Chapter 35
621 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dark forest, the leaves of the trees sway in the icy wind.  Sounds of small insects and bats can be heard.

Reaching out to remove a fallen tree limb, a man who appears to be in his early 30s continues to enter the forbidden forest. His robes could not be considered chic or low standard, black tunic with light blue tone, black sleeves and embroidered with silver details.  The appearance of the clothes are average and this matches his features.

"Must be this way," he mutters to himself.

Swinging his wand, he starts uttering some complex word incantations.---After a few minutes, a dry noise of a stick being broken interrupts concentration.

 "Who's there?"  ~the man in the black robe points his wand at the noise.

 A beam of blue light was the answer that came, which luckily was dodged. A man wearing a mask appears among the trees who continues to send offensive spells.

"Ohh? Looks like it's no wonder you're a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," comments the masked man.

Abil Macanoff, 'the man who was wearing the black robes'.  ~ asks for recognizing the intruder's mask: "What's a Death Eater doing lost around here? --- Are you the one the Aurors are chasing?"

"I don't know --- I have no obligations to tell you anything," said the Death Eater.  "You look decent in a duel, why don't you join our cause? The dark lord comes to bring a new era of prosperity --- And you don't want to be on the wrong side, do you?"

"Spare me some of your illusions --- I'd rather die than wear a cheesy mask like you," said Prof.  Macanoff with derision.

"Avada Kedavra," roars the Death Eater.

Prepared for that situation, Prof. Macanoff rolls on the ground to the right and casts a quick disarming spell.

The Death Eater wasn't slow and used Protego to block the projectile coming his way.  But before he could open his mouth to launch a provocation...

"Arghhhh!!?? What is this?" Screams the Death Eater in despair as he tries to free himself from a coin that was stuck in the top of his palm. The coin had an ordinary appearance, but it burned against the skin as if it were on fire. And the shot hand was the wand hand.

"After I graduated from Hogwarts, I traveled around the world learning some tricks," said Professor Macanoff smiling. "The coin you see won't come off that easy, it's a voodoo art that I learned from a tribe in Madagascar and perfected."

 "Argghhhh!!!" The Death Eater rolls on the floor in pain as he holds his right hand against his chest.

Prof. Macanoff doesn't care about that and says out loud, "Why don't you all come out of your hiding places?"

After a few moments of silence, two Death Eaters come out of the bushes and one of them says angrily, "Who do you think you are? I'm going to make you learn a lesson in not looking down on us."

"Ohh? I see the party has increased the number of guests --- the question is --- Who said my location? Was it someone from the council of governors?" asks Prof. Macanoff with a serious expression.

Because they are wearing masks, Prof.  Macanoff couldn't see their expressions and so he just counted on their stupidity to reveal something.

"Why would we say something to someone already dead? --- Avada Kedrava."  said one of the diners.

Dodging, Professor Macanoff takes something out of his pocket and asks, "Anyone up for a dance?"

After some time, screams and cries were heard throughout that region. The forest that once had only the sounds of insects and bats is filled with pleas for mercy.

 ...

The Hogwarts towers could already be seen from afar and with moderate steps, the Professor of DADA walks.

*Sigh*

"What would Mom say about me now?"  Macanoff asks himself.

While studying at Hogwarts, Macanoff had been a student at Hufflepuff's house. His mother, a pureblood hadn't liked this as she wanted him in Slytherin, but she still treated him well. Her biggest dislike of him came from three things --- He never got a steady job or found someone to marry and bear heirs.

After he graduated from Hogwarts, he wanted to travel the world and meet new people and cultures. As a Hufflepuff, he communicated well and managed to make many friends in various locations. Macanoff never wanted a life that felt trapped, he likes the feeling of being able to be where he wants to be and no one dictates what he should or shouldn't do.

But everything changed...

A letter saying that his mother had departed this life left him devastated. He knew it was her wish for him to settle down and so he went back to England.

Temporarily forgetting your daydreams.  In the Hogwarts outdoor courtyard, Macanoff presses the finger of a statue near a water fountain. A tunnel opens in the floor beneath the sculpture and stairs form.

As he walks through the secret passage, he keeps remembering his new arrival in England.

When he returned to England, the first thing he tried was to get a job to try and honor his dead mother. But his history of having lived 'adrift' and not having a steady job --- complicated things.

Fortunately, a wonderful offer to work as a defense teacher against the dark arts had come up. Happy for the job achieved, Macanoff would try to keep it as long as possible --- Even with the rumors that for 12 years this position has been Cursed.

The end of the tunnel takes you into the corridors of Hogwarts, and even though it's late at night, Macanoff moves towards a gargoyle statue.

"Licorice bar," mutters Macanoff.

Step after step, DADA's teacher climbs to an office full of bookshelves and a comfortable atmosphere.

"What an opportune moment, Professor Macanoff --- I was awaiting your arrival," said Dumbledore.  "Would you like a drop of lemon?"

Macanoff shakes his head in denial and says, "It's really worrying the situation there, Headmaster."

 With a serious expression, Dumbledore asks: " --- And then? What happened exactly?"

Macanoff sits down in the chair and says "It's as you suspected, Headmaster.--- The wards of Hogwarts near the edge of the forest are somewhat weakened and there is some suspicious Death Eater movement."

"So it looks like my suspicions were true," Dumbledore mutters to himself.

"Yes, Headmaster. As I tried to locate the specific points the ward was missing --- I was attacked by Death Eaters," said Macanoff in a serious tone.

 "Oh? And what happened to this date exactly?"  Dumbledore asks curiously.

"I managed to neutralize them and immobilize all three," said Professor Macanoff and goes on to say, "I sent a long-range signaling spell to summon the Aurors that patrolled through the forest and they're stuck at this hour."

A pleasant surprise was that for Dumbledore, although he had hired the young professor --- He didn't expect such a surprising performance.

"I must say I am very pleased with your performance Prof. Macanoff --- May I just call you Abil?" asks Dumbledore hopefully.

"Of course, Headmaster! You're welcome to call me that if you like," says Macanoff.

"Excellent then! --- forget the formalities and you can just call me Albus," Dumbledore said with a friendly expression. "Now back to serious matters --- from your expression I can see there's something that still worries you."

The expression of Prof. Macanoff was denouncing the concern about something.

"Yes, Headm --- I mean Albus. From what I've seen of the Death Eaters' actions --- They seemed to know of my position as a DADA teacher and this encounter seemed to have been fabricated by someone," Macanoff stated.

Dumbledore, meditates on that and then asks, "Your guesses are?"

"Only the two of us and the council of governors knew about my task of bestowing the wards," said Macanoff, a little concerned.  "Even though I don't like making assumptions --- Someone leaked this information and wanted this meeting to happen --- Although their reasons are not clear yet."

Dumbledore ponders and then nods, saying, "It's no use just guessing. I'll be looking for anything, but for now all that's left is to wait patiently."

Macanoff reluctantly nods and agrees.

"I'm on my way then, Headm --- Albus," fumbles Macanoff again with the new way of referring to Dumbledore.  "I will retire to rest."

Dumbledore nods in agreement and that meeting has officially ended.

6