Chapter 123 ─ Mastermind
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally, we enter the climax of the volume. The countdown to the end has begun.

Little by little, we are approaching the best part of the arc my dear readers.

"Put out the flames!"

"No matter what you must do or the buildings and houses that must be lost, the damage must be reduced as much as possible."

"We must keep the businesses from burning as the citizens will not be able to recover what was lost without work!"

Barbara was giving orders from Castle Rosenberg.

A large number of servants and knights were running in panic.

Cordelia was helping her go through the documents containing the damage report they were hastily recording.

"Why is all this happening now?"

"Madame please take a break. In your situation stressing yourself out does you no good at all."

She looked up with her tired eyes at Cordelia.

"I know better than anyone. But as a duchess it is my duty to give top priority to my territory, my family's territory."

A new memory came to her, it was the day where she joined the Rosenberg family.

The responsibility of carrying an entire territory rested on the shoulders of a woman who was legally the representative of the family in the absence of the actual head of the family.

Glenn quickly entered the office.

"Barbara-sama sorry for the intrusion, but I received this message from Evelyn-sama."

"From Evelyn-chan?"

She read the crumpled paper Glenn handed her.

"... I see. That's why they're not here."

"I'm sorry ma'am. What does the letter say?"

"Apparently Eli and the others in the company of... dragons, went to help Razel-kun."

"The enemy is coming from the same direction he is."

"I see. If Elize ojou-sama and the others went... ma'am!"

Cordelia cut off her words due to Barbara who was about to faint.

"Glenn-san please get a doctor to medicine!"

"Right away!"

Barbara watched as everyone worked hard except her.

"I must protect... my father's legacy..."

"Richard otou-sama... I don't want to disappoint you."

Barbara began to remember her past again.

◇◇◇

It was the day of entering classes for the new students.

Barbariana─ Barbara was in her bedroom getting ready to go to class.

She had turned 16 and it was time to go to the academy.

A beautiful girl with a lush body and a perfect face, she grew into a beautiful girl.

She could make anyone fall in love just by looking at her.

And she was excited to go to a place she had never set foot in before.

"Good. I look really pretty, don't I?"

She was asking the woman who was gazing lovingly at her, the Duke's wife, Carmilla.

"You look very beautiful Barbara-chan."

"Just like a fairy tale princess."

"You exaggerate a lot madame."

"Gosh dear, I told you to call me mom."

"Why do you call my husband father, but not me?"

"Don't you want to call me mother?"

Carmilla became sad, Barbara smiled at her and walked towards and took her hands.

"It's not that. I'm simply reserving that word for when I'm officially part of this family...besides I want to do it so as not to remember her."

"Dear, but you're already part of this family."

Barbara smiled sourly as she said.

"Even if you say so, the palace won't recognize me without a document. You know how the paperwork is."

"Tch, those useless old good-for-nothings."

"Hahahaha."

After having some girl time to themselves, they made their way to the main entrance.

There were two men waiting for them, one was Richard and the other was Alvin who had grown into an attractive young adult just like Barbara.

"Aah~, Alvin look at you. You look so cute."

"Barbara-chan a picture before you leave."

"Mother, you two have taken too long, we'll be late for the academy."

"Hahaha, Alvin understands your mother. She knows we won't see you two again until the vacations."

"It will only be a couple of months nothing more."

"You're talking about the woman who couldn't stand to go an hour without you when you went to the Carmichael's son's party."

"...That's right. Mom take the picture."

"Come on, Barbara."

"Y-Yes."

Embarrassed as a pure flower, Barbara walked over to Alvin and placed her large breasts on his arm.

"Oh! This picture is for a huge portrait."

"They look really lovely, they're the perfect couple. I can't wait to have grandchildren already."

"G-Grandchildren!"

Said both young people.

Alvin was a little embarrassed while Barbara ducked her eyes and muttered to herself in embarrassment.

"That's too early yet to decide, we should enjoy our youth first."

Richard laughed at the sight of the two of them.

"Hohoho. Alvin, make sure you don't for one second leave Barbara-chan alone."

"A beautiful girl like her will be chased by those wolves, and at her age hormones will be her worst enemy."

"You mustn't worry about anything otou-sama."

Barbara clung to Alvin and with a warm smile said.

