59-The Stone-Cold Palace
101 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kayla stared in shock at the Imperial Guards before her. There was an unreasonable number of guards, with what must’ve been at least sixty men in full armor spread out before the Zhao household’s front gate. The doormen were backed against the wall, nervously trembling as they shied as far away as they could from the spears pointed in their direction.

From her peripheral vision, Kayla could see more guards securing the perimeter. The Imperial Guards had distinct armors and capes, higher quality than their counterparts in the City Guard. Between the torches and the moonlight glinting off the expensive metal, it made them seem twice as intimidating as usual.

Why are there so many guards? Is this all because of the plaque?

Something about the situation irked her, even though she couldn't quite put her finger on it yet.

“Minister, here we are,” Li Que said politely. “This man is Jiang Jing, a captain of the Imperial Guards.” Li Que gestured at the man in fancier armor than the others before stepping aside. Behind her, Kayla could sense Hu Qing fighting his conflicting instincts to appreciate the handsome captain and to take off at full speed away from the Imperial Guards.

The captain approached, bowing before Kayla.

“Minister, Captain Jiang of the Imperial Guards is here at your service. Please forgive us for our tardy arrival!” His voice rang out, almost seeming to echo off the other guards’ armor.

“Not at all, thank you for coming all this way,” Kayla said, keeping her tone mild. She still had no idea why they were even here, but Jiang Jing had been a named character in the novel. He was handsome, of course, and had been in love with a high-ranking serving maid. The captain had ended up swearing his loyalty to Xianchun after the prince helped him attain the serving maid’s hand in marriage. Though most of his appearances in the novel were dedicated to saving Xianchun or Consort Liang from various assassination attempts, Jiang Jing had been pretty competent when it came to running people through with a spear.

This is another guy to watch out for, Kayla thought grimly to herself. At this point, he shouldn’t have sworn his loyalty to Xianchun yet, but who knows? With how much I’ve been messing with events, it could’ve happened already.

“Thank you for your graciousness, Minister. Please leave the rest to the Imperial Guards, I’m to escort you to the palace on orders of the Empress Dowager,” Jiang Jing said. Kayla glanced at Li Que, who nodded.

“We’ll take care of things here, Minister. Please go ahead,” Li Que said.

Kayla obediently followed their arrangements, getting into the carriage. Hu Qing was offered a horse. Almost half the guards got into position around the carriage, Jiang Jing riding up to the carriage’s window on his horse.

“Then we’ll get going, Minister. Please let us know if there’s anything you need,” Jiang Jing said. At Kayla’s unnerved expression, he frowned slightly. “Is something the matter, Minister?”

“Not at all, thank you,” Kayla replied, forcing her face into a smile. Jiang Jing nodded politely before heading off to lead the convoy toward the palace. Hu Qing was doing an admirable job of not panicking despite looking visibly nervous and for good reason.

Why are so many people escorting the carriage? Even the princes don’t go around with this many guards! Won’t it be a traffic disturbance?

The Imperial Guards rarely acted as escorts for anyone who didn’t reside within the Imperial Palace, and even when they did, it wasn’t to this degree. Kayla could feel cold sweat beading on the back of her neck. As much as she was hoping this didn’t have any political implications, she could already tell it would stir up a fuss.

The carriage pulled to a stop before the Imperial Palace, just as Kayla had finished using a talisman to mend her torn robes. There wasn’t much she could do about the badly dented plaque, which was now both glowing and continuing to emanate magic, so she just tucked it back within her robes and hoped for the best.

“Minister, we’ve arrived,” Jiang Jing said, startling Kayla out of her thoughts. One of the guards opened the carriage door, bowing his head politely as Kayla passed before him.

Why are they being so polite? Aren’t the Imperial Guards supposed to be pretty arrogant? What the hell is this?

“Please allow me to escort you to the Empress Dowager’s palace,” Jiang Jing said.

“I’d be grateful,” Kayla replied. She followed the captain in silence with Hu Qing in tow. Kayla tried very hard to ignore the dozen Imperial Guards flanking them, Hu Qing doing an admirable job of not staring at everything with wide-eyed curiosity or flipping a wall and running for it.

“Minister, please go ahead,” Jiang Jing said politely as they reached the entrance of the Empress Dowager’s annex, gesturing for Hu Qing to wait outside.

“Thank you very much, captain. I’ll go a step ahead,” Kayla said. She entered the building, bowing as soon as she caught sight of the Empress Dowager.

“Zhao Wenyuan humbly greets the Empress Dowager.”

“Be at ease, Wenyuan,” the Empress Dowager said, waving her over. “Are you alright? I’ve heard about what happened, it must’ve been quite a scare.”

