Chapter Eight, The Tension Rises.
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The panic has risen in the city's heart once George's corpse was seen by many, Carvo, Abigail and Clyde felt an aching burden on their heart. The knowledge they possessed kept them divided at will yet united by heart. Clyde wanted to protect the city as well as his sister, Clyde wished to use Abigail as a pawn or throw her out of the game and Abigail only wished to redeem herself of the poisonous nature she carries. 

Which side will you pick, Abigail? The innocent powerless rats whose failure is imminent? or the vicious monsters whose claws are sharp enough to tear down this city's iron barrier? You know which side you wish to help, but your heart doesn't follow your will. Something twitches in your lifeless body, is it love? fear? 

Or is it the will to have revenge?

As Abigail stood her ground, swallowing Clyde's loathing looks, a choice was made. A choice that Carvo knew he could never interfere in, the battle for Boneclad begins.

"You know Brando could be setting a trap for you as we speak?" Carvo said in a concerned tone as he walked closer to Abigail.

"So be it. If he doesn't, Andrew will. And if Andrew doesn't..Clyde..will" Abigail said as she boldly looked into Clyde's hateful eyes, this young man was like an open book to all those who knew him, unable to veil his emotions when necessary. Carvo and Abigail became aware of his threatening demeanor, and as he silently got up and walked towards the door.

Abigail didn't hesitate before she jumped across the room in an unimaginable speed that left Clyde paralyzed in his place. She held the door knob with her hand and deeply stared into Clyde's terrified eyes.

"Why is it so hard for you to understand? I'm the victim here! I'm the one who was stolen, mutilated and killed by YOUR kind! And you..you dare to act scared of me! I'm the one who's scared of everyone in this damned city!" Abigail cried in Clyde's face as he was shocked of her reaction. Having kept her mouth shut since she awakened made her feelings non-existent to him. Her words left him silent and ashamed. He daren't look into her furious eyes or utter any of his irritating words, but Abigail can no longer stay silent.

"Speak to me! tell me why are you so dense, so hateful! It is ME who is planning to save you after all of you have made me the monster you fear, and yet, you choose to become my enemy..A threat to my existence." Abigail cried as she pushed Abigail backwards, away from the door.

"You mistake my kindness for weakness, soldier." Abigail said, laying her artificial hand on Clyde's neck menacingly.

"I won't hesitate to snap your neck if you stand in my way." 

"Abby, That's enough! Clyde would never do that!" Carvo interfered and held Abigail back as Clyde was almost breathless, "Go out, now!" Carvo said, Clyde left at once.

It was at this moment that Carvo saw something in Abigail that changed his world. Her eyes weren't that of a child anymore, her words were something his sister would never say. Carvo became aware of Abigail's terrifying new nature, she is not what he thought she would be.

"What was that, Abby?" Carvo said, Abigail didn't answer, instead, she went downstairs.

Carvo followed Abigail hastily, "Did you mean it..?" He asked her calmly, she ignored him once again. "Abby, Answer me!" Carvo, unlike his calm attitude, shouted at Abigail who was ignoring him as she sat on her chair.

"You wouldn't kill anyone here. I know it." Carvo said as he sat down beside her, looking deep into her eyes and proving himself wrong.

"You trust me so much that it's painful for me to act on my own.." Abigail sighed in frustration. "I've already made my decision." She continued.

Carvo breathed heavily and looked at Abigail, "What's it?" He asked.

"I'm pursuing that man." She said in great confidence.

Carvo's eyes were wide opened. He was terrified of the thought but he would be lying if he believed he didn't expect this to happen.

"No. No! I said no! You're not meeting this guy!" Carvo shouted. "We have discussed this already and the choice has been made, you're not going." He said, bursting from his seat and running around the room.

"There's nothing you can do." Abigail said in a threatening tone. "I have the upper hand here." She continued.

Silence went on between the two until Carvo left the basement in anger leaving Abigail behind.  His concerns were being affirmed every minute by Abigail's surprising behavior. Clyde left and took all of the siblings' secrets with him.

