Chapter-22 Sudden Changes
399 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After we decided on what everyone was going to do we decided to go to sleep because we talked for so long that it was starting to get late. I thought that I would have a tough time getting to sleep because I had a lot to worry about, but I fell asleep almost immediately. However, I kept waking up because I was uncomfortable. Maybe it was just because I wasn’t used to sleeping in a bed since Nyx’s house in the forest has no furniture.

When I woke up in the morning I realized that wasn’t the case. I have always been really short but now I’m really tall. I might even be taller than Nyx right now, but why am I taller? I’m 17 so this shouldn’t be a growth spurt.

Since Nyx usually wakes up earlier than me I figured that I should go consult her about why I’m suddenly taller. I gently opened my door, or at least that’s what I intended to do. I ended up loudly ripping the door straight off of its hinges and I doubt anyone in the house is still asleep.

It didn’t take long for Nyx to arrive at my room and question what happened. “What the hell was that noise?! Wait, is that you Kat? Why are you so tall right now, and why are you holding the door to your room in your hand?”

“Yes it’s me, and I honestly have no idea what happened to me. When I woke up I was like this so I was going to ask you why I’m like this all of a sudden. Then when I tried to open my door it just came off of its hinges.”

“Well it sounded a lot more like the door hinges were ripped apart. You sure you weren’t just half asleep and put more force into opening the door than you wanted to? But then again this house was reinforced by my Earth magic so it shouldn’t break that easily. We should probably go get Mary and see if she knows what may have caused these changes.”

With that said Nyx teleported to get Mary and as I waited for them to return I hoped that Mary would be able to figure out why with her Holy magic. Holy magic is mainly used to manipulate magic power in the body. By manipulating magic power Holy magic can temporarily make people stronger and make their bodies tougher. As a result, Holy Spirits know the most about the body and are able to cure some illnesses and minor injuries by manipulating magic power into their bodies. Originally this type of magic didn’t have a name because its abilities were too broad but then when some humans saw it they believed it to be a blessing from the gods and ever since it was called Holy magic.

As I was remembering the effects of Holy magic and the origins of its name, Nyx came back with Mary. That was when I realized I was still holding the door in my hand so I awkwardly set it down on the floor. Nyx took Mary and I to the main room so that we could figure out what happened to me.

Mary first used her Holy magic to check the magic power in my body but she couldn’t find anything abnormal that we didn’t already figure out yesterday. So we all sat down as we tried to figure out why I’m suddenly taller and stronger. After thinking of ideas for a few hours we couldn’t come up with even a vague theory that would explain my sudden change.

Eventually we decided to take a break because Mary said she had business to do. I assume she has something to do as royalty but I figured it's not really my business so I just continued to think while I waited for her to come back. All we were able to think of so far is that it’s some side effect of my soul being changed but we couldn’t figure out why my changed soul affected my physical body or if there are going to be any other side effects.

It took a few hours for Mary to come back and when she did I was no closer to figuring anything out. All I could think of doing was restarting our discussion and hope that Nyx or Mary would realize something I overlooked. “So we know that my soul is different than before and that is why we believe it to be the cause of my physical changes.”

Mary was the first to speak up. “Yes, but there should be no reason for your soul to affect your body. After all, when a Spirit gets stronger and its soul gets bigger so that it can contain all of its magic power, all it does is increase the Spirit’s life span.”

“Maybe we’re thinking about this the wrong way? My soul isn’t like a Spirit’s anymore after all.”

“Ah, that’s right!” Thankfully Nyx seemed to realize something so hopefully we can finally figure this out. “Your soul is like an animal’s right now. Maybe we need to think about how magic affects animals?”

“You mean how when an animal absorbs mana it becomes stronger, faster, bigger, and sometimes more intelligent?”

“Yes, those descriptions seem to fit what’s happening with you right now. Ever since your soul was changed you would have been exposed to a lot of mana coming from us casting spells. Not to mention the part of the forest around our old house is extremely isolated so you would have been the only one able to absorb the mana there since normally Spirits can’t absorb it.”

“Well at least we can easily test this theory by seeing if my speed has increased along with height and strength.” With that said Nyx teleported us to the yard that was about 100 meters long behind her house. I tried running as fast as I could from one end of the yard to the other and it only took me about 5 seconds to do. I guess our theory is probably true because it would normally take me about 18 seconds to run 100 meters.

I ran back and talked to Nyx and Mary. “Well at least we know that there shouldn’t be any other side effects.”

“That is nice but this is just more stuff that you’re either going to have to get used to or we have to find a way to reduce your strength and speed since normally only Holy magic can improve those. Thankfully nobody knows you yet so we don’t have to explain the sudden growth spurt.”

It was starting to get dark out and I realized that we’ve wasted two days now just trying to figure out what happened to me. Hopefully tomorrow Nyx can actually start searching the world for a way to fix my magic. Hopefully there actually is a way to fix my power so that I’m not at risk of accidentally casting magic everywhere.

While I was thinking that Mary came up to me. “When I left earlier today I managed to finish the paperwork for getting you into that school I was talking about. Since I consider you my daughter I used my authority to get you into the advanced magic school for nobles so you won’t just learn magic, you’ll likely learn wartime tactics, history, and cultures of other nations.

"The nations want noble mages to become important people in the royal court because magic can be used for a lot of things. However, you don’t have to worry about any of that stuff if it’s too complicated for you and if anyone treats you wrong at all just tell me about them and I’ll make sure they never make another mistake like that ever again.” Mary smiled but it didn’t seem like a happy smile to me.

All I could think of was, “I just want to get proper control over my magic and then seclude myself in the forest with Nyx again.”

Second semester of school just started so I'm slowing down releases. Probably going to only release a chapter every two or three days.

12