“I’m perfectly well, grandmother. Thank you for your concern, I must apologize for disturbing your rest this late at night,” Kayla said. She sat obediently where the Empress Dowager gestured, settling into the familiar spot.

“Thank heavens you were unharmed, to think there would be someone capable of getting past the Imperial Investigators this easily,” the Empress Dowager sighed in relief. “It seems that we were too complacent.”

“It’s terrible what happened to the Imperial Investigators. Do you think they will be able to find out who was behind it?” Kayla asked.

The Empress Dowager gave her a look that Kayla couldn’t quite comprehend.

“It is clear who the primary suspect should be, but it remains to be seen whether our preparations will come through,” the Empress Dowager replied.

So she also knows it was the Grand Duke, Kayla thought grimly. But if he covers it up too well, her hands are tied as well. I guess that can’t be helped.

“I hope that we will attain a satisfactory outcome,” Kayla said in a neutral tone.

The Empress Dowager let out a sigh. “I hope so as well, but the best-laid plans often cannot catch up to changes in the situation. The Imperial Investigators had intercepted multiple assassins over the last few days, but none of them were able to provide anything useful.”

Wait, what? Multiple assassins?! Why the fuck is this the first time I’m hearing about it? Kayla felt an urge to demand answers from the Empress Dowager but fought it down with difficulty.

“I was unaware,” Kayla said instead.

“We did not intend for you to know. If your behavior were to drastically change, it would be difficult to determine what course of action your opponents may take,” the Empress Dowager said. “We had hoped to root them out, but unfortunately, it seems that this backfired. Our men were overpowered, and we may very well be unable to gain enough evidence.”

The nagging doubts at the back of Kayla’s mind seemed to connect at that moment. Pieces of the puzzle finally came together, and Kayla understood the hidden meaning of the Empress Dowager’s words in a sudden burst of clarity.

So she used me as bait. Five investigators, isn’t that even less than there would be for a surveillance mission?

Kayla felt a cold knot growing inside her stomach. She did this on purpose. The Empress Dowager intentionally reduced security when she knew I was in danger.

Kayla couldn’t place a finger on exactly what the emotion creeping up her spine was. It was something close to rage, or perhaps a sense of betrayal. Even if she hadn’t truly trusted the Empress Dowager that much, the realization still left her reeling.

Wenyuan’s your grandson, Kayla silently accused the old woman before her. If you’re going to make use of us, isn’t it natural to at least consider our safety? No wonder they say that the Imperial family is the most heartless.

Outwardly, Kayla maintained her polite demeanor.

“I understand, grandmother. Will tonight’s incident suffice?” Kayla asked.

The Empress Dowager hesitated for a moment, and Kayla immediately understood that the palace wouldn’t be doing a single thing.

“I’m sorry, Wenyuan. But we can’t take action right away,” the Empress Dowager said. “The assassin poisoned himself and died before your arrival, and we’re still uncertain about the missing Investigator. It still remains to be seen what will come of this incident.”

Wow, absolutely amazing. So they can't do anything at all, is that how it is?

“That can’t be helped,” Kayla said.

“You can be assured that such a thing will not happen again, I will make sure of it.”

“Of course, grandmother. I’m very grateful.”

The conversation came to a pause, the Empress Dowager hiding her feelings of guilt by sipping at a cup of tea. Kayla internally debated her options, rummaging through her thoughts as she came to a decision. She had started out trying to protect herself against the threat of Xianchun, but now, the Grand Duke was an enemy that was much closer at hand.

If I take him down, perhaps I’ll also neutralize the threat of Xianchun as well.

“Grandmother, I have an unreasonable request to make, if you would be so kind to indulge my foolishness,” Kayla said.

“Don’t be silly, my grandson finally makes a request, how can I not be eager to hear it?”

Kayla steeled herself, fumbling for the right words.

“I recently learned of my family history,” Kayla began. The Empress Dowager raised her eyebrows slightly.

“Oh? Did Matron Li tell you that?”

“Yes, at my insistence. I was hoping to gain some insight into why the Grand Duke acted the way he did, but I didn’t expect to learn such a shocking truth.”

The Empress Dowager gave her a thoughtful look. “It must have been quite a surprise for you. Is your request related to this? Do you wish to change the records of your family tree?”

“Not quite,” Kayla admitted. She took a deep breath, mustering the courage to make the request.

“Our household has gone from a prestigious clan known for its loyalty and service to the throne to a blight on the dynasty. It is clear that my grandfather is no longer fit to lead the Zhao clan,” Kayla said. “If I may be so rude as to recommend myself, I would like to replace him as the head of household so that our clan may avoid complete ruin.”

