70-Imperial Edict Bearer
71 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Note: Advanced chapters are now available on my Patreon!


Kayla entered her second meeting with Hu Weizhi much more confidently than she had the first. She was careful not to let it show on her face too much, for fear of offending the stuffy old codger, but she felt as though she had things under control. Kayla had the advantage in terms of information, and she’d made sure to let Hu Weizhi know as much last time. Now, the rumors about Wenyuan were rapidly changing direction, and Kayla had received the backing of the Imperial Edict Bearer Wei Guang. Even if Hu Weizhi didn’t want to, he had no reason not to cooperate.

One certainly wouldn’t think as much, given the glarfe Hu Weizhi shot Kayla as soon as she entered the room.

What did I do now? Does he mind the brothel visit this much?

“Greetings, Minister Hu,” Kayla said politely. The other traditionalists were in the adjacent rooms again, and Kayla had made her peace with that.

“Minister Zhao, you’re positively glowing. Are you that happy about Sun Ruhui's promotion?” Hu Weizhi said coldly. “Truly, success suits you well, does it not?”

Kayla bowed her head slightly, looking suitably admonished. “Minister, I am merely glad for the sake of my former subordinate. He is a talented man.”

Two seconds in and he’s nitpicking? Jesus Christ.

“You would do well to avoid following in your grandfather’s footsteps in only promoting your kin and those close to you,” Hu Weizhi snapped. Kayla frowned slightly, taken aback by the accusation.

“I would not dare, I consulted with various others in the Emperor’s close confidence before going through with this decision,” Kayla said, thinking of Tabuyir and Li Que. To her surprise, Hu Weizhi paled in response and let the topic go.

“In the short time since our parting, Minister Zhao has been keeping busy, I’m surprised you even had the interest in joining this old man here again,” Hu Weizhi grunted.

“But of course. Minister, I do beg your pardon for not reaching out earlier,” Kayla said. Hu Weizhi only shook his head.

“I know what you were waiting for,” he said incomprehensibly. “Forget it.”

Sensing that he wasn’t appeased in the slightest, and in fact, seemed to grow even more annoyed, Kayla tried again. “In ancient times, when the Duke of Zhen apologized to Zhuzhi Wu for not employing his talents earlier, Zhuzhi Wu forgave him and threw his heart into saving the kingdom. Your Excellency, as a man of virtue, would you not accept my sincere regrets and forgive this one for his errors?”

Hu Weizhi let out a huff. “Well, it certainly wouldn’t do to be criticized by my juniors for being an unforgiving man with a smaller stomach than a chicken. Then let’s continue our discussion from last time. Minister Zhao, you mentioned the tension between the Third Prince and the Seventh Prince, would you kindly elaborate on that?”

“Of course, and what would you like to know?” Kayla asked.

“Your plans to deal with them, Minister. What else is there to ask of?” Hu Weizhi asked impatiently. Kayla sensed something strange in Hu Weizhi’s eyes, but couldn’t place a finger on it.

Is he trying to get me to say something damning?

Kayla chose her words carefully. “We won’t so much need to deal with them, per se. Our role is not to meddle, but to moderate. The princes are men of virtue, raised with the teachings of the ancient greats, they themselves are unlikely to escalate their rivalry to the brink, but the hearts of a crowd are difficult to grasp. By moderating, not only should we protect the court’s stability, but we should also protect the princes from being fooled or manipulated by sycophants who pose as loyal supporters.”

“A most thankless task, I assure you. It is far more difficult and dangerous than you realize, not only will each of the princes suspect you for working with the other, all of their supporters will speak ill of you and seek to poison the princes’ hearts against you,” Hu Weizhi warned.

“I understand,” Kayla said placidly.

“It will not only affect you, but us as well,” Hu Weizhi pointed out.

“Then I will have to increase my communication with the princes in order to remedy this,” Kayla assured him.

“That is not enough,” Hu Weizhi snapped. “Do you believe the ties of blood would spare you from their wrath? Would spare us? You think too highly of yourself!”

“It is not my blood that I think they would value, but my objective evaluation of the situation,” Kayla replied. “They are men of wisdom, even if my words are not immediately accepted, they will ponder upon them and judge their worth later on. What can a man do but try his best? I will do just that, and the princes’ virtues will determine the rest. No matter what, I will be at the forefront of all this, their anger will have a clear target.”

