Chapter 18
413 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gryffindor common room, September 11, 1973.

Sounds of conversation reached Remus' ears, looking around he saw some Gryffindors sitting on the chairs in the common room making conversation.

His body felt terrible, Remus would never get used to the burden the transformation causes. His head throbbed just from hearing those scattered voices. Lycanthropy is a terrible condition and Remus wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Heading towards the dorms, a thoughtful Remus remembered. He remembers how happy he was to be accepted at age 11 at Hogwarts, to receive a rare smile from his parents because of it. Since he was bitten at age 4 by Fenrir Greyblack, Remus' parents have gone out of their way to help him. They're great people, taking care of a werewolf child isn't easy and the tired look on their faces is proof.

Opening the bedroom door a voice calls for him.

"Moony, finally! Padfoot and I have an idea and we have a lot to discuss" James says as he looks towards a book.

'Moony', a nickname that seems harmless but Remus hates it.  Reminds him always of his pitiful condition of lycanthropy. Of course, he never said anything to the others that he doesn't like the nickname, they are his first friends and the only ones who stood by his side even knowing his condition.

Raising an eyebrow, the young lycanthrope asked, "It's not illegal, is it?"

An unconvincing James replied, "O..Of course not! Meaning...well maybe a little bit."

Sirius slightly annoyed said, "What's Moony? Don't be boring. What's wrong with breaking the rules a little?"

Sighing, Remus asked, "Anyway, what is it then?"

Moving closer he sees the book in James' hands. The book had an aged look and a slightly faded black.

James explains, "Padfoot stole a book from his home library and now we have some ideas. The content is about making detection tags linked to the wards."

A lazy Sirius added, "Ugh, just thinking about what a job this is going to be... Our project is going to take a few months and it's going to be a lot of work."

As James and Sirius continued to explain, Remus saw Peter who looked quiet and a little awkward. Something had happened.

"So the idea is... to build a map that gives us real-time information about the people at Hogwarts." James ends the explanation.

Smiling Sirius said, "Just thinking about all the benefits of this at our hands makes me anxious."

With a terrifying expression, James said, "That Snivillus coward with this will soon be unmasked. Nothing would make me happier to show everyone what a disgusting snake he is."

Remus, listening to James talk about Severus, frowns. Make no mistake, the young lycanthrope didn't have a favorable impression of the Slytherin, but James's obsession with chasing him already bordered on the ridiculous.

Sighing, Remus explained, "James, I think you better forget about him, it will do you good."

Hearing what Remus had said, James exploded with anger and said: "FOR ME TO FORGET? Never! I will never forget...", Recalling a scene he resumes: "That humiliation I went through, I will make Snivillus feel 10 times more. he's a disgusting snake and he should be happy while I kick his greasy ass."

Ecstatic at the thought of embarrassing Severus, Sirius said, "Yes, moony! James is right and what we are doing is just right. We are the heroes and he is the villain, correct? It is our duty to face him! "

Facing that ridiculous situation, Remus was silent for a moment. The young lycanthrope felt great gratitude and debt to them and after thinking for a moment said, "Look, I'll help you with the map, but as far as your pursuits go I'm out. I befriended Lily and promised her that would not participate in this anymore!"

Hearing Lily's name, James' eyes lit up and he asked hurriedly, "Evans? Since when are you friends with her? And why didn't you ever tell me?"

Sighing Remus replied, "Because I knew you'd be bugging me about her all the time. I met Lily in herbology class and we paired up, she's a nice girl."

Remus no doubt appreciates his friendship with Lily. Nothing romantic, of course! Just that her cheerful personality made him feel better about so many bad things in his life. In short, he is depressed and she is outgoing, their friendship made him little by little more optimistic. After all, positive people convey positivity.

Not caring that Remus hasn't told him before, James says enthusiastically, "Moony, don't you realize this? This is a perfect opportunity!" James' enthusiasm is visible as if Christmas has come early and he goes on to say, "You could talk nice about me to Evans and say I'm the right guy for her."

Disgusted to hear James want to use his friendship with Lily, he replied, "No, definitely not!"

"Come on, Moony? What's the matter? You would do this for your friend, wouldn't you?" James questions irritatingly.

"No," he resumes telling Remus.

Sigh, The tired young Lycanthrope knew the night was going to be a long one, James' insistence would not cease any time soon.

...

Albus Dumbledore's Office, September 11, 1973.

"Thanks, Argus! You can go now that we're fine for now" says Dumbledore.