The Empress Dowager nodded. “I see, it certainly makes sense for you to think this way.” The old woman reached for her teacup, which Kayla hastily refilled for her. Kayla watched anxiously as the Empress Dowager emptied the cup, setting it back down with barely a clink.

“Do you know why the Three Departments are still left in the Grand Duke’s hands, even now that He Shirang and Liu Hongyu have been deposed?” The Empress Dowager asked gently.

Kayla nodded, hiding her frustration at the sudden change of topic. “Because you don’t want the princes to compete over them yet.”

The Empress Dowager nodded approvingly. “That’s right. And what about the Six Ministries? Do you think you’re ready to take them on?”

“The Ministries of Personnel and Justice are already balancing themselves out, Seventh Cousin’s gotten his men among the Ministers and so Third Cousin’s men have wormed their way into the Right and Left Secretariat positions. That means both are deadlocked in terms of power,” Kayla replied. “The Minister of Public Works is already neutral, so that leaves three more ministries open. The Ministry of War can’t be touched until after the Grand Duke’s taken down, or Minister Zhao might try to sabotage Fifth Cousin or Third Cousin’s maternal families. That could have disastrous consequences, so it’s probably best to avoid antagonizing him for now. Then as for the remaining two, shouldn’t the ideal balance be that the princes aren’t able to dominate any of the ministries?”

“You’ve got the gist of it. Ideally, it should be that each ministry is balanced out or at least balanced enough that we don’t have to worry about factional domination in any of them, but that’s not realistic. Even in the Ministries of Personnel and Justice, the vying between the upper ranks is starting to heat up,” the Empress Dowager replied. “Let’s say it like this: Three legs allow a cauldron to stand.”

“Two ministries for each faction,” Kayla muttered thoughtfully. “And what about the departments? One each?”

“Once we’ve secured the seat of Central Secretariat and the Department of State Affairs, the other two are open for competition,” the Empress Dowager explained. “As for the ministries, it’s practically set in stone that Kuang will dominate the Ministry of War. Between him and Yunqi, it’s a given that they enjoy military support. Kuang’s foothold in the Ministry of Personnel is very shaky, and he’s about to lose hold of it altogether, so that’s one for Xianchun as well. That leaves four more.”

“The Ministry of Justice is likely to be a tie, and adding in the Ministry of Public Works, the neutral faction already has a third. But is it really possible to achieve such a balance? The numbers may work out on paper, but surely it won’t be easy to maintain in practice,” Kayla asked.

“Remember, Wenyuan. These aren’t just simple math problems. Power is always shifting, always fluid, and the importance of each ministry is also changing at any given moment in time. Just because they’re neutral now doesn’t mean they’ll stay that way, and Xianchun’s hold over the Ministry of Personnel is much shakier than Kuang’s hold over the Ministry of War,” the Empress Dowager cautioned her.

Kayla frowned. “Then I should intervene in the Ministry of Justice? But I’m already balancing them out with the Court of Judicial Review.”

“When I say that three legs make a cauldron, I did not mean that they should be completely equal in weight and length. The neutral faction should always strive to maintain an advantage over both the other factions,” the Empress Dowager replied. “To do that, you need to completely grasp the judicial system. That itself would impose plenty of limitations on what either of them could do.”

“Both the Imperial Investigator’s Bureau and the Court of Judicial Review already answer to the Emperor, so that leaves the Ministry of Justice,” Kayla said.

The Empress Dowager gestured for Kayla to lean forward. Kayla obeyed, and the Empress Dowager reached into Kayla’s robes and pulled out the golden plaque she’d received before the Yue Wuxuan case.

“It’s dented,” the Empress Dowager commented.

“Apologies, grandmother. It was an accident.”

“Well, no matter. I’ll give you a replacement soon. Do you know the significance of this plaque?”

Kayla shook her head. It definitely had something to do with the Imperial Guards, but she had no idea what the connection was.

“This golden plaque is not just a simple token, but a symbol of Imperial authority. I have one, your mother had one, and your cousins have their own. Do you understand what this means?” The Empress Dowager asked gently.

Kayla stared at the plaque in shock for a moment before nodding.

Holy shit, it was something that important? Why didn’t she say so earlier? Wenyuan was the Emperor’s nephew, but only through his sister’s side and not through his brother’s, and given the patrilineal social structure, that basically meant he wasn’t a member of the Imperial Family at all, only counting among the higher-ranking nobles.

Even the Archdukes, the Emperor’s half-brothers, still faced severe restrictions on how much authority they could wield as members of the Imperial Family.

A symbol of Imperial authority? She bit the inside of her cheek, glancing at the Empress Dowager nervously.