"Alvin is my fiancé, the only man I love and will love."

"It's impossible for me to feel interest in any of those boys. Besides... I'm sure Alvin is much better looking than them so they will be envious of him!"

Barbara said putting her whole heart into her statement.

Alvin looked at her in embarrassment while his parents simply said.

"I'm sure the grandchildren will come after the academy."

"I hope it will be sooner."

"Mother please stop! Barbara you too don't say things like that in public and let's go now!"

"Ah. Wait for me Alvin."

"Goodbye... mother!"

"Goodbye."

With that farewell from a loving family, they headed off to their new place where they would live for the next two years.

◇◇◇

"Hey, otou-sama. What kind of place is the academy?"

"I've heard a lot about it."

They were all in the limousine on their way to the academy.

Richard was eating a tangerine as he told them about his experience when he was young.

"The academy, huh?"

"For one thing, it was more of a social club back then."

"A lot of money was spent to get the kids to go hang out away from home and engage in interpersonal relationships."

"There was no use for education since everything necessary was taught at home."

"But with the new director it seems to have changed that place a lot and it is finally an educational institution."

"I hope that is really true, as all the money I will invest will go on you two having vacations for two years and that I will not allow."

"When I retire I will make sure you run the territory together, just like me and your mother did."

"My lord, we finally arrived."

Glenn advised as they arrived at the academy, Richard asked him to accompany him.

"Alright, you two make sure you behave yourselves."

"You say that like he's still a child."

"Hahaha."

As they got out of the limo, Barbara noticed that there was a large number of carriages and limousines around.

"Unbelievable. It's the first time I've seen so many vehicles together."

"Aah! It's huge, this place!"

"It really looks like a club outside."

"You two come along, and then you can browse around."

"Father, will you come in with us?"

Alvin asked his father who said.

"I want to give my regards to the principal and make sure you two get the best education."

"I'll say goodbye at once because I won't see you later."

Richard came over and gave them both a big hug and kiss to their cheeks.

"Alvin, Barbara-chan, I love you very much."

"Take care of yourselves please."

Barbara wanted to cry over saying goodbye to the man who was her first father figure.

"I... I will try my best to keep the Rosenberg name at the top."

"I'll try my best, too."

"Good. Come on Glenn."

"Yes."

Richard and Glenn went in first and then Alvin and Barbara would come in.

Before they took a step, she took his hand.

She wanted to make it clear to the academy that she was his fiancée.

For a man to arrive at a special place holding a woman's hand was a sign that they were engaged.

The two entered through the huge gate and there they saw a bunch of young students in that huge garden.

After crossing, they caught everyone's attention. Murmurs heard.

"Alvin, they are clearly talking about us."

"It's the normal thing to do. After all they are seeing the heir of one of the seven dukes."

"Wow was that it. And here I thought why was it that a handsome boy was arriving with a pretty girl by his side."

Barbara showed her displeasure with Alvin's bored response.

He smiled and murmured to her.

"Maybe it's like you say and everyone's looking at a beautiful blonde-haired girl."

"Th-That doesn't make me happy one bit."

She replied with obvious embarrassment.

The academy days will begin shortly.

◇◇◇

Meanwhile in the office of the new principal who was a young Aaron, he was chatting happily with a certain person.

"I'm very glad to be of help to you, Manfred."

Sitting in an armchair in an unruly manner, a young man with blond hair was yawning in boredom.

Who was actually the saint of the sound Manfred.

Young Manfred had recently gone through some serious trouble.

"I'm really very sorry. I didn't expect the palace just like that to have stripped you of the title of sword saint, and even your own family turned their backs on you."

"It's okay Aaron, I couldn't get a job anywhere and you offered me to be a teacher at the academy."

"I have no idea what class to teach though."

Despite his situation, his arrogance would not go away.

It was this reason that his actual title to many everyone was the saint of arrogance.

"They won't even give you a settlement or anything?"

"No. And they said that after what I did I should be thankful that they didn't take away my knighthood never to use a sword again."

"After much questioning about that day it's better that things are like this."

"Rather. Solve me the problem of what class I should take."

"I never paid attention to the classes and I highly doubt you want to hire me as a combat teacher and look for trouble with the parents."

"Hahaha if you put it like that it will be difficult it."