Waving a hand for Severus to take a seat, Dumbledore says: "Sorry to call you here at this hour, Severus. Can I refer to you like that?"

Without bothering, Severus replies: "Don't worry, it's not such an inopportune time! And you can refer to me as you wish."

Dumbledore analyzes every expression and gesture of the boy. From the few moments, he sees a confident and balanced young man. Deciding to test the waters he offers:

"Oh, where are my manners? Would you take a drop of lemon?"

It seemed like an innocent offer, but it's something that...Dumbledore could come to a lot of conclusions.

He could determine in an instant whether or not someone is defensive towards him, while at the same time providing a comforting atmosphere to open up easily. The secret was not whether they accepted the candy or not, but the gestures and the look gave it away.

Severus replies: "No thanks! I'm not a big fan of sweets."

Doubt clouded Dumbledore's thoughts.

No hesitation? No fear? Not even a surprise? It was as if Severus had already expected the question.

The headmaster could not determine that situation. Deciding not to continue his musings he speaks to the young man.

"I heard a lot of whispers in the castle of your duel against Mr. Potter yesterday... I hope I'm not being invasive, as I took my liberty and asked Professor Macanoff for his memory. I must say I was very surprised, you appear to be a born duelist, no Is that right? " Question in a light tone Dumbledore.

A little surprised, Severus straightens up and replies: "You overestimate me, Headmaster. I confess I have good reflexes, but I still wouldn't consider myself a duelist. As you may have seen in memory, I still have a lot to learn."

"Indeed, but you can't deny talent!

...Forgetting that, would you mind helping an old man's curiosity?" Taking a short pause he continues, "What could be the reason for such a sudden change? New clothes, sociable, even-tempered... Forgive me if I'm being rude, but you have to agree with me that you weren't known for having a good temper."

"People change and grow! I just realized I was being immature and insecure. As for my robes, I don't see any reason to give satisfaction about it!" Severus emphasizes and then says firmly, "But why don't we get straight to Dumbledore's point? You didn't just come here to talk about my clothes and my behavior."

Standing still for a moment, Dumbledore stares into the eyes of the Slytherin who doesn't seem to flinch.

The principal wonders since when he was so readable? For a teenager? Curious he asks: "And what would that be?"

Severus in a firm and sincere tone says, "I'm not a Death Eater and I don't pretend to be... I don't share the same views as those lunatics..." He explains and then speaks angrily: "Now, I'd appreciate it if you would stop your suspicions. unfounded about me. I may have changed my temper, but I'm not some kind of monk who can take it all in silence."

Seeing  Severus angry, the headmaster smiled inwardly. People tend not to act with caution when they let their feelings rule and he would take advantage of that situation.

"Ohh, forgive me if I'm being pretentious... But could you blame me for suspecting someone who until recently had what it takes to be deviating from the 'good' path?" Dumbledore says and then justifies: "Lord Voldemort is known to be a powerful user of the dark arts...And it's common knowledge in the castle that you've always been fascinated by such arts, isn't it?"

Enraged Severus shudders, but before saying anything Dumbledore continues.

"The question is, what was the reason for your move? Was it Miss Evans?" Dumbledore question.

Severus quickly snaps angrily: "LET LILY OUT OF THIS MATTER! And why should I give you any satisfaction?"

Finally a weakness, Dumbledore saw some use in Severus. The young man is still a danger to his plans, but if works well he could be an asset to the 'light' side. The headmaster would be cautious with the young man still, of course! His talents are very high risk, but now he saw some way... Dumbledore feels more relieved now.

"I beg your pardon then if I was inconvenient." The headmaster apologizes.

Severus straightens up, though still with an annoyed face, he says "Very well, I think it was just that, correct? Can I excuse myself?"

"I apologize again my boy, I hope we can talk another time and settle for everything. You can go," a much happier Dumbledore says.

...

Downstairs from the Headmaster's office, an annoyed Severus continues on his way. When he was out of sight of anyone... His countenance changed into a faint knowing smile.

Dumbledore is the type who likes things in control. If Severus showed weakness from the start he would suspect it was false... So he gave the headmaster little slips over time to make him think he was in control of the situation.

For Severus to win this war against Dumbledore he would still need to approach a safe distance from the old bastard. He demonstrated how temperamental he was about Lily on purpose... The old man would probably try to recruit her in the future... Alienate the young girl's mind, as Dumbledore will think that if he controls her... Severus is also controlled.

A face of disgust appeared on Severus's. It even looks like hell he would allow it! But that would buy him time now and when Dumbledore thinks it's all under control...

He will know despair!

5