2: My Family History.
117 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why is it so hard to move!? All month all I ever did was try to pull my body up. Note the keyword trying. But to no avail, my efforts led me to frustration. But soon just you wait, I would be conquering this body, soon. Although to make my weeks irritating, my brother, Ethan, was just crying every time he was awake.

And what even annoyed me the most was the maids bustling to and fro, fumbling around my crying brother. As I observed them there were two young girls who frequently served my brother and one middle-aged man whom I think was the assistant head butler.

The butler was a bit chubby and stout for his age but from what I heard about him, he seemed to be good at his job.

Anyways, Ethan was so irritable these past few days. As I sat on my nanny's lap, I continued to look at my brother. My nanny was the woman I saw from the first day I came to consciousness and I heard the younger maids called her Emma.

There was one other girl who also took care of me when Emma was not around, and I liked her since she was quiet when she worked - unlike the chatty maids around my brother. Although their one advantage was that they were my source of information.

Right now, the two maids fumbled to make my brother stop crying. They asked if he was hungry, or did he want toys or something like that. After trying all that out, they were just about out of their minds on what to do. If only I could talk to him and slap him out of his misery.

Weren't we twins? Don't we have some connection or something?

Just then, my Emma who was looking after me offered her experience. "Look after little Emilia. I'll take care of the young master."

Wait, who told you to go? No, Emma! I liked Emma's touch since she was so gentle. When the other maids tried to cradle me, I could sense discomfort.

One of the maids took me and I willed myself not to complain. Because ever since I tried to, I involuntarily cried. 

And I don't like crying because after I cried, my body felt like I just wasted a considerable amount of energy. And so often, I controlled myself from remotely expressing my feelings.

Emma picked my brother up and cradled him to make him sleepy. After a few seconds, Ethan had just calmed himself down. Emma's an expert!

"Lady Emma, how do you know how to calm him?" asked one of the maids. I think her name was Trisha.

"Some babies need to feel the warmth. And the young master is very demanding in terms of touch," Emma softly spoke while hushing my brother to sleep.

Trisha replied, "So lady Emilia here is one of the babies who is less work. She's so very gentle." Trisha made me look at her and played with me. She tried to make me jump on her lap several times. It was more of an exercise for my body so I didn't complain.

"Look! She's playing with me. Oh, lady Emilia's eyes are very beautiful." Trisha gushed and widely smiled at me.

"Indeed. Lady Emilia is quiet and calm. I'll bet she will be a graceful lady in the future." I heard Emma talking and it seemed Ethan was now reposeful.

"She will be just like princess Lillian, I'm sure," the maid who had hair like ebony and liked to listen to Trisha gossiping answered with admiration.

Trisha stopped playing with me and whispered something. "How is princess Lillian? Ever since she gave birth six months ago, she seemed to be sicklier." Her voice was low as if they were telling a secret.

I heard Emma sigh and a hint of sadness in her voice. "She just needs to rest, that's all."

So, from the information I'd gathered in a month, my mother, Lillian Peyton Fitzwalter, was a princess in this kingdom of Glarios. And my father, Edward Wilton Redgrave, was the hero and was given the title Duke for his epic contributions to conquering the Demonic Hierarchy and subduing the Prince of Darkness, Lucifer. This happened almost three years ago.

So for a quick summary about the family history - it was the assistant head butler, Gordon, who bragged this story to us every night when we were about to sleep - my father was the son of Viscount Aston Neel Redgrave and Viscountess Heather Brigit Redgrave who had a business empire, selling books and artifacts. He was the only child of the couple and even considered him a miracle since it has been known that the Redgrave family has no direct heir because of infertility, some said.

The happy couple spoiled their son until their unfortunate death when he was 12 years old. My father then inherited the Redgrave business with the support of his old uncle. And at that time, demons ran rampant where the darkness could reach.

It was ancient history since the demons rebelled against God and created chaos and spread evil everywhere. It was a cold, brutal, and long war against them.

