Chapter 31
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saturday.

The day of the Ivoree Gates Autumnal Social had finally arrived.

It had been a tumultuous end to the week; a rift had occurred in the almost-absolute social class structure that was to be Elaine and her Evil Elite 3.

With the public abdication of Elizabeth from the group, it felt as though Ivoree Gates had seen the end of an era. A very cruel, self-serving, elitist era, but an era nonetheless.

But this meant nothing to Tawny, who was more focused than ever on looking impressive for the Social.

Professor McCurdy's going to be there, thought Tawny. She didn't know why this made her care more about the event, but it did.

She scrutinized her hair and makeup for over an hour. Both she and Maddie were hopeless on their own, but put together, and with the help of the almighty Youtube for their tutorial needs, the two girls were able to put together something resembling what you would call a "glow-up".

Tawny wore her brown hair in an updo, and was wearing a flowy salmon ballgown. For jewelry, she wore a simple teardrop pendant.

Maddie wore an outfit tailored to look like a tuxedo, with the top resembling the suit portion but then tapering off into a black high low dress. Her messy curly red hair was subdued into a slicked-back ponytail.

They were just about to head out when a loud chiptuned melody overtook the dorm room.

"What's that?" said a startled Maddie.

"It's...it's my phone," replied Tawny, surprised. As she wasn't blowing up on the social front, Tawny's phone almost never rang. This was the first time it had rang since she arrived at Ivoree Gates. "Hello?" she said, as she held the device to her ear.

"Hello? Is this Tawny Matthews?" came the voice on other end. "This is Linda Branson, from the library."

"Oh! Hi Linda," said Tawny, still a bit confused by the call.

"Hi...I'm so sorry to call this late. I just thought you'd like to know the book you requested had come in. You can pick it up tomorrow if you'd like--"

"Actually, I think I'll pick it up now," replied Tawny. "I'll head right over."

When Tawny hung up, Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"I'd been looking for this book for ages," explained Tawny. "It's not in circulation and it's really hard to come by. I'll be super quick."

"Sure," said Maddie. "Meet me in front of the building where they're holding the dance."

--

When Tawny arrived at the library, Linda had the book ready for her at the front desk.

"Thanks," said Tawny, as she took the book in her hands. "I really appreciate this, Linda."

"My pleasure, dear," said Linda. There was an expectant look in her eye and she shifted anxiously from foot to foot.

"Is everything okay?" asked Tawny.

Linda's eyes darted to and fro, even though there was no one else around. She waved Tawny to come closer to her.

"Dylan is here," she whispered.

"What? Now?" Tawny asked. "In the library?"

Linda nodded. "It was strange enough when he came here with you, but I never thought I'd see him here on his own."

"Linda," Tawny began. "Why is it so weird for Dylan to be in the library?"

"His mother died there," explained Linda. When she saw Tawny's eyes bug out, she waved it off. "Not here, of course! I mean, she died in A library, not this one. Overseas. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time..."

"That's terrible...." said Tawny.

"Yes, it truly was," said Linda.  "She used to bring Dylan with her all the time, to all the libraries around the world. But this library was her favorite. It was just fortunate he wasn't with her during the incident. But his poor father...Mr. Westinghouse was never the same after that day."

"Poor Dylan," said Tawny.

Linda sighed sadly. "He became cold, and I think it rubbed off on Dylan..."

There was a beat, then Linda gently nudged Tawny. "Would you like to see him?"

"Should I?"

"I wouldn't dare disturb him while he's in there. But you...you're different. Something tells me he wouldn't mind."

Linda motioned her head toward the hall leading to Dylan. "Go on."

Tawny took a deep breath, then walked down the hall.

She was still mulling over all she had learned when she spotted Dylan lying on one of the long tables, staring at the ceiling. He holding a book to his chest but not reading it.

Tawny froze. It was the most vulnerable she had ever seen him. She suddenly felt like she was intruding on an intimate moment, like she had walked on Dylan naked.

She was about to make the decision to turn around and leave when Dylan turned his head in her direction.

Immediately he sat up, setting the book on the table but behind him, so that it was obscured from Tawny

"What are you doing here?" Dylan asked. It wasn't said with his usual malicious edge; he actually sounded curious.

"I---" struggling to find the words, Tawny lifted her hand holding her book. "Forgot this. Book."

Dylan smirked. "Figured an oddball like you would get all dolled up for the library." He moved to the edge of the table so that his legs dangled. You look good, by the way."

Tawny cast her eyes downward. "Thank you. And...I'm actually dressed up for the Autumnal Social."

A thought crossed her mind. She looked at Dylan. "Why aren't you there? I thought you were going with Elaine?"

Dylan rubbed the back of his neck and exhaled, looking up at the ceiling.

"I had a change of heart."

"Oh," was all Tawny said in reply.

"Yeah, after hearing about the shady shit she and Grady got into...that's not my style."

"Did Elaine know you're not going?"

"She'll figure it out," Dylan replied, succinctly.

"I see," for some perverse reason, Tawny felt a twinge of remorse for Elaine. But after everything that had transpired, she considered it par for the course. "Well, I better get going."

Tawny was about to depart, but then Dylan spoke up again.

"I have to say, I'm surprised you were able to convince someone to go with you to the Social," Dylan quipped.

There it is, thought Tawny. Dylan just couldn't resist an insult with every interaction, could he?

"So...who's the lucky guy?"

Tawny tilted her chin upward and mirrored one of Dylan's signature smirks.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

She then turned on her heel and strode out of the hall with confidence, not giving Dylan the satisfaction.

1