4- Day 1 (Part 3)
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...

-"*sigh* I want some beer." Said the first gate guard.

-"what's wrong?" Asked the second gate guard.

-"Can't we just leave our post early today? I mean there is nothing but forestry here on the western gate." replied the first gate guard.

-"C'mon mate, I know you just want a lady to poor ya some beer at the inn. But we can't leave our post, we guard the gate and thus the town." Replied the second guard with a reprimanding tone.

-"Hah! Don't tell me you'd refuse the service of a lady at the inn? Don't deny it! I saw you the other day flirting with'em inn's maids" provoked the first guard with a mocking expression.

-"So what? I'm single it's not like I got a woman at home to warm my bed ya know?" Said with a helpless expression, the 2nd guard.

-"yea yea, how much of our shift left anyway?" rolled his eyes and asked, the 1st guard.

-"*sigh*...3 hours left..."

-"*sigh*"

-"hmm? Hey, check that guy out. He just came out of the forest." Pointing said the 1st guard.

-"yeah...is that a forest hamster on his shoulder? Weird choice for a pet if ya ask me."

-"Anyway, keep your guard, never seen his face around here, even with that hood covering it." Warned the first guard just before the lone man became a few meters away from them.

-"HALT!" screamed the two guards in unison.

-"Hello, Gentlemen." Said the hooded man in a casual tone with a slight hint of nervousness.

-"State your business." asked the first guard coldly.

-"*sigh* relax man, don't ya see his nervous, don't worry son, it's just procedure." explained the second guard after getting an annoying glare from the first one.

-"Umm,I seek to enter the town, and will probably stay here for a while, maybe find some work too." said the man with a visibly relaxed tone after he heard the assurance of the guard.

-"Well, in that case Welcome to Oak, if you need a quick buck I'd recommend you the adventurer guild's Hall, there always is quests there specially since we're next to a forest." Explained the first guard, now with a more friendly tone seeing no weapons with the man.

-"Thanks, I also have information regarding some goblins, where should I report about it?" Inquired the man after expressing his thanks.

-"Hmm, well you'd usually go to the guard's quarters and report it to them, but seeing no pouch on ya I'd assume ya need some money, go report it to the adventurer's guild and if it's something serious, they'll reward ya." Explained the second guard.

-"Thanks gentlemen, I shall head there then."

-"aye-aye, just keep going straight then head right from the town square, the guild's there."

Nodded the man and walked into town.

-"I bet you he'll get laid in a week, dark hair and dark eyes are common alone but rare when combined."

-"Stop with ya nonsense and focus on ye'r job"

***

-ping-[Human detected 10 meters ahead]

-"*rustle*"

-"Hello, are you alright?" I asked the middle-aged man that was sitting under a tree. He had white hair, face full of wrinkles and had a basket full of herbs next to him.

-"Oh, an adventurer. Hello young man. Thank you for asking; I am fine, just taking a break. Heading back to town I presume?" Said the middle-aged man with a smile on his face. He had the friendly neighborhood grampa air around him, whatever that means.

-"Yessir, I moved recently to town actually and I'm heading back there now. I saw some of the green fellas on my way back, so I' advice you not to stay here for long."

-"Goblins huh? Guess I'll rest for a couple of minutes and head back, thanks. My name is Harold by the way, a herbalist, if you need my services ask for directions in the guild and drop by my shop sometimes". He told me, while smiling.

-"Ah...thanks guess I'll drop by sometimes, it was nice meeting you Harlod, sir. My name is Chill by the way." I told him somewhat awkwardly...

"A pleasure son."

I bade him goodbye and continued on my way, the goblins are pretty far from his location so I saw no need to startle him but still, a little warning was okay.

Anyway, I found no farmers but I managed to confirm that there is no language barrier. I don't know why I did not notice but it seems God gave me the local language around here. It's like I have every word of this language in my head with a synonym to it in English. I managed to confirm the existence of the classical adventurer's guild too. I just hope the guards don't ask for identification or fee to enter the town.

-"Please be good guards..."

-"*squeak* I felt Charlie's assurances through the mental link.