Anyways, during that time, all of the kingdoms decided to unite and stop the Demon Hierarchies. Every kingdom demanded all able-bodied to take up the sword and become a knight. My father was included. He came as a prodigy, having sacred powers surpassing others of his age. And for 10 bitter years, he endured the massacre in the front lines.

And at last, the Spheres, which was the united army called, reached Lucifer and his spawns. It was my father who led the unit which vanquished the last of the demon army. Although some demons remained after and hid.

I don't know if there were any exaggerations in the story but the assistant butler was very passionate when he was telling it, even though his audience were babies. Though I appreciated his efforts and my knowledge about my family increased.

And about my mother, she was the first princess of the Kingdom of Glarios. Although she was part of the royal family, my mother didn't have the royal name, Regnier, for my mother was a daughter of a concubine. Only the Queen Consort and her children would bear the royal name, and whoever the king bestowed it onto. But tradition always set that to avoid further conflict, the king would only grant the name Regnier to his direct heir or lineage. 

My mother was of gentle stature and a substantial beauty as the bards would greatly sing. Even though the king gave her as a prize to my father, she was honored to be the wife of the world's hero. And thus, my brother and I were born.

And now I noticed that my mother was sick, as the maids would chat away. They didn't know that I could understand them. My mother would come to feed us but she wouldn't stay any longer. She would just sadly smile and bid us goodbye. And when she didn't feed us, there were wet nurses who took care of us.

During those times, I wondered what my mother meant that I was the child of light. Was it because I was the daughter of the world's hero? Then why would she say that I had to protect Ethan when he was my twin?

A few thoughts in and I could feel sleepiness in my body. A baby's mind sure was feeble.

"Ahh, Lady Emilia wants to sleep," Trisha whispered and held me gently as if to lull me into slumber. My eyelids felt heavy as Trisha went over to my crib and laid me down.

"Ruby, stay here and look after them." I heard Emma say and a second later, some muffled footsteps and the door opening and closing. From then on, silence crept in. But a minute later, I could hear Ruby's smooth humming and the sounds of her stitching.

All the while, I could see the flowers and crystals twinkling above my crib. It was a beautiful sight. As my head got heavier, it naturally fell onto my side and my sights set upon Ethan who was peacefully sleeping.

He was a small boy, the others said. I was relatively bigger and heavier than him, the others compared. I was gentle and quiet since I was healthier while Ethan kept crying for he was sick.

I wondered if he too had a conscience like mine. If he could understand everything around him - if he could explain why he was crying so much. For a minute, I looked at my twin and I had the sudden urge to touch him. What is this feeling?

I went back to the time when mother said to protect him. Is this what it is?

For a second, as my sight went darker, I saw black lines on Ethan's body. What was that? But I fell into a deep sleep.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Something was poking my cheek. I was still half asleep when it poked me again. It was a careful touch, although to me who was sleeping, it was nothing but careful. It was purposely done so I would wake.

As I slowly opened my eyes, the light blinded me for a second. What the hell? It was still in the afternoon? Every time I sleep after lunch, I always wake up in the evening. It was a baby's routine. Who would dare wake me up?!

Then I stared at his amber eyes. Ugh, not him again.

It was the kingdom's hero, my father, Duke Edward Wilton Redgrave. He would always poke me at my cheek, laughing as he was saying that it was chubby.

"Ahh, you're finally awake," he casually spoke. I blinked at him as he picked me up gingerly, his large hands sent me to panic. He noticed my discomfort as he stared at my eyes, and he shifted to a more pleasant position.

"There, is it comfortable enough?" he asked me and surprisingly enough, I didn't complain.

"I would want to wake your brother too, but he'll just cry all day." My father sat on a chair and I realized there was somebody else in the room.

"Why would you even wake them? They need to sleep." I stared at an old man, his face lined with wrinkles and creases, and his thin white hair was tied neatly into a ponytail. I saw his hazel brown eyes and it looked like he was tired. 

"I need to sleep," the man continued. He was standing beside the round table.

"Uncle, it's the only break we have this week, and the only time I get to see them," my father answered.

Since he's my father's uncle, does it make him my great uncle? I carefully looked at him and noticed that his clothes looked fanciful with dark blue silk and gold linings stitched beautifully.

