MISSING. 10,000 OBOL REWARD.
31 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Progress

Levels:

Human: 7>8

Stats:

FP: 43>48

Strength: 12>14

Agility: 10>11

Vitality: 18>20

Endurance: 10>12

Recuperation: 15>17

Mana Capacity: 10>12

Mana Regen: 10>12

Magical Schools:

Blood: 12>14

Healing: 10>11

Mana: 25>26

 

Skills:

Archery: 12>13

Swordsmanship: 12>13

Survivalism: 9>10

Tracking: 6>7

Stealth: 7>8

First Aid: 9>10

Running: 15>17

Well that’s a big jump in power. I could use my points now for even more, but… I’ll wait to get it all to 15 at least and then go for a specific stat.
 
who am I kidding, It’s probably gonna be a little in everything. I guess I can try and be a little bit careful. I need more of Strength, Agility, And Mana stats. Some more Endurance wouldn’t hurt though. I do have high Vitality but you can never have enough so more of that. If I’m out of mana I’ll need some Recuperation as well. Wait a minute…
 
Jackson just sighed.
 
“Ya ready yet? We’re burning daylight!”
 
“Ah! Right.”
 
Jackson and Meg had both finished packing up but Jackson was in the middle of one his signature distracted moments.
 
"So, there should be a week or so left until the examinations, have you put in your application?"
 
"No not yet, but I'll put it in once we get back."
 
"Alright, well you're welcome to help me and my team with a commission from time to time. You'll need approval from everyone else, but I can vouch for ya."
 
"Really! That sounds amazing!"
 
"For sure! But uh, we can't accept any new members but we're always welcome to helping newbies out!"
 
"No worries, I wouldn't want to intrude."
 
Surprisingly enough, I think I prefer it that way. I can make me friends and teammates of my own! Hopefully.
 
"Also, I've been wondering. You're done packing right? Why are you leaving all that stuff there? You know littering is illegal right?"
 
Jackson was a bit caught off guard, but he honestly didn't know why he was either. Then he had a strange feeling, it was like a thought forced it's way into his brain; one that wasn't his. 
 
"Oh, I can't take this all back on the first trip! Too much for me my weak arms!"
 
He didn't know that why he lied. It was a lot yeah, but he had his ways. All he could think of was that-
 
I'm not strong enough, maybe I should... Make others strong?
 
He always wanted to support people, but decided that he should work on himself first lest he be defenseless, the more he thought of it the stranger he felt. 
 
"Uh Jack?"
 
 
He had been growing somewhat fast, faster then he expected. Even with an Affinity in learning it was strange. 
 
"Hello?"
 
His subclass made it easier to level but the current pace was strange. He had grown more in the past month then he had the past year.
 
His stats were growing suspiciously fast as well. Even his mental state was improving strangely quickly, it definitely needed work still, but It was almost as if-
 
Jackson felt a tap on his shoulder.
 
"Ya good? You've been spacey the whole past hour. Heck you're more spacey then Chop and he's a squirrel dog."
 
"Oh! Um sorry, what were you saying?"
 
"Nothing important really, I was just talking about how hot it was out here, I'm surprised how there hasn't been a heat wave this far into spring until now."
 
The gorilla huffed in what seemed to be agreement. Jackson barely held in a scream.
 
"Did you really forget I took Bicep out too?"
 
If Jackson were to be honest he didn't pay much attention to anything the past hour or so, looking at his surroundings, they had to be an hour or so from the city. He really lost track of time it seems. But right now there was one thing on his mind.
 
"Her name is Bicep?"
 
"Well it's accurate isn't it?"
 
Jackson looked towards Bicep and couldn't help but agree.
 
"I like your bow Bicep."
 
Bicep was content, she liked her pretty pink bow.
 
"Anyway, it's really hot yeah, maybe that's why I'm a bit spacey. Actually, that gives me an idea..."
 
Jackson made his WIP Mana Shield and then began to lower the temperature of the air around him. The WIP Mana Shield also insulated the inside, and cooled the air that came through it.
 
It surprisingly took less time then he expected, only about 10 minutes in total to make.
 
"Did you just..."
 
"Yes."
 
"You did!"
 
"Yes!"
 