-"Thanks. If push comes to shove, I'll sell you to them and enter Town."

-"*squeak!*"

-"OUTRAGEOUS!, is what you're trying to say? Hehe...just kidding, relax."

...

A couple of minutes later I found myself nervously getting near the guards...'VI, can you predict their personalities?'

-ping-[scanning facial and body gestures...complete...Human on the left is to be regarded as friendly, caution required with the human on the right]

-'well...here goes nothing'

Before I got to greet the gate guards I was stopped by the ir unison shout.

-"HALT!"

-"Hello, gentlemen"

...

-'Well, That went better than expected...hard to be an introvert in a middle-ages type of world...maybe I'd get some confidence if I grow a white beard, get a white robe and throw punch lines left and right. Charlie, want to be a hobbit?'

-"*squeak*"

-"haha...thanks buddy" I appreciated the moral boost from the little guy, even if he did not know what a hobbit was.

-'I'll have to break out of my shell lest I get taken advantage of. Guess I should behave like I'm acting on stage? Those where the days man...the silent guy of the class becomes a brilliant actor on stage! Is what they used to call me...yeah those were the days...'

I shook my head and resolved myself. I was always a shy person and did not like going out. But I always felt free when acting on stage back in the school's theatre class. I can do this. I won't see my parents again but they are alive and I won't let them down! 'Get a move on Chill! You need to get laid at least!'

-'VI, map the town and keep scanning anything that is text, analyze and compile for me the local written language. I need to learn reading ASAP. Set a waypoint to the guild too.'

-ping-[Processing... Setting up task... Complete]

[Waypoint set. Reminder: VI is capable of scanning User's memory and replaying family-related moments. Improves mental health]

-'hmm, I guess if you can analyze and transfer data to me, you can also read my memory huh....maybe later. Insert dramatic deep voice: For now...to the Guild! We got a clichè 'introduction to the adventurer's guild' to complete! lol'

-"*squeak*"

-'oh shut it, I can and I will joke however I see fit inside my mind, jokes can cure all illnesses!' Hamsters nowadays can't even appreciate simple jokes...

...

I had a nice stroll in town, the streets are wide, have all kinds of shops of which I tagged a tailor's shop, a bakery, and a restaurant on my minimap. Then there is the spacious square-shaped stone-paved town square with a fountain in the middle of it, the people going on about their daily business, saw none that looked like adventurers though, which I concluded is because the gate I used was not on the street of adventurers, and I was right: Coming from Oak's western gate, into the town square then down the southern street, where the guild was located, I spotted all kinds of specialized shops, ranging from general stores to blacksmiths, weapons and armors, tailors with robes and a few inns here and there.' yep definitely an isekai. '

What surprised me the most and made me just stop for a few seconds, was all the people here! And not just humans, I saw them! the legendary demi-humans, yep, and they had it all: ranging from feline, dog, bear ears and tails all the way to bunny ones. How did recognize each apart? it was obvious and for the non-apparent ones I had my portable VI's neural network scanning, analyzing, comparing and displaying types above their heads. 'hehe, what's the use of a virtual intelligence if it can't let me do stuff like this. ' Something note worthy was that some of them had impossible RGB hair colors, I saw a cute cat-woman with red hair, too bad I was in a hurry or I'd probably try my luck with her. Now that I'm in a different world and without a safe haven to 'introvert' myself into and chill all day, I do kinda want to meet new people, female mostly, but still; information equals power, and connections equals information. The other "note-worthy-ness" is that there seemed to be no demi-humans with features outside of the mammal-scope, I have no idea why but If I had to make a guess: is that demi-human babies can't survive inside an egg, which means no reptilian types or birds, and to be honest what human wants to see his kid pop out of an egg? not me for sure.

-ping-[Destination reached: Oak's Adventuring Guild Hall]

-'Oh, be prepared new world!, for yours truly is one hell of an actor!... I hope'

...

-"Congratulations on completing your quest! your reward is 7 copper coins"

-"Thanks!"

-"Welcome~"

-"*sigh*"

-"What's the matter Tom, jealous that I get a lot of the adventurers?"

