Chapter 33
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Autumnal Social came and went; following close on its heels was the mid-Autumn semester break.

Many of Ivoree Gates well-to-do students left the campus to go on holiday -- Martha's Vineyard, Ibiza, the usual haunts of the egregiously rich and famous.

Not Tawny, however; as she was at the school on scholarship, she did not have the luxury to go away for a week. Not even to see her mother, as it had cost a small fortune in gas  just to get to her location in the first place.

No, Tawny was resigned to stay at Ivoree Gates during the break, but with the majority of students gone, the arrangement suited her just fine.

For her, less students meant less drama, which was a mental break in and of itself. The Elite Three (now cut down to the Elite Two after the unfortunate events leading to the departure of one Elizabeth Beauregarde) were gone for the break, which to Tawny meant more to her than having an entire semester without homework.

Tawny spent Day One of her break rearranging her dorm room so that it would feel more like a home away from home and less like a reprieve from the stressors of boarding school life.

She was just putting up some fairy lights on her side of the dorm wall when she heard a knock at the door. Figuring it was one of the staff or remaining students coming to complain about the loud pop music she had blaring from her phone, Tawny went over to the door, prepared for an unpleasant altercation.

What she got instead was the surprise of her life, so much so that she let out a delighted shriek.

As soon as she opened the door, Ally practically attacked her in a bear hug.

"No way!" Tawny cried, stunned. "What are you doing here?!"

"I saved up all of my summer job money so that I could come to see you!" replied Ally. "How are you, Bestie?"

"A million times better now that you're here!" said Tawny.

The two girls sat on the bed and played catch up, but not before hugging and squealing again out of excitement.

"So how are things back home?" asked Tawny.

"Boring as always," said Ally. "Although I hear they're planning on opening a new Wal-Mart back in town. Obviously, that's not nearly as exciting as living here at Ivoree Gates. You have to tell me EVERYTHING. What are the boys like here? Are they cute beyond belief?"

"Down, girl..." laughed Tawny. "Yeah, everything here is flawless, including the boys. Not one impeccable hair or thread out of place with these specimens."

"I bet," swooned Ally. "I'm so disappointed most of them have gone on break. So...did you happen to meet any that caught your eye?"

Tawny mulled thoughtfully over her response. Dylan was away with family to an undisclosed location for the break. And Professor McCurdy...she knew he was still near the campus, but due to the Break and his wife returning, she hadn't seen him for several days. In the end, Tawny shook her head, but said nothing.

Ally, however, was unconvinced. "Uh-uh, girl...you're blushing. I know that you're lying. So come on - dish. Who are you crushing on, and do they have an attractive twin you can hook me up with?"

Tawny was about to open her mouth to respond when she heard the doorknob jiggle. 

When Maddie entered the room her eyes widened in shock at the sight of Tawny and Ally together on the bed.

"Oh! Ally, there's someone I'd like you to meet!" Tawny stood up and brought Ally over to meet the befuddled Maddie. "Ally, this is Maddie, my dorm mate. And Maddie, this is my best friend from back home, Ally."

"Pleased to meet you, Maddie," Ally said, extending her arm for a handshake.

But Maddie seemed....reserved. She regarded Ally's hand coolly and did not offer to shake it. "Hi," Maddie said. "I just remembered, there's something I need to do. Excuse me."

Maddie abruptly left the room.

Ally frowned. "Is she OK?"

"I don't know..." replied Tawny. In all the time she had known Maddie, she had been nothing but a loyal friend, a beacon in a sea of unkind words and faces. Maddie had always been her constant and her cheerleader. But in that moment, for the first time ever, Maddie seemed just like all the others at Ivoree Gates...distant and cold.

What the hell just happened?

1