"See, she's looking at you. Say hello to my cute daughter, uncle."

From then on, I felt something trickling down my mouth. Was that my saliva? Ew.

I complained to them by waving my hand around so that they would wipe it clean, and my great uncle gently obliged. "Hello, lady Emilia. Do you remember me?"

I tried to say no but the words didn't properly come out of my mouth. Both of them chuckled at my indistinguishable noise and I could only respond by kicking my feet.

"Your parents would be so proud of you, Ed. If they could see you now with your children, I'm sure they'd be so happy," my great uncle softly spoke, giving a warm little smile.

My father didn't say anything and just nodded. I felt his grip around me tighten as he tried to speak. "Could you find me some information about their death 16 years ago?"

Great uncle sighed heavily at my father's request. "It's been a long time, Ed. But I'll try."

"That time, I'd been so busy with their death, the business, and the sudden enlistment that I didn't really get to process their accident." I heard my father sigh and my great uncle looked so sad.

Their death was an accident? It must have been hard for my father.

"Have Arthur help you in your search," my father continued speaking while playing with my hands.

Great uncle bowed his head a little. "Yes, Your Grace."

After their little talk, both of them turned their attention to me with my father laughing at my antics. Sometimes, I get this familiar sensation every time I see my father. It wasn't like the warm familiarity with my mother. It was something else and I couldn't describe it.

Anyway, playing with my father sure was exhausting. Maybe it was because of his training as a knight? I bet he's also strict.

When will I be able to talk?! I've been practicing by somehow making a sound but it was so hard. Why did I even reincarnate as a baby with my consciousness intact? It was so frustrating. And my memories seemed to be gone.

The head butler came in with Emma and it meant that playtime with my father would end. He gave me to Emma and kissed me on my forehead. "I'll see you soon." He did the same with Ethan albeit the latter peacefully sleeping.

The three of them left the room and Emma lulled me to sleep, once again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It was already evening and mother had just finished feeding us. As always, I was the first one to be awoken and fed while Ethan was still sleeping. As I waited for Emma and the other maids to come and take care of us, mother stayed and sat at the table, watching us carefully in our cribs.

She did not wear her usual evening clothes, instead, it was something a princess would definitely wear.  It was a beautiful yellow with white laces and ribbons as a decoration.

Both Ethan and I were laying on our backs. And it was eerily quiet tonight. I didn't hear the maids bustling nor Ethan crying even if he was awake. It seemed like a miracle.

But then mother broke the silence as she stood up, walked toward us, and smiled. "You'll be meeting my father tonight. He's very excited to meet you." Mother stroked my head gently and did the same to Ethan. "The king is so busy nowadays that he couldn't meet you when you were born. Now, he'll finally give his blessings to you."

The king? The king himself will be coming here?! I suddenly remembered that my mother was a princess before becoming Duchess Redgrave. Wow, talk about royal lineage.

As I stared at the figure in front of me, I saw a hint of worry passing by at mother's face. "Everything will be okay. He'll give his blessing so it will be alright. He must give his blessing," mother spoke as if she was assuring herself to be fine. I could see in her eyes that she was definitely determined and distressed at the same time.

What will happen?

After a long time of waiting to the point where I became drowsy, finally, the door opened and I heard someone speak loudly. "His Majesty, King Henry Giraut Regnier."

Mother stood up and curtsied as a sign of respect. With all the commotion at the door, I was frustrated that I couldn't move my body properly and see what was happening. I focused on my hearing to make sense of my surroundings.

"Duchess Redgrave greets His Majesty." I heard my mother speak formally.

Then a reply with a gruff though a hearty voice came. "Ah, my beautiful Lily. How are you these days?"

"I am fine, Your Majesty," answered mother softly.

I heard the door closed and muffled sounds reverberating around the room. What are they doing? I can't see them! As I was lying on my back, I really could not see them. I looked sideways and saw Ethan on his crib staring at the ceiling.

Although somehow, I felt that all four of us were the only ones present in the room.