-"*sigh* you mean most of the adventurers, I'm still getting paid Lucy, but most of the young adventurers these days only want to climb ranks to show off, no offense."

-"hehe~ none taken, that's just how us young people think, old people like you need to just relax sometimes you know? it's not good for your health.*giggle*"

-"Yeah yeah, I'm 45 by the way, so stop calling me old*sigh*"

-"hehe~"

-"*creak*" The double doors opened and a tall man who'd tower most people present entered, he was hooded and stood at the entrance as if digesting the scene inside the hall.

-"Hey Lucy, seen that guy before?" asked Tom while gesturing toward the man.

-"Oh?...hmm, not one that I recognize, seems new." answered Lucy absent-mindedly.

-"*sigh*, bet he'll come directly for you."

-"hehe~Old man gambling is not good for you, especially with me. But yeah he's definitely new, I guess it's his first time in a guild's hall too, he's still standing and looking aroun-never mind he's looking this way now." said Lucy, looking at the man straight in the eyes.

-"*sigh*" sighed Tom, again.

-'Tom needs to fix his sighing issue, oh he's removing his hood... What a handsome guy! seems younger than me too, but those black eyes of his...' though Lucy to herself somewhat attracted by the man.

-"hey handsome~ let big sister help you. tell her what you need~" asked Lucy, teasingly.

-"*waves* Thanks, but you're too beautiful for me to focus" replied the young, black-haired, black-eyed man with a casual tone as if what he just said is a well-known fact.

-'wa-what, did he just flirt with me so casually? mmh...I want to eat those eyes of his, I wonder if he's tall down there too- dammit Lucy! what are you thinking! is this how people feel when I tease them?' flustered, though Lucy to herself.

At this point the man was already in front of Tom's desk, to which the clerk responded by switching to his serious tone as he always does and said:

-"Hello, Sir. How can I help you?"

-"Hello, my name is Chill", 'Chill, huh? a rare name' thought Lucy, listening to their conversation.

-"I need information: I'd like to know how to register in the Guild, and how does it work." asked Chill in a calm and composed voice, it seemed he wasn't lying about losing focus because he surely did not lose said focus when talking with Tom.

Tom seemed to like his serious demeanor and replied with haste:

-"A peculiar name, Sir. To register in the Guild, you simply need to get your status appraised by the guild's equipment, after which your information will be processed and your Guild Card will be handed to you after you pay the required fee-" the frown on Chill's face did not go noticed as Tom addressed his worries: "In case you cannot or do not wish to pay the fee, your card will be marked, which means you will not be able to take quests above rank F which leads us to ranks, from highest to lowest:  S, A, B, C, D, E and F. you can take quests having the same rank as yourself or, in case of a party, can take quests of one rank higher."

-"Hmm, interesting..." murmured Chill in an amused voice and then continued: "Sounds good. How does one Climb the ranks? and How long do I have before paying that fee?"

-"Right. To climb the ranks one can simply get promoted after completing a certain number of quests, or can take a test to directly promote or even skip ranks; note however that from rank B and higher a test or more will be mandatory. As for the registering fee, there is no time-restriction, the guild will cut the fee from your quests unless specified otherwise."

-'C'mon Tom finish already, I want to talk to the guy more!' thought Lucy annoyed by Toms never-ending Information dump.

-"Good, Thanks for the help. So I-"  Before he got to ask, Chill was interrupted by Lucy's teasing and sweet voice:

-"heyy~ you got the information, alright. At least let big sister here register you~ I won't bite I promise, hehe~" spoke Lucy not bothering to wait any longer.

-"Guess it's fine then, thanks again Tom." said Chill, after nodding to Tom and making his way to Lucy's desk.

-'Oh, I did not expect him to accept, This guy's interesting..' thought Lucy to herself while smiling at the man.

-"So, 'Big Sister' , what does your little brother need to do?"

How did you find the chapter's length?
  • It was too short Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was too long Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was good, keep it. (Big sister voted here~) Votes: 3 100.0%
Total voters: 3
2