Chapter Five, Connection.
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abigail swallowed the whole sandwich without any questions all until Carvo revealed its ingredients to her. She gasped and inserted her finger into her throat in an attempt to throw up all of what she ate, but it was no use. 

"Stop, Abby! its okay!" Carvo said, picking her up and trying to calm her down. 

Carvo thought to himself that he could lie to her and just call it a meat sandwich, but he knew he can't hide it forever and deep inside he knew Abigail would have to hunt for herself. 

Abigail wasn't smart but she wasn't stupid either and he knew he could never hide anything from her if they want to fix this together. 

"Why the fuck did I like human flesh?!" Abigail screamed and jumped around the room in horror, Carvo felt powerless and disgusted but he couldn't let those emotions reach Abigail. 

"It's okay! We can handle this, just sit down, please!" Carvo said, leading Abigail back to her chair where she sat down traumatized and scared. 

"I'm a Mooncaller, I get it, but what I don't understand is my appetite?!" 

"None of us understands either, but if you give me sometime to study you I might figure out a substitute or even stop your hunger completely!" 

"Bullshit.." Abigail muttered, her eyes were teary but she still didn't cry.

"It's okay If you want to cry" Carvo reassured her, "I'm not a little boy anymore, Abby, you don't have to act all mighty and strong in front of me." He continued, Abigail sighed. 

"Do you still have more?" She said under her breath in a shy tone. 

"Yes, but first, we must try something else. Tell me how did it taste like?" 

"Your friend's ..leg..?" 

"...Yeah" 

It was a bit juicy but very tasty.." 

"Well, he was a healthy fella.." 

"Why do you collect your friend's limps?" 

"For research purposes, of course!" 

Carvo went upstairs once again and came back with another sandwich. He gave it to Abigail who hesitated to take a bite but he encouraged her to, it was a burger. 

Abigail took a bite and soon her face turned red. She struggled for a few seconds till she swallowed it. 

"Awful.." She muttered and then lied back in disgust. 

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to push yourself till we can get more." Carvo said as he sorted out his equipment.

"It's not like I'm super hungry, I just ate it because it was delicious, but I'm not that hungry." She replied and Carvo smiled. 

"Now, it's time for a makeover." Carvo said, pressing a button that made the chair fix Abigail's position.

"I'll make sure nobody notices a thing." Carvo said with a huge grin on his face, after all, this was what he dedicated his life to. 

And so, Carvo begun performing his magic. Abigail felt nothing and she just lied still as he fixed her jaw and attached skin-like material on her arm and chest. After three hours had passed, he finally made Abigail look human again. 

"And..It's done! Just the wig left!" Carvo said as lifted up Abigail's chair and handed her a mirror to see the result. 

As Abigail took the mirror, Carvo put on a wig that was similar to her hair. Long, black and thick. 

"Oh my..That's ..me?" Abigail said woefully. She couldn't believe that it took Carvo that long to try and make her be herself once again. She was scarred of her disguise falling off, but on the other hand, she smiled for realizing that she did have a chance in fitting in again. 

"You look beautiful, Abby." Carvo said, patting on Abigail's back as she starred at her refined skin and her hidden artificial limps. "The only part I can't touch is that orb in your chest. We can't hide it, but your dress will do the job." Carvo continued. 

Abigail jumped off the chair and grabbed the dress and coat then wore them, after having fixed her hair Carvo told her to sit down so that she would get to know their plan. 

"Come in, Clyde." He called Clyde to come, and the door was opened right away. Abigail stood back to the wall in distress as Clyde slowly walked in. 

"That's..her..?" Clyde calmly said as he pushed Carvo aside and walked closer to Abigail, forgetting how he almost wet his pants when he first saw her. 

"Yes, everything should go smoothly now. No one well notice anything." Carvo said, walking closer to Clyde who started moving around Abigail watching her in surprise. 

"That's a piece of-" Clyde said as he was putting his hand on her face, Abigail quickly slapped him in the face with her artificial arm making him fall and scream in pain, "Fuck, I'm sorry! You don't have to be so aggressive like that!" Clyde cried and Abigail ran to another corner while looking at Carvo. 

"I told you to not put a finger on her you fool!" Carvo shouted at Clyde as he gave him a hand, Clyde's face was now bruised. 

"Idiot.." Abigail sighed as Clyde kept cursing everything under his breath. "Sit down, both of you." Carvo asked them, and the spark between Clyde and Abigail was only getting stronger.

"What now?" Clyde asked, "You got her the ID?" Carvo asked, Clyde took a card out of his pocket and handed it to Carvo who inspected it carefully.

"Fine, Abby, you're Ellie now." Carvo said, showing Abigail the ID which only contained necessary information about her new identity Clyde managed to forge, it wasn't a necessary item as Abigail was still a minor but it was a step forward in recognizing her existence in the city. 

