Chapter-32 An Unknown Future
243 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the sword still embedded in my stomach and my vision still dark, I realized something. “Why doesn’t it hurt?” My eyesight then started to slowly return. Everything was blurry at first, but it didn’t take me long to notice the shadowy figure still standing in front of me.

I prepared myself to defend against his attack, but he instead began to speak in a deep voice that seemed to taunt me with every word. “Unfortunately I can’t kill you here. However, if you continue to interfere with us and our plans then you will simply meet your end.”

I’m not in a mood to argue or taunt back so I instead pulled the sword out of my stomach so it didn’t affect my movement. In doing so I realized the sword hadn’t wounded me at all, as if the sword wasn't actually there. I tried to investigate the sword but the sword disappeared from my hands just like the last time I picked it up. I don’t know where it went, but the sword doesn’t seem to matter since it can’t seem to injure me for whatever reason.

I instead directed my attention towards creating a plan to either run away or kill the figure. I’d prefer to kill him, but my previous attacks seemed to do nothing against him. Running away would be the better strategy if not for the fact that he seems intent on stopping me from killing the soldiers in the city. Even if I teleport away he’d probably find me again eventually by just waiting near some soldiers for me to show up.

I guess I just have to try to at least wound him or avoid dying until he has something more important to do. The best way to do that for now would be to constantly teleport away every time he tries to attack, maybe even try to get a counterattack or two in. So I stared him down, waiting for the moment to teleport away. It felt like a minute had passed, yet still nothing happened. We just stood there on opposite ends of the rooftop, staring at each other.

Feeling uneasy I activated Air detection magic to see if he had set me in a trap somehow. What I detected was another shadowy figure standing behind me. He began to speak while I turned around.“You really think you can defeat me when you don’t even know what your opponent is doing?” Hoping that he was distracted with taunting I teleported away and used Explosion sub-magic to blow up the building we were standing on.

I was unsure if Explosion sub-magic would actually kill him so I also solidified the shadows around me into defensive spikes. That way he would hopefully be delayed a bit from getting next to me. That delay would then hopefully allow me to teleport away again before he reaches me.

In the meantime I searched for the figure with Air detection magic and before long I detected a figure right behind me. I quickly turned around so that I could react to any attack he made, but I was instead met with a weird sight. The figure’s body was no longer an unidentifiable shadow. His face is still a complete mystery to me, but that isn’t the weird thing. The weird thing is how any part of him that intersected with the Shadow spikes I created distorted into a blur as if something was affecting my vision.

The figure once again began to taunt me. “Do you now see why you should give up? You can’t expect to win when you don’t even know what you’re looking at. You’re in our domain now and I will only allow you to see what we want you to see.”

OK, so my improvised plan kind of failed, the figure's continuing to spout gibberish while he taunts me, and it’s hard to look at him because the weird blurry shit happening to his legs is making me dizzy. I think now is an appropriate time to say I’m more than a little fucked if he decides to stop taunting me and actually attack. I could keep trying different magic and different strategies, but nothing has worked so far and I don't have much hope in anything else working. Even with my unlimited magic power I’m helpless if none of my magic is even working which is so frustrating!

If nothing can hurt him then the only plan I can come up with is the same one I considered earlier. If I just constantly teleport around killing the soldiers I might lose him for a little bit. Considering I have no other plans I instantly decided to get going. I used Air detection magic to find a group of people, used Fire magic to burn them inside their armour before even checking who they were fighting for, and then I would move onto the next group.

I’d rather not kill any of Leila’s guards, but this isn’t a situation that allows me to take my time. If needed I’m fine with taking over the responsibility of protecting Leila. Maybe we could even work together to come up with new ideas of powerful magic. Coming up with new magic ideas does sound pretty nice right now.




Shadowy Figure’s Pov

Lost in thought I was mumbling to myself about the girl I encountered earlier. “She doesn’t give up easily and it’s all the better for us. She's killing off the rest of those soldiers for us as I think. At first it seemed like she had caught on to our secret and needed to be silenced, but luckily for all of us she became too preoccupied with my little game to grasp the truth.”

An older man suddenly burst into the room just as I was about to leave. He began to angrily shout, “Why’d you waste your time with that girl! You should’ve just quickly killed her off and continued to search for the target! We still have no clue where she went, you know!”

“We’ll find the target, don't you worry. However, I say it was very much worth it to fight that girl.”

“You speak nonsense! You know how important it is that we retrieve the target!” Why does this old man have to keep bothering me just because he can't take a second to think. It's pretty obvious why it helps us to have many special people available to use, whether they're willing or not.

I can't take my anger out on him today, but some day I'll be powerful enough to end his annoying life. For now though I have to be a good servant of his.“I realize how important the target is, but I see that girl potentially becoming a target as well. If she dies now we’ll never be able to use her in the future.” 

“What can she possibly do that could help us?”

“Quite a lot sir. Once you see her talent I'm sure you'll be eager to retrieve her as well. Now if you’ll excuse me I must be on my way.”

I ignore any further attempt of conversation from him as I move towards our creation. A machine that lets us use a special type of magic to temporarily create a separate world that we can trap people in without them knowing. With this we can fight our enemies to our heart's content without anyone finding the bodies or the battleground. With the addition of my magic everybody will only see what I want them to see. There will never be any evidence to lead to us. Thanks to all of this the first major step towards my goals will succeed even if our mission tonight fails.

Took a longer break than I intended because I almost ended up in the ER a few times. Gonna try to write 1-2 chapters every 1-2 weeks so I have plenty of time to write and plenty of time to manage health because the last chapter would have been a pretty bad cliffhanger to end the book on.

10