"I think we won't be able to take you on missions with how popular you'll be. Especially on certain expeditions."
 
"I know!"
 
Jackson pulled up a progress screen, marvelling at the fact that he was now a portable air conditioner.
 
Progress

Spells Learned:
Climate Control 

He decided to keep dedicating some time to learning Mana Shield and right before they hit the gates...
 
"Hey, hit me."
 
"Huh? No! I'm not hitting a kid!"
 
"I... I shoulda gave some context yeah. I'm trying out a spell I'm trying to learn."
 
"Oh, did ya finally get Mana Shield?"
 
"I think, just like casually slap the air in front of me or something."
 
Meg did just that and it sent a ripple across the "air" in front of him and then popped like a balloon.
 
"Huh, I think I'm close. Faster than expected too."
 
Meg just gave Jackson a nod before walking up to the gate. Thankfully there was no line today. After showing their ID's and Meg's guild card, they walked in.
 
Jackson would have to take a while to adjust to the city. Domus was pretty different from all the tall buildings and heavy traffic of a big city.
 
They made a short stop at a stall selling meat buns before heading to the guild. 
 
Jackson didn't know why, but he forgot to check out the guild before going camping, so this would be his first time actually entering it. When his family made trips here they would always pass by it, but never went inside. So when they arrived at the guild, Jackson felt a knot in his stomach.
 
I hope it's nice. I hear people say adventure's are barbaric, but I'm not sure if that's true.
 
Despite the knot in his stomach, he was really excited. Thankfully, he wasn't disappointed. The first thing Jackson saw was the receptionist stands, along with a few boards posted on the right. To the left of Jackson was a bar and multiple tables with many customers eating and socializing. On either side of the room were hallways leading to other rooms such as the training hall, or bathroom's. Behind the receptionist desks was another hallway as well, presumably leading to office rooms.
 
Meg walked up to one of the counters and handed the man running it a bag and a slip of paper.
 
"Hey Terry, here's the usual, did you by chance get an update on Samantha? My phone is dead and I haven't been able to charge it."
 
"You know most people don't give receptionist's updates on their life? Most fast food workers don't even remember their customers."
 
Meg just smiled and stared at him. Terry sighed.
 
"Yes, Meg. I did. She's fine now, just go charge your phone or something. Anyway, you can come get your reward tomorrow like usual. Anything else?"
 
Meg looked at Jackson and gave him a "go ahead" motion.
 
Jackson cleared his throat and mentally prepared himself to recite the words he'd prepped on the way here.
 
"Hello! My name is Jackson, and I would like to apply to be an adventurer."
 
Terry looked over at Meg.
 
"So you're corrupting them young now?"
 
Jackson was bit surprised.
 
I don't have a prepared reply for that!
 
"Oh you! It's not my fault talented people seem to fall at my feet."
 
Meg quickly shifted to a serious expression.
 
"Oh, also."
 
Meg leaned over the counter and whispered into Terry's ear. Terry's eyes widened a large margin. Terry gave a quick glance to Jackson, then a look of recognition appeared on his face. Quickly, he grabbed a piece of paper and handed it to Jackson. 
 
"Here, fill this out. I hope your test goes well, a few short preparation classes will be done two days from now for the rest of the week."
 
Terry turned to Meg and beckoned her; Terry quickly turned on his heel and went into the hall behind the desks. Meg quickly followed suit. Jackson didn't know what to say at the moment, but just barely managed to say something before she left.
 
"W-wait! Is this about the "thing"?"
 
Before Meg followed Terry into a side room, she let out a quick response of:
 
"Nah! Be back soon!"
 
What is so urgent for her to run off that isn't about the Demonic Invasion?
 
Jackson just shook it off and got to filling out his application.
 
Class? Yeesh, that's a hard one.
 
     
 
"So, He's this kid?"
 
Terry pulled out a missing persons poster from the desk. On it was a picture of Jackson, contact information, and a 10,000 Obol reward. Whoever wanted to find him really seems to love him. 10,000 Obols was about two middle-class paychecks worth. The strange thing was that a few day after it was posted, all posters and the commission for it was taken down. Supposedly the commissioner had withdrawn all of it.
 