So she probably feels I already have enough power and prestige...she won’t think of me as power-hungry, right?

“That’s why the Imperial Guard hastened to your aid even though they normally don’t intervene in such things. I hope you understand that this isn’t a privilege to be taken lightly,” the Empress Dowager said gently. She put the plaque back into Kayla’s robes, patting it gently. Kayla remained frozen in place, sweat dripping down her neck from the pressure the Empress Dowager was exuding.

“Between this plaque and your current position, both the Imperial Investigator’s Bureau and the Court of Judicial Review will answer to you. And you, you answer to the Emperor,” the Empress Dowager warned Kayla. The old woman’s voice was soft, but there was just enough of an edge to remind Kayla of how dangerous she was. “Remember what this means.”

Kayla gulped nervously. “I understand, grandmother. Please be at ease. Anything that I do, I do for the throne. I’m not interested in personal gain or power.”

“I know,” the Empress Dowager said. “That’s a wonderful quality to have. But remember, good qualities are easy to grow out of, while bad qualities cling on much more tenaciously. Good qualities require upkeep, they require you to reflect on yourself thrice each day and to move as though you’re walking on thin ice or the edge of a precipice. The Grand Duke was once in a similar position as you are now, serving the throne to clean out the court. But he made one wrong decision after another, and look where he is now. Even his own heir is seeking to oust him.”

Kayla felt vaguely nauseous with stress. The old woman’s gaze was startlingly similar to the Grand Duke’s eyes as he had glared at Kayla the moment he had recognized her as an opponent rather than just a rebellious brat. It was enough to send chills down her spine.

So that’s what she was going for after such a wide loop. Shit, I miscalculated. It must have been too much to directly pose the request, I should’ve waited for her to make an offer and then refused at least once! Fuck, I was too impatient.

“Thank you for the advice, grandmother. I’ll be sure to keep it close to my heart. In any case, I have no intention of following in the Grand Duke’s footsteps. If someone’s virtue doesn’t match their position, their relationship to me would not be part of the considerations,” Kayla replied. “Rather than how high my relatives can climb in life, I’m more interested in their personal refinement. They say the first step to establishing peace and prosperity throughout the country is personal growth, and unrestrained ambition is one of the first things that need to be culled in refining one’s virtue.”

Her heart pounding loudly, Kayla wanted to punch herself in the face. She’d dropped subtlety in favor of damage control, but there was still the issue of whether the Empress Dowager would buy it.

Confucius, please don’t let me down. Kayla had basically given her word that she wouldn’t protect a single clan member who was implicated in the Grand Duke’s crimes or attempt to replace them, which essentially removed the Zhao clan from the political scene altogether. Even if Kayla took over the position as the head of the clan, she would be taking the reins of a ruined house. If the Empress Dowager still wasn’t satisfied, then that meant they were aiming for complete extermination.

The Empress Dowager smiled affectionately. There was a subtle shift in her demeanor, and she once again was Wenyuan’s loving grandmother, offering advice for her grandson’s career.

“Indeed, the most important duty one has to their family is ensuring their health and happiness,” the Empress Dowager said. Kayla felt a rush of relief that the Empress Dowager seemed to be letting her off the hook, but she couldn't quite push away the exhausted annoyance thrumming through her chest.

“Wenyuan, don’t blame this grandmother for nagging at you. I’m saying this to you now so you don’t have to hear it when things have already progressed too far for you to turn back,” the Empress Dowager said. “I understand your character, and you’ve proven to me time and again that you value the country over your personal glory or even that of your clan. But you also need to be very aware of how each of your actions can be interpreted by people who know nothing about you. Even if you don’t take a step yourself, they may push you onto a path you’re unwilling to take. In the palace and in the court, caution is your greatest friend.”

Kayla nodded. “Understood, grandmother. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom.”

That wasn’t a refusal, but it sure as hell wasn’t acceptance either. It's true that the plaque gives me a lot more prestige than I've earned, but it wasn't like I could've made use of it since I never even knew myself. Not to mention, she didn't explain what set the plaque off.

The plaque hadn't launched any communication magic or offered any protections, serving effectively fewer functions than the talismans Kayla bought off the street. The Imperial Guards had indeed gone to Kayla's aid, but they certainly hadn't acted as though they were responding to an emergency. They had extra rotations of guards stationed at key points throughout the city to ensure the safety of the palace, if they wanted to get to the Zhao household quickly, they could've gotten there in minutes. Even Li Que, who came all the way from the Bureau, got there faster than them.

She felt a twinge of outrage at the injustice of the situation. It was still difficult to say whether this situation was the result of the Empress Dowager's mistake or by design, but was Kayla's request really so unreasonable when her situation clearly warranted it? Kayla had to force her thoughts into silence to focus on the Empress Dowager's words.

