment. It’s a strong indicator that your talent is lacking. Despite that, my Heavenly Demon Guild understands that fate is fickle and talent is only half of the equation. That brings us to today’s assessment, a test of will…

He waved his hand and magic surged from Elder Zhao’s palm. Circles of cryptic runes etched themselves beneath each contestant and a spiritual lock held them in place. Before fear overtook them, Elder Zhao continued. 

Each of you will be transported to the base of this mountain. You will have 72 hours to scale it once more and reach our current position. Those who arrive in time will be granted outer court disciple status. Though not an official member, you will earn the right to move into that position if you continue to demonstrate the determination used to pass this trial.

The circling runes glowed brighter as Elder Zhao’s magic infused into them. Sol felt as if the world were tearing around her. She could only make out his final words as a distorted echo before her vision failed a moment later. Her skin felt tugging against it and her innards were strained in various directions.

The familiar pain brought a bout of confusion upon Sol, however her vision soon restored itself with nothing but thick foliage and shrubbery around her. As soon as Sol understood she was in no danger, she plopped to her butt and closed her eyes. She focused on the remaining sensations wracking her body until they faded away.

The next time her eyes opened, there was an intelligent glint flickering. Though she couldn’t tell when, Sol understood that what she just experienced was incredibly similar to what she felt when she first awoke. For the first time, Sol felt as if she had a clue to her locked memories and history. She stored the revelation to the back of her mind before turning her gaze to the distant mountain ridge.

2