Chapter two, Nexus.
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The darkness withered and the sunlight broke through Carvo's iron window, he laid back on his chair with his bloody white coat and hands taking off his glasses and sighing in exhaustion, behind him was Abigail, still having all these cables and tubes connected to her body.

There was no sign of her being responsive, but in few moments, her left eyelid started twitching showing signs of energy inside of her, Carvo's exhaustion led him into not noticing Abigail, he closed his eyes and sat back with the blood drying on him making him feel dirty and sticky.

Carvo's head was going back and forth with questions, thinking of how the sweet young Abigail was resurrected into this horrifying being that resembles nothing but a nightmare for all those who knew her, and how time has created the greatest border between them. He decided to get up and take shower but as he did so, he looked at her to find her hands moving to cover her face, a smile popped up on his face knowing he had successfully healed her, but in another way, he knew he just brought life back to a Mooncaller, a killer.

She was the definition of the allied unwilling killer, the one you trust to stab you in the back. Carvo was making a deal with the devil, forcing himself to accept a demon into the prey's cave, in the hope of a change. And only wishing for a touch of the old memories only Abigail carried.

He looked at her, drowning in her blood and her hands covering her face as if she was ashamed of showing that metallic jaw and a shaved head to Carvo, Carvo could sense the childishness in her, and this why he decided to call her name once and twice till she answered.

"Leave me alone" She cried, Carvo saw her tears slipping from beneath her hands to her chest like a flood, he sighed and pulled a chair next to her, her body was covered by a cloth starting from her waist down and the rest was exposed to Carvo, it looked like she was shy so he brought another cloth and covered her, then moved her hand away from her face and helped her sit correctly.

"You're safe here, Abi. There's no need for these tears" He calmly said, looking deep into her blue eyes as a way of letting her feel his good intentions. Old Carvo wasn't so much experienced with humans as he locked himself in his laboratory for decades, but for Abigail, it seemed like he knew his way with her.

"What did they do to m-me?" she trembled, Carvo couldn't answer her, only choosing to look onto the ground instead of facing her eyes, a part of him felt surprised that she didn't know anything that happened to her, he felt unable to dwell deep into this subject, so, he did a slightly successful attempt to change it.

"Remember Robert? The bastard now has like 10 kids!" Carvo laughed, but Abigail frowned which led Carvo's laugh to degrade into an almost terrified expression.

"Robert is married?" She cried again, she grew more confused, Carvo realized that she might not have processed the idea of being away for almost fifty years, and so, reminding her that her first boyfriend is now sixty with ten children wasn't quite the good move.

"Uhh-D-Dani has opened a bookstore!" He said, trying to change the subject once more.

"T-that b-bitch?" She cried once more, this time, a lot of rages polished her voice tone turning her into a raged machine, capturing Carvo from his collars.

"Forget it! Nick joined the protector legions!" Carvo almost screamed as she held him tightly in her metallic grip, she loosened it once she heard him, showing a bit of confusion towards the name.."The protector legions"...

"The what?" She said, calming down a little bit, "I've seen lots of corpses on my way here too." she said, diverting her sight away from him, processing her thoughts.

"I have so much to explain to You.." Carvo sighed.

"I woke up...Somewhere, somewhere scary, I-"

Abigail was interrupted by the violent knocking on the front door, Carvo got up quickly, asking Abigail to stay quiet. She nodded in agreement and stayed bounded to this bed, inspecting the cables inserted into her body in fear of cutting or hurting herself, tears went try on her half-human face when her curiosity swallowed her grief for moments.

Carvo went to see what's the source of the ruckus upstairs, but he made sure he closed the door of the basement so no one would think of going downstairs.

"Carvo!" Said a young man who busted into the house without even asking for permission, he wore a dark blue double-buttoned cloak and had a giant telescope-like device on his back, he threw himself on Carvo's favorite chair and rudely asked for a cup of water. Seeing Carvo with all this blood on him wasn't anything suspicious, all of them were used to the old man's terrible sight and smelly house.

"What's it, Clyde?" Carvo said, handing Clyde the glass of water which he gulped in one go.