When confronted with their weakness, humans tend to exert all of their power to bury that trait and overshadow it with a mirage of strength. Abigail's weakness was her attachment to her human self that was long dead and gone. She was feeding off her memories, breathing the feelings she once felt but as the full-moon became closer, Abigail's dead heart was awakened by the luring call of deadly revenge.

Sir Dunken's office.

Andrew walked around Dunken's office in distress as a stack of papers were billing on his desk. "I can't believe we were this weak, they infiltrated our quarters already!" Andrew said, sweating nervously.

"Sit down Andrew, you're making me dizzy." Sir Dunken said, Andrew didn't listen. "We already have reports of a young Mooncaller, but the one that killed George was a cloaked woman, do we have a mother and child?" Andrew concluded as he walked around the office.

"Sit down boy, I won't repeat my words." Dunken sighed as he went through the papers, once again ordering Andrew to sit down.

"Worst case scenario is that we have a traitor among us, I'm afraid-" Andrew said but was suddenly interrupted by the loud thud of Dunken's fist hitting his desk. "I swear to god Andrew, I will throw you out of this office immediately." He threatened Andrew who had no choice but to obey his orders and sit down.

"George's death made our position in the eyes of the public weak, all of the circumstances are against us." Dunken said, "This year's winter is hard, the city's engines are still not functioning after all that we have exerted on it and worst of all, our farming dooms are being attacked by the hordes in every fullmoon, everything is aligning against us but we shall not give up, so please, calm down." Dunken said as he read through the stacks of documents on his desk while Andrew slowly sunk into his chair.

The office was a beautiful piece of art. The ceiling had several angel-like statuses sculpted on it, the light-source in the room was mainly orbs carried by the angel statuses in the corner of the grand room, Dunken's fancy throne-like chair was encrusted by two Mooncallers wired skulls that were regularly maintained by artists. Behind his chair, a replica of the Mona-lisa was hung on the shimmering white wall. It was gifted to the ministry of defense by the president president, Vladimir Putin.

"Give me the permission to pursue the young Mooncaller." Andrew firmly asked.

"I would if I saw you confident about your brother's testimony, however, I could tell you're doing this out of spite to prove your brother wrong and have him executed." Dunken sighed, seeing right through Andrew's trick.

"Sir, I believe that we should be holding on tightly on every lead we get, even if it was false." Andrew said, "My prediction is that we have more than three thinkers in the city, the faster we act the more lives we can save." he continued with great confidence in his tone. Andrew took out a document and handed it to Dunken, "This case right here was a police issue where they were called to a woman's house in a welfare check after a loud scream was heard." Andrew said, "And?" Dunken inquired, still with little to no interest.

"I am requesting the permission to place monitoring owls on this house. I believe that this was the sound of a thinker devouring that poor woman." Andrew asked, looking at Dunken with great hopes.

"I won't waste our resources on a noise complaint, it may have been a domestic abuse issue or even just a stray scream." Dunken said as he read the report and put it away.

"Sir, please! Have I ever failed you?" Andrew's fierce eyes turned into a puppy's one, begging Dunken like a child.

Dunken remained silent, going through his documents and inspecting them carefully. Andrew waited impatiently as Dunken sighed and looked at Andrew who was burning with anticipation.

"I will sign you this paper only to assign three monitoring owls on this lady's house, but, I will not give you the permission to pursue the young mooncaller until this case is closed, if your prediction is wrong your request will be refused." Dunken said, signing the order and handing it to Andrew who burst out of his chair in excitement. "You shall have only two soldiers by your side, choose wisely." Dunken said as Andrew excused himself. "Thank you, sir!" He said, "I won't fail you." He continued as walked out of the door.

"Joe! Call Marclyen and Clyde to my office." Andrew said to his assistant.

As Andrew pulled the string to reveal the city's disguised monsters, Abigail was readying herself to meet Brando. Hope is fading as Clyde stands on the dividing line.

0