A bead of sweat trickled down Aaron's forehead.

He was making it hard for Manfred on him.

And that playful moment was cut short when he asked the next question.

"Manfred, is it true that you ran away and left your mates to die at the hands of that dark knight?"

"..."

His mouth moved, but no sound came out.

*Knock*

Someone knocked on the door.

"Are you expecting any visitors?"

"Not really."

"Come in."

The door opened after he said those words.

Aaron was surprised to see a duke enter his office.

"Nice to meet you, principal. I'm Duke Rosenberg, please call me Richard."

"Y-Yes! It's a pleasure to have a duke in my office!"

"Would you like tea or a drink?"

"No, but thank you. I just came to ask a favor of you, from father to schoolteacher."

As Richard dialogued with the principal, Glenn could feel that he was being looked at in a bad way.

Manfred was glaring at Glenn, the veins in their faces growing just knowing that one of the two of them was nearby.

"What are you doing here? You're in the way."

"Accompanying my lord is obvious. Besides, that question is for me to ask. What's a stalking pervert like you doing at the academy?"

"Are you planning to harass the young ladies here?"

Manfred's arrogant state disappeared in a bad mood brought on by Glenn's presence alone.

Richard on the other hand ignored them.

"I hear the academy stopped being that place where you came to waste your time. I hope you have indeed taken the future of the young people seriously."

"Of course I have Duke. You can count on me that I will not let the future of this country be slackers."

Richard smiled placidly.

"Well, I hope you will please keep your word. I want my son and his fiancée to get the best education this country has to offer."

He picked up his briefcase and placed it on the desk. Opening it, he turned it in Aaron's direction.

His eyes went wide as he saw a stack of bills.

"Consider this a gift that is not part of the money the academy receives from the nobles or the palace. This is a request from me."

"May I count that I will receive a report of what the classes give, principal?"

"Of course you can! Be assured of that!"

Richard smiled at him the way he smiled at the merchants when he was closing a deal with them. On the other hand, Aaron was almost drooling over all that money in front of him.

Before he even laid a single finger...

"I'm asking you what the hell a braggart like you doing here, huh?"

"I already told you. Or can't that tiny brain of yours understand human language?"

"What the hell are you talking about you piece of shit with legs!"

A vein popped up on his forehead, he could no longer tolerate the annoying shouting behind him.

"Glenn, do you even know that gentleman over there?"

Glenn's face that always passed serious and serene, was contorting with anger as he spoke to Manfred.

Despite removing that face, the veins in his forehead indicated that he was still angry.

"You could say I have the misfortune of knowing him. But he's really just a nobody, a stone in my shoe."

"A nasty intruder who won't die even with poison."

Manfred also showed his blue veins, his hooligan language worsening as he said.

"Hah? You think I'm a nobody?"

"All right, you long-haired sissy."

"I may be a nobody, but at least I do keep my name─"

After saying those inconclusive words, Glenn's patience stopped and exploded.

◇◇◇

"Hey Alvin, do you think the academy will be boring?"

"...Barbara, you were excited to come and now you ask that. really?"

Alvin and Barbara were enjoying their time together in the garden as they waited for the entrance ceremony to begin.

Alvin sighed and in response said.

"For starters, the academy is the extended version of our study time. Only Glenn won't be around to lecture us or beat our hands with a newspaper for misspelling a word."

"Really, I thought getting punched in the hands was normal!"

"I swear I'll make Glenn pay for them without question."

"Hahaha, you really don't forget those memories."

She stopped looking at him and focused her eyes to the sky.

"I wonder if we can meet people who don't care about status. I really want to have a friend who can call me by my name regardless of our status."

Alvin looked at her with utmost interest.

"Sometimes you say things that really take my breath away. I think that's one of your charms."

"Huh!"

Barbara blushed and blushed even more when Alvin cupped her cheek.

His lip was moving closer to hers.

"Wait Alvin! They're all watching us."

"Why?"

"You're my fiancée, they have nothing to do with us."

"That's true, but..."

Alvin took her chin.

"If I want to kiss my fiancée, what do the others care?"

"I... I wanted it to be in a better place for my first kiss."

"Our first kiss will be special wherever we are."

Barbara couldn't stop him, she closed her eyes and brought her mouth close to his.

