2.2
337 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2.2

“And when the Princess sang, the forest rallied under her. To defeat the most filthy of dishes and clean the most nookiest of crannies.” - Excerpt from 'The First Princess'

 

After finally getting Peps to accept the potion -which he hesitantly stuffed into his afro- we sat down in awkward silence.

 

“I suppose introductions are in order?” I winced internally, was that too formal of a start?

 

Regardless, the gnome perked up, “As you may have already known, I am Valhorn Hillblight the Rippling Barbarian!” he yelled theatrically, long hair swishing back and forth.

 

The ranger girl gave a polite clap, which Peps joined in with soon after. Apparently satisfied Valhorn continued, “It was truly a stroke of fortune to meet such varied adventurers such as you lot, thine might even say that luck was on our side or that...”

 

I glanced at the other two, who seemed content to let Valhorn continue talking. Peps still looked a bit dazed from this all, however, he still had a friendly smile on. The ranger’s smile was slightly more strained, more withdrawn and felt more like politeness.

 

“...And that is why such fortuitous encounters should be celebrated! A toast to future victories and-”

 

“You have alcohol?” I interrupted.

 

Valhorn paused, “Erm, no. I am not in possession of any wine nor spirits.”

 

“Then perhaps save such a thing for later?” I suggested, “You know, after said future victories?”

 

“Indeed!”

 

I waited a moment to see if he had anything more to add, seeing him silent, I cleared my throat, “Well, then. I’m Dustin as some of you may know. Mage class with stats mostly specced into Wisdom and Constitution and I lack Agility and Dexterity. Best at a midline role, I know six spells that are balanced between utility, damage and CC. I also have a racial ability that CCs which I can use once per short rest, however, I get a debuff when under sunlight or when my mana is too low.”

 

Peps looked like he got most of the jargon I threw out, the ranger girl looked a bit lost. Valhorn’s eyes, however, were shining, “Straight to the point! I like it!” He declared, “I am a warrior, trained in shortswords and the Aura techniques Quick Step and Heavy Slash. I possess the Strength of a centaur, the Dexterity of an octopus ” He said, arms miming out a bow being drawn then wiggling them like tentacles, “and the Constitution of a hedgehog.” He finished.

 

What?

 

“So…” Peps started, slightly hesitant, “That means you have a poor Constitution?”

 

Valhorn nodded energetically.

 

Low CON, hmm… Well for someone that short it was to be expected.

 

“Well, I’m Peps, an Elderwood Druid.” Peps began, “I know three spells; Willow Lights, Druidcraft and Cure Wounds. I also have the ability to shapeshift into animals I’ve formed a bond with, however, since I assume their stats and physical abilities I lose my ability to cast spells. Most of my stats are in Wisdom and Charisma.”

 

“A bond?” I asked.

 

“Well, if I helped a certain animal then I can assume their form. The closer the bond the better the transformation,” he paused, considering his next words, “For example, if I helped a squirrel find some nuts, then I’ll be able to become a squirrel. But I won’t be able to become THAT specific squirrel I helped out. However, if I formed a meaningful bond with that squirrel, then I can become that specific squirrel.”

 

I sat there, trying to piece together this information, “So you’re saying… That a basic bond will allow you to become the species of squirrel, and give you the base stats of a squirrel. But if you became good friends with a squirrel that’s stronger than average, then you can become a stronger than average squirrel?”

 

“Yeah,” Peps answered.

 

“What about skills and magic?” Valhorn added, eyes suddenly serious.

 

Shit, he’s right. Good catch Valhorn.

 

Peps thought about it for a moment, “I’m not sure…” he said hesitantly, “I didn’t ask my tutorial guide about that.”

 

I exchanged a glance with Valhorn, I needed to test this. In all likelihood, it would be something very restricted, on a class like druid that already has many drawbacks. But there is no way it would be this easy to power game...

 

A lightbulb went off in my head, “It’s a mechanic that rewards roleplaying,” I said my thoughts aloud.

 

Valhorn nodded, “Indeed. Given the… odd origins of this realm, it would make a lot of sense.”

 

A real breathing world huh? This is becoming more interesting by the moment.

 

Though, I mentally sighed, this probably means that people are going to double down on the roleplaying. Valhorn hasn’t broken character once yet, using vague terms to shy away from the more game-like aspects instead. Shame, he seemed like the most competent here.

 

Perhaps I should do a bit of light roleplaying? I didn’t have much to go with other than the Traveler thing…

 

“Oh sorry about that friend,” Valhorn interrupted my thoughts, I glanced at him. He didn’t direct that to me but the ranger girl, “Please introduce yourself as well,” he added.

 

Three pairs of eyes turned to her, “Umm…” She hesitantly began, her cat ears were laid flat on her head. Hmm, did she have normal ears underneath her hair? Four ears felt excessive. “So my name is Boba, like the drink. I’m a Ranger, as you may have gathered when I uh,” she gestured to Peps, “shot him…”

 

“It’s really fine,” Peps assured her.

 

“But I shot you!” She protested.

