19-A New Ploy Begins
160 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kayla opened the curtain of the carriage, waving for the horseman to stop the carriage.

“My lord, we’re not at the door yet,” the horseman protested, reluctantly pulling the horses to a stop. Kayla met his worried expression with cool eyes. Every time Wenyuan was sent to drink with Liu Hongyu, he always returned to the Zhao household from the back door near the middle of the night. It was much earlier now, and there were still people on the street.

Qu Boyong got off his horse and bowed to Kayla as he approached, looking slightly confused.

“My lord, is there a problem? Are you feeling alright?” Boyong asked. Kayla shook her head. She looked around at their surroundings, grimacing in annoyance as the movement of her head caused wine to drip down her hair. They were stopped at the corner where the carriage usually turned to take Wenyuan to the back door, at the intersection of the main street and the quieter side alleys. 

“We’re this close to the door,” Kayla said. “I want to get off and walk.”

“B-but my lord, your clothes-” Boyong began, at the same time the horseman began to protest.

“Young lord, but it’s the front door!” The horseman said incredulously. Kayla shot him a glare and the horseman quickly lowered his head. 

“Please forgive me my lord, but-but the Grand Duke-” The horseman stuttered. Kayla sighed. 

“I know you’re in a difficult position, but don’t worry. I’m the one he’ll be angry at.” Kayla said before resolutely moving to get off the carriage. Boyong hurried forward, but to Kayla’s relief, he offered his hand to help her down instead of trying to shove her back into the carriage. 

“My lord, would you be needing a cloak?” Boyong offered, already moving to take off his cloak.

“Keep it on,” Kayla replied. She walked down the street towards the front door, Boyong and three of his fellow guards quickly moving into their positions with confused and slightly frightened expressions on their faces.

Kayla, is it really alright to do it like this? Wenyuan asked her worriedly. Xianchun doesn’t need our help to this extent just to take on He Shirang.

I doubt Xianchun needs our help at all. The point of this isn’t just to gain his favor or to take down He Shirang, that man will be taken down no matter what. I’m dragging the Empress Dowager into this. Kayla ignored the startled looks of passersby as she approached the front door of the Grand Duke’s household. She said she would help me, so I should at least give her a good reason to interfere

Even if it were taboo for the women of the Inner Palace to openly interfere in court affairs, it would be different if Liu Hongyu’s offense fell into the territory of familial affairs. Wenyuan had never dared to push Liu Hongyu far enough to make a public spectacle out of it, and was even less willing to denounce the Secretariat Director for his remarks about the late princess. But given the opportunity that had presented itself, Kayla had no such qualms. 

We’re going to drag Liu Hongyu into this.

The Third Prince won’t sit still then, Wenyuan warned her. Even if he’s not in the capital, his people will begin to move. Liu Hongyu was a supporter of Zhou Kuang, the Third Prince and Xianchun’s main contender for the throne, and was also his relative on his mother’s side. 

Good. It’d be bad if he didn’t make a move. So long as he moves, the Empress Dowager will act to keep the stakes balanced. The more she directly interferes, the less room they have to target me. Kayla nodded at the gaping doormen as she arrived at the front door.

“What are you waiting for? Hurry up and open the door for the young lord,” Boyong ordered. The doormen hurriedly complied, and Boyong slightly bowed his head.

“Young lord, I would escort you to the Inner Quarters with your permission,” he said politely. 

“I’d appreciate it,” Kayla replied. 

“Perhaps it isn’t my place, but will you be alright, young lord?” Boyong asked quietly. Kayla shot him a glance in surprise. 

“Thank you, but it’ll be alright,” Kayla replied just as quietly. The servants hurriedly bowed their heads, scuttling out of the way as Kayla walked through the corridors of the Outer Quarters casually, as though she wasn’t soaked in wine and likely making a mess for the cleaning staff.

It didn’t take long for Housekeeper Wang to appear, his expression a mixture of shock and horror as he took in Kayla’s appearance.

“Young lord, what on earth is this?!” Housekeeper Wang asked, his normally respectful demeanor dropping in his surprise.

“I’m back,” Kayla replied. “As you can see.”

Housekeeper Wang took in a deep breath, collecting himself and bowing his head. “Welcome back, young lord. I’ll have the serving girls bring you a change of clothes.”

Kayla nodded for him to go ahead before turning to Boyong. “You can go now,” Kayla said to him. “If anyone gives you trouble for this, just say it was at my insistence.” Boyong bowed his head slightly.

“Thank you, my lord. Is there anything else I can do for you?” Boyong asked softly. 

“Not at the moment.” Kayla waved her goodbyes as Boyong bowed and left. 

She made her way back to Wenyuan’s room, stopping as she saw the Grand Duke approach, his face red with rage. 

“Good evening, Grandfather,” Kayla said, bowing her head slightly. She lifted her head to be greeted with a slap. Kayla winced at the stinging pain in her cheek. 

“You little bastard, just what the hell did you do?!” 

Kayla met the Grand Duke’s furious expression with a spiteful smile. 

“Grandfather, are you sure this is what you want to do right now?” Kayla asked sweetly. “You’ll only be inviting trouble.”

“M-my lord, the young lord entered from the front gate, a lot of people would have seen!” Housekeeper Wang hurriedly interjected.

“How dare you!” The Grand Duke roared. Housekeeper Wang and the other servants hurriedly dropped to their knees fearfully and Kayla had to resist her urge to do the same.

“I went ahead and did it because I knew you’d be like this, grandfather,” Kayla replied. Her voice wavered slightly despite her efforts. 