Hu Weizhi shook his head. “You say this now, having had no experience of their hostility being actively directed at you. Once you actually face them head-on, you will not be able to withstand it.”

“I have withstood the Grand Duke,” Kayla pointed out. “He has not softened any blows against me.”

“That and this are not the same,” Hu Weizhi stressed. “You are his grandson after all.”

Kayla sighed and shook her head. “Minister, I already promised to you to shoulder the responsibility, did I not? Why is it that you still hesitate in this manner? Could it be that you are afraid?”

Hu Weizhi bristled. “You are the last one who should be calling me a coward!”

Kayla was well aware that she was morally blackmailing him, and he did as well, but the point was to make it clear to the traditionalists listening in from the adjacent rooms, and to make it difficult for them to conscientiously refuse. The whole point of this meeting was to give them a staircase to step down on after having rejected Kayla before. Both parties were well aware of this, but the actual process was more trial and error than anything else. Kayla racked her brain for a moment before finding the right words.

“I went against my own family to do what’s right, but that only damns me in your eyes rather than proving my determination. Minister, it seems to me that you merely wish to avoid conflict. So what if it is a thankless task? Why did Jingwei try to fill the sea? Why did the foolish man try to move the mountain? Their tasks seemed hopeless but they could not abandon them. You can say it was foolish or stubborn, but I say it was duty. Minister Hu, it’s fine no matter what misgivings you have about me, I can accept some and ignore others. But if it’s the role that we have been given that you have misgivings about, then I have no more to say,” Kayla said, turning up the moral blackmailing to max levels.

Hu Weizhi looked at her with relief, signaling that the excuse was good enough that he could now accept without losing too much face.

“Minister Zhao, your words bring me immense relief,” Hu Weizhi finally said after a long silence. “Listening to you speak has cleared the concerns I held, I will bring the old-timers in line.”

The impromptu speech Kayla was partially through clumsily choked back down her throat. She had expected this to drag on quite a while longer, but Hu Weizhi apparently found this to be enough.

“Wait, really?” Kayla croaked, stunned at the unexpected development.

“You are right in saying that I value my reputation,” Hu Weizhi said matter-of-factly. “But I was wrong in assuming you were a useless figurehead pomped up by a sudden show of your uncle’s favor. Minister Zhao, it seems that you are indeed qualified enough for me to entrust my future in your hands.”

Kayla creased her brow in confusion.

“What about the unfilial behavior?” Kayla asked, giving him a chance to cover all his bases.

“That itself does not matter, it was the matter of your qualifications that I was truly concerned about. You entered the court as soon as you’d turned twenty and immediately became a fourth rank official in one of the Six Ministries. Unlike you, I’m from a commoner’s family. My entire clan pooled their resources to allow me to become a scholar, and even so, it took me ten years at the cold window before I even qualified. The year after that, I passed the national exam but was only ranked thirty-sixth. I started out as a low-ranking bureaucrat, and only made my way up to the rank of Minister after years and years of slowly climbing the ranks,” Hu Weizhi recounted. He let out a deep sigh, a faraway look in his eyes.

Kayla let him continue his tangent. It was his turn to provide a moral justification for accepting a deal, to both the traditionalists and to Kayla. Perhaps he even needed to justify it to himself.

“Now, my clan is well-respected not only in our village but the entire region, for having turned out a Minister. I’ve paid for the reconstruction of the ancestral shrines, the creation of a school, and repairs to the waterways, my kin and neighbors live better now than any of our ancestors have before. The younger generation of my family has produced several scholars and doctors. It took me a great deal of effort to get here, with no small sacrifices from my clan. If I remain safely in my position, I do no harm to this country, and greatly benefit my home. But if I were to foolishly throw my lot in with a self-righteous man with plenty of delusions and little else, I risk all of that, and for what? It is not that I refuse to make sacrifices, but that I refuse to make sacrifices for an unworthy cause.”

Kayla slowly took a deep breath, glancing away from Hu Weizhi. The man’s story struck a little too close to home, sounding way too much like that of her own parents for comfort.

“That’s fair,” Kayla said in a measured tone. “Your entire family is relying on your success, and they’ve thrown in more than enough to expect you to take the safe and steady route rather than risk it all for power struggles between the elites. Whatever duties you have as an official, you can’t abandon your duty towards them.”