The Empress Dowager patted Kayla on the shoulder. “As your elder, it's only proper that I offer you advice. Now, let’s talk about the Ministry of Justice.”

“Investigator Tabuyir is currently wrapping up his investigation of the Ministry of Justice, since you were involved in initiating the case, you should discuss it with him and Investigator Li Que,” the Empress Dowager said pointedly. “As for the replacements for the personnel who were implicated, I leave it to you.”

“To me?” Kayla asked hesitantly. “Grandmother, I appreciate your faith in my abilities, but I truly do not dare to take on such a task. Personnel should either be handled by the Ministry of Personnel or assigned by the Emperor or Three Departments, how can I, a Minister of the Court of Judicial Review make these decisions?”

“It’s good that you’re cautious not to overstep your role, but you also shouldn’t refuse the responsibilities you have been given. Handle this however you see fit,” the Empress Dowager assured her.

Kayla bowed her head. “Understood, grandmother. Thank you for entrusting this duty to me.”

The Empress Dowager looked Kayla over, her expression softening at the exhaustion on Kayla’s face.

“Take the day off tomorrow,” the Empress Dowager suggested. “Do you remember the house under your mother’s name on the city's outskirts? It’s been a while since you last visited there, hasn’t it?”

Kayla gave a hesitant smile to hide her confusion.

Wenyuan, which house is this?

What house?

What? You don’t know either? After a moment of pure and unadulterated confusion, Kayla came to a realization. Ohhhhh, ok. I think I get it now.

“Indeed, it’s been so long I barely remember it,” Kayla said, tinging her voice with regret. The Empress Dowager smiled, looking rather pleased that Kayla had picked up the cue.

A secret house on the outskirts that we never knew about? It must be her research lab, Kayla realized. The Empress Dowager must be giving me access to this information in compensation for what happened tonight, especially since she’s refusing to give a clear answer about taking over the Zhao clan. But she is handing me the reins of the neutral faction, so I guess she’s balancing it out her own way.

Mother had a secret research lab?! And she didn’t tell me?! Wenyuan sounded genuinely offended at the thought.

That’s the part you’re focusing on?

“I’ll have Sir Yang send a carriage,” the Empress Dowager said. Kayla nodded, recognizing the name as the elderly eunuch who had taken her into the palace during the Li Sanjin case.

“Thank you, grandmother. I’d be very grateful for the reprieve,” Kayla replied.

“Before you leave, I wish to meet with that new employee of yours.” the Empress Dowager said. Kayla fought to keep herself from stiffening.

Damn, I sure hope I haven’t dragged Hu Qing into trouble.

“Of course, grandmother. I believe he’s waiting outside,” Kayla said obediently. “His name is Hu Qing, he saved my life tonight.”

“Excellent,” the Empress Dowager smiled at her. “Call him in.” One of the serving maids peeled off to do so, returning with Hu Qing in tow.

Hu Qing exchanged a panicked glance with Kayla before kneeling and bowing his head to the floor. “This lowly commoner Hu Qing humbly greets Her Majesty the Empress Dowager! May Her Majesty live for thousands of years!”

“Please rise,” the Empress Dowager said. She made to continue, but stopped short, staring in shock at Hu Qing’s face.

“Grandmother?” Kayla prompted.

After a short moment, the Empress Dowager smiled, her surprised expression melting away.

“Wenyuan here tells me that you saved his life,” the Empress Dowager said. “You’ve done me a great service by saving my only maternal grandson, what would you like for a reward?”

“I-I don’t dare to hope for one,” Hu Qing stammered, glancing at Kayla nervously. She gave him an encouraging look, helpless to do much else for him.

“How humble,” the Empress Dowager remarked approvingly. She regally lifted her hand, gesturing at the serving maids. “Reward Hu Qing with two-hundred gold and ten bolts of Hangzhou brocade. From now on, he will be permitted to wear brocade.”

A single bolt of palace-quality Zhejiang brocade was worth at least a hundred silver. While it was prohibited to sell rewards from the Imperial Palace, it was still a hefty amount to have on hand.

“That’s too much, Your Majesty! I don’t dare to accept so much,” Hu Qing protested. Kayla hesitated, not sure if she should jump in.

“Is my grandson’s life not worth at least this much? You must accept it,” the Empress Dowager said firmly.

Kayla cleared her throat. “Hu Qing, since the Empress Dowager is giving you a reward, you should accept her generosity.”

Hu Qing bowed his head to the ground again. “I apologize for my rudeness and gratefully accept! I am eternally thankful, Your Majesty.”