Before their lips touched, someone shouted.

"Run everyone!"

"A hooligan and a butler are fighting! And tearing the whole place apart!"

"Run for your lives!"

In the distance, they could see various explosions and smoke coming from inside a building.

"What's that?"

Barbara said before hearing a familiar voice.

"You irritable little matchstick!"

"You coward in a waiter's suit!"

"You despicable sack of pus! I'll finish you off once and for all!"

"Try it sissy! I'll rip your balls off so you can be a real girl thanks to that sissy hairdo you wear!"

"Manfreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!"

"Gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenn!"

Alvin grabbed Barbara's hand and they fled along with the other students as two men rampaged through the place.

That day was remembered at the academy as the worst entrance ceremony that also cost millions in repairs.

◇◇◇

Barbara opens her eyes.

She was in her room.

Next to her was Cordelia who was removing a damp cloth from her forehead.

"Ma'am, you woke up."

Glenn was at her side holding her hand.

He reacted to hearing her open her eyes.

"I'm so glad you're okay ma'am."

"Glenn, Cordelia, what happened to me?"

Cordelia explained.

"The doctor reported that you were in a state of great stress and your body couldn't handle it."

"Luckily it's not something that rest won't fix."

Barbara thanked Cordelia.

"Thank you. By the way, how's the territory?"

Glenn informed her as follows.

"It took longer than required, but we managed to put out the fire."

"Many houses, stores and buildings were lost in the flames, it will cost millions to repair them even if we use part of the duchy's private fund."

Barbara didn't care about that.

"Money is no problem, as long as we are alive we can build homes and businesses again. Any injuries?"

"There were a few, but nothing that bandages and time in bed won't fix."

"Very well."

Barbara finally relaxed.

"Glenn, please do some research on who the victims are, if they are people with no income we can give them food and shelter."

"Also try to find out who was responsible for attacking my family's territory."

Glenn nodded and replied.

"Elize ojou-sama went precisely to confront the culprit who will surely be fighting Razel-sama."

"That's right, Eli went there. She has grown up and become a great girl. You can retire."

"Understood."

Before retreating, Barbara grabbed his arm.

Glenn asked her.

"Is something wrong ma'am?"

Barbara took some time to respond after releasing the sleeve of his uniform.

"I'm sorry. Glenn."

"How am I doing?"

"Am I doing a good enough job to make him proud?"

"Will Richard otou-sama be happy with the work I'm doing, even if it's not high enough?"

Glenn answered her before she continued speaking.

"I'm sure, Richard-sama will be pleased to know that there is no better person to take over the territory like you."

"Even he made faults, but he never used them as excuses. Like you, he puts his own health on the line to make sure he's up to your standards."

"But you must not measure yourself by the same yardstick as him. There is no one who deserves his trust."

"You must measure yourself by your own yardstick and personally, you've done better than your husband did..."

Glenn and Barbara's smile faded as Alvin's name entered the conversation.

"That same trust he placed in his son, his own flesh and blood, and it ended badly for us."

Glenn added to the conversation a secret.

"I was aware of what he was doing. But I never said anything because it's the right-hand man's duty to keep quiet about everything he sees and hears."

"Honestly, I think it's my fault it all ended badly."

"If I had told Richard-sama everything... if I had told you or the palace to stop him... then he..."

Barbara stopped Glenn from blaming himself anymore.

"I know better than anyone. Glenn, your loyalty to the family is something many would like to have."

"Nothing is your fault, you were just doing your duty."

"I'm sure even if you ratted him out, it would have ended the same."

"So don't blame yourself, you're the best servant the Rosenberg family could have wished for."

Glenn turned away so they wouldn't see him cry.

"I appreciate your words truly. This Glenn will be sure not to let you or your daughter down."

"You exaggerate a lot, but thank you for being with us from the beginning. You are the best friend we could ever wish for."

"With your permission."

Glenn left and Cordelia stayed with Barbara changing the wet cloth on her forehead.

Barbara touched her belly.

(Why do I feel like something bad is about to happen?)

(Please be safe, Eli, Razel-kun.)

◇◇◇

Razel had just woken up.

"I'm in pain all over..."

"Huh? This place is it?"

When he opened his eyes, he was shocked by the place.