“It is as you say,” Hu Weizhi replied. “To be honest, I had no intention of cooperating with you. Even if you weren’t the Grand Duke’s grandson, you’re still a young and inexperienced noble who grew up amidst great privilege. You’ve been coddled in court and constantly protected from any attacks upon you.”

Kayla grimaced a little. Wenyuan’s situation had been a bit more complex than that, but it was true that he never had to struggle desperately for political survival the way other officials did.

“But hearing you speak today, it seems that my preconceptions of you have been biased. You have a strong sense of responsibility and are willing to shoulder the risks, but not monopolize the rewards. Most importantly, you have a very clear understanding of your position and your abilities. That’s not easy to find among young men who come to power so quickly,” Hu Weizhi said, reiterating his reasoning for the eavesdroppers. “If you can guarantee that we will not become scapegoats for your sake, I can guarantee that I will fulfill my duty even if it crushes my bones and breaks my body.”

“I promise,” Kayla said without hesitation. “I will never push one of you into the line of fire to serve as my shield, nor will I ask you to make sacrifices that I would not make myself. Just like what I promised before, if we succeed, the merit belongs to you all. If we fail, the responsibility lies with me.”

She repeated her guarantee from last time, emphasizing it for their audience.

“Excellent! Those words are worth more than gold,” Hu Weizhi said triumphantly. “I trust that you will keep the promise you’ve made today, lest you be mocked for going back on your words.”

Words that at least eight people heard, yes.

“I’m willing to shoulder the risk, so I hope you all can show your enthusiasm as well,” Kayla said, giving him a conspirational smile.

“Of course,” Hu Weizhi replied.

“Then, let’s replace wine with tea for this occasion,” Kayla said, refilling Hu Weizhi’s cup first and then her own. “To the neutral faction.”

“And to its new leader,” Hu Weizhi said. The two clinked cups before downing the tea.


“Congratulations, Minister! I’m surprised those old men didn’t come out from the other rooms to give their greetings,” Hu Qing said cheerfully as Kayla finished giving him a quick summary. Their carriage was headed back to the Zhao household, Kayla being more than ready to call it a night.

“They wouldn’t openly declare they were listening in,” Kayla said drily.

“I mean, with how obvious they were being? They might as well have,” Hu Qing scoffed. Their carriage pulled to a stop, and Hu Qing frowned.

“Stay in the carriage,” he warned Kayla before opening the window. “Hey, uncle! What’s going on?”

The horseman gave Hu Qing a quick apology. “A man waved for us to stop, he’s dressed like a nobleman’s secretary so I didn’t think it would be good to ignore him.”

“Well, ask him what he wants then,” Hu Qing said. The horseman waved over the secretary and exchanged a few words with him, not straying too far from the carriage.

After a moment, the horseman returned. “He’s the secretariat of the Imperial Edict Bearer,” the horseman said in awe. “Minister, the Imperial Edict Bearer wants to speak with you.”

Kayla frowned, glancing at Hu Qing. Hu Qing shrugged.

“Doesn’t seem like an ambush. I don’t sense anyone who can fight,” he said.

Kayla nodded at the horseman. “Tell him we’ll gladly accept.”

The carriage changed course, following the secretary who led them on horseback to the Wei household. Wei Guang’s household was different from that of any other official. Clans like the Zhao and Liang had a strong foundation in the dynasty, and thus had their own magnificent complexes in the capital. Others who gained power later tended to gain plenty of money as well and would either buy or construct their own complexes.

Wei Guang’s residence, on the other hand, was gifted to him by the Emperor. Wei Guang had come from a poor family which had also been very large and had spent most of his salary on paying for the dowries of his numerous nieces, the education of his equally numerous nephews, and the care for and burials of his various older relatives. As a result, despite being the head of the Hanlin Academy, he lived in a very small and humble house for years.

The Emperor, upon hearing of it, did not believe it at first and sent men to check if the rumors were true. One after another, they all reported that Wei Guang indeed lived in an extremely humble house, wearing simple clothes and eating no better than a commoner when he was not at work. The Emperor was deeply touched to learn of this, as it not only signaled Wei Guang’s virtue but also his loyalty. As the head of the Hanlin Academy, Wei Guang only needed to say a few good words for this person or that before the Emperor and easily earn enough money to live extremely well, but it was evident that he hadn’t been taking any bribes at all.