"Well.." He said breathlessly, "There is a Mooncaller on the run" Clyde continued, resting his head backward on the chair, "We've been working our asses off with tons of owl seers functioning just to get a look at it, we've concluded it's a thinking one since It didn't attack anyone yet, it's not even a day after Mooncalling and they're in our streets, fuck it, man!" 

"Yeah, Billy and his gang came earlier, old assholes think they're gonna kill a Mooncaller with a pitchfork." 

"I can tell what they're trying to do.."

"What do you think of it?"

"They're trying to squeeze some coins out of people for protection, you know, our reputation hasn't been good for the last two years."

"Ahh, true, true!" 

"I'm quite sure you aren't here for that though." Carvo continued, Clyde smirked and then laughed knowing how Carvo knows his intentions better than anyone.

"Well, to be honest...I was quite thirsty." He said, jumping off his chair, "Didn't have enough coins for a cup of water and I'm so far from my division" He continued, "Hahaha! You're my savior, old man!" He laughed, heading towards the door with Carvo's face almost drowning in sweat, indeed he didn't show it, but his heart was beating like a drum.

"You bastard! Get your ass back to work!" Shouted Carvo who kicked Clyde out in slight anger, Clyde kept laughing as he went out.

As for Carvo, he ran back into the basement only to find the bed empty and all the cables cut, he gasped in fright and ran around the basement with his nerves bursting out of his red face, "Damn it, Abby!! Damn it!!" he kept muttering, till suddenly, he found blood dropping on his shoulders, "What?" He said, inspecting the blood, he sniffed it and the scent of oil made him realize who did it belong to.

"Are you trying your spider abilities?" Said Carvo, looking up to find Abigail grinning and attaching herself to the ceiling of the basement.

"Come down, please! That's dangerous!" He begged her.

She was out of strength, and so, she went down and waddled her way back to the bed, "We have got a lot to talk about" She said, Carvo came behind her and sat next to her, "True, true.."

"Abigail, it's been so long...And I-I j-just can't.."

"You can't trust me, right?"

"It's not like that...It's just.."

"How long has it been?"

"A lot, I don't t-"

"Answer me"

"It's been fifty years.."

The silence went on for minutes, Abigail tried to swallow the shock but she had it coming, she felt trapped in the darkest corner of reality. The one you call a nightmare and eventually wake up from, she breathed heavily looking at her metallic hands and touching her jaw, she concluded that this strange heart she felt in her chest indicated nothing but a bad memory she had barricaded inside of her, a one that's out of her reach.

And Carvo could nothing but sob at the sight of the shocked young girl feeling betrayed by the world, a sudden rage fueled her nerves making her look more vengeful than shocked.

"Who did this to me?!" She cried, holding Carvo from his collars once more, but this time, her reaction meant nothing but genuine spite.

"It's not us, Abby! it wasn't our fault!!" He cried in her hands, staring at her tearful and enraged blue eyes looking like an ocean storm ready to devour whoever looks into these windows of outrage.

"We did everything we can to save you! I swear, Abby, I swear I've killed those bastards with these hands...I know it was too late.." Carvo cried, reaching his wrinkled hand to touch her face in the hope to restore the veracious side of her, and he did.

Abigail let her hands down, frowning like a child, letting her virgin tears sting the leftover human skin on her face, "What did I do to deserve this?" She cried, Carvo hugged her as tight as possible, letting her drown into his warm arms deeply, he offered all the good inside of him as retribution of what he regrets, he needed her hug.

Within this moment of genuine cordiality, a sudden sound separated the two, and once Carvo took a look at that source, it was none other than Clyde who stood mouth wide opened and hair standing still as if he electrified, he kept stuttered a suppressed scream, Carvo's face turned quite the similar.

"It's not what you think!" Carvo ran towards him, holding Clyde steadily from both of his arms.

"It's..It's a-a Mooncaller" He stuttered, the horror he felt was enough to give him a heart attack. Clyde was one of the seer divisions, meaning that, he hardly ever seen a Mooncaller face to face.

"No!" Carvo cried out, "It's, it's my old sister, Abigail!" 

0