"It really looks just like a spaceship. I remember seeing a lot of movies with that space theme."

"But it's very dark, there's little light."

Looking around, he noticed that Desmond left him.

"Damn you demon king, he used me as a floor mat and after wiping himself on me he left."

"I hope they kill him so I can congratulate this thing."

"Since I'm here, let's see what I can steal."

He was clearly serious.

Razel didn't mind destroying this ship since Desmond was inside, so he should just wait for him to destroy it.

"It's really huge, this place."

"There are a lot of huge tubes, wires and computers everywhere."

"I'm suffocating in here!"

Suddenly the lights went out.

"Come on. Are you serious now?"

In the distance, a light came on.

"..."

Razel went in the direction of that light, not even noticing that a security camera was following his movements.

"Astraea, can you hear me?"

He spoke to the person best suited to get information from this place.

The vampire queen Astraea, who was created by ancient humankind.

Part of her being inhabited his subconscious as if she were a parasite.

(Of course.)

Said the voice of a beautiful red haired woman observing what he saw.

"The questions you want to ask I can answer them only if I know them."

"Okay. How is it possible that there is a ship?"

"Didn't you say they were all destroyed by the war?"

Astraea answered him.

(I wiped out a large part of them it's true. But the dragons were also attacking that day.)

(Surely one ship escaped, but it lost some engine and ended up underground buried.)

"So someone found it, repaired it, and then started attacking us, right?"

(Surely, that must be so.)

(...)

"What's going on?"

(Further and further away these lights come on.).

"I noticed it after a distant one came on for the second time."

As Razel said, the lights were going on and off at a distance for him to follow.

(Someone is guiding you to a place.)

(Be careful.)

(Hey, you remember what I told you.)

(From my sworn enemy.)

"A-a little. What was his name?"

Astraea said a name she would never forget.

"Epstein."

(That guy is responsible for my pain and suffering. I'm even sure he's somehow still alive.)

(Don't trust yourself. It's a trap.)

"And I just wanted to steal something from me..."

Astraea explained other things to him as Razel walked.

Like how the robots he saw on this day were originally created to help humankind in their household chores or take care of children and even explore.

But when dragons and other magical creatures attacked them they were turned into war machines.

Then he remarked something curious to her.

"Hey, if you say this Epstein guy is responsible for this."

"How come he's still alive?"

"That's 1000 years ago, isn't it?"

Razel reached the last place where the light was on.

"There's no way a human being could stay alive for that long."

(Unless he was a vampire.)

Razel stopped after listening to Astraea.

"A human who turned into a vampire... that's really scary."

"Of course it's ridiculous that a human being stayed alive for so long."

"...!"

Razel and Astraea reacted to the mysterious electronic voice answering them.

He looked in all directions searching for the source of the voice, but couldn't see anything.

"Don't get so upset. I just wanted to talk."

Said the electronic voice.

Suddenly the lights came on illuminating everything as if there was a small sun in the place.

Razel closed his eyes and before long, he opened them and looked at where he was.

"What is this place?"

It was a huge space with pillars and a computer in the center.

The space between the ceiling and the floor was huge, at least about 30 meters.

"How the hell did I get here without realizing it?"

(Get ready, something's coming.)

Astraea said. Razel didn't know where to look because he couldn't find a sign of a living thing.

From the ground, a hatch opens and something emerged.

It was a small capsule, similar to a round metal table.

The oval-shaped top opened like a hatch, Razel observed something he never expected to see, and it was...

"It is a pleasure to see you. I am the commander of this ship and my name is Brain."

A human brain in a fishbowl of green liquid with wires attached.

◇◇◇

"Where the hell am I?"

Desmond was walking into the interior of the ship after leaving Razel.

The inside of the ship was as expected from a science fiction ship.

The long metal hallway filled with wires harassed Desmond greatly.

"I'm really pissed off because there's no end to this!"

Suddenly, he is hit on his back and sent flying.

Destroying many room-like facilities.

Desmond stood up and watched as a dozen robots of white human stature approached him.

His sinister smile showed it again.

"That's what I was talking about."

"Give me fun!"

I hope that with Barbara's past you don't start coming out with weird comments that this is NTR for Razel, because I'll really get mad at you if you pull that nonsense out of the bag.

https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/6901733

1