The Emperor secretly bought a residence for Wei Guang, and then, according to the rumors, personally brought Wei Guang to view it, asking the man for his opinion of the place. Thoroughly confused, Wei Guang assumed that the Emperor wished to gift the building to one of the princes and advised the Emperor against gifting property in the center of the capital to any one of his sons unless he wished to name them the heir. The Emperor had been deeply amused and burst out laughing, before finally informing Wei Guang that the residence was for him, not for one of the princes.

It did sound like something the Emperor would do, and Kayla had to admit now that she was in the residence, that the Emperor had pretty good taste. She was led into Wei Guang’s private study, Hu Qing waiting outside.

Wei Guang got up from his seat at the desk to greet her. He smiled at her, looking every inch the fond elder rather than the impervious Imperial Edict Bearer.

“This junior humbly greets the Imperial Edict Bearer,” Kayla said politely, bowing her head.

“Minister Zhao, thank you for joining me at such a late hour,” Wei Guang replied. “Please take a seat.”

“You’re much too kind, Imperial Edict Bearer,” Kayla said, determined to grab onto the opportunity. “It is an honor to be invited by Your Excellency. This one is junior to you in all accounts, whether it is virtue, experience, or knowledge. If you would not be disdainful, please call me by my name.”

“We are officials who serve in the same court, how can I forego etiquette?” Wei Guang chided in a light tone. “But Minister Zhao’s humbleness impresses me, if you do not mind, I can call you by name in private settings.”

“I would be honored,” Kayla replied.

“You looked to be in high spirits, Wenyuan,” Wei Guang said. “Did something good happen?”

“Your Excellency must have heard of the changes to the neutral faction in the last few months, it is shameful for me to admit, but I was so overwhelmed that I was unable to pay attention to the traditionalists until recently,” Kayla explained. “As such, it was difficult to create a united front.”

“And it would seem you have resolved that?” Wei Guang asked, a small smile tugging at his lips.

“Despite my failings, I managed to convince Minister Hu, who was generous enough to extend his support,” Kayla said, pleased despite herself.

Wei Guang smiled back, an amused glint in his eyes. Something about it tipped her off. Kayla took in his reaction, finally understanding what was going on. She hastily bowed her head.

Ah, damn it. I didn’t convince Hu Weizhi to do shit.

“I see, I didn’t convince him at all, did I? This junior was arrogant, I am grateful to the Imperial Edict Bearer for his help,” Kayla quickly said.

Wei Guang let out a chuckle, patting Kayla on the shoulder.

“You’re quite an astute youngster! Do not overthink this, it is nothing less than what you deserve,” Wei Guang laughed. “I’m surprised that I have not hurt your pride.”

Kayla shook her head. “Not at all, Imperial Edict Bearer.”

Why the fuck would I care as long as Hu Weizhi’s convinced?

Wei Guang nodded approvingly. “It is a good trait to see in one such as you. Most young men in your position, no, even those who are older and should know better, would become proud upon receiving the Emperor’s boundless favor. You, on the other hand, have not become arrogant or careless, but rather have become more like your mother than you ever have before.”

Kayla perked up at the obvious prompt. “Your Excellency, you knew my mother?”

“Knew her? Indeed, I most certainly did! I wrote the celebratory praise for the occasion of her birth, and later I was her teacher for the Four Books and Five Classics when she was a child. I was also the one to write the words for the commemorative plaque for her marriage, and for her memorial plaque after her passing,” Wei Guang said.

“I apologize for my ignorance. Your Excellency truly is someone that my family is indebted to,” Kayla said respectfully.

“There is no debt to speak of, I was only fulfilling my duties as a subject should. It truly is lamentable, your mother was like a night-blooming cereus, her brilliance flashing into existence and disappearing with the blink of an eye,” Wei Guang lamented. “I bore witness to the entire course of your mother’s life, but despite my hopes for her to enjoy a long and happy life, one cannot go against the will of the heavens.”

Kayla lowered her head, not knowing what words to say.

Hey, Wenyuan?!

Don’t ask me! My mother never even mentioned him! I mean, grandmother probably brought it up at some point, but I don’t remember!

“It seems that I have upset you, I apologize,” Wei Guang said gently. Kayla quickly shook her head.

“That is not the case, Your Excellency. I was merely taken aback. I had thought I knew my mother, but I only knew her as a child knows one’s parents, and it is now too late for me to know her any better than I did,” Kayla replied.

Wei Guang gave her a kind smile. “All children have the same regrets regarding their parents. But if you wish to know more about your mother, you may always come to me. I cannot claim to have known her best, but I can answer the questions you dare not ask your grandmother and uncle.”