"Yes, at least all the evidence points to it. First of all, he's an exact replica of the photo. Second, I found him alone in the woods. And finally third, He seemed very cagey about his parents. Didn't let out a peep about them. All I could get was that his parents ran a blacksmithing business."
 
"So? Are you going to contact his parents? They're probably worried sick."
 
"Well, here's the thing. He's very skittish, you know how most people warm up to me in like, minutes? It took him around a day. Who knows? Maybe my abilities aren't as good as I thought they were. Besides that, he seemed to be remorseful, but determined about the decision to just stay in the woods for, get this, a month!"
 
Terry just seemed confused.
 
"Why would anybody do that? Even tree huggers like you don't stay for that long."
 
"Can it. Back to what I was saying, he seemed to be determined to train every day, like he needed to get a lot of strength, very fast. Apparently, he was trying to get to first enhancement. First! Most kids get there at 13!"
 
"Was he saving his points?"
 
"Yes, he seemed to be, but even then. If he hadn't spent a single point he still should have hit it at 14. Either he is very sheltered, or was so unmotivated for all of his life that he just... gave up."
 
"So you think he was abused? Fair point. Not that I disagree, but why would his missing poster have 10,000 Obols as a reward?"
 
"That's where I'm stuck right now. I can't wrap my head around it. So many strange things happen around him. He managed to learn a spell with a magic school that was new to him on the fly while we were on our way here. Hell, he's almost gotten Mana Shield down even though he seemed to have so much trouble with it just a week ago! I will say this, because of certain things, he learns very fast, but this is abnormally fast for a kid with his experience, it's also extremely inconsistent."
 
"So, no call or...?"
 
"I don't think we should. As of a few days ago he's an adult. Although I think he still needs guidence in his life from his parents. I think we should let him make his own mistake's for now. Joining the guild might be just what he needs. I know I did."
 
Terry just sighed and took a brief pause before he picked up the conversation.
 
"Even if we turned him in now, there would be no point. The decision is ultimately his. I just hope that kid isn't too in his own head."
 
Terry laid back in his chair, staring at the ceiling.
 
"I hate seeing young people with potential fail."
 
Meg shook her head and sighed.
 
"Me too, me too."
 
       
 
 
Jackson sat at a bar chair, a glass of some seet drink at his side. He was twiddling his pen between his fingers.
 
Stumped on question one, huh?
 
Logically, he knew he should just come back to the class section later, but he couldn't focus on the others.
 
"My god... Why is this so complicated? How do I write that..."
 
He shut himself up quickly once he realized he was talking out loud.
 
"Trouble?"
 
Jackson's face turned a bit red. He took a look at where the voice came from. A young man seemingly in his late teens seemed to be the one who talked. 
 
He wore casual wear along with a trench coat, as well as a hat that could only be described as "agreeable". The young man took a quick look at the paper in front of Jackson before seeming to understand.
 
"Ah, you applying too? Sweet. I thought it was pretty straightforward, though you seem to be having trouble."
 
Jackson was caught off guard by how forward he was. 
 
"Oh, uh, yeah. N-no worries though! I think I've got it."
 
He had definitely not "got it".
 
"No, no, what kind of teammate would I be if I didn't help you out? Come on, what's the problem?"
 
"Well..."
 
"Come on, I got this!"
 
"I don't uh, I don't have a class..."
 
Jackson's face flared.
 
The young man seemed taken aback, before he switched to a face of understanding.
 
"Oh dang. My bad there. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't have a class till I was 15. Everybody teased me for it. I can relate to the stuggle. Soooooo, would you still like some help?"
 
Jackson calmed himself down a bit, it wasn't something worth stressing over right now.
 
"Yes. Thank you, um, yeah. Thank you. Can I ask your name?"
 
"The name's Barry."
 
"My name is Jackson."
 
Phew! That took longer than I thought! Surprisingly enough I ended up relatively busy this past week. I think I can keep up with weekly uploads of chapters around this size, although I'll try my best to write more often. Also, I think I might go back and edit the first two chapters, intros are hard to nail and mine kinda suck. P.S. The formatting may seem weird, I don't know whats wrong with it but I can't find out how to fix it. My bad :(

 
 
1