"You're thinner than the last time I saw you, Lily. Your face looks gaunt. Are you sick?" the king asked in a light tone. It seemed that he was worried. I was worried too.

"No, father, I'm really fine. I just need a little more time to rest."

Silence crept once more and I stopped the urge to shout and asked what they were doing. I heard the chairs scraped on the floor. They were sitting?

"I talked to Edward a while ago. He requested for the royal physician so he could take a look at you. He even told me that you rejected the two practitioners he employed. What's wrong with you? I feel your aura waning."

Aura? That word seems familiar to me...

I heard my mother softly sigh but I was surprised that her voice came out rather willfully. "I was already checked upon after my labor. The first physician has spoken that I should get rest and take some medicine, that's all there is to it," my mother stubbornly said.

The king murmured at his daughter's resolve and the latter comforted him. "That's enough of that. I'll see my grandchildren now." Footsteps reverberated and I could feel my heart beating faster. 

I'm meeting the king and he's my grandfather.

I saw a middle-aged man, probably in his late 50's. He had light blonde hair with white streaks and stormy blue eyes that seemed to hold authority. He also had a mustache forming around his mouth. His features were similar to that of practitioners and physicians that I saw. I sensed that he was very knowledgeable.

I set my sight upon his clothes and saw extravagant red regalia.

"Ahh, and this must be Emilia," the king spoke to me and I could only blink at his presence. "Twins, it's a rare occasion. Who was the first?"

"It was Emilia, Your Majesty," mother answered. First to be born, I guess.

I saw the king nod and he looked at Ethan. "And this is Ethan. They really look like," the king stated and I saw that he returned his gaze to me and back at my brother as if he was comparing the two of us. "Except for their eyes," the king added.

It was quiet for a little bit as I sensed that the king was deep in thought. It was getting intense and uncomfortable. I glanced at Ethan and saw that he was squirming on his bed. And I watched my mother's eyes filled with conflict.

What is with this tense atmosphere?

Suddenly, what happened next left me confused.

"What did you do, Lillian?" the king's voice boomed around the room. I saw my mother stiffen and she suddenly had tears in her eyes. The light from the lamp was bright and clear that I could vividly see my mother's crying face and the king's stern one.

"I had no choice but to do it, Your Majesty. It was the only way," my mother sobbed gently as if to avoid creating any loud noise. I witnessed how my mother ambled closer to the king and touched him gently. "Father please, help me. You're the only one who could do it, please."

What's wrong? What did you do?

King Henry's eyes closed as I saw his forehead wrinkled, and a frown set upon his mouth. And without further hesitation, he reached out to both of us. His large and smooth hands touched our foreheads, his stormy eyes opened with conviction.

I could hold back my surprise but I sensed Ethan would be crying in a moment. But all was silent when the king opened his mouth. "By Regnier's Authority, and by the grace of the True God, I, Henry Giraut Regnier, bestow Emilia Kinsley and Ethan Dunne the royal family name, Regnier."

Wait. What? Why did he give us the royal name?

Amidst the confusion, I felt something warm at the king's hand. A few seconds in and a subtle glow could be seen in my eyes. The king continued, "By the power bequeathed upon me, King of Glarios, you shall be called Emilia Kinsley Regnier and Ethan Dunne Regnier, according to the laws of the kingdom and by the guidance of God."

As he said that, a blinding gold light flashed in my eyes. I instantly tried to close my eyes but I still could see the glare. I heard Ethan crying since it was kind of hot. But hell, what in the world is happening?

The king sighed heavily as the situation passed in an instant. I felt his hand leaving my forehead. "This should never leave this place, Lillian. You must not reveal I blessed them. Do you understand what could happen?"

Mother actually bawled at this point. "Thank you father, thank you. I understand what I must do," mother cried.

The king turned his back at us and started to walk out of the room. But he suddenly stopped and spoke sternly to his daughter. "It's already late, so come to the palace tomorrow. You'll have to explain everything to me."

Even when my brother was crying, I heard mother meekly answer, and the king's heavy footsteps towards the door. What had just happened?

6