Kayla bowed slightly. “Thank you, Imperial Edict Bearer. I am grateful for your kindness.”

Wei Guang shook his head. “No need, rather, I should apologize for having failed you. Your mother did not wish to be involved with the court after her marriage, and so I respected her wishes, but that was no excuse for not extending a helping hand towards you when you entered the court.”

Kayla looked at him in curiosity. “You did not owe it to me, Your Excellency. But may I ask why? From what I recall, we’ve scarcely interacted prior to your return.”

Wei Guang looked away from Kayla, his eyes growing clouded. He hesitated for a moment before finally replying. “I admit, it was because I thought you a lost cause. I was disappointed that someone like the Imperial Princess could have raised such a man, but it was a mistake on my part. You merely did not have the right conditions to show your true character, and that was partly my fault as well.”

Kayla jolted, taken aback by the straightforward confession. There was a wave of indignance from Wenyuan, and Kayla quickly lowered her head to hide her reaction.

Is he testing how I’ll react or does he want me to be upset? She frowned at the thought before quickly smoothing out her expression.

“It is my fault for having disappointed you,” Kayla replied politely. “I was rude in asking such a thing, please forgive me.”

Wei Guang carefully evaluated Kayla’s reaction as she maintained a calm expression.

“You do not resent this old man?” Wei Guang asked.

Kayla shook her head. “It was my own failings that caused my mother’s own teacher to turn his face from me. Despite my mother’s teachings and the kindness of my grandmother and uncle, I could not become a man who you would think kindly of, how can the fault lie with anyone but myself? To resent you would be the act of a foolish and cowardly man who does not wish to blame himself.”

Oh come on, Wenyuan was a pretty decent guy. It's your fault for being too picky.

Then again, the last thing she needed was to offend this guy. To her surprise, Wei Guang’s eyes grew misty.

“Your Excellency,” Kayla said in alarm. Why is he crying?! I thought he was just testing me!

Wei Guang quickly turned his face, wiping his eyes dry with a quick movement.

“Pray do not take heed, people grow more sentimental as they age,” Wei Guang said in a thick voice. “I only regret now that I had not chosen to extend a hand to you earlier. For you to have changed so much in the three years in which I was gone, you must have gone through a lot.”

He seemed sincere, but Kayla couldn’t bring herself to immediately trust him. Qu Boyong had once approached her with the same open-handed sincerity, genuine concern written on his face. Chujiao had once smiled at Wenyuan with all her heart, overflowing with affection and love for the man she’d grown up with.

None of it was enough. How fragile were people’s hearts to be trusted with her life? One could feel love and then hatred for the same person with equal vehemency only moments apart, and was Kayla meant to trust in that?

Well, no matter. Even if he’s choosing to help me out of nostalgia, I can still tangle him in with something more. I’ve already gotten a chance, isn’t that much better than nothing?

Reassuring herself, Kayla gently patted Wei Guang’s arm.

“There’s no need for you to think of such things, Your Excellency. To have your help at a time like this is better luck than I would have even dared to pray for,” Kayla said, carefully choosing her words to avoid overdoing it with her flattery.

Wei Guang chuckled, shaking his head. “You flatter me, Wenyuan. I would gladly offer my aid to you if you are willing to accept it.”

“I would be most grateful,” Kayla bowed her head.

Wei Guang smiled at her fondly. “I’m glad to hear of it. The last few days must have been quite a difficult time for you, did you at least enjoy your trip to your mother’s villa?”

Wait, what? Did the Empress Dowager tell him about that?

Kayla carefully watched his face as she maintained a look of polite curiosity. “Your Excellency knows of it?”

“Did you not see the words inscribed at the entrance?” Wei Guang asked in amusement. “It had my signature on it.”

Kayla had not seen them. “I apologize for my obtuse observations.”

Wei Guang chuckled. “No matter, but indeed, I certainly am familiar with the villa.”

Just how close was he to my mother?

Does he mean that he knows about the Imperial Princess’ findings? Or is he trying to get access to that through me?

“Your Excellency, would I be correct in guessing that you were the one who recommended my grandmother to send me there?” Kayla asked cautiously.

“Indeed,” Wei Guang replied. “That villa has been left empty since your mother’s death, your grandmother is getting on in years and has difficulties making trips to visit, and His Majesty the Emperor is much too busy. I thought that you, at least, could benefit from it.”