“Raise your head, you are well-deserving of this reward,” the Empress Dowager said. Her smile took on a far-off look, her voice tinted with nostalgia.

“But really, your words just now brought back old memories. You look just like your father.”

Kayla stared at the Empress Dowager in shock.

“Um,” Hu Qing replied. He was sweating bullets and looked as though he would rather be anywhere but here. “A-as you say, Your Majesty.”

“Especially around the eyes,” the Empress Dowager remarked. “And the shape of your face as well. It almost feels as though I’m looking at the late Lord Liang again.”

Kayla’s eyes widened in surprise.

Wait, the late Lord Liang?! That’s who his dad is?! Then isn’t he-

“You must be his youngest son, Liang Hongfei,” the Empress Dowager continued. “Are you using Hu Qing as a pseudonym?”

Oh shit, I fucking knew it! He was too good-looking not to be a character!

“It…it is as you say, Your Majesty,” Hu Qing said weakly, looking as though he wanted to sink through the floor. The Empress Dowager turned toward Kayla with a smile.

“How wonderful, Wenyuan. You’ve found yourself quite a talented employee,” the Empress Dowager said pleasantly. It was Kayla’s turn to want to sink through the floor.

Fuck, please don’t misunderstand again, Kayla silently pleaded. I’m really not trying to mess with the Liang family’s internal affairs!

“Thank you, grandmother,” Kayla said. She bit back her urge to explain, knowing it would just cause more trouble. “Though we haven’t known each other long, Hu Qing saved my life tonight. He’s a very reliable young man, and I have a lot of expectations for his future.”

“What excellent news,” the Empress Dowager said, her eyes crinkling as she smiled. Kayla felt a small rush of relief, seeing that the Empress Dowager hadn’t come to the wrong conclusion. “Liang Hongfei, I’d like to appoint you as my grandson’s guard, will you accept?”

Hu Qing and Kayla balked a little at the loaded question. The Empress Dowager was still insisting on using Hu Qing’s identity as a member of the Liang clan, singlehandedly turning this from Kayla’s own affairs to a politically fraught issue.

Kayla had put the pieces together the second the Empress Dowager mentioned the late Lord Liang.

I should've guessed from Hu Qing's family situation!

Liang Hongfei had been a minor character in the original novel, the son of the late Lord Liang and a young courtesan. The late Lord Liang had fled the capital during the reign of the previous Emperor after General Liang had been framed and his family persecuted. It was during this period of time that he ended up meeting Hongfei's mother. After having Liang Hongfei, the late Lord Liang passed away shortly before the family had been properly reinstated, and Liang Hongfei immediately lost his only protection within the Liang clan.

He had emerged in the novel's narrative almost a year into the battle of succession to blackmail Minister Liang for the position of the head of household with evidence of the various deeds Minister Liang had done for Xianchun’s sake, damning enough to crush both the Liang clan and the Seventh Prince. Backed into a corner, Minister Liang had chosen to relinquish his seat to his younger brother rather than endanger the Seventh Prince, but Xianchun had intervened on Minister Liang’s behalf.

After some plots and maneuvers, Minister Liang retained his seat and Liang Hongfei turned up dead a while later. It had only been a minor arc for the sake of cementing the trust between Minister Liang and Xianchun, leading to Minister Liang becoming Xianchun’s father-in-law.

But now, with Hu Qing right in front of her, Kayla couldn’t muster anything but outrage on Hu Qing’s behalf. Minister Liang was the asshole who forced his younger brother to live as an illegitimate child, and yet Hu Qing’s death was only used as a catalyst for Xianchun’s harem development. Kayla could imagine things eventually going down that route if Hu Qing’s relationship with Minister Liang had continued to worsen, but now, Hu Qing didn’t seem particularly interested in political power at all.

The problem was whether the Empress Dowager saw it that way.

“Your Majesty, I don’t dare to covet anything such as a formal position. I am but a simple man with simple desires, I know my limits and abide by them well. I chose to live freely as Hu Qing rather than take on my responsibilities as Liang Hongfei for that very reason. Please forgive my rudeness, but it would go against my conscience to accept something I am unworthy of,” Hu Qing replied, nervous enough that his voice was wavering. His delivery wasn’t great, but the answer should’ve been passable.

Kayla anxiously watched the Empress Dowager’s reaction. For a long moment, the old woman’s face was completely impassive, but she finally gave a smile.

“It’s rare to see a young man who chooses to steadily progress step by step rather than trying to quickly rise upon azure clouds. Your attitude is commendable. Since you have such a clear understanding of your own goals and value, then I’ll happily accommodate you. But without a formal position, you won’t be able to do your job properly,” the Empress Dowager said. She gestured for her serving maid. The serving maid approached, a bronze plaque in her hands. She bowed as she handed it to the Empress Dowager before scuttling off again.

