Chapter 28
383 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hogwarts October 10, 1973.

Severus had woken up and had breakfast early, as usual. After a physical activity and a well-deserved shower, he goes to class humming and in a good mood from the perspective of his experiment today.

Arriving in class and looking at Professor Binns' impassioned speech about the goblin rebellion, Severus internally curses the repetitive boredom. Deciding to do something productive instead of listening, he starts reviewing all of his assumptions.

From what little Severus knows about the mind, he realizes it is much deeper than described in the books. There were many items, spells, and Potions that affect an individual's mind. Severus promptly researched the various sources as much as possible to gain some insight.

Even with the countless searches, he had arrived at a dead-end, nothing could explain that yellow Nebula that wasn't just a hallucination. Severus is quite confident that he's not hallucinating and that he has good mental faculties. Then he asked himself, what was that?

After a lot of theorizing, everything seemed too vague or even meaningless. Deciding to start from scratch, Severus reads the first year's introductory book on magic, it seems useless, but a doubt awoke in his mind.

Severus who has experience in creating spells wondered...

What is the point of verbalizing the spells and the movements of the wand? If this is so essential, why is it possible to do non-verbal and reduce movements over time?

From his knowledge of the topic, Severus knows that...

The movements and spoken words act as a complex language of broader meanings that requires a high degree of arithmancy to understand, much like a small ritual.

But what made wizards skip these casting steps?

Nonverbal Casting Books claim that when a wizard is accustomed to a certain spell, he has the ability to idealize and apply it nonverbally. In other words, to learn non-verbally you must practice a lot and then try to reproduce the same effect. It sounds simple, but it isn't! Many wizards fail or spend years trying. Of course, geniuses like Dumbledore and Voldemort would learn in less time and need a lot less repetition, Severus theorizes.

But that answer in the book is insufficient, just practice and that's it? It seems like a very poor explanation.

After class, Severus packs his belongings and leaves towards the corridors.

...

Slipping into the Room of Requirements, Severus begins to organize a pack of potion bottles while continuing his musings.

When a wizard performs magic, he is communicating with the laws of the world/environmental magic. There is no kind of magical core, physical or spiritual organ that stores 'magic'.

Magic is intangible and wild, it would never subject itself to being 'stored'. It circulates in small amounts to all wizards, but it is never contained!

With that, Severus wondered... So why did magical exhaustion exist?

Severus' theory was as follows...

All witches are like defective magic focus. (Defective as they need to use a wand as a crutch)

A small part of the magic is rooted in the bloodstream. But even so, this amount would only have the function of being the magical channel and insufficient as a source of energy for the spells.

So the exhaustion couldn't come from this...

Thinking about it a lot Severus came to a conclusion.

Assuming that the mind is the real reason for the act of performing magic and not the words/movements performed. The interaction between witches and the laws of the world should take place within the individual's mind.

The act of uttering the incantation/movements stimulates the mind to form some kind of complex pattern that would be the true formula for a spell. That's why a wizard could do nonverbal, a spell he'd practiced for a long time—the pattern would arrange by reflex.

And the phenomenon of magical exhaustion would be explained as these patterns are exhausting for the mind. The more complex the spell, the more it would take the mind to interact with the magic of the environment.

Drinking a vial of potion, Severus concentrates to enter that meditative state.

Keeping emotions in a near-zero state is easier said than done... Trying in many ways Severus failed and failed. Time after time he thought it was impossible to reach the goal until today he had the idea of ​​using potions to help.

Calming Draught reduces emotional waves and makes it easier to control. Severus finally managed to keep his mind split between real-world and inner space.

With a smile for managing to maintain the half-awake state, he points his wand and tries to do some magic.

'Wingardium Leviosa' he muttered.

A feather rose in front of Severus.

At the same instant, a distorted structure formed within the Yellow Nebula, a nonlinear geometric pattern that resembles the roots of a tree.

Testing other spells...

He noted that each had a different pattern and they were all very complex.

Severus smiled and felt compelled to name his discovery.

He called that dark space with the yellow Nebula as 'Magic Calculation Area'.

The root-shaped structures resemble arithmancy formulas. The fact that there is a fixed pattern for each spell and that everything follows logic is proof of this.

Severus kept testing spells and he thought... Could he try to interact with that directly? Why doesn't he try to interact with the structure during casting? He tries with a simple spell to start.

Nothing he did could change the pattern, frustrated Severus wondered if it was all in vain. Until he tried something...

To enter this meditative state, he needs to clear the fluctuations of his emotions. But why does he, during casting, not explode his emotions towards these patterns?

Taking a deep breath, Severus Summons a spell. His heartbeat is controlled and his breathing is steady...his expression is neutral in tone due to his pent-up emotions. Time seemed to run slowly with his words...

In

Cen

Dio

In the last moments when the spell is formed and the pattern appears in the 'Magic Calculation Area', Severus explodes his emotions and his face becomes enveloped in fury and his eyes glow with a faint golden hue.

The spell that was supposed to be a simple flame to light fireplaces becomes a furious jet that when it hits its target explodes in a sea of ​​flames.

Ambient heat increased and the Room of Requirements self-repair began working overtime.

Severus started to laugh: "HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!"

Until he started to see the room getting darker. he wondered, what's going on? Slowly his eyes get heavy and he loses consciousness.

'The sun'

6