Holiday Chapter- Not a Turkey
377 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Holidays are usually few and far between on Granulous. There are only three major holidays in the entire twelve month, three hundred and sixty five day year. The first one that is mostly celebrated is Death Tidings, always on the last day of January. It is a day to celebrate the lives of those we have lost to time, violence, or any number of other things. It is not a sad day, as we know that the Creators hold their spirits for us.

The second holiday, Grows Day, is to celebrate the birth of every living and unliving being on the face of Granulous. It is a day where violence is strongly discouraged, but not forbidden. It is also customary to give gifts to those who you love and cherish.

The last holiday, System Day, is when most take time out of their day to plan their next Traits and the like. Work is strongly discouraged, but not forbidden if necessary.

-Extradimensional’s Guide to Major Holidays of Granulous, By @#($*** #*(*#^

 

*=====*

 

“You know,” Sa’ar’kik said, getting Kel’rk’ath’s attention, “We should try some of Earths’ customs.”

Kel’rk’ath tilted his head a bit, “Why? Don’t we have really important things to do?” he asked, “And besides, why Earth? Why not Fulcria or Bwelden?”

Sa’ar’kik wiggled her fleshy brow, “Because I’m in the mood to! Besides, it’s almost Thanksgiving there!”

“Do you mean the one where Mori is from?” he asked, “Why celebrate that, anyway? It’s only a holiday in a half-dozen countries there.”

Sa’ar’kik smacked on the back of his shrouded skull, “Jeez! Do you have to be such a party-pooper all the time? Besides, our angels could use a break; we’ve been running them ragged over the last few hundred years! For that matter, we’re pretty stressed out, don’t you think?”

“I…” Kel’rk’ath trailed off, “You have a point, but are you sure? We’ll have to work extra hard to catch up afterwards.”

Sa’ar’kik gave him a kiss, “Come on, we can leave our soul-clones to keep up with work. Just indulge me this one time. Please?” she asked, giving him a dozen puppy dog eyes.

Her intimate methods were successful, as he simply sighed, “Alright, fine. All of us could use a break,” he said, “What are we going to do for it? Are we going to cook a turkey, eat stuffing, what?”

She giggled, “I have a bit of a confession…” she said coyly, “I’ve kind of been preparing for it in my spare time. I have everything ready; all we have to do is cook the turkey.”

Kel’rk’ath gave her a look, “Better to ask forgiveness than permission, is it?” he guessed. 

“No, no,” she giggled, “That was plan B. Plan A was to try to convince you and if you disagreed, I would just get the angels together to have a feast without you knowing.”

He sighed at her antics, “You’re such a… I don’t even know. But it’s why I love you,” he said as he placed a kiss on her forehead, bone molding like clay to his whims. She simply giggled again and pulled him down out of their resting room and down a myriad of hallways. They both took idle note of various worlds being attacked by both their armies and their enemies’, but it had become a faint background radiation after so long. While traversing their fortress, they each sent out small messengers to gather their angels in the main hall. After a while of walking, they reached the main hall and Kel’rk’ath was left confused, “Sa, what is that?”

She glanced over to the giant prepared carcass of a phoenix, “The turkey. Why?” she asked innocently.

He looked between her and the phoenix body, “Sa, that’s a phoenix. Not a turkey. Turkeys are a lot smaller. And they don’t have any risk of reviving from the dead. Actually, how did you get that? They’re supposed to- you know what? Never mind; it’s probably one of those things you just do. So, how are we going to cook it?”

In response, she sent a wave of brown-colored mana at the carcass, heating it and turning to a perfect golden brown, “I did a little metamancy and specified that whole ‘Cook’ mana type. Now, I can perfectly cook any phoenix I want!” she said proudly. Kel’rk’ath refrained from saying anything else, simply pointing to the small group of angels that had come early. Among the group, there were writhing flesh-beasts, calm bone-beasts, creatures of scales, flesh, and bone, and all manner of undead standing there. She turned to them, “Welcome! Welcome! Find a seat and someone help me cut the turkey!” she shouted.

They all turned to Kel’rk’ath to figure out what was happening, and he shrugged, “It’s a celebration. She noticed you were all a bit stressed out from work, so arranged this to let everyone relax,” he explained. They looked between each other for a moment, but eagerly walked to the massive table. One of the flesh-beasts, a massive albino creature with five eyes on its head, left, soon returning with a cleaver large enough for its hands. It walked over to Sa’ar’kik, who was using mana to preserve the perfect state it was in, and began cutting off pieces small enough for the other angels to carve themselves. Forks, knives, plates, and other utensils appeared in front of each seat as more and more angels walked in and eagerly took their seats. 

Meat was passed out and they all carved slices for themselves and dug in. Revelry and cheer was passed around like a fine wine, all of them, be it gods, angels, undead, beasts, partaking in it. The party continued, even after the phoenix was fully eaten —bones and all, as they all talked about work in a much more relaxed environment than they were used to after so many years of near-constant war-time administration. Eventually, the party moved on to games, from simple card games to groups of angels playing video games on conjured screens and consoles. After hours of fun, they felt the weight of the work they left behind weighing on them and the attendees began dispersing, reluctant to leave but with renewed vigor.

The last to leave were Sa’ar’kik and Kel’rk’ath, as they cleaned the remnants of the party the angels missed with a wave of their hands. They left, hand in hand, and returned to their resting room, falling on the couch, “See? It was a good use of time,” Sa’ar’kik said.

Kel’rk’ath nodded, “A very good use of time. Honestly, I think we should do this more often. They seem ready to complete their work. How about we do this every couple years or so?” he offered.

She laughed, “How about we just rotate what holiday we celebrate during the decade? But I want to celebrate all the holidays of Earth this year.” she said.

“Mhm,” he mumbled, “You still haven’t answered why you wanted to celebrate the holidays of Earth. Is it because of the new lich, Mori?”

She giggled, “Maybe… honestly, I just thought that it was the thing we needed the most right now. But yeah. I think she’s been really interesting to watch. She’s going to be meeting us soon, right?”

He nodded, “She’s said as much to her friend. By the way, should we just treat them as a package deal? That woman, Fara, has some pretty interesting stuff going on right now.”

“Ooh,” she cooed, “Sounds like a bit of fun. So, they’re a package deal, then?”

“Agreed.”

 

*=====*

 

Surprise holiday chapter! I began this series on Halloween, so I couldn’t post a chapter about that. Now though, I can do some other fun stuff. I do have a surprise on Thanksgiving day, so be on the lookout for that. (Also, sorry if you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but I do so I’m posting a chapter on it). Anyway, thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

 

(Scribble Hub Edit: This was the holiday chapter for thanksgiving. Also, anyone caught up with the story should go back and check out the side chapters. I forgot to put them in.)

14