“This will allow you to act freely while working for my grandson,” the Empress Dowager said, holding it out to Hu Qing. Hu Qing shuffled forward on his knees, taking the plaque with both hands.

“Thank you very much, Your Majesty!” Hu Qing quickly bowed his head to the floor.

“Whether it’s cooperation from the City Guard or access to restricted areas, you may use this plaque as needed,” the Empress Dowager said.

“Thank you, grandmother,” Kayla said, bowing her head. “With this, both I and Hu Qing will have a much easier time.”

Hu Qing nodded his head furiously, having shuffled back to a respectful distance from the Empress Dowager.

“Good, good. I’m sure he’ll do well,” the Empress Dowager said, her voice taking on a far-off tone. “Work hard, Liang Hongfei. You’ll be certain to receive a suitable reward.”

Just what is she planning now? She has the look of someone who just added a new piece to the board.

Hu Qing hastily bowed his head again, gulping nervously. “I don’t dare to wish for any further reward, Minister Zhao is already a generous employer.”

That drew out a burst of laughter from the Empress Dowager.

“What an amusing response,” the Empress Dowager chuckled. The old woman laughed mirthfully, Kayla laughing along to be polite.

The Empress Dowager smiled, looking much more relaxed than she had before. “Alright then, it’s rather late, don’t let this old woman keep you from your beds. Wenyuan, why don’t you take a rest at your mother’s house tonight?”

“Gladly, grandmother. Then I take my leave of you, please have a good rest,” Kayla bowed her head, Hu Qing bowing his head to the ground again. The Empress Dowager nodded, waving for them to go. Kayla and Hu Qing gladly took their leave, careful not to seem too eager.

A familiar eunuch greeted them as they exited the building and stepped into the cool night air.

“Minister Zhao,” the eunuch bowed.

“Sir Yang, it’s been a while,” Kayla greeted him.

“The Empress Dowager has ordered me to accompany you and take care of your needs at the Imperial Princess’ villa,” the eunuch said.

“Then I’ll be in your care.” Kayla discreetly took out a small bag of silver coins from her robes, slipping it into the eunuch’s sleeve.

“No, no, Minister,” the eunuch protested. Familiar with the ritual, Kayla insistently pushed away his hand as he tried to return it.

“No, really, I insist,” Kayla said. The eunuch bowed slightly.

“Then since the Minister’s generosity is so overwhelming, I’ll gratefully accept,” the eunuch said. At Kayla’s affirming nod, he gestured for them to follow.

“This way, Minister. The carriage is ready.”

Kayla glanced at Hu Qing, raising her eyebrows slightly. Hu Qing gulped in response, shifting his gaze to avoid her eyes. The two followed the eunuch in awkward silence to the carriage.


Cultural Notes

City Guard and Imperial Guard/禁卫军: This varied by dynasty, but generally speaking, the city guard and the Imperial Guard of the capital all answered directly to the Imperial Palace. The Imperial Guard tends to have higher social and symbolic status, and are often described in literary tradition as more loyal and more prideful than their City Guard counterparts, as they serve the Imperial family in a closer capacity.

Guard Details: Stemming from the Zhou Dynasty (pre-Qin dynasty) tradition of socio-cultural-legal rites that enforce class hierarchies, there tended to be legal limits on what you could or could not do based on rank. This included what symbols you were allowed to use, and in some situations, which religious rituals you were allowed to perform and where you were allowed to perform them. In many dynasties, this also included the number of guards you could employ for your household, as well as the number of guards in your guard detail, and what kind of weapons they were allowed to bear (for example, not allowing them to wear blades on the street).

变幻莫测/[To undergo] Many changes that cannot be foreseen: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the Tang Dynasty, meaning that a situation changes too frequently to be predictable.

最是无情帝王家/Most heartless is the Imperial family: An Ancient Chinese proverb from a famous poet of the Tang Dynasty, Bai Juyi/白居易's poem 后宫词/Song of the Imperial Harem, which laments the fate of a concubine who has lost the Emperor's affections to her peers. It produced the famous lines "红颜未老恩先断/Though my beauty has yet to fade, the Emperor's love [for me] has ended", and "最是无情帝王家/Most heartless of all is the Imperial family."

