Chapter 20: Prince of Flames
52 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘This is a death wish.’

I ignored Earl’s warning and I started towards a door of light behind me.

‘You fool, any man who stands against any God is asking for death!’

I stopped and turned my head slightly over my shoulder.

Maybe I’m already dead. Maybe-

I turned to Earl.

Maybe I am death. 

Earl nearly flinched, and stepped back. I wanted to be surprised as this was the first time I’ve ever seen him react afraid. 

I continued towards the blinding door of light until I was enveloped in the light, waking up from my dream. 

“Ryfon! We have to escape!” warned a woman standing over me, dressed in long black robes with thin stripes of gold yellow running down it. Her flame red hair blew in the wind with her robe’s ruffled hems. 

Ahead of me was an elf with ashy hair and wore the same robes as the woman, except it didn’t have ruffled hems, and it was burnt. He stood in awe, watching a slowly falling large ball of fire target us from the sky. 

“Move, Celie.” I demanded to the woman next to me. 

Celie looked at me in relief and distress. 

“Ala-” 

“Move!” I swatted Celie’s hand as she tried to reach for my chest. She stepped back as I rose to my feet.

“I thought you’ve had enough, you fool.” teased Carlton, The Prince of Flames, a God of Varyn.

Carlton harrumphed, standing still at a safe distance from us. 

“This is your last chance. Give me your pretty woman and I’ll let you and your friend leave. I’m a nice God, aren’t I?” Carlton laughed. 

I went from a walk into a sprint towards Carlton, who gave me a face of disappointment. Ryfon, the elf who was now next to me, glanced at me then focused his gaze back to the fire. His posture and face was radiating hopelessness. 

I tuned my arms and thrusted them to my sides, exerting the mana, thrusting me closer and closer towards the Carlton. 

*woosh*

If I weren’t caught off guard, I would be fighting Carlton face to face without having to worry about his magnificent and vicious flames. 

I knew that his godly magic excelled in range, so I wanted to close the distance between us. 

I landed on both of my feet, turned my mana in both of them to cast earth manipulation magic, and exerted it throughout the ground around me. 

I created fairly sized rough balls of dirt and stone, and threw them at Carlton, whizzing in the air, but had no effect. Carlton was practically dancing around, evading them. 

Not only was he given his fire, but he was also given an excellent reaction time. 

“Amuse me more!” teased Carlton yet again. His teasing, however, took no toll on me. 

The ball of fire grew dangerously closer to us every second. My mana wasn’t strong enough to dispel a God’s magic, but his spells could be negated if he were to die. 

I could’ve flown to safety easily, but it was too big for my friends to evade. The blast radius would catch them if they were to just miss the ball of fire itself.

Although they were completely useless in this situation, they were dire in others. 

I found myself just 30 meters away from Carlton. I kept propelling rough balls of earth around me, but Carlton kept evading. 

I glanced back at the ball of fire and grew uneasily impatient. 

“You’re dead! You should’ve never messed with a God!” Carlton was crying with laughter. I bit my lip and slid the dirt from beneath his feet to make him slip. Carlton was too busy laughing to notice me do so, and fell right on his behind. Before he could even look up, I thrusted a spear of stone right into his chest. 

I could feel the heat of the ball of fire above us slowly die down. 

Carlton was scratching the spear, gasping and flailing. 

“IMPOSSIBLE! I AM A GOD! NO MAN CAN KILL ME! NO MAN!” cried Carlton, real tears this time. 

I took small steps closer to Carlton, who was now throwing small pellets of fire towards me. 

I blocked every pellet by thrusting small barriers of dirt before they could reach me.

“WHO ARE YOU- WHAT ARE YOU?!” Carlton cried. I bit my lip in excitement, and chuckled

As I reached Carlton, I leaned towards his ear.

“I am the truth.” 

I tuned my mana in my right hand and grasped Carlton’s face with it. I tightened my grip, crushing his skull as his eyes were popping out and blood splattered everywhere. 

His head exploded like a melon. 

I quickly grabbed a chipped wooden cup from a pocket inside my robe and held it to Carlton’s neck, and his slimy blood filled it.

I gulped it all, wiped my mouth with my arm, and stood up. 

I turned around to find both Celie and Ryfon running towards me. Celie was cheerfully waving her hand and tugging on Ryfon's sleeve as he stumbled but managed to keep up with her. He tried to give a smile but instead gave an exhausted smirk. 

I looked back at Carlton who was covered in brain remains and blood. I noticed his tongue was stuck on my leg. I picked it off and threw it on Carlton’s lap. 

I spun around and started towards my friends.

Celie looked very worried, and Ryfon looked as if he was nearly going to faint.

3