So do you know or not?!

“Thank you, it was a most enjoyable visit,” Kayla replied. Wei Guang leaned in closer.

“I hope that it wasn’t just enjoyable,” Wei Guang said meaningfully. “Your mother was a genius, in both magic research and the affairs of the court, she was more able than ten men combined. It would be a pity for you not to gain benefit from that.”

He knows. Or does he? Kayla decided to play it safe, despite her quickening heart rate and blaring instincts telling her that yes, Wei Guang knew, and probably knew way more than Kayla would ever find out about.

“I was able to look through some of my mother’s research,” Kayla said, fighting to keep her voice calm. “It was a most educational experience. though I may not be a magic user, I benefited greatly nonetheless.”

Take that how you will, I can’t trust you this easily. Kayla wanted to, very badly, but something told her that would be a bad idea. Don’t be reckless. Play your cards carefully.

“Her magical research was beyond brilliant, it had the potential to change the world as we know it,” Wei Guang sighed. “It is a pity that it came to a stop.”

“Did no one take on the research after her passing?” Kayla asked.

Wei Guang shook his head. “She had several assistants and fellow researchers, but they all disappeared or died, one by one. Perhaps it’s simply the will of the heavens.”

Kayla lowered her gaze. That’s…weird.

Yeah, that doesn’t seem like it could just be a coincidence, Wenyuan chimed in.

That too, but also, he didn’t mention the investigations at all. Either he thinks we’re ignorant and isn’t bringing it up, or he doesn’t know of it.

“How terrible,” Kayla murmured.

“Sometimes fate cannot be defied, how small is a person that they could withstand a higher power that wishes for their demise? Even if they believe what they’re doing is right, not everyone would agree with that,” Wei Guang said, his eyes taking on a far-off look. He shook himself out of it, giving Kayla a look of apology. “Never mind me, I’m speaking nonsense. I must be tired.”

“I apologize for taking up so much of your time,” Kayla quickly replied, sensing her cue to leave.

“Not at all,” Wei Guang gave a few more words telling Kayla to get home safe, rest early, and assuring her of further support, before sending her off.

Kayla left Wei Guang’s household, her head swimming.

“Well, Minister?” Hu Qing asked with excitement as he closed the carriage door. “Did it go well?”

“Yes, fine, just a lot to think about,” Kayla said, still mulling over their conversation. Something had bothered her about what Wei Guang had said.

Not everyone would agree with that? A higher power that wishes for their demise? Kayla played back the words in her head.

Kayla? Wenyuan asked uneasily. What’s wrong with what he said?

Didn’t you feel like he wanted to say something but held back? Or was pretending to do that while trying to get us to form our own conclusions?

I don’t know, Wenyuan admitted. I couldn’t tell.

The way he said it, it doesn’t sound like he believes it’s merely fate or a coincidence, Kayla pointed out.

Wenyuan paused for a moment. Then…grandfather?

No, that’s not it. He said the will of the heavens. The Grand Duke doesn’t qualify for that.

You mean the palace?! That doesn’t make sense!

I hope I’m just overthinking it, Kayla replied. If he were referring to a higher power with divine will that doesn’t agree with your mother’s research but was actually referring to a person rather than luck or fate, then the throne might just fit that description.

You must be overthinking it, Wenyuan insisted.

Maybe, I hope so. Kayla replied.

She turned her thoughts away from it for the moment, giving Hu Qing a tired smile.

“So the Imperial Edict Bearer grants his support?” Hu Qing said. “Congratulations, Minister.”

“Thank you,” Kayla replied. “With this, hopefully things will definitely go more smoothly from hereon.”


Cultural Notes

任人唯亲/Only promote one's relatives and close friends: An Ancient Chinese proverb.

烛之武退秦师/Zhuzhi Wu convinces the Qin army to retreat: A historical anecdote from the pre-Qin era of Ancient China. The country of Zhen was under attack by the Qin army and the Jin army, and the Duke of Zhen was at his wit's end. His Prime Minister urged him to seek out Zhuzhi Wu, who had already retired, and the Duke did so. However, Zhuzhi Wu held a grudge for being passed over for important seats in favor less talented people, and refused on the account that "When I was young and strong, I was still lesser than my peers, now that I'm old, I am useless." The Duke of Zhen then hastily apologized, saying "I did not make use of you earlier and only came to you when I'm desperate, that is my fault. But if the country falls, it will not be beneficial for you either." Appeased, Zhuzhi Wu went to the Qin army as a diplomat and convinced them to retreat. The process is also really interesting but it's too long to include here.