Three Departments and Six Ministries: The institutions that the Imperial Court/central administration were composed of. The Three Departments rank above the Six Ministries, and have an internal hierarchy as well. The highest of the three is the Department of State Affairs headed by the Central Secretariat (currently the Grand Duke, this position was so powerful that it was often left empty except for when the Crown Prince held the seat during a good chunk of the Tang Dynasty), followed by the Secretariat Department, headed by the Secretariat Director, and finally, the Chancellery, headed by the Director of the Chancellery. Below the Three Departments are the Six Ministries, including the Ministry of Rites, the Ministry of Personnel, the Ministry of War, the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Revenue, and the Ministry of Public Works. For more details on each of these and their functions, please refer to the Glossary/Character Index page.

三足鼎立/Three legs allow a cauldron to stand: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the Han Dynasty, referring to a Triumvariate structure of dividing power three ways, usually three opposing factions who are then able to balance each other out. One of the most famous examples is the three kingdoms from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, though this is arguably a failed example since it led to bloody and protracted wars.

三省吾身/Reflect upon yourself thrice a day: An Ancient Chinese proverb stemming from The Analects by Confucius and his students, this is from a quote by the wise man 曾子/Zeng Zi, who said "吾日三省吾身,为人谋而不忠乎?与朋友交而不信乎?传不习乎?/I reflect upon myself thrice daily, am I loyal enough in serving others? Am I trustworthy enough in my friendships? Do I myself practice what I teach to others?" This later developed into a cultural tradition of constantly reflecting on yourself to see where you have failed and where you can improve.

如履薄冰,如临深渊/As though walking upon thin ice, as though walking along a deep abyss: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the pre-Qin canonical literature, 诗经/The Poetry Classic. It refers to acting extremely cautiously and refraining from indulging oneself.

攘除奸凶/Getting rid of the evil and traitorous: An Ancient Chinese proverb from the 前出师表/The First Northern Expeditionary Memorial by 诸葛亮/Zhuge Liang/Zhuge Kongming, the famous strategist of the Shu Kingdom from the Three Kingdoms Era (post-Han dynasty). This memorial was a letter he wrote to the young emperor of the Shu Kingdom before departing on an expedition to try and restore the Han Dynasty in accordance with the wishes of his late master, Liu Bei. This piece is also the source of many classic quotes and proverbs and is widely known in modern China.

德不配位/Virtue does not match their position: An Ancient Chinese proverb used to criticize someone as not being virtuous enough to deserve a position of power.

修身齐家治国平天下/Refine oneself, organize one's family, govern one's country, bring peace to all under heaven: Another Confucian concept, this is extensively discussed in 大学/Great Learning, one of the four classics of Confucianism (论语,孟子,大学,中庸). The context for this is during the Warring States era of pre-Qin China, after the power of the Zhou Dynasty had been splintered into many small countries, hence the concept of "bring peace to all under heaven/平天下". It was believed that to achieve this lofty goal, you first had to be able to govern your own country well. To do so, you need to be able to organize your family properly (this referred to the large extended family/clan system), and to do that, you needed to become a proper person yourself, hence the need to refine yourself. This later became applied on a micro-level to literati, whose goal of "bringing peace to all under heaven" was redirected towards serving your dynasty and helping it to prosper. Since this is a core concept and was widely used as rhetoric and also central to Confucian learning, it was often used in a variety of arguments.

Proto-Mongolian Tribes: Ancient China had a long history of invasion and counter-invasion with proto-Mongolian tribes to the north from as early as the pre-Qin era. During the Tang Dynasty, the Turkic Khaganates and later the Uyghur Khaganate dominated the Mongolian Plateau, and the proto-Mongolian tribes encompassed a diverse range of peoples, from the Khitan (Liao Dynasty) to the Jurchen (eventually became the Qing Dynasty) groups. Tabuyir's name is taken from a Mongolian general who served Ogedei Khan under the Mongolian Empire, though this would be several centuries before the unification of the proto-Mongolian tribes, before Turkic dominance in the region had collapsed.

Right to wear silk/brocade: In many dynasties, commoners/non-officials were prohibited from wearing silk or brocade, though this was often not enforced very strictly. It would have been a great honor to be given permission to wear silk/brocade.

Hangzhou Brocade: The Jiangnan/Zhejiang geographic region of China has long been known for its great natural environment and resources that have allowed it to become an area of high population density, acting as a cultural, economic, and social hub throughout the dynasties. Its silk production is also widely recognized as being of high quality due to the concentration of tradesmen.

青云直上/To rise straight up on azure clouds: An Ancient Chinese proverb meaning to enjoy a drastic increase in status within a very short period of time.

Bribing eunuchs: A long-standing cultural tradition in most dynasties. Since the eunuchs serve the Emperor closest and best understand his moods, likes, and dislikes, and were in the best position to speak for and against you, it was common practice to offer some incentives/show some appreciation.

3