Chapter-9 Life With Nyx
483 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been about four years since my village was destroyed and I met Nyx. I am now twelve years old and over the years Nyx has taught me a lot about magic. She was currently out on some personal business. I was curious about what she was doing but I never found the right time to ask her. Anyways I had finished my magic training earlier than usual today so I sat down and let my mind wander to the day I started learning magic.

It was the day after Nyx had first told me about Spirits. I woke up with my head resting on Nyx’s lap. Confused on what happened after I made the vow to become a Shadow Spirit, I sat up and asked Nyx about it.

She told me that I had successfully become a dark spirit. She handed me a mirror and told me to take a look at my hair. My hair colour had changed to a dark black with an occasional shimmer. I was happy when I realized that my hair looked exactly like Nyx’s. She said that all Shadow Spirits have this hair colour.

Eager to learn Shadow Magic now that I was a spirit I had immediately asked her to teach me. Nyx told me how the easiest way to learn was to first see an example of magic. She then took me outside and used some basic magic where you hide inside a shadow to make it hard for people to see you. Nyx then told me to stand in a shadow and imagine nobody being able to see me.

I had spent the rest of the day trying to hide in the shadows and I only managed to cast the magic when night time rolled around. Happy that I had finally succeeded in casting magic I ran towards Nyx to tell her. She pulled me in for a hug while she congratulated me and said that I would continue learning more magic the next day.

She then conjured up another ball of Nature magic for me to eat before we lied down together to go to sleep. Tired from trying to cast magic I fell asleep earlier than usual.

A few weeks of learning magic had passed and one day I woke up earlier than Nyx and started thinking about the famous legends starring mages that my father told to me. They could instantly make anything with materials from the Earth, create water out of nowhere, and burn down thousands of dangerous monsters in just a few minutes. I was filled with excitement when I thought about the possibility of me being able to do the same and not much time had passed before Nyx woke up as well.

She took me outside for my next magic lesson and said I would learn how to solidify my shadow into an armour that I could wrap around me in order to defend myself. I remembered pestering Nyx like the impatient child I used to be in the hopes of learning how much longer it would take before I could be like the legendary mages.

Nyx informed me that since I was only blessed by her I could only learn Shadow magic. I was immensely disappointed and it showed in my expression because Nyx told me not to worry and she disappeared. I had been scared when she was suddenly gone because I thought that something had happened to her like everyone else I cared about, but it took no longer than a few minutes before she came back.

She happily informed me that I could now use every magic except for Holy. Now thoroughly confused, I asked why I was now able to when just a minute ago she said I could only use Shadow magic. Nyx told me that she had teleported to and threatened most of the other Great Spirits into giving me their blessing. That was when Nyx started teaching me all the different ways I could use my five elements of magic.

Suddenly I heard Nyx call at me from outside and it caused me to stop reliving my past and indulging in past memories. “Hey Kat, come outside there’s someone I want to introduce to you.” The shrine we live in is in the deepest parts of the forest so I was curious about how anyone could have made it here without being killed by carnivorous animals.

Recently I started to consider Nyx my adopted mother and she considered me her own daughter, so I responded to her in the way I used to respond to my own mother before she died. “Yes Mother, I'll be outside in a moment.” I quickly picked myself up off of the floor and walked outside.

When I got outside I saw Nyx standing with another woman. She was slightly smaller than Nyx and she had silver hair that seemed to shine and light up anything near it. Nyx, noticing that I was now outside, introduced this other woman to me. “Her name is Mary and you might see her around the house occasionally.”

Well at least I knew what she looked like and her name but I still wished I knew how she got here and what she is doing here. So I started to question Mary myself since Nyx didn’t seem to want to give me any more information. She seemed to take a second to gather thoughts before she started to answer my questions. “Well Nyx brought me here to introduce me to you and show off where she lived.”

I was content with what I’ve learned about her so far, but I still had one more question left so I posed that question to both of them. “How did you two meet? As far as I know Mother never left me alone long enough for her to meet anyone.” Nyx was almost constantly near me and was very overprotective. I believe it was because she was scared my missing arm would get me into trouble even after I became proficient enough in magic to protect myself.

Nyx was the one who spoke up first. “In truth she is the Great Holy Spirit and I first met her when I temporarily left to make every Great Spirit give you their blessing. Ever since then we’ve been occasionally meeting up during the night to talk a bit about what we’ve been doing in our lives. Eventually we fell in love and I brought her here to introduce you because I didn’t want to keep my relationship a secret from my daughter.”

It took a bit for my brain to slowly piece together everything that Nyx had just told me. When my brain finally caught up I realized that I had not yet introduced myself. “My name is Kat and I’ve been living with Mother ever since I was eight.” With introductions over Nyx and I started showing Mary our ‘house’ and unsurprisingly she was shocked when she learned that we lived in a shrine with no furniture or separate rooms to sleep or make food in.

With the day almost over Nyx teleported Mary back to wherever she lived and we went to sleep together like we usually do.

19