"Oh..Okay then, when are we going out?" Abigail asked, "You won't even thank me?!" Clyde laughed like an idiot to which Abigail responded by starring him dead in the eyes leaving him panicking. 

"Now, we go out to get some grocery." Carvo said, "You're my new apprentice, I adopted you from the western orphanage." Carvo continued. 

"Boss, the Protector Legions are keeping an eye on everything these days, rumors say that an owl reported another Thinker in Lady Maria's house, I don't think she should go out now." 

"The city won't get better anytime soon and I can't hide her in my basement anymore.." 

"Are sure she can act normal?" Clyde said, looking at Abigail with the corner of his eyes to which she violently pinched him, "Do you think I'm some kind of a chimp?!" She shouted as he groaned in pain, "Stop using force, goddamit!" He cried and sat away from her. 

"You two keep acting like kids!" Carvo shouted at both of them, the two sat straight looking at each other in disgust, but Clyde's fear was still obvious. 

"Listen, Abby, there's only a week left till Fullmoon, till then, you and I will have to merge in perfectly. I will be studying your anatomy in detail to figure out how to cut your signal from other Mooncallers." 

"What happens at Fullmoon?" 

"Uh-It's.." Carvo trembled. 

"You'll eat us." Clyde sighed, Carvo pinched him. "You are useless! Get out, Clyde! Go!" Carvo shouted at Clyde who then pleaded to stay while Abigail just starred in horror. 

"It's not like that..We'll discuss this later, don't worry, Abby..Just trust me, okay?" Carvo said, holding Abigail's hand and calming her down. Abigail seemed to be miserable and worried, rethinking Carvo's plan to go out and 'merge with the public'. 

"Alright..Ellie, right?" Abigail sighed, gathering all of her strength as she got up and fixed herself, making sure nobody notices anything strange in her appearance. 

"Are you ready?" Carvo said, Abigail nodded in agreement. "Is the street clear, Clyde?" He asked Clyde, "Yes, I can't guarantee the neighbor's reaction though." Clyde said as he got up while still keeping an eye on Abigail.  

"They can't do anything, I got her from an orphanage overnight! You know they can't suspect anything, the fear me." Carvo explained, "Go now, Clyde. We don't want to raise suspicion among your division" He continued, and Clyde excused himself and left. 

Clyde was neutral. Carvo thought to himself that it was okay to trust him, he had known this boy since he was a child. Clyde was usually driven out of fear to do things, that's why he joined The Protectors Legions, being afraid of Mooncallers led him to do everything he can to be courageous rather than being a coward, that's why Carvo knew Clyde wouldn't take the left path and betray them, but still, he kept an eye out for his behavior and moves. 

Thirty minutes had passed and the siblings decided to go to the market, Abigail wore her coat and hood and followed Carvo out of his den to the icy city. 

Boneclad became something so strange and horrifying to Abigail that her eyes were wide opened in fear. The white snow was blackened by the ashes of the burnt corpses, and the streets were red by the leftovers of these corpses. In spite of all those gruesome sceneries the people of Boneclad were out there in the streets playing and living their life normally.

The beautiful architecture of Boneclad was smudged by blood and repulsive messages, Abigail who could only remember the city in it's glory was saddened of what had become of this heaven, she would walk with her head down in disbelief and her hands tightly holding Carvo. They walked right past the priest who hardly had any listeners and right past The Protector Legions division who was cleaning the streets and setting barriers. 

"I know it's scary." Carvo sighed. 

"It's so different..Not what I remember.." Abigail said in a depressive tone. 

"That city witnessed unimaginable losses, all that's left is the remains of its magnificent technology and architecture, enough to make us last for one more fight." 

"Why didn't America send us any help? Weren't they our greatest ally?"

"I'd rather they don't send any help unless you want us to become an American colony with a peace treaty with Mooncallers." 

"Oh..As I thought.." 

The siblings reached the market and once they stepped foot into the crowded area Abigail's stress skyrocketed and her steps became tangled. Carvo dragged her alongside him like a doll until they reached the vegetables vendor. 

"Make me the regular list, Vince, and be quick." Carvo said, handing the vendor some money. Vince, the vendor, kept looking at Abigail curiously as she kept looking around her, Abigail was struggling with adjusting but deep inside, she somehow felt superior to all those around her, it was a mystery how she still carries emotions. 

"Who's the kid, old man?" Vince said, packing up Carvo's order while looking at her, "This is Ellie, my new apprentice! she'll be helping me from now on." Carvo said, smiling in joy trying to hide any suspicious behavior. 

As both Carvo and Vince spoke, Abigail felt a sudden beat in her chest like a stinging sensation that left her was an obvious agonized expression.

The beating grew stronger and stronger, she started looking around her as she felt an imminent danger approaching her. Carvo noticed her distress and was only about to escort her out of the market, but it was too late. 

"You've awaken, Abigail..Finally" Said a feminine voice behind Abigail's back, it was Lady Maria's voice, but a Mooncaller's mind.

1