 

I raised a hand before we got stuck in another standoff, “Umm, I’m pretty sure we’ve already had this conversation,”

 

“Yeah…” Peps began, before chuckling a bit, soon joined by the ranger girl- Boba and Valhorn.

 

“So as I was saying,” Boba continued, “I have Novice proficiency in short bows and daggers, and a passive called Natural Explorer, which helps me traverse difficult terrain and Haste which speeds me up for a while. My racials are Keen Senses, Darkvision and Shifting, which boosts my physical stats for a minute.”

 

I nodded, all around decent physical build with good scouting capabilities. Though Valhorn’s low CON might be a problem, hmm.

 

“Alright,” I clapped my hands, “Let’s do it like this…”


Valhorn took the first step out of the mall. I went next, eyes scanning our surroundings with my Superior Darkvision. Nothing in sight, though the outside was as overgrown as the mall, though lacking the glowing moss that lit up the mall. We picked an exit that led to an open carpark.

 

“Clear,” I said and Peps followed after me. Given that damage here can result in something much worse than a number dropping, i.e. actual wounds, keeping the healer alive was even more important. Boba followed close after. Despite the fact that I was a mage and Valhorn had low CON, we were both best suited for the frontline. Me because I had a high CON and low range compared to Boba. And Valhorn because he was better armoured and literally made for a frontline role.

 

“Do you think normal aggro strategies will work?” I asked Valhorn as we passed through the former carpark.

 

Valhorn shot me an annoyed look, oh yeah the roleplaying. I cleared my throat, “Doth thou suppose that hurting thee…” What’s a fancy word for mob? “Thee enemies! Shall lead to aggravation in the form that is predictable and… makes them easier to hit?” I finished questioningly.

 

Boba lightly chuckled and Valhorn let out a tired sigh, did I overdo it? “Tis unlikely” he continued, “and foolish to assume that beasts no matter how unintelligent will fall for obvious provocation.”

 

So… probably not? The goblins certainly didn’t and they were just tutorial mobs, they learned. They started avoiding my mushrooms, roaming in groups and always having a goblin prepared to run on first contact. A real, breathing world huh… Was all this preparation for Indiri? Since the mobs are ‘alive’ inside Indiri it would be stupid to assume that they would follow predictable game patterns.

 

I asked Valhorn this, though translating it to roleplay speak first, “Do you think that this is a trial?” I asked as we passed the car park without any bother.

 

He raised an eyebrow questioningly at me, “The intent of Gaia is to train players to be prepared for Indiri,” I explained, “The… patterns I have viewed from fought creatures show a degree of intelligence not common in… games.”

 

Valhorn paused for a moment, “Fought creatures?”

 

“A hundred goblins and one,” what was roleplay for tutorial? Ahh fuck it just go with introduction, “Fought during my introduction to this realm. They learned of my strategies and adapted around them and though I contested them to stalemate. Lack of knowledge sealed my defeat.” Shit, I was getting the hang of this roleplaying thing.

 

“Indeed,” Valhorn mused, “Gaia is a trial then, to weed those unable to adapt.”

 

“Or a lesson,” I added, a test or a lesson. Test to see if players can realise this early on and remove their game biases. A lesson to teach them that it was different.

 

“Initiative is ours then-”

 

“Shh!” Boba quietly interrupted. I turned my attention to her, her cat ears were rotating on her head, “Four things… no three! Heading towards us from the left.” She urgently whispered.

 

I quickly glanced around. We had entered a forest before I knew it. 

 

“Draw your weapons,” Valhorn urgently whispered as he drew his shortsword and turned to the left.

 

I took out the Poison Sporage I prepared earlier so that I can chain two spells if necessary. Three versus four… we had them outnumbered though Peps wasn’t much of a combatant. He was the backup plan in case one of us got injured. Three and a half versus three then.

 

“Mobs?” I asked Boba.

 

“I’m not sure,” she whispered back, “Not large though, around house cat-sized.”

 

Unlikely to be players then, unless it’s that raccoon the dude from before mentioned? Hmm, what are the chances of three people getting animal races?

 

I heard them. Rustling leaves and softly pounding feet, but quick and urgent. I grew another Poison Sporage on my hand just in case.

 

Boba drew her short bow. They were close enough now that she probably didn’t need to concentrate on Keen Senses to find them.

 

Three shadows burst from the bush. Rats. Shit, they were big. Valhorn moved to intercept, I threw a Poison Sporage at the air above them. If they jumped I can take them out-

 

All three rats dashed forward, before slamming their faces into the ground in a dogeza position. My mushroom fell to the ground harmlessly behind them. One of the rats began squeaking.

 

“Wait!” Peps yelled as he grabbed Valhorn’s shoulder, causing him to jerk and fall on his behind, “I can Speak with Animals!” he said as he knelt forward in front of the rats.

 

What?

 

Peps began speaking- squeaking?- with the rats. Valhorn stood back up, rubbing his rear, behind me, I heard Boba loosen her bow.

 

Peps conversation with the rats began urgently, then they started charading something which I was severely missing in context to make sense of. Was Peps crying? Apparently finishing his squeaking conversation, Peps turned to us, wiping away sappy tears.

 

“Guys!” he tearfully began, “They need our help!”

 

“What?”

20