小鸡肚肠/Stomach as small as a chicken: A Chinese proverb used to criticize someone for being petty and spiteful.

被小人蒙骗/Fooled by ignoble people: An Ancient Chinese proverb.

乱臣贼子/Chaos-inducing officials and thieving subjects: An Ancient Chinese proverb disparaging self-serving and traitorous officials.

精卫填海/Jingwei fills the sea: An Ancient Chinese proverb stemming from the myth of Jinwei, the daughter of the Yan Emperor (legendary ruler in pre-dynastic China) who died playing in the sea. She then transformed into a bird and kept flying from the inland to the ocean, carrying small stones and twigs in her beak and dropping them into the sea in an attempt to fill the sea and prevent further tragedies. Often used in reference to a noble but impossible effort.

愚公移山/Foolish man moves the mountain: An Ancient Chinese folktale that a man, only known to us as Yu Gong/Foolish old man, was very advanced in his years. His home was blocked by two large mountains that impeded traffic, and rather than move his home, he decided to move the mountain, shovel by shovel. When derisively questioned about his decision, Yu Gong declared that while he could not complete the task, his sons and grandsons would continue until it was completed. Touched by his determination, the ruler of the heavens moved the mountains away for Yu Gong. This proverb is often used to mean that as long as you keep trying, the impossible can be done, and is also often used to refer to long-term efforts that you work very hard for but may never receive the benefits of, even though it would benefit later generations.

十年寒窗/Ten years at the cold window: An Ancient Chinese proverb describing the plight of someone from a poor family who is studying for the Imperial Examination or studying to make a name for himself, nowadays is still used to describe relatively impoverished students putting in great effort for their studies and achievements.

祠堂/Ancestral Shrine: A traditional practice in China that is mostly discontinued these days, but used to be a huge thing.

粉身碎骨/Pulverize the body and shatter the bones: An Ancient Chinese proverb used to refer to meeting a tragic fate, usually used when the person in question is willing to self-sacrifice for a goal, idea, or a person.

Taking care of a loyal subject: It was quite common in Ancient China for Emperors to show detailed levels of care to officials that they deeply trust or favor. Despite the strict hierarchies and the like, it wasn't really considered a breach of etiquette if the Emperor was the one initiating it. It was common for Emperors to personally order medicine for a sick subject, arrange for the safe travels of an official's family members, or even arrange the marriage of their children. Sometimes it went even further, and an official's child might be allowed to come and play inside the palace. One incident with Emperor Wu of Han has him playing with the young son of his retainer Jin Midi. Jin Midi's son ran at the Emperor and jumped onto his back, but the Emperor was not angered in the slightest. Jin Midi, on the other hand, angrily reprimanded his son, causing the child to burst into tears. It is recorded that Emperor Wu then chided him, "What are you doing? You've made the child cry!" So again, etiquette and hierarchy are relative things, they can be very stiff when the Emperor wants to control you and very lax when the Emperor favors you, and so on so forth. Usually, the laxer the Emperor is, the easier it is for officials to forget their place and take it for granted, and then eventually make a mistake that angers their ruler, and then it's game over.

同朝为官/Officials of the same court/same dynasty: An Ancient Chinese saying.

四书五经/Four Books and Five Classics: The tenements of a Confucian education and the basis of the education system in Ancient China. The Four Books include: Great Learning, Doctrine of the Mean, The Analects, and Mencius, I've used quotes from all but the second one out of these four. The Five Classics include: Classic of Poetry, Classic of Documents/Shangshu (collection of prose and speeches), Classic of Rites, Classic of Changes (divination system), and the Spring and Autumn Annals (historical records written by Confucius).

昙花一现,转眼即逝/Bloom of a night-blooming cereus, disappearing with the blink of an eye: An Ancient Chinese proverb meaning that something is extremely rare, beautiful, and fleeting. A night-blooming cereus, called a tan flower in Chinese, is a flower that blooms for a very short time and very rarely, usually only blossoming at night. It is also known as a princess of the night flower, or a dama de noche. Check it out if you're interested, the flower is very beautiful.

天命不可违/Heavenly fate cannot be defied: An Ancient Chinese proverb.

3