“You ungrateful little brat, you think your childish gimmicks would stop me?” The Grand Duke snarled. “Housekeeper Wang, what the hell are you still doing here? Go take care of it!”

Kayla watched as the Housekeeper left. It was true that under normal circumstances, a move like this would’ve meant nothing. The Grand Duke could just quash any rumors by intimidating eyewitnesses into silence and bullying them into signing agreements to keep their mouths shut, which was likely why Wenyuan had never tried. But then again, Wenyuan wasn’t being watched by Imperial investigators, and if Kayla’s suspicions were correct, the Empress Dowager’s people had probably started watching her as well after their last meeting. 

Go ahead and dig your own grave, you old fart.

Kayla was shaken from her thoughts by the Grand Duke’s hand grabbing her collar. She breathed in shakily as he leaned forward to glare at her.

“You just don’t learn your lesson,” the Grand Duke said icily. “I must’ve been too lenient with you before.”

Kayla waved her hand at the servants, who gladly took their leave at an unbelievable pace. 

“Grandfather, would you please listen to what I have to say first?” Kayla asked, her voice coming out as a squeak.

“You have one chance to explain why I shouldn’t skin you alive,” the Grand Duke hissed. 

“Okay, that’s a bit too much. But the Secretariat Director was really the one in the wrong this time, he insulted my mother! You know it’s a crime to insult the Imperial family,” Kayla hastily explained. 

The Grand Duke scoffed. “And? That’s a crime for the powerless, not people like us.”

Kayla nodded slowly. “How are you going to explain this to the Emperor? He’s been on edge for the Lady Yue case, there’s no way he won’t take note of what happened today. You’re right under the foot of the throne, can you really make this debacle disappear so easily?”

The Grand Duke gave a disbelieving chuckle. “That’s all you had to say?” His grip tightened on Kayla’s collar until the fabric was digging painfully into her neck. 

“I don’t know what delusions you have, but there’s nothing you can do in your position. Under the foot of the throne? I control what the Emperor does and does not take note of.” The Grand Duke said coldly. He shifted his grip, smashing Kayla facefirst through the door. Kayla crashed to the floor of Wenyuan’s room, groaning as the broken wooden panes of the door dug into her skin. The thin door had all but broken in two, the paper screen ripped into jagged shreds. Kayla hastily backed away as the Grand Duke stepped in. 

Holy shit he’s not really going to skin me, right?! Right?!!

I don’t know! I’ve never seen him this angry before! 

The Grand Duke reached into his sleeve, and Kayla flinched as he retrieved his whip. She hastily curled up and covered her head with her arms. The whip struck with unbelievable force and Kayla couldn’t help but cry out in pain. It landed a second and then a third time, but was quickly interrupted by Housekeeper Wang’s frightened voice as the man ran down the corridor.

“Grand Duke! Sir, there’s-” Housekeeper Wang skidded to a stop, glancing at the broken door in shock and swallowing his words. “S-sir, there’s a problem.”

The Grand Duke let out an angry hiss, tossing the whip across the room. 

“What on earth is it?!”

“S-sir, maybe we shouldn’t talk here,” Housekeeper Wang awkwardly reminded him. The Grand Duke gave Kayla a forceful kick in the side.

“Don’t think this is over!” He snarled at her. Kayla quickly stumbled to her feet as the Grand Duke left, Housekeeper Wang hurrying after him while whispering in hushed tones. 

What the fuck was that?

Do you think something’s happened with the Imperial investigators? 

Kayla’s blood ran cold. Holy shit, I sure hope not. We’ll really be dead then.

Well, not necessarily. As long as he doesn’t know what they’re after, grandfather might not suspect us. He thinks I’m pretty useless.

Kayla nodded, not sure whether to feel comforted at the thought or sorry for Wenyuan. She winced in pain, gently prodding at her face. There were gashes on her forehead and cheek, and her lip had been split open. Her back felt burning hot but strangely, it didn’t seem to be hurting much. She slowly moved to sit down on the bed as a few servants nervously came into the room to clean up and fix the door. One of the serving girls approached tentatively, looking extremely frightened.

“Young lord,” she began. She couldn’t seem to find her words and glanced at Kayla nervously.

“What is it?” Kayla asked between gritted teeth, her face hurting whenever she moved her mouth.

“The Grand Duke has orders,” the girl looked down, avoiding Kayla’s gaze. “That the doctor won’t be coming tonight…”

“Seriously?” Kayla groaned. The serving girl dropped to her knees, lowering her head.

“Please forgive me, my lord!” She cried out.

Kayla waved for her to get up. “It’s not your problem. Finish up here and go,” she ordered. 

“Thank you, my lord!” The serving girl quickly got up, grabbing a few splinters of wood off the floor as she scuttled away. The door had already been fixed with magic and the remaining servants hastily took their leave as well.

Did that poor girl lose while drawing lots?

Probably. When Chujiao was here, they would’ve just left it to her. But this is the first time grandfather’s withheld treatment, he must’ve really been angry. Will you be alright?

Kayla sighed, reaching under her mattress to retrieve the remaining pain-relief talisman she had. I should’ve asked Boyong to get more. She activated the talisman before slowly reclining onto the mattress, sinking into the softness of the blankets. A wave of numbness washed over her as the spell took effect, and Kayla felt too tired to even care about the dampness of her robes. Within moments, she was fast asleep.


Cultural Notes:

天子脚下/Under the foot of the Son of Heaven: A Chinese proverb used to describe being within a close range to the Emperor/Emperor's control. Often used to describe ongoings within the capital city.

11